HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
strutsboa

vCash: 500
I don't know so much about this years draft, but I usually don't like the idea of drafting a defenseman early in the draft.

I took a look at every defenseman that's been drafted in the top-5 since 1995 and while most of them are solid NHL-defensemen, how many of them are really worth using a top-5 pick on? Personally I think the record for forwards/centres in the top-5 is much better.

2011:
#4 Adam Larsson

2010:
#3 Erik Gudbranson

2009:
#2 Victor Hedman

2008:
#2 Drew Doughty
#3 Zach Bogosian
#4 Alex Pietrangelo
#5 Luke Schenn

2007:
#4 Thomas Hickey
#5 Karl Alzner

2006:
#1 Erik Johnson

2005:
#3 Jack Johnson

2004:
#3 Cam Barker

2002:
#3 Jay Bouwmeester
#4 Joni Pitkanen
#5 Ryan Whitney

2000:
#4 Rostislav Klesla

1998:
#3 Brad Stuart
#4 Bryan Allen
#5 Vitali Vishnevsky

1997:
#5 Eric Brewer

1996:
#1 Chris Phillips
#2 Andrei Zyuzin
#5 Ric Jackman

1995:
#1 Bryan Berard
#2 Wade Redden
#3 Aki-Petteri Berg

Maybe this year is different and Trouba, Dumba or Murray will be the next superstar on defence, but I just wanted to post some thoughts.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Forsberg is a likely pick IMO. Safe, yet still has high potential.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
They still have Emelin, Gorges and Diaz. Our defensive depth is accounted for. There's only 6 D dressing. We need a ********* front line superstar. If we pass on one for another defenceman, we're just going to lose games 2-1 all the time.
Picking defencemen seems to be working for Nashville. The difference is Montreal can plug holes in the offence with money, something Nashville is incapable of doing.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
I don't know so much about this years draft, but I usually don't like the idea of drafting a defenseman early in the draft.

I took a look at every defenseman that's been drafted in the top-5 since 1995 and while most of them are solid NHL-defensemen, how many of them are really worth using a top-5 pick on? Personally I think the record for forwards/centres in the top-5 is much better.

2011:
#4 Adam Larsson

2010:
#3 Erik Gudbranson

2009:
#2 Victor Hedman

2008:
#2 Drew Doughty
#3 Zach Bogosian
#4 Alex Pietrangelo
#5 Luke Schenn

2007:
#4 Thomas Hickey
#5 Karl Alzner

2006:
#1 Erik Johnson

2005:
#3 Jack Johnson

2004:
#3 Cam Barker

2002:
#3 Jay Bouwmeester
#4 Joni Pitkanen
#5 Ryan Whitney

2000:
#4 Rostislav Klesla

1998:
#3 Brad Stuart
#4 Bryan Allen
#5 Vitali Vishnevsky

1997:
#5 Eric Brewer

1996:
#1 Chris Phillips
#2 Andrei Zyuzin
#5 Ric Jackman

1995:
#1 Bryan Berard
#2 Wade Redden
#3 Aki-Petteri Berg

Maybe this year is different and Trouba, Dumba or Murray will be the next superstar on defence, but I just wanted to post some thoughts.
Gotta say this doesn't look too good, but again after Yakupov there seems to be risky elements(Grigorenko, Galchenyuk) or simply players that are better suited for 10-15(Girgensons, Gaunce, Collberg, Faksa). This is a very weak and unstable/risky crop of forwards once Yakupov is out of the picture.

Also if I was a betting money, I'd put money on Rielly for better the best Dman to come out from this draft, 5 years from now.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post

[long ass list]

I wouldn't too much stock in a list like that. Every player is his own. Fact of the matter is that a guy that can play 30 solid minutes a game in do-or-die games is incredibly hard to find, but is one of the most important cornerstones in a championship team.

If anything, that list just reminds us that defensemen are a bit of a longer term project than forwards and you can miss the guy that breaks out 1 or 2 years later, and pick the guy that won't be able to develop one aspect of his game enough to turn himself into the projected star.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:10 AM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
By the way.....Forsberg wouldn't be a bad pick either as top 5 player to say the least. And any chance Hertl falls in the 2nd round? Nah....

Here's a scenario for you....we pick around 6 and Forsberg, Girgemsons, Galchenyuk, Yakupov and Grigorenko are out.....yet, the Capitals wants your pick badly for a D, badly enough so they'd give you their 2 1st rounder....do you go for it? I'd honestly be tempted. Chances to pick 1 solid D and a forward or a chance to still keep your big centermen target with Hertl and Nieves who might be too soon with the Caps 2nd rounder but.....So anybody in? If not, who is your pick with all those forwards gone?

Again, I do say I'm tempted. But my mind is not made yet. 'Cause I do love Jacob Trouba as well. Can you believe how strong that defense will be with Trouba on top of everything else? Not an easy call. Trouba WILL be a stud. I guess you can't mess with studs. So pick Trouba and if you HAVE to deal some d-men prospects, well will deal with that accordingly.
Gotta make that trade! Especially since I'd be reticent to take a D-man so high in the draft. Do the deal and try and get 2 of Gaunce, Aberg, Ceci, Frk or Faksa.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Gotta make that trade! Especially since I'd be reticent to take a D-man so high in the draft. Do the deal and try and get 2 of Gaunce, Aberg, Ceci, Frk or Faksa.
There`s also the potential that this crop of dmen turns out to be line the guys from 2008. Wouldn't wanna miss on that to be quite honest.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
TinordiandSubban

New mock draft on NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=77527

The Boston pick made me chuckle.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post

Same here.... That would be something.

Personnally, I will say something big though my analysis isn't done. And I know that top 10 is WAY too early for him......but if you give me the choice between Faksa and Nieves....I take Nieves. I want 2 picks in the 1st round. Let's go Gauthier, make it possible.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:57 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Whats everyone's take on Faksa?

I've heard that he is a ridiculous forward, elite potential, has elite vision, lightning speed, plays gritty, has 6'3 frame 202lbs, and has a ridiculous range of shots and dekes to boot. He kind of came out of nowhere, and could be a top line forward in the NHL.

Thoughts? I'm curious.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Whats everyone's take on Faksa?

I've heard that he is a ridiculous forward, elite potential, has elite vision, lightning speed, plays gritty, has 6'3 frame 202lbs, and has a ridiculous range of shots and dekes to boot. He kind of came out of nowhere, and could be a top line forward in the NHL.

Thoughts? I'm curious.
He's fast, but I doubt he'll end up as a legit first line player.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:

Well that top 4 seems fairly similar to mine, before I edited down and moved Murray down.

:-(

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1091259

Old
02-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:

Nice mock, but IMO Collberg and Girgensons are way too low, while Matteau, Sissons and Athanasiou (wtf?!) are too high. Faksa at 8th... hum, not too sure, and Ceci at 14th ?? Boston pick is funny too

Old
02-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

I still haven't heard anyone say why Grigorenko is riskier than any other top-end draft choice. I'm not saying these people are wrong, I'm just genuinely curious.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
I still haven't heard anyone say why Grigorenko is riskier than any other top-end draft choice. I'm not saying these people are wrong, I'm just genuinely curious.
Happens every year. There's always this consensus top guy that starts to get hated on.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:25 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

I don't have a problem with Faksa at 8 (I'm not sure I like him at 5 or 6 like others have suggested). But as much as I want us to take a forward, it would be hard to leave Trouba on the board at that point...

Old
02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Happens every year. There's always this consensus top guy that starts to get hated on.
Because he's from the QMJHL? la Couturier?

Seriously, I think Grigorenko is a safer choice than Yakupov.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:41 PM
jwolf

How does Faksa measure up to other centers like Gaunce and Girgensons?

Old
02-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Tim Wallach

I'm a Kitchener STH and big Faksa fan, but I'd have real trouble taking him in the top-10. He has a lot of upside, but way too many question marks.

For one, maybe it's the grind of the longer CHL season, but he has slowed down noticeably in the last month or so. He is struggling to create space for himself, isn't getting chances and is getting muscled off the puck more.

Personally, I think when he first came, not only did he have energy, but other teams didn't know him and didn't match against him. Now that they are, he is being rendered less effective.

I still think his good, accurate shot and frame that is ripe for adding bulk are attractive pieces, but no no way do I take him in the top-10. If guys like Dumba and Trouba are there still, they go ahead of him, despite our desperate need for forwards. We can always trade later.

I'm not sure about Gaunce. Big frame, goes to the tough areas, etc. Could be a steal. Could be a Blunden. From their play in the O, there's not much separating them.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
EmelinBOOM74
NHL Managerial Guru

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Forsberg
Galchenyuk
Murray
Faksa
Dumba

This is the order I would like Montreal to select players in the draft. The only toss up is Forsberg/Galchenyuk.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:29 PM
TinordiandSubban

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=615482

Feature on Faksa.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Nice mock, but IMO Collberg and Girgensons are way too low, while Matteau, Sissons and Athanasiou (wtf?!) are too high. Faksa at 8th... hum, not too sure, and Ceci at 14th ?? Boston pick is funny too
Athanasiou....I might be going way too far right now, but he's most likely than not going to make my ND list.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Very interesting. I hate the fact Allan Walsh is his agent tho.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizniewski View Post
Yakupov
Grigorenko
Forsberg
Galchenyuk
Murray
Faksa
Dumba

This is the order I would like Montreal to select players in the draft. The only toss up is Forsberg/Galchenyuk.
Faksa ahead of Trouba and Dumba?

Old
02-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
They still have Emelin, Gorges and Diaz. Our defensive depth is accounted for. There's only 6 D dressing. We need a ********* front line superstar. If we pass on one for another defenceman, we're just going to lose games 2-1 all the time.
Picking a dman top 5, I think the player has to have some offensive upside. I think that a team picking Murray, Trouba, Dumba, Rielly or Ceci will be convinced that they are getting someone who can create scoring opportunities.

Closed Thread