HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues 2012 amateur draft -- Jordan Schmaltz 1st Round Pick

Old
06-09-2012, 05:26 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacheesh View Post
The more I hear about him, the more I want Hampus Lindholm.
Hampus Lindholm? what a name! And this swedish prospect could also be the next Christian Backman also.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:41 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Agreed, Ive been reading a lot about him the last couple days and he really intrigues me. Although I highly doubt he will still be around when our pick comes up.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:03 PM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
There's a reason why I picket him in the mod draft!

I suspect he'll be gone before 25th in the real draft though.

Also, what's the point of comparing any Swdish d-man to Backman? Why? Its just so random. Other than playing the same position and coming from the same country, there's nothing about Lindholm'm game that reminds me if Backstrom (not that Backstrom was the sorst okayer in the world anyway). Id folks are going to pick a random Swedish d-man, why not Lidstrom? It would make just as much sense.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:32 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
There's a reason why I picket him in the mod draft!

I suspect he'll be gone before 25th in the real draft though.

Also, what's the point of comparing any Swdish d-man to Backman? Why? Its just so random. Other than playing the same position and coming from the same country, there's nothing about Lindholm'm game that reminds me if Backstrom (not that Backstrom was the sorst okayer in the world anyway). Id folks are going to pick a random Swedish d-man, why not Lidstrom? It would make just as much sense.
Meh, it just popped up into my mind about Backman from back in the day, or working too long on the nightshift, LOL

Old
06-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
You always go BPA with the early picks but if there's a tie among players, I'd prioritize them in the order of center, LD, RD, LW, RW, goalie.
Judging by the state of the Blues' organization and prospect pool currently, I'd go C, LW, LD, RD, RW, G.

Right now the only "true" LW prospects the Blues have in the system are Grachev, Veilleux, SDR and Max Tardy. That's not exactly a lineup that's gonna keep opposing coaches awake at night.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:30 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Judging by the state of the Blues' organization and prospect pool currently, I'd go C, LW, LD, RD, RW, G.

Right now the only "true" LW prospects the Blues have in the system are Grachev, Veilleux, SDR and Max Tardy. That's not exactly a lineup that's gonna keep opposing coaches awake at night.
I can see valuing LW over RD or perhaps even LD but why aren't you counting Schwartz at LW? He's played the last 3 seasons at LW now.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
I can see valuing LW over RD or perhaps even LD but why aren't you counting Schwartz at LW? He's played the last 3 seasons at LW now.
Well, slap my forehead and call me Homer...

Dropped the ball on that one, I did.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:23 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

well schwartzy will be graduating soon, and after him it is pretty bare on the left

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:22 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
well schwartzy will be graduating soon, and after him it is pretty bare on the left
Yeah but bare in the same way the RD is "bare" besides Hakanpaa. Next year at this time after Schwartz has enough NHL games to "graduate" they'll have the 21yo Schwartz, the 25yo Perron and the 29yo Steen (and the 26yo Sobotka) on LW on the NHL roster with no imminent need for replacement. That's a solid mix of skill and two-way play that can be set up that way for enough years and time for another skilled LW to develop. Basically LW = RD in terms of organizational need in my mind. Really center is the far and away most important position to re-stock and LD has plenty of prospects with upside but not enough on the NHL roster.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:48 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

HF Staff mock draft here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...aff-mock-draft

"25. St. Louis Blues

Dalton Thrower, D, Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
After coming away with forward-heavy draft classes at the previous two drafts, St. Louis could take advantage of a deep class of defensemen to bolster their depth on the blue line. Although he may not possess ideal size, the 5'11 and 189 pound Dalton Thrower plays a fearless game and is not shy about mixing it up against anyone. His vision and hockey sense also make him a threat to score offensively. A mainstay on Saskatoon's top defensive pairing as well as both special teams units, Thrower's ability to contribute at both ends of the ice is unmatched by any other defenseman in the Blues system.

Other potential picks: Nicolas Kerdiles, Ludvig Bystrom, Stefan Matteau, Tanner Pearson, Henrik Samuelsson."

Also on the board is Scott Laughton, someone who has been discussed around here.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:27 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Really hope it's not Thrower. Sounds like reading about a smaller Barret Jackman. Nothing against Jackman but that's really not an exciting first round pick. If Laughton and Thrower are both on the board and they go with Thrower I'll be unimpressed.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:20 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

I'm sure that whomever is " on the board " at 25 and at the top of the Blues list will be thier pick except Goalie a risky position to draft 18 year olds ( Marek Schwatz in 2004 anyone? )

The 'note need help at LW & C IMO

Old
06-14-2012, 05:22 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Anyway, I'm sure the Blues will do fine with whoever they take recent history have been outsanding with the 1st round picks even in the 20's ( Perron, Oshie )

Old
06-14-2012, 06:46 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
I'm sure that whomever is " on the board " at 25 and at the top of the Blues list will be thier pick except Goalie a risky position to draft 18 year olds ( Marek Schwatz in 2004 anyone? )

The 'note need help at LW & C IMO
Agree on the goalie; I hate drafting goalies with top picks as the bust rate is so high. How a guy looks 4-5 years before he's going to make the NHL is almost meaningless IMO. It's almost like they need the inner motivation of being an afterthought pick. 9th rounders like the two who start for the Blues and countless other examples suggest a team can do just as well with later picks.

LW is pretty deep with Schwartz, Grachev, Veillieux, Tesink, Jaskin, Della Rovere as prospects, along with McDonald, Perron, Steen, Sobotka on the roster. That's as loaded and deep an organizational position as the Blues have right now.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:15 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Really hope it's not Thrower. Sounds like reading about a smaller Barret Jackman. Nothing against Jackman but that's really not an exciting first round pick. If Laughton and Thrower are both on the board and they go with Thrower I'll be unimpressed.
From the write ups on those two, I'd want Laughton over Thrower as well.

What about Stefan Matteau? His write up in the mock draft is pretty intriguing.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:23 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
From the write ups on those two, I'd want Laughton over Thrower as well.

What about Stefan Matteau? His write up in the mock draft is pretty intriguing.
Im also curious about Matteau, Ive seen some people's mocks where they have us picking him but Im not familiar with him at all.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:34 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It is almost our turn on the team mock board draft. Boston just started and here are their choices, so one of these will be gone and one will be added:

Andrei Vasilevski
Nicolas Kerdiles
Martin Frk
Malcolm Subban
Ludvig Byström
Tom Wilson
Henrik Samuelsson
Brady Skjei
Mark Jankowski
Colton Sissons
Phil Di Giuseppe

Absolutely do not want the Blues to draft a goalie in the first. If Bystrom's still there I'd probably say him. Skjei just makes me think of Shawn Belle – awesome skater, hockey sense not a strong suit. Of the forwards, the pros and cons of Kerdiles, Samuelsson and Wilson should be weighed. Jankowski is a wild card. (I worry that Wilson will be a 4th liner w/o the offense.)

Old
06-14-2012, 07:38 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
It's a shame Frk is a RW. He has some decent potential.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:19 PM
pricer502

vCash: 250
Quote:
It is almost our turn on the team mock board draft. Boston just started and here are their choices, so one of these will be gone and one will be added:

Andrei Vasilevski
Nicolas Kerdiles
Martin Frk
Malcolm Subban
Ludvig Byström
Tom Wilson
Henrik Samuelsson
Brady Skjei
Mark Jankowski
Colton Sissons
Phil Di Giuseppe

Absolutely do not want the Blues to draft a goalie in the first. If Bystrom's still there I'd probably say him. Skjei just makes me think of Shawn Belle – awesome skater, hockey sense not a strong suit. Of the forwards, the pros and cons of Kerdiles, Samuelsson and Wilson should be weighed. Jankowski is a wild card. (I worry that Wilson will be a 4th liner w/o the offense.)
I really like Nicolas Kerdiles' game. He is extrememly strong on the puck and he gives it 110% every shift. He has decent size and likes to go to the dirty areas. Not the most skilled player but the kid has heart. I would love to see us get him. Hes also LW.

Last edited by pricer502: 06-14-2012 at 08:56 PM.
pricer502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:25 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Skjei is so much fun to watch on tape, but I can't really see him being a great player in the NHL. I'd go with either Bystrom or Frk if the board looked like that, maybe leaning slightly towards Bystrom.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:55 PM
simon in canada

Lukas Sutter. Then hire his dad as an assistant coach.

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:

Andrei Vasilevski
Nicolas Kerdiles
Martin Frk
Malcolm Subban
Ludvig Byström
Tom Wilson
Henrik Samuelsson
Brady Skjei
Mark Jankowski
Colton Sissons
Phil Di Giuseppe

I actually like Henrik Samuelsson he has size and an NHL bloodline. I guess the negative is him being a right wing. I also like Colton Sissons I thought he was higher rated at one time. Ludvig Byström could be good I just worry about europeans not wanting to play in the AHL at times.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Of that group, I like Samuelsson a lot. Played well down the stretch for Edmonton despite only playing there half of the season. He has a fantastic hockey pedigree and plays a heady two way game. I see him being a good NHLer for a long time, so I wouldnt hesitate to use a late 1st rounder on him.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:16 AM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

I worked as the video guy for the Miami Redhawks this season and We played Michigan four times this year. Everytime I watched live or reviewed the tape I kept noticing Di Giuseppe and he impressed me every game. I have a feeling he could be a heck of a steal in the late 1st to early/mid 2nd round. He's a guy I can see putting up alot of points now that Chris Brown is leaving and a few more guys after this year will be.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:06 AM
h22prelude93

Would love to see the Blues pick Ludvig Byström, and for some reason I have a strong feeling that he's someone the Blues brass could really have on their radar. Not to brag, but I had the same feeling before previous drafts concerning Pietrangelo, Tarasenko, and most recently Jaškin.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote