HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(2-1 OTL) A Nuge Success!

Old
01-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
So at the rate of improvement some people on here are happy with the oilers will make the playoffs in oh 5 more years?

Dead last
Dead last
4 points from dead last
8 points from dead last
12 points from dead last
9th place almost make the playoffs
Make playoffs!

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:12 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
One player that really impressed me was Petry. Yes he made a big mistake to give the devils the lead, but he came back and played with a fire under his arse.

It was funny CC and RF were talking about how the coaches want the d-men to jump in more and that no one was doing it other than Petry. Did they not see who the other d-men were? Not sure I want Sutton and Peckham jumping in the rush.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:15 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shathar View Post
Yeah, don't want to hate on anyone either, but he's got some issues. He looks confused out there. He's a second late in doing everything he tries to do (kind of like Paajarvi in that regard).
And Paajarvi.. I watched him close last night too. He has no confidence in his instincts anymore. Every time the puck moves 6 inches he stops and swivels his head around before moving. He moves 2 steps, and repeats the prcoess. He's a far cry from the cocky guy I remember in the worlds, who knew exactly what he wanted to do with the puck.
I can't agree with PRV. He was getting back in his own zone a lot quicker than anyone and he was driving a lot harder.

Old
01-12-2012, 09:18 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
I am just glad we kept Henrique off the board!

01-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
One player that really impressed me was Petry. Yes he made a big mistake to give the devils the lead, but he came back and played with a fire under his arse.

It was funny CC and RF were talking about how the coaches want the d-men to jump in more and that no one was doing it other than Petry. Did they not see who the other d-men were? Not sure I want Sutton and Peckham jumping in the rush.
Agreed, Petry reminds me a lot of gilbert actually. You can see some good instincts and good play and then he makes some terrible blunders. If he can cut back on the really bad plays he'll become a decent player.

Old
01-12-2012, 09:38 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
PRV is still **** :p
He hasn't learned anything. He's still as soft as room temperature butter. This kid needs testicle implants.

If there's a trade to be had for him for a decent value (say for a 15-20 first round pick straight up), I'd say take it. Cut losses, if he won't get dirty then he has peaked. I know that's a set back for the rebuild, but top 10 picks should not turn into weak third line checkers so early in their career. I'd rather have an 18 yo with potential than a 21 yo Magnus.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Dabomb

Question: were the fans at Rexall booing Horcoff last night on that one play where he missed a breakout pass? I'm not a big fan of booing players.. but man that brought a lil smile to my face.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Question: were the fans at Rexall booing Horcoff last night on that one play where he missed a breakout pass? I'm not a big fan of booing players.. but man that brought a lil smile to my face.
Yes they were. Horcoff was bagged from a long shift and was far too slow to beat the dman for the puck so he went off so in that case it wasn't totally his fault but I think this will increase as time goes on. Once fans start that kind of thing it will increase unless horcoff turns his game around dramatically.

Of course the announcers were all startled and defended him immediately.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Yeah, they were. It was the end of the shift and once the puck got past him, he turned back towards the bench in a fairly frustrated fashion. I think most of the people booing thought he should have chased the puck down, but the truth was he had been out on the ice for more than a full shift, so the boos may have been a bit misguided.

There was a laundry list of examples of Horcoff's poor play last night, but this instance was down the list, IMO.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:02 AM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags and Gilby View Post
Why do people go to the games and pay $150 for tickets, $8 for beer, and watch a guaranteed loss? It baffles me
because they can afford it and enjoy the experience of live NHL hockey more than you do.

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:05 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
He hasn't learned anything. He's still as soft as room temperature butter. This kid needs testicle implants.

If there's a trade to be had for him for a decent value (say for a 15-20 first round pick straight up), I'd say take it. Cut losses, if he won't get dirty then he has peaked. I know that's a set back for the rebuild, but top 10 picks should not turn into weak third line checkers so early in their career. I'd rather have an 18 yo with potential than a 21 yo Magnus.
Yep. A few posters chewed me apart for saying just trade him for a D prospect and blah because he's "only" 21 etc etc

Gags is what, 5in shorter but at least can take a hit. PRV wont change period. He hasn't since he started. Just goes to show how much of his performance depended on Omark setting him up for the easy tap ins late last season

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Glad people are coming around on Petry. I'm starting to think that the AHL may not be the best place for him afterall. I think he's NHL capable right now and as long as he keeps getting 15+min. per night and special teams time, his development will not be hindered.

As for Sutton, why not let him jump up on the rush? He's proven he can score goals and has a few moves up his sleeve. As long as someone covers for him defensively...

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:10 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Yeah, they were. It was the end of the shift and once the puck got past him, he turned back towards the bench in a fairly frustrated fashion. I think most of the people booing thought he should have chased the puck down, but the truth was he had been out on the ice for more than a full shift, so the boos may have been a bit misguided.

There was a laundry list of examples of Horcoff's poor play last night, but this instance was down the list, IMO.
He was screwed either way. Chase the puck then get beat an the Devils get a chance and then he gets boos for that.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:15 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
Glad people are coming around on Petry. I'm starting to think that the AHL may not be the best place for him afterall. I think he's NHL capable right now and as long as he keeps getting 15+min. per night and special teams time, his development will not be hindered.

As for Sutton, why not let him jump up on the rush? He's proven he can score goals and has a few moves up his sleeve. As long as someone covers for him defensively...
I still think Petry could benefit from some AHL time, but he was good yesterday.

As for Sutton, sure let him go but he can't get back so he better be covered by someone good.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post

yah I agree that that one play didn't justify the booing since it was at the end of his shift. However, I think the frustrations of fans in regards to Horcoff have reached a tipping point... and I'm happy the fans showed their displeasure.. we can't stand his crap play anymore.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:24 AM
frag2

Quote:
Glad people are coming around on Petry. I'm starting to think that the AHL may not be the best place for him afterall. I think he's NHL capable right now and as long as he keeps getting 12+min. per night and special teams time, his development will not be hindered.

Petry just needs to speed up his decision making. He's far too hesitant when he's setup to pass/shoot.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:26 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Petry just needs to speed up his decision making. He's far too hesitant when he's setup to pass/shoot.
Well if Hemsky can speed up and take a shot like he did yesterday, I believe anything is now possible.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:30 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:

Sutton just thinks he's an offensive defenceman. I'd rather let him do what he does well and keep him back most of the time so he can help defensively, you know, where we have the most problems as it is.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Dabomb

Hemsky has looked pretty good the last few games. Maybe since the trade deadline is nearing, he is starting to show and play like he wants to be here. I haven't seen the usual signs of frustration come from #83. Him and Hall are starting to click.. its nice to see.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I tend to agree with you on this, baby steps... It's not enough though. I still believe it would have been better to call up someone else at this point but hopefully he proves me wrong on that in the games to come.
I totally agree, I wasn't for him getting called up and I was even less for him continuing to be joined at the hip with Belanger.

Quote:
Yep. A few posters chewed me apart for saying just trade him for a D prospect and blah because he's "only" 21 etc etc

Gags is what, 5in shorter but at least can take a hit. PRV wont change period. He hasn't since he started. Just goes to show how much of his performance depended on Omark setting him up for the easy tap ins late last season
You are either biased or didn't pay much attention last night then, Paajarvi took a couple of hard shots last night to make plays. Also people have shown the stats of his play with w/out Omark it wasn't all Omark contrary to your belief.

01-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Hemsky has looked pretty good the last few games. Maybe since the trade deadline is nearing, he is starting to show and play like he wants to be here. I haven't seen the usual signs of frustration come from #83. Him and Hall are starting to click.. its nice to see.
Tambo will wait too long, try and squeeze every bit of juice from the orange and Hemksy will get hurt a few days before the deadline.

I'm more aligned with the Burke philosophy at times than the wait till the deadline theory of doing things.

The common theory is that you wait until the deadline to get the best value for players and as other teams fill their holes the remaining ones get desperate and thus pay your price.

The problem is that it is all supply and demand. Right now there are a few teams such as the oilers that have good assets and have packed it in and are sellers. The closer to the deadline you get the more teams there are that will be packing it in and becoming sellers instead of buyers or holders. If the Oilers have decided to trade Hemksy they should be putting on the pressure to get a deal done asap. It sounds like he has been offered around but don;t wait too long until a host of other teams are offering up their players or until he gets hurt.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Those were his best hits, however he took some good shots to make plays after that.
I saw him banging away at loose pucks in front of the net, I'm happy with that.
He didn't look like the same player that got sent down IMO.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I saw him banging away at loose pucks in front of the net, I'm happy with that.
He didn't look like the same player that got sent down IMO.
Agreed, that said playing with Belanger won't help his cause and I'd still like to see a lot more confidence offensively.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Agreed, that said playing with Belanger won't help his cause and I'd still like to see a lot more confidence offensively.
Why not? Its not like belanger has scored more goals/season then PRV has in his career
Belanger should be angry we're giving him such terrible linemates, I mean even Eager has 4 goals playing with the same linemates MPS did

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
frag2

Quote:
I totally agree, I wasn't for him getting called up and I was even less for him continuing to be joined at the hip with Belanger.

You are either biased or didn't pay much attention last night then, Paajarvi took a couple of hard shots last night to make plays. Also people have shown the stats of his play with w/out Omark it wasn't all Omark contrary to your belief.
I watched all of last game. I still don't see a "different" player. Just like that shot in the third period. Don't remember who sprung him flying down the wing but anyway, instead of charging at the net, he still shoots a weak wrister.

I understand it takes time to "learn" but FFS, have something else than that lamo play. Posters lament that Hall can't use his team mates properly-I think Pajaarvi can't even use himself properly, let alone his line mates.

It's not called biased-it's called being a realist. Unlike you, I don't have this "sentimental" attachment because he's a top 10 pick. The disappointment in his development has lost me any attachment and it's best to move on if this is all he can bring.