Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

question about cougars

Old
01-11-2012, 06:43 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

vCash: 500
question about cougars

I heard that their attendence is **** if it doesnt improve they are gonna move.... any truth to this?

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
Yep, they almost moved to Chilliwack last year to replace the Bruins, but their owner Brodsky wanted control over the team still.

Honestly, right about now is when rumours will start to happen if any potential movement of the team would happen.

However, there are a few locations that the WHL could work in as a relocation, although 2 of the 3 have their problems.

1) Chilliwack - good WHL market that lost their team completely unfairly last season. Has the BCHL in town and they're running away with the attendance lead in the BCHL (2200 fans, next best team has 1600 fans per game). Last year they averaged 3400 with the Bruins, and while that isn't good, 4000 should be attainable with proper ownership. Now, whether or not the Chilliwack ownership would jump at the WHL one or two years later is the question - but anyone who follows the WHL would say that the league handled the Chilliwack move to Victoria extremely poorly, and that the City should have another team again to prove itself over. As well, a PG to Chilliwack move would keep all divisions intact, with the franchise staying within the BC division.

The league has vetted Chilliwack by saying this earlier this year: "We believe that under the right conditions Chilliwack can be a viable WHL market and we intend to give full consideration to returning should relocation occur in the future." http://www.mychilliwacknews.com/down...ril%202011.pdf

2) Nanaimo - good sized market that would compliment the Royals further south on the island. However, they have no suitable arena and I can't see them playing there until plans for one are made.

3) Winnipeg - great market I think to compliment the Jets. Huge hockey fever in that town with the NHL returning, but I think it's too early just yet for True North to determine whether or not Winnipeg can support NHL & WHL long-term.

4) Contraction - in some ways the WHL sees itself as "too big" with 22 teams, and could look to go down to 20 teams. However, I don't see this happening, especially if the league raises the draft age up a year, and the CHL could then up the over-age limit a year or expand the eligibility to more than 3 players per team.

We'll see, but PG is a horrible location for a team for travel reason - but if ownership is fine with paying losses every year with the horrible attendance - then who knows.

Keep tuned though. I could easily see PG moving either after this season or next season...

Last edited by go_leafs_go02: 01-16-2012 at 05:14 PM.
go_leafs_go02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:45 PM
go_leafs_go02

As a little update: Nanaimo has been awarded the 2013 Western Canadian Championship, which has the winner of each provinces junior leagues (BCHL, etc) from BC to Manitoba meet.

So if PG is to move after this season, Nanaimo may or may not happen.

Old
01-20-2012, 01:14 PM
leoleo3535

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Yep, they almost moved to Chilliwack last year to replace the Bruins, but their owner Brodsky wanted control over the team still.

Honestly, right about now is when rumours will start to happen if any potential movement of the team would happen.

However, there are a few locations that the WHL could work in as a relocation, although 2 of the 3 have their problems.

1) Chilliwack - good WHL market that lost their team completely unfairly last season. Has the BCHL in town and they're running away with the attendance lead in the BCHL (2200 fans, next best team has 1600 fans per game). Last year they averaged 3400 with the Bruins, and while that isn't good, 4000 should be attainable with proper ownership. Now, whether or not the Chilliwack ownership would jump at the WHL one or two years later is the question - but anyone who follows the WHL would say that the league handled the Chilliwack move to Victoria extremely poorly, and that the City should have another team again to prove itself over. As well, a PG to Chilliwack move would keep all divisions intact, with the franchise staying within the BC division.

The league has vetted Chilliwack by saying this earlier this year: "We believe that under the right conditions Chilliwack can be a viable WHL market and we intend to give full consideration to returning should relocation occur in the future." http://www.mychilliwacknews.com/down...ril%202011.pdf

2) Nanaimo - good sized market that would compliment the Royals further south on the island. However, they have no suitable arena and I can't see them playing there until plans for one are made.

3) Winnipeg - great market I think to compliment the Jets. Huge hockey fever in that town with the NHL returning, but I think it's too early just yet for True North to determine whether or not Winnipeg can support NHL & WHL long-term.

4) Contraction - in some ways the WHL sees itself as "too big" with 22 teams, and could look to go down to 20 teams. However, I don't see this happening, especially if the league raises the draft age up a year, and the CHL could then up the over-age limit a year or expand the eligibility to more than 3 players per team.

We'll see, but PG is a horrible location for a team for travel reason - but if ownership is fine with paying losses every year with the horrible attendance - then who knows.

Keep tuned though. I could easily see PG moving either after this season or next season...
Travel is worse for clubs to Victoria and Brandon vs PG.

Rick Brodsky (Cougars owner) gave a candid interview to Dan Russell the other night.
A link to the interview can be found thru Gregg Drinnan's site- http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
Travel is worse for clubs to Victoria and Brandon vs PG.

Rick Brodsky (Cougars owner) gave a candid interview to Dan Russell the other night.
A link to the interview can be found thru Gregg Drinnan's site- http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the interview. Gonna give it a listen...

Still, after what the ownership and the league said about Chilliwack last year, who knows what's really true or what's being down behind the scenes. It happened before, it can happen again.

My thoughts about the interview. From what I can understand, Moray Keith (owner of the Chilliwack rink and BCHL Chilliwack Chiefs) is the only stumbling block to relocating the Cougars to Chilliwack.

Wouldn't surprise me - the opinion I gather from others is that's he quite difficult to deal with, and who knows, maybe his personality told the Chilliwack Bruins ownership group of Darryl Porter, Glen Sather, and Brian Burke to just say screw you and blackball him.

Last edited by go_leafs_go02: 01-20-2012 at 02:17 PM.