HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues 2012 amateur draft -- Jordan Schmaltz 1st Round Pick

Old
05-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Girgensons is a center, power-forward type, highly thought of by scouts and fans alike. He is a playmaker with a scorer's touch and nose for the net (49 GP, 24-31-55, plus-17, 69 PM, 5 PPG, 6 GWG for Dubuque of the USHL this year). He has committed to Vermont (ECAC), so the Blues can stash him there for as many as four years without having to pay him, and allow him to further develop on someone else's time and on someone else's dime.

Hertl, as was mentioned earlier, should be familiar to the Blues because he plays on the same team -- and occasionally, on the same line -- as 2011 draftee Dmitrij Jaskin. Hertl had a mild breakout season in the Czech Republic this year (12-13-25, plus-9, 22 PM, 3 PPG, 1 SHG in 38 games), putting up solid numbers as a 17-year-old playing second-line minutes in one of the top senior elite leagues in Europe.

Matteau is another "legacy" player for the Blues, like Philip McRae and BJ Crombeen. Kamloops forward Tim Bozon is another, and another player I'm keeping my eye on for the Blues. Matteau has the size and power forward game his father had, with a little more scoring touch and a lot more aggressiveness (15-17-32, 166 PM in 46 games with the USNTDP). I'm thinking, long-term, a new home-grown "French Connection" line for the Blues in about three years, with Matteau between Perron and 2011 draftee Yannick Veilleux.

I like what I have read about Girgensons and Hertl and Gaunce. But if they are gone, I like what I have read about Jordan Schmaltz. Very solid Dman - big and his frame can fill out. Great hockey smarts -- good skater.

I also like Mike Winther.

2nd Rounders - Samuelsson and Lundberg - Nieves and Vail.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:17 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
I know he's not a centre, but if Pontus berg is still available when we pick I think you have to consider taking him. The kid is just super strong on the puck, crazy fast(maybe the fastest player in the draft), can play right or left side, and has an absolute wicked shot. He's also said to be very responsible in his own end, and only real knock is he's considered less of a playmaker and more of a sniper/finisher. He's also the only one of the Sweden's 3 "Berg" forwards whos spent virtually the entire season in the Swedish Elite League.
These ++ speed guys are always interesting. I think of Dave Morrisette, Bret Hedican, Belle, and (not our drafted guy, but picked up early in his career) Craig Conroy off the bat. My concern would be if the player may grow impatient and go back home to Sweden before he develops. It took Hedican and Conroy some time to catch up with themselves. (Hands to speed to hockey sense) Belle and Morrisette never did.... Given our record signing and bringing over Swedes, I may be willing to wait to see if he falls as a high second rounder. Pretty high risk high reward guy.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:26 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
These ++ speed guys are always interesting. I think of Dave Morrisette, Bret Hedican, Belle, and (not our drafted guy, but picked up early in his career) Craig Conroy off the bat. My concern would be if the player may grow impatient and go back home to Sweden before he develops. It took Hedican and Conroy some time to catch up with themselves. (Hands to speed to hockey sense) Belle and Morrisette never did.... Given our record signing and bringing over Swedes, I may be willing to wait to see if he falls as a high second rounder. Pretty high risk high reward guy.
Definitely an intriguing player. I doubt he drops to the second round though, and if he does he'll likely be gone before we pick. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes Top 15.

Here's a short Youtube clip:

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:09 PM
stlweir

Thanks for the clip. Has room to fill out, has a bit of swagger and a quick release to go along with his speed. Very interesting prospect.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Prussian_Blue

Maybe take a mid-round flyer (fourth round or so) on Memorial Cup Final game hero Anton Zlobin?

The Blues ought to have some familiarity with him, seeing as how he's been playing on the same squad as 2011 draftee Yannick Veilleux (who also had a solid championship game) all year.

5-11, 198, so not too small. February 1993 birthdate, so can turn pro at the end of next season.

QMJHL regular season: 66 GP, 40-36-76, plus-42, 50 PM, 8 PPG, 4 GWG.
QMJHL playoffs: 11 GP, 3-7-10, plus-9, 2 PM, no special-teams goals.
Memorial Cup: 6 GP, 5-4-9, plus-4, 0 PM, 1 PPG, 1 GWG (Memorial Cup winning goal in OT).

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:59 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Girgensons is a center, power-forward type, highly thought of by scouts and fans alike. He is a playmaker with a scorer's touch and nose for the net (49 GP, 24-31-55, plus-17, 69 PM, 5 PPG, 6 GWG for Dubuque of the USHL this year). He has committed to Vermont (ECAC), so the Blues can stash him there for as many as four years without having to pay him, and allow him to further develop on someone else's time and on someone else's dime.

Hertl, as was mentioned earlier, should be familiar to the Blues because he plays on the same team -- and occasionally, on the same line -- as 2011 draftee Dmitrij Jaskin. Hertl had a mild breakout season in the Czech Republic this year (12-13-25, plus-9, 22 PM, 3 PPG, 1 SHG in 38 games), putting up solid numbers as a 17-year-old playing second-line minutes in one of the top senior elite leagues in Europe.

Matteau is another "legacy" player for the Blues, like Philip McRae and BJ Crombeen. Kamloops forward Tim Bozon is another, and another player I'm keeping my eye on for the Blues. Matteau has the size and power forward game his father had, with a little more scoring touch and a lot more aggressiveness (15-17-32, 166 PM in 46 games with the USNTDP). I'm thinking, long-term, a new home-grown "French Connection" line for the Blues in about three years, with Matteau between Perron and 2011 draftee Yannick Veilleux.
All three definitely should be on our radar. Matteau I haven't heard as much about. It would be intriguing to say the least. I really thought his father was quite a smart player with a decent skill set. Girgenson sounds like a safe pick.

Personally with some extra picks, I would like to see a safe pick with the first choice and mix in a couple high risk high reward guys in with the extra picks.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Maybe take a mid-round flyer (fourth round or so) on Memorial Cup Final game hero Anton Zlobin?

The Blues ought to have some familiarity with him, seeing as how he's been playing on the same squad as 2011 draftee Yannick Veilleux (who also had a solid championship game) all year.

5-11, 198, so not too small. February 1993 birthdate, so can turn pro at the end of next season.

QMJHL regular season: 66 GP, 40-36-76, plus-42, 50 PM, 8 PPG, 4 GWG.
QMJHL playoffs: 11 GP, 3-7-10, plus-9, 2 PM, no special-teams goals.
Memorial Cup: 6 GP, 5-4-9, plus-4, 0 PM, 1 PPG, 1 GWG (Memorial Cup winning goal in OT).
Hmmm...he could be good. I'd hate to get caught up in the hype of this one season and draft him too high though. With our depth at wing, I think we should take a C in the first round (Hertl or Girgensons would be perfect). I think the Islanders might take him in the 2nd to keep him with his junior linemate (and NYI draftee) Kirill Kabanov, but if he slides to us at #56, it might be worth considering.

Here's an article about him:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...-of-shawinigan

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Personally with some extra picks, I would like to see a safe pick with the first choice and mix in a couple high risk high reward guys in with the extra picks.
Me, I would like to use those picks to move up to get our guy. We have enough depth in the system at this point that we could move picks to ensure that we get our guy (whoever that would be).

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Me, I would like to use those picks to move up to get our guy. We have enough depth in the system at this point that we could move picks to ensure that we get our guy (whoever that would be).
I could see using some of those picks and/or some of the Blues' young wing depth -- plus their first-rounder -- to move up five or ten spots if it looks like either Hertl or Girgensons will fall out of the top 15. Both of those guys seem to be exactly what the Blues should be looking for in this draft.

I saw a mock elsewhere that had the Blues getting Hertl in the first round, and Henrik Samuelsson in the second. If that happened in the real world, I'd be a happy Prussian...

Old
05-30-2012, 10:02 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
By who, exactly? I don't recall seeing that listed as a concern in any of the scouting reports I've seen on Skjei.
Chris Peters, for one.

He's not a scout per se but knows hockey and is very connected to those at USA Hockey. He's become one of the go-to voices for American prospects, especially the NTDPers.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:05 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
I like what I have read about Girgensons and Hertl and Gaunce. But if they are gone, I like what I have read about Jordan Schmaltz. Very solid Dman - big and his frame can fill out. Great hockey smarts -- good skater.

I also like Mike Winther.

2nd Rounders - Samuelsson and Lundberg - Nieves and Vail.
I can pretty much tell you everything you'd like to know about Schmaltz.

Let's just say there's a reason he went from pre-season #2 OVERALL in ISS rankings to currently being ranked outside the first round at the end of season rankings.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:18 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post

Let's just say there's a reason he went from pre-season #2 OVERALL in ISS rankings to currently being ranked outside the first round at the end of season rankings.
Would you mind sharing that reason?

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:06 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
I hope there is a guy that maybe they have a little higher on their radar than most. I'm understanding this draft contains a top 6, then next 8, then 14-45, then a crap shoot on this draft with the wild card being lots of injuries among those they thought would impress. That kind of makes me like our chances with multiple picks in the 3rd round for the injured that have fallen. Maybe move one and two to get in the top 14-17? Is that what you are thinking?

Old
05-31-2012, 02:17 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post

I don't remember ever seeing him #2 overall I saw him after 10 in most pre season rankings.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Prussian_Blue

So, in a mock draft here at HF, I've just made the following trade:

To STL: David Krejci, Tommy Cross.

To BOS: STL 1st pick 2012 (25th overall), Dmitrij Jaskin, Jordan Binnington.

I addressed current needs on the NHL roster (Krejci is a 26-YO playmaking C, Cross a 23-YO 6' 3, 215-pound LD with two NCAA championships under his belt), and gave up only futures.

The board's thoughts?

Old
06-01-2012, 07:31 PM
simon in canada

Quote:

I addressed current needs on the NHL roster (Krejci is a 26-YO playmaking C, Cross a 23-YO 6' 3, 215-pound LD with two NCAA championships under his belt), and gave up only futures.

The board's thoughts?
I think you made out like a bandit on this one! I would make this trade in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, in the real world I doubt the Bruins go for it.

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:35 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
That's a hell of a deal. Jaskin most likely will never see the NHL if he doesn't grow by leaps and bounds.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:

The board's thoughts?
Army will be giving you a ring very shortly. He is thinking of adding a assistant GM to the mix.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 08:00 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Intrigued by Scott Laughton. Woodlief has him 17th (which is about as high as you see him anywhere) and he has a knack for identifying late risers that the Blues also seem to like. Seems like a classic Hitchcock 200-foot two-way player and Mike Richards is his comparable.

Link

Quote:
While Laughton is not the most talented player of the draft, he is certainly one of the most combative and hard-working players available. Despite a relatively average frame, he plays a determined, physical and smart game while remaining valuable to his team in all situations. Laughton can also chip in offensively often enough to be a threat and garner power play time on the second unit. He is not afraid to block shots or take a big hit to clear the puck from the defensive zone.

While he certainly will never be a point-per-game player in the NHL, Laughton has good-enough offensive skills to produce on a relatively regular basis while neutralizing the opponent’s best line. His shot is underrated as he tends to look too much for the pass, which is often a detriment to his offensive numbers. Laughton is not afraid to drop the gloves or deliver punishing hits in order to wake up his team or change the momentum of a game, but he could play a more disciplined game at times.
The Blues going forward are going to have some elite offensive talent on the wings. A gritty, in your face, ultra competitive guy who doesn't give an inch and who's totally committed to a 200-foot game complemented by more skilled finishers on the wing sounds like a good fit to me. Would not be bummed at all if he's the name the Blues call at 25.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 08:19 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Intrigued by Scott Laughton. Woodlief has him 17th (which is about as high as you see him anywhere) and he has a knack for identifying late risers that the Blues also seem to like. Seems like a classic Hitchcock 200-foot two-way player and Mike Richards is his comparable.

Link

The Blues going forward are going to have some elite offensive talent on the wings. A gritty, in your face, ultra competitive guy who doesn't give an inch and who's totally committed to a 200-foot game complemented by more skilled finishers on the wing sounds like a good fit to me. Would not be bummed at all if he's the name the Blues call at 25.
That's the guy I want, but it looks like he'll be drawing some interest right before we pick.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Robb_K

With 4 choices in the first 3 rounds, they should get 4 very solid players. Of Course, Army might trade one (or, possibly, even 2 of those choices, if it could boost a package enough to land a Top -4 defencemen or Top-6 centre.

There are so many good forwards and defencemen on a plateau level in this draft. I'm not worried about who will fall to our slots. They shouldn't use a choice on a goalie until at least round 5, unless a highly-rated one falls to our slot in the 4th.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Laughton would be OK, but there are players out there that I like a heck of a lot more.

Never been sold on Woodlief's player evaluations. JMO.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:47 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:

Link

Just curious, do you think that the Blues would keep Laughton at center, or is he the type of player that they would move to wing? This is the first I've really heard of Laughton, though he seems like the kind of player that would fit right in with what we are doing here in St. Louis.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:41 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
I could see using some of those picks and/or some of the Blues' young wing depth -- plus their first-rounder -- to move up five or ten spots if it looks like either Hertl or Girgensons will fall out of the top 15. Both of those guys seem to be exactly what the Blues should be looking for in this draft.

I saw a mock elsewhere that had the Blues getting Hertl in the first round, and Henrik Samuelsson in the second. If that happened in the real world, I'd be a happy Prussian...

Sounds like Samuelsson is having a very good NHL combine. With his size, grit, and bloodlines, I'm thinking we would have to take him in the first round. I like what I have read about Jarrod Maidens though the injury may take lots of consideration before drafting. Also Calle Andersson seems to have good size and offensive skill (based on numbers) for a 2nd or 3rd round pick should he slip to 3, but I can't find much on him. Mainly he just has a great hockey name, and sounds like a player...ha ha.

I'm thinking that at the combine, they are just telling everyone over 6'3" that you must be a goalie....go this way. Surprised at the lack of size in the top 50 and surprised at the number of big goalies.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:07 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Brock, who is an OHL prospect aficionado, posted his top 50 (+HMs) from the OHL. Here's the top 10, with Laughton in at 9. Plenty of other good writeups so give him a click.

Quote:
9. Scott Laughton - F - Oshawa Generals
No forward in this crop did more for their draft stock in the final few months of the season than Scott Laughton. While several of the team's top players were away during December, Laughton really took off offensively with the increased ice time. It was from then on that he became a two way beast, playing in all situations for the Generals. Laughton is a jack of all trades center who does pretty much everything well. What makes him so effective is how aggressive he is at all times. He is a very difficult player to play against at both ends of the ice. He's not incredibly big, but he's a bull on the puck and very hard to separate from it. He's aggressive in driving to the net and has surprisingly good hands which allows him to be deceptively dynamic. He catches defenders by surprise at times by how well he can carry the puck. Laughton is also excellent along the boards. He's a very effective forechecker who can force turnovers and work the cycle to wear down opposing defenses. It was his forechecking ability and hard work along the wall which made him so effective at the Under 18's, where I felt like he was one of Canada's top players. Laughton was also one of the top face-off men at the tourney, a very valuable skill for a strong two way centerman. The real stickler among scouts appears to be what his high end potential is; can he be a top 2 line center, or is he more likely a solid 3rd line guy (which means there is little separation between Laughton and a guy like Brady Vail).? I remember scouts having this same debate about a guy in 2003 named Mike Richards, and he turned out alright. I see Laughton as a very comparable player at the same age.
I think the reason he's sticking in my mind is how prototypical a Hitchcock player he sounds like. The debate is whether you're going to get a good #2C or a great #3C. Yeah, it's nice to hit homeruns, and yeah, he's 2-4 years away from an NHL spot, but it sounds like the downside is still a hell of a useful player and the kind winning teams have. Kind of seems like a Marchand sandpaper player. He'd eventually reach a roster loaded with talent like Schwartz, Perron, Rattie, Tarasenko, and if his forechecking can feed these guys the puck, it feels like the Blues would be a hell of a fit for this kid. He should be in the Blues' range unless someone especially covets him.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote