HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Cammalleri: "We play like losers" Update- Misquoted?

Old
01-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

vCash: 500
Some of you guys are real funny blaming Francois Gagnon. True, ever since the Kovalev and yeah I got the tape, days later no I don't have the tape incident, I don't fully trust Gagnon

BUT HE ISN'T WRONG ALL THE TIME.

Go Read Basu's article and the headline is Cammalleri admits ice time is troublesome.

Basu took the more diplomatic route but he's saying the same thing but his meaning is implicit whereas Gagnon was explicit.

"....After hinting to the pack of reporters he was unhappy with his amount of playing time by saying, "I'm not playing as much, so I need to get a little work here in practice to stay in shape," Cammalleri later continued the conversation with NHL.com and a reporter from Montreal newspaper La Presse.

"On the Arnott goal, he was my guy, I wasn't sharp there," Cammalleri said. "But it was my fifth shift of the game and it was the second period. Usually I've made 15 good plays by that point."

Cammalleri was obviously exaggerating to prove a point because the goal came on his ninth shift of the game. But it is true his ice time has dropped significantly since Randy Cunneyworth took over as interim head coach.

Cammalleri played 15:01 on Tuesday night, marking the sixth time in 10 games under Cunneyworth that he failed to reach the 17-minute mark in ice time. It matches the number of times that happened through his 26 full games this season under previous head coach Jacques Martin (Cammalleri played 4:22 when he was injured during the game of Oct. 9).

"I'm used to playing 20 minutes a night," he said."

Here's where you can read the article:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=611212

Pierre McGuire pointed out last year that Cammalleri was unhappy because he didn't get a letter on his jersey. Pierre mentioned that his body language revealed it but he also said Cammalleri is a pro will get over it and return to his old self. I guess Pierre underestimated Mr. Cammalleri's ego and overestimated his professionalism.

Bobby Dollas has mentioned a number of times that Mr Cammalleri has been constantly in the coach's office whining about getting different linemates.

ian laperriere was on RDS yesterday saying that Cammy was a selfish player in LA and this didn't surprise him. He also said most scorers are selfish and not to take it out on Cammy.

Are all these people wrong and out to get our primadonna sniper?

Elliotte Freedman mentioned yesterday on 990 that if the quotes were true, Cunneyworth should play Cammaleri 20-25 minutes against Boston and see how he reacts. I think that would be a mistake. It's like giving in to your child's temper tantrum at the grocery store because you didn't buy 40 different sorts of ice cream.

Last edited by Habs Icing: 01-12-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

Brian Elliotte mentioned yesterday on 990 that if the quotes were true, Cunneyworth should play Cammaleri 20-25 minutes against Boston and see how he reacts. I think that would be a mistake. It's like giving in to your child's temper tantrum at the grocery store because you didn't buy 40 different sorts of ice cream.
Well it isnt like they are screwing up their playoffs chances by doing it for a few games. Not that this type of behavior should be rewarded but you have to do it to either raise his trade value or possibly get him going. If he doesnt get it going then he is out of excuses in the public court of opinion.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Maverik

Quote:

Brian Elliotte mentioned yesterday on 990 that if the quotes were true, Cunneyworth should play Cammaleri 20-25 minutes against Boston and see how he reacts. I think that would be a mistake. It's like giving in to your child's temper tantrum at the grocery store because you didn't buy 40 different sorts of ice cream.
Except it's a grown adult. I would do it, he will understand the message and if he does not pick it up, he should understand going back to 15 minutes.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Some of you guys are real funny blaming Francois Gagnon. True, ever since the Kovalev and yeah I got the tape, days later no I don't have the tape incident, I don't fully trust Gagnon

BUT HE ISN'T WRONG ALL THE TIME.

Go Read Basu's article and the headline is Cammalleri admits ice time is troublesome.

Basu took the more diplomatic route but he's saying the same thing but his meaning is implicit whereas Gagnon was explicit.

"....After hinting to the pack of reporters he was unhappy with his amount of playing time by saying, "I'm not playing as much, so I need to get a little work here in practice to stay in shape," Cammalleri later continued the conversation with NHL.com and a reporter from Montreal newspaper La Presse.

"On the Arnott goal, he was my guy, I wasn't sharp there," Cammalleri said. "But it was my fifth shift of the game and it was the second period. Usually I've made 15 good plays by that point."

Cammalleri was obviously exaggerating to prove a point because the goal came on his ninth shift of the game. But it is true his ice time has dropped significantly since Randy Cunneyworth took over as interim head coach.

Cammalleri played 15:01 on Tuesday night, marking the sixth time in 10 games under Cunneyworth that he failed to reach the 17-minute mark in ice time. It matches the number of times that happened through his 26 full games this season under previous head coach Jacques Martin (Cammalleri played 4:22 when he was injured during the game of Oct. 9).

Here's where you can read the article:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=611212

Pierre McGuire pointed out last year that Cammalleri was unhappy because he didn't get a letter on his jersey. Pierre mentioned that his body language revealed it but he also said Cammalleri is a pro will get over it and return to his old self. I guess Pierre underestimated Mr. Cammalleri's ego and overestimated his professionalism.

Bobby Dollas has mentioned a number of times that Mr Cammalleri has been constantly in the coach's office whining about getting different linemates.

ian laperriere was on RDS yesterday saying that Cammy was a selfish player in LA and this didn't surprise him. He also said most scorers are selfish and not to take it out on Cammy.

Agreed, giving him that ice time would be a mistake as a coach and would show he would be giving in at everything which would lead him to lose his room. He might not coach the Habs passed this season but if he ever wants to coach in the NHL RC should put his foot down and bench the guy

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
Except it's a grown adult. I would do it, he will understand the message and if he does not pick it up, he should understand going back to 15 minutes.
Then what do you do when Mathieu Darche and Mike Blunden complain about their ice? You give them 20 minutes as well?

Old
01-12-2012, 07:39 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
At least Darche plays like he has a pair. Its hard to tell cammy is even on the ice most times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Cammy is the biggest (small) loser of the bunch, the chicken ****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Then what do you do when Mathieu Darche and Mike Blunden complain about their ice? You give them 20 minutes as well?
Seriously ? Re read your question and ask yourself if it makes sense ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Seriously ? Re read your question and ask yourself if it makes sense ?
I used those players as example, you cannot give in as coach but that's my opinion, he does that he lost his room and it's going to get even worse

Old
01-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Some of you guys are real funny blaming Francois Gagnon. True, ever since the Kovalev and yeah I got the tape, days later no I don't have the tape incident, I don't fully trust Gagnon. BUT HE ISN'T WRONG ALL THE TIME.
You should know by now that for some people in this board, journalists are incredibly bad and keep inventing stuff until....a guy is traded or let go. THEN, all the things the journalists came up with were finally true.

Now, while I don't agree to hear such comments from a guy who is struggling a whole lot right now and do act like he does himself play like a loser, I can't disagree with the entirety of his comments. For quite a while now, Habs have rarely been the attackers and mostly the guys who waited for errors to be made and then try to benefit from it. I also keep saying that we are usually playing not to lose instead of to win. So I can't really disagree with that. But then Cammalleri does his very best to destroy the good points he had by claiming he's never been a better player than he is now? Seriously, at that point he makes himself look like a total idiot. Which he surely isn't based on the fact that "some" of his points aren't too far from reality.

But it tells a lot about the leadership in this room and in the management team.

So.....when the only good argument left for the acquisition of Gomez was that it supposably permitted us to get Gionta and Cammy.....can we finally move on with that as well?

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-12-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Jiggernaut

Quote:

Elliotte Freedman mentioned yesterday on 990 that if the quotes were true, Cunneyworth should play Cammaleri 20-25 minutes against Boston and see how he reacts. I think that would be a mistake. It's like giving in to your child's temper tantrum at the grocery store because you didn't buy 40 different sorts of ice cream.
It's funny how people interpret things differently. I for one would be happy to hear Cammy was not happy to get a letter. But since when is Pierre a body language expert. Seriously...

And since when does Bobby Dollas have any insight as to what is being said inside a coaches office. IF, I repeat IF, what he says is true, I would be FAR more concerned as to why radio commentators have access into what is being said behind closed doors between players and coaches. Not what is being said behind those doors.

You know tho Laperriere is probably right. (Although this is his perspective on a certain behavior). Cammy is full aware what he brings to the table. He's not a grinder, a checker, a shut down player. He's a scorer. Plain and simple. He doesn't have the game, size or speed to change to fit those roles. So when you're put in roles, positions, or on lines where you are unable to perform your role to your best ability, and 'complain' about it, it will come off as selfish. Trying to find a fit where you can do what you do best can come off as selfish for sure.

Look at other one dimensional scores in the league, particularly Kessel. They continually play him, regardless of his defensive shortcomings, 'softness', etc. And put him in situations where he can do what he does best. Score.

The biggest case in point is the PP. My god is he mis-used there. Why, why, why is PP always trying to set up the Subban one-timer from the point?

Either way, I'm not saying a coach should give into players demands, but they should be willing to work with players at utilizing their best attributes.

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

How anyone who knows anything about high level sports, or even about basic individual accountability in any profession, can hear that quote (word for word out of cammy's mouth), and still deny that Cammy is making excuses and looking to blame anyone but himself for his poor play is beyond me.

it's like people are so desperate to want him to succeed that they are chugging as much spiked kool-aid as possible to drown out what their eyes/ears make painfully obvious.

Quote:

hmm... you sure about that Mikey?

let's look at Cammy's 3 seasons before Montreal:

2008-2009 Calgary- 17:33 (1.01 ppg)
2007-2008 LAK- 18:34 (.75 ppg)
2006-2007 LAK- 18:02 ( .99 ppg)

and then his ice time in montreal:

2009-2010- 19:31 (.77 ppg)
2010-2011- 18:38 (.70 ppg)
2011-2012- 18:03 (.59 ppg)

so only 1 time in 6 seasons has he been anywhere close to 20min/game, and his production was average.

His best season as a pro, came when his coach kept him well under 18min/game...

maybe mikey should shut up and worry about performing instead of showing how out of touch he is with how much he has played in the past and how effective he's been compared to his ice time.

When you see a guy play for a team an have his ice time drop consistently from year 1-3, it's a pretty good indication that the coaching staff isn't very impressed with what he's bringing to the table.

Quote:
Pierre McGuire pointed out last year that Cammalleri was unhappy because he didn't get a letter on his jersey. Pierre mentioned that his body language revealed it

clearly all these hockey people must be wrong or have a vendetta against Cammalleri

unbelivable that some will still try to argue that his attitude isn't an issue.

and Laperriere shows exactly what most people miss... scorers very often tend to have bad attitudes... there is a correlation btw big ego's and the ability to be "the man".

and as long as the primadonna is at least pulling his weight and doing what he's paid to do, then teammates/coaches can at least try to turn a blind eye.

but when you behave that way and you play like crap... well it gets ugly real fast (as Sanchez, the QB for the jets, is quickly finding out)

great players navigate that balance in 1 of 2 ways...

either they simply "man up" consistently, performing so well that people can't really question their impact
or, they keep their ego in check/quiet, and lead by example even when they aren't scoring, so as to contribute towards winning regardless of how effective they are scoring

those that don't do one or the other (which Cammy is becoming a poster boy for, much like Sanchez), are not the kind of players you want to build a winner with... as Singletary famously quoted "can't win with them".

being a primadonna while putting up the same amount of goals as guys like Eller/Moen (despite playing 3min/night more on the PP), is the sign of a loser... plain and simple.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Cammalleri could've put all the blame on himself for the loss, but the media would've found a way to make it seem that because thinks that he's the only reason the team is bad, he must arrogantly think he's the only reason the team can be good.

Cammalleri IS arrogant, selfish and whatever you want, but the sensationalism and twisting of the meaning of his comments (besides his complaining about his ice-time) is repulsive. On top of that, some of our fans buy into it. This is nothing more than a well-timed propaganda from Francois Gagnon, he's doing his job perfectly.

It adds more fuel to the fire of an already boring season. The habs are not only losing, but are boring to watch, so the media has to keep the casual fan hooked. You know, the fan that doesn't know much, besides the typical "Gomez sucks" and "Trade Price for Crosby". I'd like to think that when you're on HFboards you're more than a casual fan, but some people clearly can't come up with their own opinion so they let a few morons in the media influence them and it's like a domino effect.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BubbA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Ok let's go again.

1. No actual experience as NHL head coach.
2. Plays a system not tailored to the players he has and likes to play goons on top lines
3. Comes from a loser background and has always been surrounded by losers
4. Has managed to **** up the only good thing the habs had going for them in the past few years and which was his sole responsibility as assistant coach (ie the PP). It's ok if you think the PP success relied entirely on a PP QB, but Subban, Kaberle, Weber, etc shouldn't provide dismal results like this.
5. The habs have looked worse under him than they did under Martin
6. Was promoted internally because GM is on a tight leash and Molson doesn't want to spend any more on coaches (who can blame him)

That's 6 pretty good reasons before even touching the language debate.

And, for me, personally, the coach should speak french unless he's clearly head and shoulders above other picks. If we have a shot at a great proven coach, then I'd be ok with it, but if we're going to take chances, let's take chances on guys who at least can speak french. It hasn't stopped us from having good coaches in the past (Julien, Vigneault, Burns, Demers, Lemaire, etc).

All this comes from the fact that I said Subban and players like him have been stiffled under Martin and his clone Cunneyworth which might not have been incredibly fair, but still, players like Subban and Cammy shouldn't suck offensively like that. I don't understand why we try to turn offensive players into 2 way guys. Either get players who fit the coach or better yet get a coach who can adapt to the players he has and has more than one ****ing playbook.
Wow......perfectly said. Bottom line.....this is horrible coaching. JM and RC have no idea how to unleash the players. In fact, they do the opposite...hold them back. This is very, very ugly hockey.

BubbA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
It's funny how people interpret things differently. I for one would be happy to hear Cammy was not happy to get a letter. But since when is Pierre a body language expert. Seriously...
you are absolutely right...

no player, especially not your star players, should be "happy" about not being identified as a leader.

but a guy who gets "snubbed", and then pouts about it, is not the kind of guy a good team has as a leader.

reacting negatively to a perceived slight is the opposite type of behavior you want from a good leader...

being a good leader is about consistency, about "leading without a title", about having the kind of resiliency and fortitude to maintain a beyond reproach level of attitude and work ethic, regardless of the situation.

that Cammy was outwardly expressing his dissatisfaction with the decision of the coaching staff was a perfect vindication of that coaching staff's decision not to reward him with a letter.

Old
01-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Jiggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
you are absolutely right...

no player, especially not your star players, should be "happy" about not being identified as a leader.

but a guy who gets "snubbed", and then pouts about it, is not the kind of guy a good team has as a leader.

reacting negatively to a perceived slight is the opposite type of behavior you want from a good leader...

being a good leader is about consistency, about "leading without a title", about having the kind of resiliency and fortitude to maintain a beyond reproach level of attitude and work ethic, regardless of the situation.

that Cammy was outwardly expressing his dissatisfaction with the decision of the coaching staff was a perfect vindication of that coaching staff's decision not to reward him with a letter.
Fair enough. My point was simply that we're supposed to believe that he's pouting based on Pierre's ability to read body language? Because some radio commentator seems to have inside information as to what's being said behind closed doors?

I'm just a little more skeptical when this sort of 'information' comes to light. Especailly from MTL reporters.

But I still don't see a video (not some paraphrasing where a reporter can twist a couple of sentences to fit his agenda) where Cammy says he was unhappy by not given a letter.

If someone has that, I take it all back.

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbA View Post
Wow......perfectly said. Bottom line.....this is horrible coaching. JM and RC have no idea how to unleash the players. In fact, they do the opposite...hold them back. This is very, very ugly hockey.
yeah, this may be true...

but when you are paid 6M$ to do your job, you shut up and do it the best you can.

Pleks and Gionta are undoubtably just as frustrated, and to be sure, neither are playing at an inspired level...

yet their work ethic remains unquestionable. Their intensity and effort on ice is beyond reproach.

and from what I've seen/heard, neither are acting like petulant immature peewee hockey players b/c they aren't getting what they want.

You think Gorges isn't frustrated? You think Moen is happy to be losing so much? You think Eller is thrilled about the minimal ice time he was getting?

yet those guys go out and do their jobs, and don't complain to the media about ice time, roles and coaches using video.

Cammy, on the one hand, says he's the "best he's ever been", and on the other hand makes excuses about his screw-ups based on ice time.
maybe if he was actually contributing something out there other than missed nets and scoring chances for the other team, he could voice his concerns and not come accross as a whiny baby... maybe (but even then, a true leader, like Gorges, would be playing his best hockey and still refrain from publicly throwing his coaches under the bus).

but when you're putting up career worst production, and you are paid like a superstar, you don't get the right to point fingers.

shut up and play.

Old
01-12-2012, 08:46 AM
gillyguzzler

The biggest test here is for Pierre Gauthier.

Because this is Montreal and the French media has gone and will continue to go nuts with this, Mr. Gauthier has two choices :

1 - in a press conference, he defends Mike Cammalleri and corrects the "liberties" that Francois Gagnon took. He says something to the effect that they had a good heart to heart talk (maybe a little walk together) and that MC is committed to the Habs and will do whatever it takes to play better and help the team win.

2 - he trades MC quickly.

Side note : although Mike Blunden is nowhere as talented a shooter as MC is, I wonder, given 18 minutes a game, given a centerman other that Nokeleinen, given ample PP time and given a long leash, how many goals would Blunden have? Close to 9? And that would be with a strong physical presence and exemplary work ethic.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
Fair enough. My point was simply that we're supposed to believe that he's pouting based on Pierre's ability to read body language? Because some radio commentator seems to have inside information as to what's being said behind closed doors?

I'm just a little more skeptical when this sort of 'information' comes to light. Especailly from MTL reporters.

But I still don't see a video (not some paraphrasing where a reporter can twist a couple of sentences to fit his agenda) where Cammy says he was unhappy by not given a letter.

If someone has that, I take it all back.
where there is smoke, there is usually fire... and in this case, Cammy's recent comments simply support the notion that he's an emotional guy who is quick to externally show his frustration, and blame others for his struggles.

Body language is a very real indicator (anyone married should be able to vouch for that)... the more experience one has with elite athlete/elite sports, the more obvious it becomes what is going on inside an athletes head based on how they carry themselves. very well documented in most sports psychology literature.

Old
01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice
Gagnon is always reporting in bad faith, he doesn't like the Habs and he always present the news about the habs negatively, no matter if the news was positive. When they lose, you can feel his happiness in his articles, when they win he always focus on the negatives. He takes himself seriously enough to ask for players heads. He wanted Kovalev out and now he wants Cammalleri out. I know he loves to stir crap around the habs.

It is not about the truth of what he's reporting, it is about the way he's reporting it. He's always ready to dance on the Habs grave.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I'd rather have a guy that's pissed because things are not going well than one who sits in his corner and doesn't care.

You can disect the message 30 different ways, but when people are pissed and lash out it doesn't always come out scripted.

One thing I'd like is for Gauthier to meet with him and make sure they are on the same page(has the teams' interest at heart and wants to be here) and then for PG to pull a Gainey and go on a rant on the media crapping on Cammy.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Tuna99

Cammaleri is a disgrace and a wimp - he won't take a hit on the ice and he acts like a chicken shyte off the ice by saying this to the media - ultimate loser and horrible teammate.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Cammaleri is a disgrace and a wimp - he won't take a hit on the ice and he acts like a chicken shyte off the ice by saying this to the media - ultimate loser and horrible teammate.
...and you're a tough guy behind a keyboard.

This post=EPIC FAIL!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:31 AM
PricePkPatch

I would take Cammy's rant more seriously and at heart if I hadn't seen him miss 3-meter shots by more than 3 feet a lot this year.

He often managed to get the puck right where he likes to shoot. His best location, and he more often than not miss the net entirely, sometime missing it by so much it went on the protection net!!

So, no Cammy. If you had really been working and playing your value's worth, we would not be in this situation. You failed to bank more goal chance than any other team members.

If it had been a player really working his ass off, like Cole, who said the exact same words as Cammy, I'd respect it and take it seriously. But the whiner this time happens to be one of the team's current loser.

Trade him away, sink Gomez, call up prospect for healthy icetime minutes and just stomach a disastrous end season.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Lafleurs Guy

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:35 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Protest the Hero

14 pages on this crap.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote