HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Miikka Kiprusoff

Old
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Kader

vCash: 500
Miikka Kiprusoff

I know the Calgary rebuild threads are everywhere, and I know Feaster refuses to blow up the roster, but I'm seriously wondering what it would take to get Kipper out of Calgary.

GP: 36
W: 18
L: 14
OT: 2
SV%: .915
GAA: 2.47
SO: 2

He's 35 years old, but he's got a couple good seasons left in him. If he got moved to a contending team lacking goaltending he might be worth it.

What would it take from your team to get him?

(If this has already been done I apologize, couldn't find the thread)

Kader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
TOML

Most contending teams have their goaltending issues solved already.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Most contending teams have their goaltending issues solved already.
I think Tampa, Detroit, Chicago and possibly Philadelphia could use Kipper. There are other non-contenders too.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I think Tampa, Detroit, Chicago and possibly Philadelphia could use Kipper. There are other non-contenders too.
Tampa isn't a contender, Detroit is going with Howard, and Philadelphia is stuck with Bryz. Chicago could be interested, but they aren't going to offer very much, and the Flames would have to take Crawford/Emery and a cap dump. Kipper gets paid too much to have value for a contender.

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:13 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Tampa wants a long term solution. No matter how good Kipper is Tampa doesn't have much interest.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:29 AM
RandyRolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Tampa wants a long term solution. No matter how good Kipper is Tampa doesn't have much interest.
To be fair if that were true they would have signed Smith not Roloson. So now they are forced to look for an immediate solution if they have any hope of getting back in the playoff race. But I don't think they are willing to give up anything that Calgary would want.

Washington may be a good spot. They need a real number 1 and they have a lot they are willing to move. But I'm sure Iginla would also need to be on the table.

RandyRolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Crawford + Pirri/1st for Kipper would work for me

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRolfe View Post
To be fair if that were true they would have signed Smith not Roloson. So now they are forced to look for an immediate solution if they have any hope of getting back in the playoff race. But I don't think they are willing to give up anything that Calgary would want.

Washington may be a good spot. They need a real number 1 and they have a lot they are willing to move. But I'm sure Iginla would also need to be on the table.
Not necessarily. Smith had been there for years and clearly wasn't working out so they decided not to keep him and re-signed the at-the-time better goalie. The Lightning were well aware that Roloson isn't the long-term solution in net and still chose to re-sign him because that was the best move to make. They knew and still know they have to find someone else for the future but that guy was definitely not going to be Mike Smith, which is why they let him walk.

Why re-sign a guy that was waived and was consistently one of the worst starters in the League over the last few years over the guy that just brought you to the ECF and one game away from the SCF last spring? It seems like a no-brainer. Smith's worked in Phoenix and Roloson's struggled this year. If I had to go back I'd still choose Roloson. That was simply the better move to make at the time.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:21 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Still would throw money on Vokoun... Hindside's a *****

Old
01-09-2012, 05:57 AM
palindrom

Kiprusoff could hold some value at the deadline.

But in the summer is value is close to zero... too many good UFA avaible Nabokov, Vokoun, Elliott, Biron, Harding, Montoya

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Northern Heat

I'm sure there would be a ton of interest in him but the timing just isn't right. Any teams looking for goaltending would likely rather not take his cap hit.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post

But in the summer is value is close to zero... too many good UFA avaible Nabokov, Vokoun, Elliott, Biron, Harding, Montoya
Would you seriously bet your franchise on Elliott/Montoya/Biron before Kipper? Vokoun, Nabby have a history to back them up and have handled that role for years. Harding is young(ish) and looks promising and I would love for a team to take a chance on him. But the others, no way. Elliott is simply this years Anderson/Clemmenson. Could he be the real deal? Perhaps, but he's never really shown it before this year...

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

vCash: 50
Quote:

none of the mentioned are better then Kipper.

Svensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

and won't be better than him in the next 2 years...

Old
01-10-2012, 05:39 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Would you seriously bet your franchise on Elliott/Montoya/Biron before Kipper? Vokoun, Nabby have a history to back them up and have handled that role for years. Harding is young(ish) and looks promising and I would love for a team to take a chance on him. But the others, no way. Elliott is simply this years Anderson/Clemmenson. Could he be the real deal? Perhaps, but he's never really shown it before this year...
The risky gamble is to trade asset for Kiprusoff.

Signing Biron, Elliot, Montoya to a cheap contract is a low risk proposition. If it doesnt work, teams can always make other move.

Just look at the flyers, they went with the ''safe bet'' with Bryzgalov. He doesnt look better than the average cheap UFA they had for years.

Kiprusoff is about the same deal than Nabokov and Vokoun, but with a big difference: Calgary made the mistake to lock him to a long term Big $ deal.

San Jose and Florida didnt do this mistake with Vokoun/Nabokov

Kiprusoff, in the last few years wasnt better than the average goalie.

Mark my Word: Calgary will find success again once Kiprusoff contract expire.

I just wonder what people would think of Kiprusoff if he had exactly the same stats, but in a small market with a small contract.

Last edited by palindrom: 01-10-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old
01-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Ottawa could use a better alternative to Alex Auld, if we are still in the playoff picture. A nice 1a/1b would be nice and im sure we have the cap room. Im just not sure we have the assets to give up.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Walesy1976

Quote:

Signing Biron, Elliot, Montoya to a cheap contract is a low risk proposition. If it doesnt work, teams can always make other move.

Just look at the flyers, they went with the ''safe bet'' with Bryzgalov. He doesnt look better than the average cheap UFA they had for years.

Kiprusoff is about the same deal than Nabokov and Vokoun, but with a big difference: Calgary made the mistake to lock him to a long term Big $ deal.

I just wonder what people would think of Kiprusoff if he had exactly the same stats, but in a small market with a small contract.
Kipper earns every penny of his contract. He starts 65-70 games a year. He faces a lot of quality shots every game as our team isn't the greatest at the moment and the only reason we are not sitting next to Columbus at the bottom of the table is Kipper.

We'd only get rid of him for a big return. He's still amazing, just on a team that's really not helping him out at all. Any serious contender this year would do well to upgrade to him if they are worried about their netminder.

Walesy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 08:41 AM
berto14

Quote:

Sorry, but you can't cherry-pick the handful of examples that support your argument and ignore the rest. Philly went with the "safe bet" Bryzgalov after two "cheap" alternatives in Bobrovsky and Boucher failed them. Vokoun at $1.5 million was considered the steal of the off-season and yet his numbers have been average at best. And lets not forget Leclaire, Roloson, Hedberg, Conklin, Budaj, Garon, Auld, Boucher, McElhinney, Karlsson or Sanford, all of whom signed "cheap" contracts this off-season and have had varying degrees of success (or lack thereof). Basically, it's a crap-shoot, we just don't know.

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I'd think many of the teams listed would rather target a guy like Schneider or Bernier. They aren't competitive now, but they hope to be in a couple years. Why spend assets on a goalie that may not be around when your team enters its prime?

I could see Florida being interested, but I don't see them buying very high at all.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:59 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto14 View Post
Sorry, but you can't cherry-pick the handful of examples that support your argument and ignore the rest. Philly went with the "safe bet" Bryzgalov after two "cheap" alternatives in Bobrovsky and Boucher failed them. Vokoun at $1.5 million was considered the steal of the off-season and yet his numbers have been average at best. And lets not forget Leclaire, Roloson, Hedberg, Conklin, Budaj, Garon, Auld, Boucher, McElhinney, Karlsson or Sanford, all of whom signed "cheap" contracts this off-season and have had varying degrees of success (or lack thereof). Basically, it's a crap-shoot, we just don't know.
Just you know Vokoun ''average'' number this year is Similar to Kiprusoff ''average'' career number!

I agree the goalie skill run so close it become a crap shoot. But logially we should go for the cheapest crap-shoot, not the most expensive one!

I dont consider Roloson signed for cheap at 3 500 000$ tampa bay choose the ''safe bet'' with Roloson!
Hedberg and and Sanford are actually giving a run for their money to Brodeur and Mason.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy1976 View Post
Kipper earns every penny of his contract. He starts 65-70 games a year. He faces a lot of quality shots every game as our team isn't the greatest at the moment and the only reason we are not sitting next to Columbus at the bottom of the table is Kipper.

We'd only get rid of him for a big return. He's still amazing, just on a team that's really not helping him out at all. Any serious contender this year would do well to upgrade to him if they are worried about their netminder.
I dont know how to spell it for you, or the rest of the base flames fans:

Take the last 30 000 shoots Kiprusoff faced, he didnt stop more of then than the average NHL starter did in their last 30 000 shoots. But he did at a premium $ contract.

And keep in mind that the average starter play for an average team as well!

Yes kriprusoff is Amazing, so is the average goalie nowadays.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:07 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Just you know Vokoun ''average'' number this year is Similar to Kiprusoff ''average'' career number!
Just so you know, Vokoun has been pretty ordinary on a very good team and Kiprusoff has been unbelievably good on a very bad team. One has not achieved expectations while the other has exceeded them.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:11 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Just so you know, Vokoun has been pretty ordinary on a very good team and Kiprusoff has been unbelievably good on a very bad team. One has not achieved expectations while the other has exceeded them.
You mean Vokoun has been ordinary since the lockout with Florida and Florida was a very good team? Guy, Vokoun is statistically the best goalie in since the lockout, he stopped most of the last 20 000 shoots he faced than any goalie in the league.

Do you know that part of the reason Calgary is a bad team in the first place is because Kiprusoff eat 5 833 333$ of the precious cap space that could be used for a upgrade upfront?

Its normal that premium pay goalies have weaker teams in front of them since a big part of the budget is allocated to them, they are paid big $ to make up for it. But Kiprusoff doesn't.
Its a very lame excuse for their performance.

Last edited by palindrom: 01-10-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old
01-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Walesy1976

Kipper has averaged 75 games a season since the lockout averaging 40 wins a season. For the extra 2 million that Kipper makes, I'll pay that all day long.

As for average career stats, Kipper would need to lose the next 100 games he plays to catch up with Vokoun!

But I'm not that big a fan of stats, I'm a fan of an amazing goalie who gives the flames a chance to win every night he plays.

Walesy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Northern Heat

Everyone can say what they want. Kipper's numbers would be phenomenal on a team that put up a defence in front of him.

There have been lots of times when he may have looked average or ordinary but he also stole a ton of games that CGY had no business winning. A goalie capable of doing that on a poor team deserves props. He was signed to big money because he was a big money goalie at the time, and he really hasn't faltered considering he isn't a streaky goalie and hasn't disappeared since signing a big extension like so many others have.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote