HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues 2012 amateur draft -- Jordan Schmaltz 1st Round Pick

Old
06-26-2012, 07:11 AM
sdaltons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I actually think this was a smart move by the Blue Jackets. Beyond the #4 and #34 picks, everything is a crapshoot to a degree, and they had scouts they didn't particularly like considering they sacked a number of them after the draft. Better for them to just take the defenseman that was basically the automatic pick at #2 than move back and have to pick from 4 or 5 players and let your scouts mess it up again.
i'm in the other camp. they should have made the deal.

Reinhart is a pretty darn good prospect as well. his ceiling probably isn't really that far off from Murray's. and then having like 14 (i didn't actually count) other picks in the draft? even the worst scouting staff probably would have found one or two decent players somewhere in that group. in fact since they didn't like some of their scouting staff, you might say it would have been better to give them more chances to find a good player.

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
i'm in the other camp. they should have made the deal.

Reinhart is a pretty darn good prospect as well. his ceiling probably isn't really that far off from Murray's. and then having like 14 (i didn't actually count) other picks in the draft? even the worst scouting staff probably would have found one or two decent players somewhere in that group. in fact since they didn't like some of their scouting staff, you might say it would have been better to give them more chances to find a good player.
I wouldn't take it as a given they would have taken Reinhart. Let's remember that this is a team whose last 7 picks in the 3-10 range have been Johansen, Filatov, Voráček, Brassard, Brulé, Picard and Zherdev in the past 10 years. Johansen looks like he could be good and Voráček is starting to come along in Philly... other than that...

IMO, they would have been mental to trade down to anything even remotely more risky when that is their drafting pedigree.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:25 AM
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I wouldn't take it as a given they would have taken Reinhart. Let's remember that this is a team whose last 7 picks in the 3-10 range have been Johansen, Filatov, Voráček, Brassard, Brulé, Picard and Zherdev in the past 10 years. Johansen looks like he could be good and Voráček is starting to come along in Philly... other than that...

IMO, they would have been mental to trade down to anything even remotely more risky when that is their drafting pedigree.
excellent point

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:51 AM
The Zombonis

vCash: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
excellent point
I assume if the Blue Jackets had made that trade, that they would have packaged some picks and moved up a few times during the draft. Probably leaving them with about 10 picks. makes for interesting debate.

The Zombonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zombonis View Post
I assume if the Blue Jackets had made that trade, that they would have packaged some picks and moved up a few times during the draft. Probably leaving them with about 10 picks. makes for interesting debate.
Very true, but if you were the Blues (drafting Pie) would you have traded back to get Meyers. How much better is Pie then Meyers? I think there is a solid difference (While Meyers is top pairing, Pie is Norris candidate.). No amount of draft choices in my mind would make up that difference.

Columbus doesn't need depth - they have plenty in Moore, Savard.. But outside of JJ, they don't have top pairing in the system. They need high end talent.

NO GM put GR in the same tier as Murray. Only fans that are doing that now are the Islander fans and those that want to laugh at the CBJ. Most NHL insiders agree with the CBJ in not taking the trade and that NYI were not far off in making the offer.

Another way of looking at it would be from our perspective, if you were the Blues (drafting 3) with our current lineup. Would you trade back or get the top player?

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:49 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Regarding the "whole draft" trade, consider what established players you could get for that high first and high second rounder. It's not just about how either team in question would draft, it's about those draft picks as more fluid assets.

If you simply can't find a team who will give you a good deal and/or you're banking on the entry level contract providing more value per dollar and so forth, I can understand. But situational obstacles notwithstanding, if you don't like where you're picking, those draft picks still have value that could probably land you a very good, proven player. You would have to be very confident about the prospect in question in order to manage your assets that way. We could see Murray turn out that good, but that level of confidence is suspicious.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:52 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Very true, but if you were the Blues (drafting Pie) would you have traded back to get Meyers. How much better is Pie then Meyers? I think there is a solid difference (While Meyers is top pairing, Pie is Norris candidate.). No amount of draft choices in my mind would make up that difference.

Columbus doesn't need depth - they have plenty in Moore, Savard.. But outside of JJ, they don't have top pairing in the system. They need high end talent.

NO GM put GR in the same tier as Murray. Only fans that are doing that now are the Islander fans and those that want to laugh at the CBJ. Most NHL insiders agree with the CBJ in not taking the trade and that NYI were not far off in making the offer.

Another way of looking at it would be from our perspective, if you were the Blues (drafting 3) with our current lineup. Would you trade back or get the top player?
You could look at it as it could have been LA trading from 2 to 4 and getting Pietrangelo instead of Doughty. How much better is Doughty then Pie? I think this draft is actually fairly comparable to that draft in a lot of teams having a chance at a quality defenseman.

You could even say Murray compares to Doughty as they are the most NHL ready defenseman at the draft with other defenseman actually being more raw with a higher ceiling like Pie was.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:14 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Blues drafted size again under Armstrong. Seems to be a big deal to him.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:32 AM
h22prelude93

Well it appears Schmaltz has no problem playing on his off-side....

Gotta say the more I read about Schmaltz the more and more I'm starting to really like this pick. His hockey sense seems to be very high, and I really like the patience he shows with the puck. Will definitely be interesting to see how he progresses in the next few years at UND.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post

That's why I am sensing a Schwartz for a big LHD trade soon. Unless of coarse they can sign Suter.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:20 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
That's why I am sensing a Schwartz for a big LHD trade soon. Unless of course they can sign Suter.
Not.

Not.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzraCurrier View Post
I play summer pick up with him and some of the other AJHL guys and hes got some unreal talent, great skater and an unbelievable set of hands. Definitely a good pick up for guys
Going to chime in. To add in he's got a great work ethic. Actually backchecks even in drop in shinny, he's also grown alot over the past year.

I also play(ed - injury) in that summer pick up.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Bluesnatic27

I hope its not just me, but man, I would love another 2013 first round pick, just because of the good talent that's going to be available next year

Bluesnatic27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:44 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post

Yes Armstrong loves Size... and didn't take any Euro Players with high picks either

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:47 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Andrew Ryan from the Mooseheads of the Q would be a good pick. Was around the second round at the beginning of the year. Could develop into something good.
Pretty sure I saw a tweet 2-3 weeks ago saying he'd been invited to Blues training camp.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:52 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
I hope its not just me, but man, I would love another 2013 first round pick, just because of the good talent that's going to be available next year
Drafts always look better a year before them.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:03 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
You could look at it as it could have been LA trading from 2 to 4 and getting Pietrangelo instead of Doughty. How much better is Doughty then Pie? I think this draft is actually fairly comparable to that draft in a lot of teams having a chance at a quality defenseman.

You could even say Murray compares to Doughty as they are the most NHL ready defenseman at the draft with other defenseman actually being more raw with a higher ceiling like Pie was.
I disagree. Reinhardt isn't projected to be a number 1 where Murray is. Keep in mind that pie missed a chunk of his draft year with mono.

Quite frankly it was Murray and then everyone else. Reinhardt was projected to be the 4th dman taken. Likely expected to be drafted in the 7-10 range.

While you can compare Murray to dd you can't really compare rein to pie.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Why would that "worry" you, when almost every player who goes to college in this country plays a year or even two in the USHL first?

I worry the same when we drafted Maxwell. Most were excited about him but I felt not being able to makejump to college shows that his development is behind. I would be happier if he went to the chl. But as of the draft he didn't have any offers.

Bottom line, if he needs more seasoning to play college, I would rather see him in the chl.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:40 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
I worry the same when we drafted Maxwell. Most were excited about him but I felt not being able to makejump to college shows that his development is behind. I would be happier if he went to the chl. But as of the draft he didn't have any offers.

Bottom line, if he needs more seasoning to play college, I would rather see him in the chl.
Then he wouldn't be able to play college.

The kid wants to go the college route (and as a late bloomer that makes sense) but he's still very raw so a year in the USHL to round out his game and his body should do him well. The Blues will have 4 yrs to evaluate him whereas if he went to the CHL, they'd likely only have 2 yrs to make a decision on him.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
I disagree. Reinhardt isn't projected to be a number 1 where Murray is. Keep in mind that pie missed a chunk of his draft year with mono.

Quite frankly it was Murray and then everyone else. Reinhardt was projected to be the 4th dman taken. Likely expected to be drafted in the 7-10 range.

While you can compare Murray to dd you can't really compare rein to pie.
Murray was never projected to be a number one defensemen, he was drafted so high because he was the safest pick to reach the NHL in the shortest amount of time, kind of like how Doughty/Bagosian were drafted second and third overall, but unlike Doughty, Murray looks more like a number 2/3 defensemen. Reinhart, as said before, is a much more offensively gifted defensemen that still may have needed a little seasoning before making the jump to the pro-league, much like Pietrangelo's situation, again, his situation, I don't think anyone is comparing Reinhart to Lidstrom v2.

Bluesnatic27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 04:42 PM
stlweir

This Blues mgt and ownership has learned that you build primarily through the draft. Of course you need to draft successfully - the Blues yes, Columbus no. I went to my first Blues game in 1968 or 69 and have seen the changes in ownership, different mgt philosophies and the lack of financial stability. This Blues team has the most talent since the Federko days but back then finances forced the trades of Mullen, Luit and throughout the Blues history #1 picks have been dealt in an effort to make the playoffs for the additional revenue. There has been bad Karma too with Gassoff, Phil Roberto, Doug Gilmore and Wayne Babych.

Some may be dissapointed that no free agents were signed but look at this young team. Look what last years team did and the Blues enter this season with the Tank and Schwartz. Stability is underestimated by fans, owners and GMs. This will be one heck of a season if healthy. Watching recently posted highlights has me pumped all the more. I think Cole will be fine and Tarasenko will be among the top 4 in scoring for the Blues. If I'm not mistaken the Blues get no revenue from concessions and parking. That is a huge amount of revenue they should be getting but aren't. This ownership group wants to win but they have both hands tied behind their backs. They have done a great job signing their core players. Let's hope more than a couple of this years draft picks become productive NHLers because that is what it takes to keep this train rolling. Let's go Blues!

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote