HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What to do with Mikey?

View Poll Results: What do you think should happen to Mike Cammalleri in response to his comments.
He should be traded as soon as possible, he crossed the line. 31 28.97%
He should have to make a public apology, which is sufficient. 5 4.67%
Nothing should happen to Cammy, no reprimand needed 58 54.21%
Other 13 12.15%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-12-2012, 02:25 AM
HockeyF3ind

vCash: 500
So what do you think would be the appropriate course of action for Mike Cammalleri? I've included some options and and other option.

Personally I think while talking out of step like that is a concern, he didn't say anything that was far off the mark from my vantage point (which is albeit not in the locker room or at practices). He's not taking enough personal ownership over the problems maybe, but I wouldn't move him just for this, or demand a public apology. All that being said, I definitely would move Cammy for a good return, say a 1st or a blue chip prospect and lesser pick.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:47 AM
stides*

He should be traded as soon as possible, he crossed the line.

To the Leafs!

stides* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

i put nothing should be done. All his did was possibly light a fire under the teams ass. I liked what he said, it was honest and someone had to say it. Even if it was the biggest loser on the team

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Gauthier should ask him flat out if he wants to be traded and take it from there

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Chili

He should be moved but good luck there, teams aren't looking to acquire bad contracts of underachievers with questionable attitudes.

Maybe Gainey can take him for a walk along the river.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:19 AM
JV

I read the quotes attributed to him on TSN. Doesn't sound like Mike, imo. It doesn't sound like a native english speaker,for that matter.

But, assuming he said those things, I'd chalk it up to blowing off steam. Should he have said them? No. But is it understandable? For sure.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Jiggernaut

Trade him!

I don't like players on my team that are sick of losing.

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:57 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Trade him because he's a prima donna piece of **** who brings nothing to our team.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:05 AM
alexstream

someone said on Habsworld yesterday that if Gorges had said those things instead of Cammalleri, we'd be all over him praising his Leadership and how he's right about pinpointing the losing attitude of the team.

THIS IS A BUNCH OF LOSER RIGHT NOW.

I haven't enjoyed watching a game in a long while (I missed the 7-3 victory though)

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Trade him, because he reminds us of Kovalev.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Ginu

The guy is a playoff God. Sure he's not playing well this season, but he's obviously a very smart player. I don't think you can fool him into thinking we actually have a chance to come back this season. Any guy who lives for the playoffs would be discouraged at that. And we've been crap since day 1 when the whole team struggled so you can't just put that on him. I agree with him too - we do play like losers.

Mr. Molson has to look at the top organizations in the league. There are a few problems in this city - language, pressure and history. We need an experienced team who gets that. You can't hire the coaches we've hired the last 10-15 years and expect results. Ownership needs to be committed to winning and it starts with getting the Stan Bowman's, Mike Babcock's, Dave Tallon's, the real top guys who have a proven track record of both winning and understanding what it takes to win today. None of the management team we have right now proves that. Ownership has to be committed and pay the money to assemble this team. Once you do that, you have the GM, Assistant GM, Head of Scouting, Head Coach, etc. that get it and know what it takes to win. From there, you get players who can compete with the top teams in the league: Boston, Philly and Detroit. Skill, speed and size. It's not rocket science. And when you do that, your top draft picks will start turning out to be stars because that management team will know how to take the pressure off. But it starts with ownership bringing in the best guys in the league.

Why does this relate to Cammalleri? Because this organization has set itself up to lose. No championship experience at the top as a manager as opposed to on the ice. Roy, Damphousse, Savard, McGuire, none of these guys will do anything in Montreal as they have no track record / experience to address the concerns that this market poses. They have to have a proven track record of successfully managing in a high-pressure organization with plenty of history.

And last but not least, you then go out and get guys like... Cammalleri. Playoff guys who can bring you championships. That's why I don't trade him. He's not the problem, he's part of the solution.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Estimated_Prophet

My opinion is unrelated to Cammalleri's comments as I felt he should be moved at the deadline long before this incident took place.

He only has 2 more seasons left on his contract and with his recent playoff success, he should be able to fetch a decent return from a contender. We may have to take some salary back in order to get the prospects/picks that we want but I believe it can and should be done.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Nothin should happen to him.

Anyone wanting him traded is foolish...

You all want this?
Gauthier pleased to announce MR Michael Cammalleri
has been traded for Doug Leanatuna , Dave Festerling and future considerations .

Gauthier should step down now....he has shown he can keep teams in bottom of NHL no question!

My new nick name for Gauthier is

Pierre "the ANCHOR" Gauthier

he is leading a RUDDDERLESS SHIP, which is doing more damage by the day ,..

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Clumsyhab

Send him to Disneyland where he belongs?

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:16 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Make him play 23 minutes against Boston.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:25 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
someone said on Habsworld yesterday that if Gorges had said those things instead of Cammalleri, we'd be all over him praising his Leadership and how he's right about pinpointing the losing attitude of the team.

THIS IS A BUNCH OF LOSER RIGHT NOW.

I haven't enjoyed watching a game in a long while (I missed the 7-3 victory though)
That's because Gorges plays his heart out every shift (not like a loser) and would back his comments up, Cammalleri has been coasting through the whole year and playing like a loser and is a major part of the reason where we are.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Miller Time

should be traded as soon as possible...

not b/c he "crossed the line", but b/c he revealed his attitude & mindset, and a successful organization can't afford to pay a guy like that, who produces so inconsistently, as one of their top 2 players.

no big deal that he spoke out to the press the way he did, it just shows who he is & how he thinks, and THAT is the bigger problem.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:29 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Cammy is owed 14M after this season and has a limited NTC, so don't be surprised if he doesn't go anywhere.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Cammy is owed 14M after this season and has a limited NTC, so don't be surprised if he doesn't go anywhere.
and Gainey's gifts just keep on giving

Old
01-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
no big deal that he spoke out to the press the way he did, it just shows who he is & how he thinks, and THAT is the bigger problem.
Dunno if it really shows "who he is & how he thinks"... I mean, he was frustrated in the wake of a game where the fans got on him, the team lost, he screwed up on a goal, he had low minutes, etc. It was about the perfect time to get a comment steeped in heat-of-the-moment frustration out of him. It doesn't mean he is always thinking that way.

I hope Cunneyworth is a good communicator. I'm not sure our previous two coaches were or that our GM is. Clearly MC needs a sit-down and get some issues ironed out. Maybe a closed-door team meeting and all that. Other teams do it. Other players gripe in the media. And get over it. And move on. There are ways this could be handled and not end up being a problem at all. At least try to build on it, turn it into a turning point, if possible.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Cammy was frustrated and blew his cork. He's sucked this year and he said the wrong thing at the wrong time. He's obviously not getting the same icetime and he just got booed off the ice.

I'm fine with trading him but we shouldn't dump him for nothing. He's still a great player and we'd be stupid to just let him walk for garbage. If he stays here? Fine. Next year will be a new year with (probably) a new GM. This will blow over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The NTC won't be a problem. The salary might be depending on the teams that would be interested.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:09 AM
llamateizer

Go to disney land!

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:15 AM
GordonGraham

Put him in the press box for tonights game

If the team had decent leadership the players would kick him out of the room today when they get to the venue.

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

I wish he gets traded right away so that we get crap in return and this team keep on losing. And then more trades and then more losing. More "scandals" and drama and more newpapers sold and more listeners and viewers, more angry ("passionated") fans --> $$$ for the media companies.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Dunno if it really shows "who he is & how he thinks"... I mean, he was frustrated in the wake of a game where the fans got on him, the team lost, he screwed up on a goal, he had low minutes, etc. It was about the perfect time to get a comment steeped in heat-of-the-moment frustration out of him. It doesn't mean he is always thinking that way.

I hope Cunneyworth is a good communicator. I'm not sure our previous two coaches were or that our GM is. Clearly MC needs a sit-down and get some issues ironed out. Maybe a closed-door team meeting and all that. Other teams do it. Other players gripe in the media. And get over it. And move on. There are ways this could be handled and not end up being a problem at all. At least try to build on it, turn it into a turning point, if possible.
thing is that the comments came a day later, and came from a guy who is well known to be very media saavy.

I'd buy that argument if his comments had come immediately after the game, but 24 hours later, from a guy as smart and with as much experience as Cammalleri has... not so much.

more likely is that he got an earful at practice, was still bitter about it afterwards, and decided "**** it".

the comment about the video (which Gorges commented on, in a very positive light about RC, and that RC uses regularly at practice to teach/communicate exactly what he wants), was a clear "not-so-subtle" shot at the coach... not the kind of crafted/thought out criticism that is likely to come simply "off the cuff" out of anger... and heck, Cammy even followed it up by telling us that we can "read btw the lines".

he's unhappy, and defiant, and wants the world to know... that kind of attitude is a lot more common than the average sports fan might realize among elite competitors, and as I've been repeating, unless it's coming from a guy who consistently backs up his talk with performance (and even then, it's not a great attribute), it's a great sign that you have yourself an athlete you'd be better off without.

your absolutely right that players do spout out, and that closed door meetings can work the problem out... thing is, they've been having those meetings, and he's just getting more petulant about the situation.

take A.Kost, for example... vocally unhappy with JM, yet came into camp/the season and went about doing his job. you can be unhappy and still make the best of it, and that's the kind of players an organization needs to build around.

a 6M$ player (who is your second highest paid athlete), who can't perform and can't keep his mouth shut and do his job... don't need him.