HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ranger Fan Assaulted in Philly (UPDATE: ARREST MADE)

Old
01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Ranger Fan Assaulted in Philly (UPDATE: ARREST MADE)

I know that I couldn't be the only one who was disgusted when hearing about what happened down in Philly to Neal Auricchio Jr, at Geno's after the Winter Classic.

While looking up his name via Google: this link posted for a Baby Registry:

http://www.amazingregistry.com/baby-...s=showRegistry

Anyone have any idea on a way to confirm if this is him, cause If so I would love purchase something off the list and send it to him, as both a thank you from your country and get better soon on behalf of ranger fans.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who would be interested in doing something like this.

* Seems for the most part if you would like to show your support, that the Registry is indeed his, and gifts can be sent with confidence. Lets see if we can wipe out all the gifts still on the list, and support our fellow Ranger Fan!

Still lots of stuff on the registry for anyone who wants to help.... lets help ease the pain of the medical bills

Last edited by jskramer83: 01-05-2012 at 10:07 PM.
jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Garden Geezer

vCash: 500
Very sad, and COWARDLY. Seems like these kinds of incidents are ramping up all over the country, in all the big 4 sports. If you wear away colors as a visitor, you're taking your life into your own hands, This is worse than soccer hooligans, who at least have the "good sense" to give a quick shot upside the head and keep running. Seems like here in the States, the attackers want you dead.

Garden Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Geezer View Post
Very sad, and COWARDLY. Seems like these kinds of incidents are ramping up all over the country, in all the big 4 sports. If you wear away colors as a visitor, you're taking your life into your own hands, This is worse than soccer hooligans, who at least have the "good sense" to give a quick shot upside the head and keep running. Seems like here in the States, the attackers want you dead.
it depends on where. ive gone to countless thrasher games with Rangers gear on, ive met some of my closest friends there. truthfully, ppl down south are a LOT friendlier than up north.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Probably him, as that registry has the location as Westfield and he works in Woodbridge, which isn't that far away.

Sad that he just had a kid too :/

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
it depends on where. ive gone to countless thrasher games with Rangers gear on, ive met some of my closest friends there. truthfully, ppl down south are a LOT friendlier than up north.
Ditto and I agree.

I knew we were okay when my 4 year old was chirping back to a Thrasher fan and he was laughing.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:12 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

He lives in Westfield? I wonder how close he is to me.

Has there been any word on how he is doing?

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:27 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
My hatred for Philadelphia has grown ten fold. Only in Philadelphia they'd beat up a cop/purple heart war veteran.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
My hatred for Philadelphia has grown ten fold. Only in Philadelphia they'd beat up a cop/purple heart war veteran.
Eh, I could see this kind of incident happening anywhere. Every fan base has their group of idiots.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

NJ woodbridge police officer, and Purple Heart recipient, attacked for having a Rangers jersey on.

I'm actually depressed by this.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 489
What was the extent of his injuries?

Muh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
You say that like he was in uniform or that he was boasting that he was a Marine/Cop prior to the incident.

I'm disgusted by this event as much as you all are, but seriously...

Zuccarello Awesome said it best in the other thread..."It's dumb comments like these that actually breed the type of angst and resentment that lead to these ridiculous incidents."

Regardless, Philly police are interviewing the dope from Facebook so hopefully they get a solid lead and bring these ***holes to justice.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
What was the extent of his injuries?
Concussion, bruises, and I believe he required stitches too (which according to one report raises the charges from "assault" to "aggravated assault").

Old
01-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

This kind of thing can and unfortunately does happen just about anywhere, but with the reputation The Flyers and their fans have it's not surprising that people are rapid to lump all Flyers fans in with the cretins responsible for this

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:54 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

I hope Woodbridge PD finds the guys first, bring in some of the guys Military buddies and then tune these fools up.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Pizza

I don't want to turn this into a crap fest. But in an effort to approach this honestly I'll copy my post in the other thread.

"Pretty much every fan base has these type of hooligans. I've seen this or some version of it at sporting events across the USA. It's scary as hell when it happens because of the pack mentality that comes with it. These morons ruin it for everybody. I hope all those responsible spend some time in close proximity to folks who will show them exactly how tough they are.

I've made no secret of how much I hate the Flyers and I do not want to single out a fan base here or come off as xenophobic or something,,,BUT the Flyers and their fans are in a bit of an awkward position, IMO.

I want to state this position as carefully and as well thought out as I can. I've been to Philly on a number of occasions, though not to any sporting events. Let me state unequivocally that I love the place. You can not be passionate about, art, culture, food or history and not be in love with the city of Philadelphia and it's people. Great people. Friendly people. I digress. Back to the "BUT".

The "awkward" position I referenced above is as follows: In the early '70's the Flyers set about changing the face of hockey. They succeeded, and the Broad Street Bullies are now a legend and a Philadelphia legacy. Sadly, too many Flyer fans still feel an obligation to live up to that tradition. The situation is made more difficult and awkward by the continued celebration of the Bullies tradition as exemplified most recently in the presentation at The Winter Classic. Bill Clement, gleefully and gloatingly reminiscing about the Bullies and how and why they were "hated" detracts from the Flyers championship accomplishments. The fact is that the Flyers of that era were a bunch of reckless brawlers, who all too often targeted players who were defenseless. Schultz v Rolf is a good example. Often a Flyer would throw a sucker punch tucked safely behind a referee or with a team mate bear hugging a scrum opponent or worse yet, continue pummeling an opponent far beyond the matter being in doubt. They were a dirty and cowardly hockey team who are the standard bearers of an ugly tradition. Too many Flyers fans still wallow in that tradition. It's not a tradition to be proud of. A cross to bear, IMO."

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Probably him, as that registry has the location as Westfield and he works in Woodbridge, which isn't that far away.

Sad that he just had a kid too :/
well lets hope you are right, just purchased a couple of items from the registry, and it sends it directly to the person's address. (does not give it though)

hopefully it is him, otherwise someone is going to be very surprised when they get a whole bunch bunch of baby supplies saying "from us ranger fans, congrats and get better soon"

i'd encourage anyone else looking to show support for a fellow ranger fan to do the same.

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:07 PM
NYRandazzo

This makes me sick. I hope these $c[_]mbags are brought to justice and have the **** kicked out of them by the arresting officers.

All for helping this guy out.

NYRandazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I don't want to turn this into a crap fest. But in an effort to approach this honestly I'll copy my post in the other thread.

"Pretty much every fan base has these type of hooligans. I've seen this or some version of it at sporting events across the USA. It's scary as hell when it happens because of the pack mentality that comes with it. These morons ruin it for everybody. I hope all those responsible spend some time in close proximity to folks who will show them exactly how tough they are.

I've made no secret of how much I hate the Flyers and I do not want to single out a fan base here or come off as xenophobic or something,,,BUT the Flyers and their fans are in a bit of an awkward position, IMO.

I want to state this position as carefully and as well thought out as I can. I've been to Philly on a number of occasions, though not to any sporting events. Let me state unequivocally that I love the place. You can not be passionate about, art, culture, food or history and not be in love with the city of Philadelphia and it's people. Great people. Friendly people. I digress. Back to the "BUT".

The "awkward" position I referenced above is as follows: In the early '70's the Flyers set about changing the face of hockey. They succeeded, and the Broad Street Bullies are now a legend and a Philadelphia legacy. Sadly, too many Flyer fans still feel an obligation to live up to that tradition. The situation is made more difficult and awkward by the continued celebration of the Bullies tradition as exemplified most recently in the presentation at The Winter Classic. Bill Clement, gleefully and gloatingly reminiscing about the Bullies and how and why they were "hated" detracts from the Flyers championship accomplishments. The fact is that the Flyers of that era were a bunch of reckless brawlers, who all too often targeted players who were defenseless. Schultz v Rolf is a good example. Often a Flyer would throw a sucker punch tucked safely behind a referee or with a team mate bear hugging a scrum opponent or worse yet, continue pummeling an opponent far beyond the matter being in doubt. They were a dirty and cowardly hockey team who are the standard bearers of an ugly tradition. Too many Flyers fans still wallow in that tradition. It's not a tradition to be proud of. A cross to bear, IMO."
Well done, sir. Well done. I love how the " those weren't real Vancouver fans" or "those weren't real Flyer fans" come out from hiding once an incident like this happens. Yes, every city has some bad apples -- but never in a million years would a Rangers fan do what a flyer fan did after the classic. It's as rare as they come to see a Rangers fan assault another teams fan physically at a public place. Verbally? Maybe. But not physically to the extent these classless FLYER FANS went. They severely injured the guy and it's reported he may go into a coma.You can spin it any way you want, they were Flyer fans and it's not the first case and it won't be the last case concerning an incident in that region. You need to look at patterns instead of saying the easy "oh no that's not our real fans". The patterns clearly show the rate of such acts is significant in the "city of brotherly love" over other regions -- and it is Flyers fans that represent that team; do they not? You as a fan are responsible for your actions. What you do will reflect how people look at you, the teams jersey you wear, and fan base. Every city has them but if you follow the news even the slightest, if you follow data the slightest you wouldn't deny the fact that incidents like these happen in Philly more than other places. I go to public places that have their doors open to all walks of life, including fans of other teams. I've been to many and never have I seen a Ranger fan brutally assault and give someone a concussion. You see a lot of the verbal back and forth-- but nothing like we've seen constantly, heard on the news constantly, and reported by PD's constantly out of Philly. Again, spin it any way you want the DATA supports incidents like these happen much more in Philly than other places like NY. Concerning the stage this was and concerning the public attention it garnered ( the winter classic) I stand by my comment that the Flyers organization should apologize for what their fans did in front of Genos steaks. The individual who is in the hospital; if he indeed does have a fractured skull may never be the same again. If you let something slide it's going happens over and over again. Then you come out pulling the same "those aren't the real flyer fans" ****. If someone wearing a Rangers jersey and attending a Rangers game did something like that, I'd feel embarrassed I wouldn't go around giving excuses.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Is it comfirmed that the link is for the right guy's baby registry?

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Having lived in Philly, I never wore another team's jersey simply out of fear. I've seen people attacked there before for that on the street (West Philly represent). I love the city, but it's not a safe city in the first place. That's probably the main reason. A dangerous city + known rough history = not a good idea to wear your jersey outside the stadium. Put it in your car and walk around without it. Why risk injury?

And for the record, I LOVE Philly. Give me Philly over NYC any day. But a lot of their fans take their sports way, way too seriously. To the point where you can get severely injured.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:21 PM
NYROrtsFan

It's confusing to me that we have documented incident after incident of Philadelphia fans doing this stuff yet some people claim that it's the same everywhere... While it does happen at other locations and by other fans, it's simply not the same.

Whether it's the Eagles, Phillies, or Flyers, it's all the same.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Having lived in Philly, I never wore another team's jersey simply out of fear. I've seen people attacked there before for that on the street (West Philly represent). I love the city, but it's not a safe city in the first place. That's probably the main reason. A dangerous city + known rough history = not a good idea to wear your jersey outside the stadium. Put it in your car and walk around without it. Why risk injury?

And for the record, I LOVE Philly. Give me Philly over NYC any day. But a lot of their fans take their sports way, way too seriously. To the point where you can get severely injured.
Ottawa toasts them both, but that's an OT point.

There is a problem with society when a guy is attacked over a sporting event. A Regular season sporting event.

01-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Well done, sir. Well done. I love how the " those weren't real Vancouver fans" or "those weren't real Flyer fans" come out from hiding once an incident like this happens.
Ahh yes, the 'No True Scotsman' argument.

Occidentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:23 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Well done, sir. Well done. I love how the " those weren't real Vancouver fans" or "those weren't real Flyer fans" come out from hiding once an incident like this happens. Yes, every city has some bad apples -- but never in a million years would a Rangers fan do what a flyer fan did after the classic. It's as rare as they come to see a Rangers fan assault another teams fan physically at a public place. Verbally? Maybe. But not physically to the extent these classless FLYER FANS went. They severely injured the guy and it's reported he may go into a coma.You can spin it any way you want, they were Flyer fans and it's not the first case and it won't be the last case concerning an incident in that region. You need to look at patterns instead of saying the easy "oh no that's not our real fans". The patterns clearly show the rate of such acts is significant in the "city of brotherly love" over other regions -- and it is Flyers fans that represent that team; do they not? You as a fan are responsible for your actions. What you do will reflect how people look at you, the teams jersey you wear, and fan base. Every city has them but if you follow the news even the slightest, if you follow data the slightest you wouldn't deny the fact that incidents like these happen in Philly more than other places. I go to public places that have their doors open to all walks of life, including fans of other teams. I've been to many and never have I seen a Ranger fan brutally assault and give someone a concussion. You see a lot of the verbal back and forth-- but nothing like we've seen constantly, heard on the news constantly, and reported by PD's constantly out of Philly. Again, spin it any way you want the DATA supports incidents like these happen much more in Philly than other places like NY. Concerning the stage this was and concerning the public attention it garnered ( the winter classic) I stand by my comment that the Flyers organization should apologize for what their fans did in front of Genos steaks. The individual who is in the hospital; if he indeed does have a fractured skull may never be the same again. If you let something slide it's going happens over and over again. Then you come out pulling the same "those aren't the real flyer fans" ****. If someone wearing a Rangers jersey and attending a Rangers game did something like that, I'd feel embarrassed I wouldn't go around giving excuses.
So to sum up your point: I'm an ***hole because my fanbase happens to have some complete dip****s among us.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Ottawa toasts them both, but that's an OT point.

There is a problem with society when a guy is attacked over a sporting event. A Regular season sporting event.
And it's a MAJOR problem in Philadelphia (and places like Los Angeles, etc.). An already terrible city with a reputation for violence. The Flyers organization should absolutely do something here for the guy's family or something.

Gotta show some support and show that while some of your fans might be animals, you are not.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote