HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues 2012 amateur draft -- Jordan Schmaltz 1st Round Pick

Old
04-29-2012, 04:23 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
For anyone who's interested...here's a pretty neat entry draft guide from the main prospect boards

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1179903

Good stuff - thanks.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

I'd like to see Martin Frk go to the Blues. Just because he plays for the closest team to where I live and one of the few decent/good players I actually get to watch regularly.

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:31 AM
ChicagoBlues

OT: Just read a little on the Koekoek family's history. Epic sadness.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:04 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

If things hold, it'll be the 25th pick. If Caps come back to eliminate the Rangers then the 24th.

The Sharks get a compensatory at 55, so if the Rangers win another round it's the 56th pick but if the Rangers get knocked out this round it's the 54th pick.

But also if the Devils get past the Flyers, they would likely opt to take their first round penalty this year, thus bumping up the Blues 2d round pick to 53d or 55th (depending on the Rangers).

Top 100 Picks:
If the Rangers and Devils advance: 25, 55, 66, 85.
If the Rangers and Flyers advance: 25, 56, 67, 86.
If the Caps and Devils advance: 24, 53, 66, 84.
If the Caps and Flyers advance: 24, 54, 67, 85.

Yes I know the Blues aren't technically out yet. If things hold.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:03 PM
simon in canada

http://thehockeywriters.com/jaynen-r...h-big-upside/I want this guy! Ok he's going to need a power skating course or two, but we can work on that.

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:03 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon in canada View Post
http://thehockeywriters.com/jaynen-r...h-big-upside/I want this guy! Ok he's going to need a power skating course or two, but we can work on that.
Something is not right with that link lol

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:04 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Something is not right with that link lol
Did it redirect you to a 2009 article as well?

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:10 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Did it redirect you to a 2009 article as well?
Yes it did.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:33 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

I think this is the one he wanted.

Correct Link

Old
05-04-2012, 02:17 AM
h22prelude93

So does anyone think we could see Armstrong try to trade up in the 1st round? If so, who would be good trading partners, and which prospects would be targeted?

Also, I've heard a lot of contradicting reports...but who in this years draft do you guys consider NHL ready talent?

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:42 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

They need to shoot for the stars really. We have the assets to obtain a really high pick without dismantling the team. Why not go for it if it's available? It's not priority, but it is important to better the team and prospect pool.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:30 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
They need to shoot for the stars really. We have the assets to obtain a really high pick without dismantling the team. Why not go for it if it's available? It's not priority, but it is important to better the team and prospect pool.
If they have assets to burn, I think they should use them to augment the product already on the ice. Dumping them into a draft pick is a gamble that likely won't pay off in a truly significant way for years, if ever.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:33 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
If they have assets to burn, I think they should use them to augment the product already on the ice. Dumping them into a draft pick is a gamble that likely won't pay off in a truly significant way for years, if ever.
Which is why I mentioned priority. We all know the defense needs help and will/should be the easiest to address. Scoring is second. If we can get into the top 5 as well, I'd do it. There's some serious talent to be had in this draft.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:36 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
The only way I do see them going for it is if they think they can truly obtain a player of immediate help. The question is who are those players and do we have the necessary assets to trade for such a pick? Otherwise, we obviously just stay put or use our pick in a package player deal.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:52 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
If we could obtain someone like Morgan Rielly...I think it would pay off real quick. That said, Rielly probably isn't very realistic. But you never know which picks might be available if we showcase the right assets. It's been predicted that this draft will be one of the busiest trade drafts in a long time. I just hope Army can work his magic, and get in on some of the action.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:06 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

I suppose time will tell, but my gut says that if the Blues are moving major pieces this summer it will be for a roster upgrade.

Of course, if they can't find a dance partner for that type of deal and they're hell-bent on moving said assets, then I think they would probably explore any option they can. Anything is possible at this point.

I would be very surprised, though, if they attempt to augment their defense for next year through this year's draft.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:23 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
I suppose time will tell, but my gut says that if the Blues are moving major pieces this summer it will be for a roster upgrade.

Of course, if they can't find a dance partner for that type of deal and they're hell-bent on moving said assets, then I think they would probably explore any option they can. Anything is possible at this point.

I would be very surprised, though, if they attempt to augment their defense for next year through this year's draft.
Good points, what do you think about possibly trading up to try to acquire someone like Radek Faksa? From what I've heard, there's a good chance he falls somewhere around the #10 spot.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
So does anyone think we could see Armstrong try to trade up in the 1st round? If so, who would be good trading partners, and which prospects would be targeted?

Also, I've heard a lot of contradicting reports...but who in this years draft do you guys consider NHL ready talent?
Sure. Army could try to trade up...or down, or just stick where the Blues' pick is. Who knows. I doubt Army or any of the scouts even have a clue on that yet.

Trading partners? Again, nobody's going to know at this stage of the game. Same with who the Blues might want to target.

There are likely a handful of prospects who will be in the NHL but the Blues aren't likely to get any of them. You talk of trading up to approx. 10th overall to select Faksa in another post but the Blues will likely end up with something like the 25th overall pick. Going from 25ish to 10 almost never happens. It would likely take multiple trades. I could see them possibly moving up to around 20th if there's a kid they're high on still available then but moving up to 10th isn't very realistic.

The bottom line is that I think the Blues will draft like they normally do and that it's highly that anyone the Blues draft this summer plays in the NHL anytime soon. The changes the Blues need for next season will have to come from free agency, trades and adding rookies like Tarasenko and Schwartz.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:41 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Sure. Army could try to trade up...or down, or just stick where the Blues' pick is. Who knows. I doubt Army or any of the scouts even have a clue on that yet.

Trading partners? Again, nobody's going to know at this stage of the game. Same with who the Blues might want to target.

There are likely a handful of prospects who will be in the NHL but the Blues aren't likely to get any of them. You talk of trading up to approx. 10th overall to select Faksa in another post but the Blues will likely end up with something like the 25th overall pick. Going from 25ish to 10 almost never happens. It would likely take multiple trades. I could see them possibly moving up to around 20th if there's a kid they're high on still available then but moving up to 10th isn't very realistic.

The bottom line is that I think the Blues will draft like they normally do and that it's highly that anyone the Blues draft this summer plays in the NHL anytime soon. The changes the Blues need for next season will have to come from free agency, trades and adding rookies like Tarasenko and Schwartz.
Good post, and I pretty much agree. I was just trying to think of possible scenarios where we would trade up to acquire an impact player in the draft but like you said it seems rather unlikely. Also, I'm not very optimistic about the free agent market. I think guys like Suter, Garrison, Etc are going to be severely overpaid. JMHO

Old
05-04-2012, 05:36 PM
simon in canada

Quote:
I think this is the one he wanted.

Correct Link
Oooops, sorry guys. Thank you EastonBlues!

Old
05-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Just from the stand-point of getting a potential future LHD (even if it may be 2-4 years down the road), I wouldn't be upset hearing the Blues call one of these guys names on draft day:

Hampus Lindholm, Brady Skeji, Esa Lindell, Mikko Vainonen, Zakhar Arzamastsev, Ludvig Bystrom

The d-prospects currently in the system are a little underwhelming compared to what we've seen in the past 5-6 years. Ponich, Edmundson, Fairchild, Hakanpaa, Cundari, Shields & Beukeboom may produce exactly ZERO full-time NHL'ers...it's time to replenish the system. I'd be fine with 7 d-men drafted this year, and hope for a home-run.

(though bpa is always the way to go...even if that means 7 forwards are taken)

Last edited by Stealth JD: 05-14-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Memento
Missourian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
OT: Just read a little on the Koekoek family's history. Epic sadness.
Huh. I can't find anything about Koekkoek's history. He's a prospect that I really want the Blues to get, so I'm curious: what is his family history?

Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:01 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Just from the stand-point of getting a potential future LHD (even if it may be 2-4 years down the road), I wouldn't be upset hearing the Blues call one of these guys names on draft day:

Hampus Lindholm, Brady Skeji, Esa Lindell, Mikko Vainonen, Zakhar Arzamastsev, Ludvig Bystrom

The d-prospects currently in the system are a little underwhelming compared to what we've seen in the past 5-6 years. Ponich, Edmundson, Fairchild, Hakanpaa, Cundari, Shields & Beukeboom may produce exactly ZERO full-time NHL'ers...it's time to replenish the system. I'd be fine with 7 d-men drafted this year, and hope for a home-run.

(though bpa is always the way to go...even if that means 7 forwards are taken)
Matheson has better upside than Skjei and is much less boom or bust. MM was really highly touted coming into the USHL this year but struggled at the beginning of the year and that is when most scouts start forming their opinions about where his draft status would be espcially a kid coming out of midget in Quebec. If you have a slow start and the Central Scouting guys only see you a handful of times the rest of the season your ranking is going to suffer.

Matheson would be a steal at #25.

I've talked about this kid a lot and have seen him in person 10 times. He's going to be a great player and hopefully stays the collegiate route and heads to BC.

Here's a good article on him:

http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.com...ry.php?sid=454

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
sdaltons

i'm sure it has been mentioned, but if either are out there, it would be kinda fun to draft either lukas sutter or tim bozon

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:11 PM
simon in canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
i'm sure it has been mentioned, but if either are out there, it would be kinda fun to draft either lukas sutter or tim bozon
I like Sutter too. He's big already at 6'1" 203 lbs. a defensive player who relishes the physical part of the game. He's projected to go in the 2nd round. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=41755. Do we have 2 2nd rounders this draft?