HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2012, 05:06 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosuke View Post
And.. how does that change for Grigo...? That argument doesn't stand in choosing between both players, since both would equally be observed, scrutinized and held with high expectations in Montreal.
Yakupov will be chased by the media IMMEDIATELY after being drafted because of his post-Canada game comments at the WJC. Grigo will be treated a lot better and get a longer leash with the media because of being drafted out of the QMJHL.

Old
02-05-2012, 05:23 AM
Kyosuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Yakupov will be chased by the media IMMEDIATELY after being drafted because of his post-Canada game comments at the WJC. Grigo will be treated a lot better and get a longer leash with the media because of being drafted out of the QMJHL.
If anything Nail's pre- and post-Canada comments will be the least of his worries, every player is rooting for their respective country and that's understandable. If he's chased away by that alone, it would be proof that he is just not mature enough to be the recipient of irrelevant discussions.

As for Grigorenko coming out of the Q. It's not, and never was, a question of coming from a Quebec affiliated organization; rather, it was whether this guy is French/Quebecer/can speak the language. These arguments will never hit the headlines aside from the day after the draft. I highly doubt that if we picked Yakupov, the story would be "Why Yakupov, when Grigo is from the QMJHL?"... frankly it'll be far from it and instead something rather positive to shake off our horrible season.

Old
02-05-2012, 05:58 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Grigorenko for me. I love Yakupov..but I can't help but be worried about size and injuries..

Grig is 6"2-6"3, fantastic skater and can find the tape of any stick on the ice. However, with that being said, I would love either one of these guys.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Halifaxhab*

Grigorenko.

He's got great size, protects the puck well. He has a laser shot but best of all he is an amazing playmaker. He'd fill a long standing organizational need.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:35 AM
wedge

I would take Grigo just because we need this big center. Seems like their is some Malkin in this boy from what I've read. Yakupov is another smallish winger. We've had too many of those in the past.. 15-20 years. Granted, we've never had one even close to be as talented as him, but still, I'll take the big center before.

The only thing that scares me is if we draft another **** defenseman. If we lose on the big three forwards, I almost want us to trade down and get some other young players in the process.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:58 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I voted other...I would consider trading down if it acquired proven #1 center, and still could draft player I want . For 3 reasons, 1) All top 3 draftees have a negative to their game. On draft day, drafts are generally overrated.(Can get over payment in trade) 2) Can't expect either 18 year old to put up big numbers for 2-3 years. (rest of team is ready now)3) This isn't a franchise type player draft...no Crosby, Lafleur or even a Stamko types. Often best player in these kind of drafts come later on ie. Pacioretty or Giroux.

Old
02-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Habitant le colon

Grigorenko can play center or left bring size and speed and he's already able to stand the Quebec media.

Old
02-05-2012, 07:39 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Girgensons seems to fit the Timmins mold as far as foward go. I was talking about him when the pick looked top 10 but I actually wouldn't hate getting him even top 5. Say they feel he has as much upside as the Ds on board and Grigorenko, Galchenyuk and Yakupov are gone, it's probably between Forsberg and Girgensons at that point. And I hope people will stop talking about Gaunce now that the pick looks like it's gonna be top 5, I would have only liked him with a second, about where we picked last year, first rounder. And he doesn't seem to fit the Timmins mold anyway.

Old
02-05-2012, 07:48 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
My draft list for now:

1. Grigorenko
2. Yakupov
3. Galchenyuk

Any of those 3 would be awesome.
If we're drafting 2nd... Yakupov would be a steal. He has Stamkos, Tavares numbers... he'll be as good.

Grigorenko is close, but I don't seem him as a sure fire star like Yakupov.

Forsberg is still no3 in my book. Galchenyuk is interesting, but hasn't played in a year and how much of his production last year was the product of playing with Yakupov ? In junior hockey, stats are really inflated by your teammates/team.

1. Yakupov
2. Grigorenko
3. Forsberg
4. Galchenyuk

... and no defenceman !!!!!

Old
02-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Habitant le colon

Yakupov

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=130572

Awards

Award - Date
OHL Rookie of the Month November 4, 2010 ; February 3, 2011 ;March 4, 2011[10]
OHL First All-Rookie Team April 7, 2011[11]
OHL Rookie of the Year April 7, 2011[11]
BMO Rookie of the Year (CHL) May 28, 2011[12]
CHL Player of the Week October 18, 2011[16]
OHL Player of the Month October, 2011

International

Yakupov was part of Team Russia in the 2011 World Junior U18 championship. He scored a hat trick in the bronze-medal game, including an empty-net goal with four seconds left, helping defeat Team Canada (with Sting teammate Brett Ritchie) 6-4.[17]

Yakupov was part of the 2011-12 World Junior Championship, joining Team Russia. His team defeated Canada in the semifinals but lost 1-0 to Sweden in the gold medal game, acquiring a silver medal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grigorenko

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=143915
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=42435

this stat show that both can play right wing !! lol i was sure that Grigorenko can play left side too ...

Old
02-05-2012, 08:28 AM
onice

I heard on the news that Yakupov was suspended for 2 games because he didn't go to the prospect game. This kid could be a loose cannon and if we get him we will have to handle him with care.

That plus the fact that some Russians want to stay home they feel the KHL is a comparable league plus the fact he gave an iffy speech after the Juniors plus the fact that these Habs of recent have had a putrid history of handling Eastern European players: (Sergei K, Grabovski. Perezhogin, Valetanko) all those factors frighten me.

With Bozo The Clown as GM and Eugene The Village Idiot as his adviser, I can see ample opportunity for failure here.

Last edited by onice: 02-05-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old
02-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Brett Connolly seems pretty good as a 19 year old now, and he didnt play a game during his draft year with a similar injury.

Meanwhile rumors are that Galchenyuk will be back March 1st.

Plenty of time to test that knee.
I hope he comes back early and does great! That would be great news for the top 5, if Galchenyuk shows well. I'm just sketchy about ranking him up there right now, before his return.

Looking at the players taken immediately after Connolly, that pick doesn't look so great now - http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2010e.html

Old
02-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Roulin

Yakupov. We've gotten to see him carry an otherwise weak Sarnia team on his back. Grigorenko is having a great season, but the Remparts have done fine without him, it's hard to tell who's driving the bus. I wish Grigorenko was fully healthy during the WJC - as it is, we've only seen Yakupov excel against top competition.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Fozz

Good report on Galchenyuk here:
http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ist&Itemid=117

On another note, I'm a fan of Lukas Sutter's game and I think he'd be a great addition to the prospect pool. He's just so smart out there and though to play against. Not at all flashy but he'll go to battle and help you win. Plus, he brings that in your face, no backing down, stand your ground and drop the mits style that the Habs sorely lack. Similar to Ryan White but slightly bigger and might already be a better skater. I'd be all over him if he's still available in the 2nd round. Better option than Tom Wilson, IMO.

Last edited by Fozz: 02-05-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old
02-05-2012, 08:43 AM
poetryinmotion

Personally I would throw everything plus the kitchen sink at Columbus to acquire 1st overall.. minus Carey Price and our very own 1st rounder.

Then we draft both, and become the Pittsburgh Penguin's version of Crosby/Malkin.

If not do everything to get Grigorenko/Galchenyuk.

Would be a dream draft

Old
02-05-2012, 08:45 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Personally I would throw everything plus the kitchen sink at Columbus to acquire 1st overall.. minus Carey Price and our very own 1st rounder.

Then we draft both, and become the Pittsburgh Penguin's version of Crosby/Malkin.

If not do everything to get Grigorenko/Galchenyuk.

Would be a dream draft
Mr Gauthier, your English is impeccable.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I heard on the news that Yakupov was suspended for 2 games because he didn't go to the prospect game. This kid could be a loose cannon and if we get him we will have to handle him with care.

That plus the fact that some Russians want to stay home they feel the KHL is a comparable league plus the fact he gave an iffy speech after the Juniors plus the fact that these Habs of recent have had a putrid history of handling Eastern European players: (Sergei K, Grabovski. Perezhogin, Valetanko) all those factors frighten me.

With Bozo The Clown as GM and Eugene The Village Idiot as his adviser, I can see ample opportunity for failure here.
So the habs would be stupid to pick the number one ranked prospect if they would have the first overall pick?

Sure.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:52 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So the habs would be stupid to pick the number one ranked prospect if they would have the first overall pick?

Sure.
Go back and read my post. I think you misunderstood it. But that's okay, I understand. You spend most of your day reading Greek.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Andy

Quote:
Go back and read my post. I think you misunderstood it. But that's okay, I understand. You spend most of your day reading Greek.
It's better than spending my days whining about a hockey club I don't play for.

Also you post was clear as day. You are skeptical about Yakupov's ability to perform here and you think that PG will "screw it up" because he'll pick the player that won't perform here.

The same old fear mongering. "our management is so bad they are going to pick the player with the headcase".

Your post was pretty reasonable, then you make a stupid comment for the sake of making it.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Habs still need a top end centre.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:09 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's better than spending my days whining about a hockey club I don't play for.

Also you post was clear as day. You are skeptical about Yakupov's ability to perform here and you think that PG will "screw it up" because he'll pick the player that won't perform here.

The same old fear mongering. "our management is so bad they are going to pick the player with the headcase".

Your post was pretty reasonable, then you make a stupid comment for the sake of making it.

i will highlight the very important phrases in my post just so I can bring to your attention what I was saying but I doubt it will help with your ability to understand.

Quote:

Now, just so you can take your head out of that dark smelly place, I'll remind you I was on another thread defending and claiming that Trevor Timmins has been the best head scout for the last decade. So I'm not claiming that management will pick the wrong player. I'm claiming that the GM and his assistant are so bad that they will screw this up.

I hope I made it easier for you.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Andy

Quote:
i will highlight the very important phrases in my post just so I can bring to your attention what I was saying but I doubt it will help with your ability to understand.

Now, just so you can take your head out of that dark smaelly place, I'll remind you I was on another post defending and claiming that Trevor Timmins has been the best head scout for the last decade. So I'm not claiming that management will pick the wrong player. I'm claiming that the GM and his assistant are so bad that they will crew this up.

I hope I made it easier for you.
I also thought that PG will be fired at seasons end, so your worry about PG screwing it up isn't a worry at all. Just you taking shots for the sake of taking shots.

Kostitsyn and Emelin also seem to be doing just fine here. I also wouldn't include Valentenko in the same category since he didn't leave and wasn't ignored because of his attitude issues.

Some of these issues are just so overexaggerated.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Kriss E

Yakupov is the better player so far, and is ranked #1, so Yakupov.

People say that Grigorenko is that big center we've been missing, but Eller is as tall and heavier. Get Yakupov, make him play with Eller, and that would solve a problem.

Eller keeps improving, he still lacks some finish, but I'm confident that it's only a question of time. He should also be getting better opportunities. Were he to be paired with Yakupov, and say MaxPac or Cole to add some physicality, I'm sure they would light it up.

Old
02-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Captain Saku

Draft Grigo and Roy would become habs coach instantly

Old
02-05-2012, 09:14 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Yakupov defintely, I watched him play at the WJC and it was terrifying as a fan of Canada. Just roamed about the ice at will

Closed Thread