HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues 2012 amateur draft -- Jordan Schmaltz 1st Round Pick

Old
06-24-2012, 01:50 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
None of us should judge Jordan Schmaltz yet. Would we rather have gotten someone TSN and the "experts" rated highly, but would only be a 3rd liner or draft someone that our scouts really like and has a lot of potential?

Remember Marek Schwarz and how he fell to us? Remember how Oshie was a huge stretch?

After the top 15 or so, you really shouldn't pay much attention to the rankings. Hell, does anyone remember Angelo Esposito and how he was suppose to be the next big thing after Crosby.
I watched poor Esposito's career take a drastic turn for the worse during a Wolves-Rivermen game. I forgot which Rivermen player took him out, but Esposito hasn't been the same since that terrible knee injury. He's had two bad knee injuries. That will bust anyone's career.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:58 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I watched poor Esposito's career take a drastic turn for the worse during a Wolves-Rivermen game. I forgot which Rivermen player took him out, but Esposito hasn't been the same since that terrible knee injury. He's had two bad knee injuries. That will bust anyone's career.
His career was busted before that when the enormous expectations were put on him in juniors. He was never the same after Radulov left his junior team.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:49 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
His career was busted before that when the enormous expectations were put on him in juniors. He was never the same after Radulov left his junior team.
Can you really bust a career in juniors? No.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:32 PM
stlweir

The Blues draft - I don't know how well the Blues drafted this weekend but what I do know is there have been many years when the Blues did not have a first round pick and there was even a seaon when the Blues had no picks at all. Things are "Looking Good".

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:22 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
There used to be "development camps" a couple summers ago, but there wasn't one last summer. If it hasn't been announced or planned, then it is probably because of the ownership change. Things can happen very quickly when their is the will to do it and the resources to make it happen.

I can imagine that, in the recent past, it was viewed by some within the organization as an unnecessary expense.
Between the lines, I thought the cancellation last season was a cost-cutting measure.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Between the lines, I thought the cancellation last season was a cost-cutting measure.

That was my interpretation as well.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
I prefered Finn or Thrower at 25th(don't blame the Blues for passing on Gaunce and Samuelsson despite needing some help at center), but I'm not upset with Schmaltz. Was Schmaltz a Mike Antonovich pick? If so, that makes him interesting to me given how well he's done with forwards. Hopefully it translates to dmen as well. Could be some "it" factor here that isn't evident yet.

Like the Kurker pick particularly because of the great program he's heading to(not to mention the outstanding training facilities at BU!). Jack Parker is a coach you can feel very good about Samuel playing for.

Love, love, love the Walters and Lindbohm picks. I actually trust the Blues European scouts more than the NA guys as far as defensemen, but Walters makes me feel better about the team passing on Finn and Thrower.

Nobody jumped out at me that I just had to have this year, and unfortunately the 1st round didn't play out in the Blues favor with a great player just falling in their lap. It happens.
I would have to think so. Antonovich is the main Blues scout for the USHL and MN HS.

After looking at the picks, I'm fine with them. I didn't expect the Schmaltz pick but I'm actually pretty familiar with him. High offensive IQ and is a very good PP QB. The question is, can he round out his defensive game? He could be like Shatty if he turns out well or could be similar to Woywitka if he doesn't. Given the team's depth on the team and in the pipeline, I like the high risk/reward pick.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:28 PM
execwrite

The ISS scouting report on Lindbohm reads as follows: "A big physical defender who has some good upside around the puck, Lindbohm is still very raw at this point. His skating is still very average but has room for technical development, especially in terms of quickness and overall speed.

He is poised around the puck and seems to thrive in physical situations. He can protect the puck well, has a strong shot, is very hard to knock off balance and generally gets the puck up ice successfully but does have a tendency to run himself out of room on rushes at times.

Defensively, he is very aggressive, loves to play the body and is not afraid to push and shove around the net or after the whistle."

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I would have to think so. Antonovich is the main Blues scout for the USHL and MN HS.

After looking at the picks, I'm fine with them. I didn't expect the Schmaltz pick but I'm actually pretty familiar with him. High offensive IQ and is a very good PP QB. The question is, can he round out his defensive game? He could be like Shatty if he turns out well or could be similar to Woywitka if he doesn't. Given the team's depth on the team and in the pipeline, I like the high risk/reward pick.
I think the custom is to have the drafted player up on stage with the head scout (i.e. Bill Armstrong) and the scout who specifically scouted him (i.e. Antonovich). Antonovich is up there next to Schmaltz on the stage.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I really like Seaman. Shocked he fell into the 7th round. Concussions are a bit worrysome so we will see how he does next year. Not sold on the MacKenzie pick, unless he heads off to the CHL. I get a little worried when a guy needs to play in the USHL prior to college - especially when he is going to MSU.
Why would that "worry" you, when almost every player who goes to college in this country plays a year or even two in the USHL first?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:43 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I think the custom is to have the drafted player up on stage with the head scout (i.e. Bill Armstrong) and the scout who specifically scouted him (i.e. Antonovich). Antonovich is up there next to Schmaltz on the stage.
Yeah, I saw that too but forgot to mention it. Good catch! That's pretty much a dead giveaway that Schmaltz was an Antonovich pick. Obviously B. Arrmatrong had to like him quite a bit too (I'm assuming they're using the same setup as it was under Jarmo to where the main scouts have multiple views of each player and the scouting director, Bill Armstrong, goes around to each region and gets a few views of each player the regional scouts really like). I guess we'll see in time if the kid develops into what they hope he does. He's going to a very good program at UND so that should be good for him.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon in canada View Post
...clearly, (and I challenge anyone to dispute me on this !), Schmaltz was not the BPA!
I'll dispute you all day long, and so will a few other posters here who have developed some insight about how the Blues, in particular, scout players.

Unless you were sitting at that table with the Armstrongs, Antonovich, Macinnis and JD, you didn't have Clue ****ing One prior to the pick as to who the Blues considered to the the Best Player Available... and you, like everyone else, now know who that was.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:17 PM
STL fan in IA

Regarding the MacEachern pick, I'm absolutely fine with him spending a year in the USHL before going to Mich St. Nobody can predict the future but I'd hate for him to basically ruin his future like Max Gardiner did by rushing himself when he went directly from Minn HS hockey to U of Minn (him ruining his future by rushing himself thus stunting his development is my opinion of course). A lot of the elite players can go directly from HS hockey to college hockey but that's a BIG step, especially for a true freshman. For a guy like MacEachern who's big, skilled but raw, I'm sure a year in the USHL will be great for him to take that next step and should serve as a nice bridge to college hockey the following season.

Blake Wheeler spent a year in the USHL a year after his draft and came out just fine. Justin Schultz spent a year in the BCHL (Canadian Jr. A) a year after being drafted and is now going to be one of the hottest free agents coming out of college. Of course, my 2 examples might get folks to suspect that MacEachern might sign with someone else 4 years from now (which is his right to do) but that rarely happens. Regardless of where MacEachern would've played next year, he's a longshot to make the NHL but I think he greatly helped his chances by going to the USHL next season.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:20 PM
WaltWhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Like the Kurker pick particularly because of the great program he's heading to(not to mention the outstanding training facilities at BU!).
Schmaltz will have an OK training facility at his disposal at UND, as well.

REA Hockey Skills Center

REA Weight Room

WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Robb_K

UND has excellent facilities, and a great coaching/teaching system, that cranks out solid pro-ready players on a consistent basis. We can see that with the development of T.J. Oshie and Chris Porter, both of whom were pretty raw going in, and who progressed significantly, in rounding out their games in all areas.

I think that one of the main factors in drafting Schmaltz and MacEchearn, were their commitments to play with solid player development schools like UND and BU. They know that a good portion of the risk inherent in their long development over the next 3-5 years will be removed by their participation in known quality programmes.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:51 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
I don't know who that kid is, but he is a stick. He needs to start doubling up on his protein.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:12 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
The Blues draft - I don't know how well the Blues drafted this weekend but what I do know is there have been many years when the Blues did not have a first round pick and there was even a seaon when the Blues had no picks at all. Things are "Looking Good".
I could'nt agree more & I remember when this franchise did'nt participate in the 1983 Draft, I just graduated from High School and it looked like the 'note were headed to Saskatoon.

And I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the Blues Scouting Department as well, for the selection of Schmaltz, in what has been deemed a deep draft for defenseman. They went off the charts to select Oshie in 2005 24th overall. I'm happy the top 2 Goalies we taken before the Blues picked also.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:14 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
That was my interpretation as well.

Of course it was.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:50 PM
execwrite

Players who weren't drafted.

G Michael Houser – London Knights – Unranked

Ryan Pyette of The London Free Press summed up the plight of Houser perfectly:

“Twenty-four goaltenders were selected in the 2012 NHL draft. None of them were Michael Houser, the Canadian Hockey League’s top goalie and the OHL’s most outstanding player who was shut out for the third straight year, this time in his hometown, to boot.”

Since he’s now completed his required time in the OHL, Houser can sign a free agent contract with interested teams and begin his pro career.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Players who weren't drafted.

G Michael Houser – London Knights – Unranked

Ryan Pyette of The London Free Press summed up the plight of Houser perfectly:

“Twenty-four goaltenders were selected in the 2012 NHL draft. None of them were Michael Houser, the Canadian Hockey League’s top goalie and the OHL’s most outstanding player who was shut out for the third straight year, this time in his hometown, to boot.”

Since he’s now completed his required time in the OHL, Houser can sign a free agent contract with interested teams and begin his pro career.
Would we have space to add someone else? I know we were right around the contract limit last season, not sure how much space has been created this summer though.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Would we have space to add someone else? I know we were right around the contract limit last season, not sure how much space has been created this summer though.
He's finished with his junior 4 years. I suppose he could play again there as an over-ager. But, likely SOME NHL team who needs to fill out their system, will sign him. Maybe The Blues would have enough contract room to have Alaska sign him and play him as their backup? Who are their 2 goalies now? Certainly, there's no room for him at Peoria, with Allen and Karpowich. I've forgotten now whether or not Tremblay is slated to return to Juniors, or play at Alaska (or need to be loaned to an outside-the-system team).

They could invite him to join their Traverse City team as a non-contract invitee, to get a first-hand extra look at him. But, there would probably have to be an open slot at Alaska, for any chance to sign him. Most years they've been pretty close to the 50 contracts mark. That may also be a factor.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:41 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

So apparently the Islanders offered the Blue Jackets all of their draft picks this year to move from 4 to 2. And the Jackets declined. In the Puck Daddy piece on this, apparently Milbury says when he was Isles GM he offered his entire draft once to the Blues and the Blues said no. But Milbury was hired iin Dec 1995 and replaced by Neil Smith on June 8, 2006 before the only draft where the Blues had a first round pick above #14. Milbury was Isles GM for drafts from 1996-2005.

I can't imagine what the hell he's talking about. Any draft prior to 2006 (when Milbury was no longer GM weeks before the draft) the Blues would have been nuts not to take any such offer (#14 in 1996, #17 in 2004 and in 1999, #24 in 1998 and in 2005, and 30ths or later otherwise).

But in 2006, assuming the offer was made prior to Milbury's dismissal, the picks would have been #7, #60, #70, #71, #88, #100, #160, #190 for the #1 overall. The Isles had traded their 2d round pick the prior August and had acquired #60 from Dallas, #71 from Phoenix, and #88 from New Jersey at the trade deadline. That's actually a sensible turn down from the Blues (Isles wound up taking Okposo).

However, both the Isles offer this year and the Jackets' turn down were quite idiotic.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:10 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
So apparently the Islanders offered the Blue Jackets all of their draft picks this year to move from 4 to 2. And the Jackets declined. In the Puck Daddy piece on this, apparently Milbury says when he was Isles GM he offered his entire draft once to the Blues and the Blues said no. But Milbury was hired iin Dec 1995 and replaced by Neil Smith on June 8, 2006 before the only draft where the Blues had a first round pick above #14. Milbury was Isles GM for drafts from 1996-2005.

I can't imagine what the hell he's talking about. Any draft prior to 2006 (when Milbury was no longer GM weeks before the draft) the Blues would have been nuts not to take any such offer (#14 in 1996, #17 in 2004 and in 1999, #24 in 1998 and in 2005, and 30ths or later otherwise).

But in 2006, assuming the offer was made prior to Milbury's dismissal, the picks would have been #7, #60, #70, #71, #88, #100, #160, #190 for the #1 overall. The Isles had traded their 2d round pick the prior August and had acquired #60 from Dallas, #71 from Phoenix, and #88 from New Jersey at the trade deadline. That's actually a sensible turn down from the Blues (Isles wound up taking Okposo).

However, both the Isles offer this year and the Jackets' turn down were quite idiotic.
Agreed. I think Murray is going to be a solid NHLer, but I'd be quite surprised if he's anything more than a number 2/3 Dman for the majority of his career. Certainly valuable, but I don't think it warrants Eric Lindros type commotion. Only thing I can think of is that they were very high on Alex Galchenyuk's potential and were willing to throw away the rest of the draft for a chance to select him.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:22 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Agreed. I think Murray is going to be a solid NHLer, but I'd be quite surprised if he's anything more than a number 2/3 Dman for the majority of his career. Certainly valuable, but I don't think it warrants Eric Lindros type commotion. Only thing I can think of is that they were very high on Alex Galchenyuk's potential and were willing to throw away the rest of the draft for a chance to select him.
I would expect that they could still have responded to the deal after the 1st pick was made.

Columbus is a team that could really have used a stocked cupboard. To me, this is an indictment on their scouting. If the Blues had that many picks, I have confidence that they could find a few gems....and make it a worthwhile trade. I think Columbus' front office knew they couldn't benefit from such a deal.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:01 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
I actually think this was a smart move by the Blue Jackets. Beyond the #4 and #34 picks, everything is a crapshoot to a degree, and they had scouts they didn't particularly like considering they sacked a number of them after the draft. Better for them to just take the defenseman that was basically the automatic pick at #2 than move back and have to pick from 4 or 5 players and let your scouts mess it up again.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote