HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Growing Confident In Gustavsson

Old
01-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Leafs Growing Confident In Gustavsson

Quote:
"It helps everybody," Darryl Boyce added. "When your last line of defence is making big saves that gives a boost to the whole group and you just get energetic to play in front of a guy like that."

With a strong effort defensively from the group in front of him the Sabres were kept mostly to the outside the 27-year-old was not forced to be spectacular, only efficient and sturdy when called upon.

"Naturally his confidence has grown the way he's played," Wilson said. "He's handling pucks, he's confident, he's making key saves when we need them and he's playing really well."

"His play is giving us a lot of confidence," Cody Franson added. "He's made a lot of saves at key times in games that have enabled us to get wins.

"He's on his game right now. We're happy for him."

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=384755
LEAFS GROWING CONFIDENT IN GUSTAVSSON

01-12-2012, 07:55 PM
JGardiner51

I think we can all agree that Gus' play has been a total surprise. No one saw it coming just like Burkes trade in the next 10 days

JGardiner51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:57 PM
NomNom
Oh Yeah

Send a message via Skype™ to NomNom
Gustavsson success really makes me smile. He worked hard, never complained, took his time, remained positive and he is shining now. His success is our success.

NomNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Eamonn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiner51 View Post
I think we can all agree that Gus' play has been a total surprise. No one saw it coming just like Burkes trade in the next 10 days
Not trying to brag.. but I said multiple times before the year that Gustavsson was going to take over. Of course at times I regret saying that, now it's really looking like I was right. Hopefully he continues to play solid.

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Hurt

Goose doing work with some confidence. Hopefully he keeps it going, for the sake of our Leafs.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Blueblood

One day soon, when a Leaf goalie hoists the cup over his head, I really hope Gus goes down in history as that guy. He will be a hero in this city for the rest of his life. I am really pulling for this guy, and was even when most wanted to waive him.

Blueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:00 PM
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg

vCash: 50
Time to unload these gem's on you kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Oh ya cause Scrivens is "killing it" in the A that automatically translates to success in the NHL.

Gusty's conditional stint in the A last year (When he had no confidence, playing some of the worst hockey of his life) had a .955 sv % and a 1.14 GAA.

The guy is a good freaking goalie. He's unconfident and he's playing poorly. I'm glad you all focus on the negatives though. Really make's it easy for players to play here
Quote:
How about when we got him he was the best goalie outside of the NHL(that's debatable). Or in his first year he posted a .902 save %? The fact that he's had no confidence and when ever he plays the Leafs leave him out to dry. His AHL numbers from the conditioning stint are dominant. Shows what he can do.

I'll stop talking about the past. Against the Bruins it was only 3-1 at the end of the third. Why? Him. Two of those goals were un savable against the Habs as well but he got the blame. If it was Reimer, it would have been "Nice shot!" or "D's fault". Gusty made huge saves in the 2nd coming off the bench cold.

He's overplaying right now because he wants to carry the team. He wants to be a great goalie. It's in his eyes, you can see it. If he can build some confidence he will take back the starting spot. If not find a crow and I'll eat it.

BIitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
My favorite Leaf Goalie is who ever is playing better. As much as I want Gustavsson to succeed, I want Reimer to push Gustavsson to be better and vice versa.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:00 AM
mozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
My favorite Leaf Goalie is who ever is playing better. As much as I want Gustavsson to succeed, I want Reimer to push Gustavsson to be better and vice versa.
This. While Gus has been playing great, this is the worst Reimer has been playing for us, which has been just below average goaltending. When Gus has been playing at his worst.. well it's been abysmal. Can't wait for Reim's to bounce back and Gus keep it up? Awesome 1A/1B tandem.

mozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:22 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiner51 View Post
Not for everyone. A couple of posters here,including myself,believed in him this whole time.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Schennanigans

He really had to do what he's doing right now. His career depended on it. The team wasn't confident in him, Gus wasn't in himself. If this continued his NHL days would of been over soon enough. Good on him to battle through it and get back in there as the man.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:37 AM
TheArchitect*

Find any post from me in one of the early "We hate Gustavsson" threads and you'll see me defending him. He's always had the talent to play like he is now he just needed confidence and for the team to not leave him out to dry like they used to.

I'm just glad he's shutting the door and I hope Reimer gets back into form soon!

TheArchitect* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Felstead
Boss Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
He really had to do what he's doing right now. His career depended on it. The team wasn't confident in him, Gus wasn't in himself. If this continued his NHL days would of been over soon enough. Good on him to battle through it and get back in there as the man.
I remember saying back when people were throwing Gus under the bus "don't give up on this guy just yet" many people doubted.

He still has lots to prove, sure he is having a stellar run right now. The guys is still young, not at his prime and I'm telling you that we should not give up on him. He will be a good goalie in the NHL, to trade him off would be a huge mistake.

Felstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:41 AM
dimi78

Quote:
Time to unload these gem's on you kids.
Originally Posted by BIitz
"How about when we got him he was the best goalie outside of the NHL(that's debatable). Or in his first year he posted a .902 save %? The fact that he's had no confidence and when ever he plays the Leafs leave him out to dry. His AHL numbers from the conditioning stint are dominant. Shows what he can do.

I'll stop talking about the past. Against the Bruins it was only 3-1 at the end of the third. Why? Him. Two of those goals were un savable against the Habs as well but he got the blame. If it was Reimer, it would have been "Nice shot!" or "D's fault". Gusty made huge saves in the 2nd coming off the bench cold.

He's overplaying right now because he wants to carry the team. He wants to be a great goalie. It's in his eyes, you can see it. If he can build some confidence he will take back the starting spot. If not find a crow and I'll eat it."

This is something that very few can see glad there's somebody else who can pick up on energy as well. I was also one of those who believed that Gus was capable of taking the net as well. Always saw him as the better athletic of the 2 but this thing in the eyes Gus isn't the only one who has it Reimer has it also that's why they didn't go after a vet Burke wants his players to have a fire in there belly and a desire to be the best. Grabovski and Kadri want to be big time players more than anybody this team has had in decades. The fire and competitiveness these 2 have is off the charts that's why I don't see Burke trading either of these 2 because the fire these 2 have is exactly what he wants his whole team to have.

Something like this that few people can see is the difference between somebody who succeeds and somebody who doesn't that's why Burke was prepared to let Kaberle walk for nothing if he didn't get what he wanted in a trade

It's also why I think Burke is talking to Philly about Simmonds not JVR

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
I'll be honest. I thought he was finished. He just seemed like he had nothing going for him. His confidence was so low, he was terribly inconsistent and his team, for whatever reason, could not play very well in front of him. I always believed he had talent and skill, but he could just never figure it out with us. I thought he was done with the Leafs and that maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.

But boy, has he been playing well lately. I'm really happy for the guy. Him and Reimer seem to have a pretty good relationship, and I hope they continue to push each other to become better goaltenders. Regardless of his recent play, I'm still not completely sold on either goalies, but hey, it's the best we got right now. And we can only hope and pray that this continues. GLG!

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:04 AM
TootooTrain
-

I thought he was finished too. I'm willing to admit that. I thought the unsystematic style he has naturally and Allaire's coaching wasn't working and infact was clashing, resulting in a mess. He's certainly turned it around lately. He's gone through many hardships in his life, I could not be more happy to see a player succeed.

I can't find the interview but during a recent visit to Roots by some members of the team, BB said something along the lines of "You saved our ass this season" to Gus. It seems ever since that pat on the back, he's played much much better.

That said, while he's turned it around lately, we have yet to have one of Reimer or Gus take hold of that number1 position and run with it. Reimer certainly had it last year, this year it seems to be Gus. Is it a bad thing to have such uncertainty? I'm not sure, but we're winning games, and that's all that matters.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:05 AM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
Not for everyone. A couple of posters here,including myself,believed in him this whole time.
I agree, he seems to be playing on a whole new level this year. I'm not sure why they didn't let him run with it earlier. I think he was even pulled from starting gigs when he had some decent streaks going.

Hopefully this is more than a contract year push. I think he is just finally adjusting to the league, and getting over some personal humps.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:43 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

I was pleased by Burke's comments wrt Gus on the Sportsnet interview. It shows that our front office is not full of idiots, and they're fully aware of the contributors to our playoff race thus far.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Man Hole Inspector*

He's been playing fantastic lately, hopefully he can stay consistent and finally prove to people he's a capable starter in this league. It's his contract year so he will have to continue at this pace in order to get his desired contract.

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:54 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I, for one am glad he is shined, I was hoping for that, no matter how much I love Reimer, I always have had a soft spot for Gustavsson. He has battled a lot and showed a lot of character to come to where he is now and also showed patience, he was losing it at times but it happens. We also must remember along with Defensemen, goalies are one of the hardest to develop in the game.

Regardless we are in a good position ATM with this healthy competition, as one way another we might get a Dan Ellis(the Nashville beginning one) and Pekka Rinne competition. Possibly barter one off if we see a clear cut winner, who is proving showing consistency and find a team who will take a chance on the other.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:00 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
I'll be honest. I thought he was finished. He just seemed like he had nothing going for him. His confidence was so low, he was terribly inconsistent and his team, for whatever reason, could not play very well in front of him. I always believed he had talent and skill, but he could just never figure it out with us. I thought he was done with the Leafs and that maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.
On November 8th, the Leafs lost to the Panthers and Gustavsson laid an absolute stinker in that game. Everyone ripped him to pieces after that game, and two days later in St. Louis, Ben Scrivens started.

At that point, nobody, including the coaching staff of this team, had faith in the guy and had all but written him off.

For him to have gone from someone who was to fight for the #1 spot, and more importantly, fight for his career in the NHL, and then get bumped to #3, and then bounce back the way that he has is a true show of his character and determination. In many ways, I can't help but feel as if he had to go through that adversity and nearly "bottom out" in order for him to kick himself in the butt to get it going again.

For anyone who listened to Burke's segment on PTS yesterday, he put it best - Jonas Gustavsson has saved our ***** this season; he's saved our season. When Reimer was down, he came in and got the job done as best he could. With Reimer struggling to find form again, he's come in and he's just won. All of this despite not having the trust of his coach and teammates for long stretches of this season.

Truly remarkable if you ask me. It just feels really good to know that this guy has people rooting in his corner, because the knives were out, sharpened, and ready to gut him not too long ago.

Let's hope he keeps it up - if you look at the free agent goalies available this off-season, the pool is very, very weak. It's not inconceivable for Gus to carry his strong play here and hopefully encourage a team in the off-season to take a punt on him as their starter.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:57 AM
mapes

Quote:
I've said to my dad (Bruins fan) a million times Gus has a lot more skill just had no mental toughness to shake off goals and feeds off his confidence. That is why you just keep going with him.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:01 AM
whitera

Quote:
k, hipster

whitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Leafsman

QUESTION:

With the growing confidence in the monster and the hot streak he's been playing. Also taking into account 3 games in 5 nights including a back-to-back.

Does Wilson ride Goose for all three or take a gamble and start Reimer for one???

Then which game would you put Reimer in if need be? Buffalo clearly less pressure then the redhot Rangers and Sens or test Reimer and see whathe's got against two of the arguably best teams right now???

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote