HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Black 'dumbfounded' by opinion that franchise isn't better off now than last Feb

Old
01-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Clock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Since when does fair criticism of the owner equate to being spoiled or entitled?

Now I'm gonna go watch Ruff eff up practice... again.
A lot of the criticism I've seen aimed at Pegula has been anything but fair.

And good call Corto, changed.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Disenfranchised*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
A lot of the criticism I've seen aimed at Pegula has been anything but fair.

And good call Corto, changed.
Really? Grow up and stop worshiping the man. This little haze the fans have been in regarding Pegula will and has to end. Be objective and stop chastising anyone who has a differing opinion regarding Pegula.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

My owner writes checks. He pays me to do my job. If I don't, that's on me, not on him.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
Really? Grow up and stop worshiping the man. This little haze the fans have been in regarding Pegula will and has to end. Be objective and stop chastising anyone who has a differing opinion regarding Pegula.
Really? Grow up and stop denigrating the man. This little haze you're in regarding Pegula will and has to end. Be objective and stop chastising anyone who has a differing opinion regarding Pegula.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:25 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

It's been less than a full year since he took over the team. If after the season we still don't look competitive and no changes have been made I'll start to question and be suspicious, but he hasn't given Darcy/Lindy a single full season to see how everything shakes out.

I'm of the opinion that we probably do need to replace our coach and GM but I'd rather it happen in the offseason.

The organization is much better off with an owner willing to spend and who cares than somebody who just wanted to keep it in the black.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Clock

Quote:
Yes, really.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Asking for fair criticism is worshipping Pegula?

Seriously?

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
This is an assumption - one that I don't necessarily disagree with, but an assumption none the less.

Objectively, we can say that the franchise has more resources at it's disposal. But what we don't know is how willing the new owner is to make changes when necessary. Changes to the "core", changes behind the bench, changes in the front office - I think everyone agrees that changes need to be made in at least one of those areas, but we don't have enough of a track record to know whether Pegula is of the same mind, and willing to do what's necessary.

We also don't know to what degree Terry is involved in making decisions that would typically be the responsibility of the GM. Picking a coach? He already came out and told the press that Lindy was here to stay. Not that I think Regier was looking to can Ruff, but that sure looks like an example of Pegula pulling rank on Regier to me. They've also said that Pegula and Black will be involved in all the major player decisions, and we've already seen them go out and personally recruit players to come here - without Regier.

So while I think the Quinn/Golisano situation was antithetical to winning a Cup, I honestly don't think we have enough of a track records yet to say if or by how much the franchise is improved with a deep-pocketed owner willing to spend big $$$. Subjectively, I think we almost certainly are better off now and going in to the future, even if the short term situation looks pretty dismal. But big money can make big, costly mistakes, especially in a salary-capped league. Buyouts and waivers still usually count against the cap - even if it's only a fraction of the original cap hit.
We're comparing right now, this second, to last February. What happens in the future is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is, it remains to be seen whether Pegula will be willing to make big changes, but it was proven that Quinn/Golisano were not. So that in itself is an improvement that atleast it's a possibillity. Add in the fact that we have an owner that actually cares about this franchise, lives and breathes with the team, reaches out to fans, and has deep pockets to make things happen. NONE of these things were present last February.

I don't see how you could possibly construct an argument to say we are not better off than last season. On the ice, we are pretty much dead even as far as results. Off the ice, we are miles and miles ahead.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I think whenever you portray those pesky standings as a "separate issue" when evaluating a team, you're in trouble.

Terry can get away with being the great owner of a mediocre hockey team for a while. Time will soon run out on that.

It's almost like people are arguing that all the moves Terry made were for the purpose of establishing a footprint with no eye toward actually making the team better in the short run. Maybe that's it. Maybe they signed those players just to make a statement.
We're evaluating the organization here, not the players on the ice.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Hal2000

Quote:
woahhhhhhhhhhh

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1056
Pegula and Black must feel like they have a car full of kids asking every 5 minutes "are we there yet?". He hasn't even owned the team for a year.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:08 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Pegula and Black must feel like they have a car full of kids asking every 5 minutes "are we there yet?". He hasn't even owned the team for a year.
Something like that.

How many people would rather have Golisano or Rigas back or have Balsillie owning the team today?

Old
01-12-2012, 01:21 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

If today BUF had:

10 more points in the standings (5 more wins) and we're probably not having this thread.

15 more points in the standings and were almost assuredly not having this thread.

20 more points in the standings, Sabres fans expecting newborn babies would be trying to decide between Darcy, Lindy, Terry, Robin, and Christian for baby names.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:29 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
If today BUF had:

10 more points in the standings (5 more wins) and we're probably not having this thread.

15 more points in the standings and were almost assuredly not having this thread.

20 more points in the standings, Sabres fans expecting newborn babies would be trying to decide between Darcy, Lindy, Terry, Robin, and Christian for baby names.
But they don't and all the fans get in return are a bunch of injury excuses.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
If today BUF had:

I doubt it.

Too many people hate the Rochester Core and the general makeup of the roster and have grown tired of Regier and/or Ruff.

I bet we don't have this thread if they had let Regier and Ruff go, publicly stated that they were going to start a rebuilding process with a new GM & coach, they moved out a huge portion of the Rochester Core, and the team has the same record right now.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:49 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I doubt it.

Too many people hate the Rochester Core and the general makeup of the roster and have grown tired of Regier and/or Ruff.

I bet we don't have this thread if they had let Regier and Ruff go, publicly stated that they were going to start a rebuilding process with a new GM & coach, they moved out a huge portion of the Rochester Core, and the team has the same record right now.
I agree with your last paragraph.

I disagree with the first two. IMO, if BUF was a couple points back of Boston right now (15 points more than current), within striking distance of the division lead, with Darcy's Rochester Core coached by Ruff & wearing the letters on the sweaters, we'd be talking about BUF's legit shot at going more than 1 round deep in the playoffs.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:00 PM
MyersMagic57*

I don't understand why people are blaming everything besides the most obvious thing to blame, THE PLAYERS. Is Pegula on the ice night after night? No. How is this the ownerships fault? It's not. They have given us a chance to do well and the team hasn't performed.

Everyone was loving the moves in the summer because at the time they seemed good. Obviously our ownership can't look into the future so they aren't going to know how well a person is going to do on a team so how is it their fault that their acquisitions are not performing.

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM
BuzzKillington90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Alright. I'm going to bite on this, and all the other assinine illogical comments people have made. I'm going to dumb things down and hopefully get through to people...though I'm not counting on it.

3 Top *****es:

Where Pegula spent his money: He writes the checks, he helps coerce people that his GM chose to come to Buffalo. He has invested what has to be around 10 million in the arena alone PLUS what he spent for players to come here. 2/3 players we got are living up to expectations, this is more then previous ownership ever did. Oh, and btw...he doesn't choose the players.

Pegula should blow everything up and he's worthless for not doing so: Ok, so...I'm gonna take over a business, but I'm not going to evaluate anything or anyone whose been with the organization long enough to know the ins and outs thus keeping things moving smoothly...I'm going to blow everything up and possibly make things worse.

Let me make this clear: Businessmen. Do. Not. Do. This.

Injuries: This is a VALID excuse for a team to struggle. Especially with how many we've had. I agree that the "core" veterans need to step up, which for the most part except Vanek and Pomminville, they haven't.

But that leads to another point...for all the kneejerk reactioners out there who want us to trade Roy/Stafford...Whats their value? They are slumping. We will not get what they are worth, and may as a whole hurt the organization for doing so. "But they are in need of a shakeup" No, according to you they are in need of making a trade to make a trade which is NEVER a good way to run a team.

Plain and simple the buffalo fanbase is frustrated after so many years and set unreasonable expectations. Now that those are not being met, they wanna throw the owner under the bus for not changing everything, again a worse option then what happened.

I will take this year as a bottom dweller if the following years we are a perennial contender. Everyone who is unreasonably "demanding results now" either needs to get a clue or stop and think for a while. If this team after this year remains in the "status quo" area I will start to question things. I'm not infatuated with Terry Pegula, I appreciate what he's done...But I will defend a man whose done absolutely nothing wrong except not cater to the fanbase wanting the heads of the GM/Coach.

BuzzKillington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Hmm..so "objective" is blaming Pegula for re-signing Stafford and believing "lies" that Leino told him about wanting to play center. Sounds like good, hard objective reasoning. Well done

Old
01-12-2012, 02:12 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
"Dumbfounded" smacks a little of derision to me. Is it that difficult to see why the rabble is annoyed, Ted? Not that I agree with their assessment.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

That's it? A snippet of a quote and we are going to pass judgement on this guy?

And the quote isn't bad, it's correct. The franchise IS better off. Mr. Pegula brought in ex-Penguin tank era experts to right the ship. IN late June, during their first round draft announcement, you will get where he's coming from. Patience...

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:31 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I agree with your last paragraph.

I disagree with the first two. IMO, if BUF was a couple points back of Boston right now (15 points more than current), within striking distance of the division lead, with Darcy's Rochester Core coached by Ruff & wearing the letters on the sweaters, we'd be talking about BUF's legit shot at going more than 1 round deep in the playoffs.
There were plenty of people that weren't buying in mid-November when the Sabres were 2nd in the conference.

Just check this thread out.

Last edited by WhoIsJimBob: 01-12-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old
01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Does anyone think that if they didn't sign Leino, and just signed the Defencemen they did. Let the offence continue there run from last yr. Then there would of been no chemistry issues we would be hearing about? Every one would have known who they were playing with on offence then. I believe this was a descision made by Darcy and Lindy. They have been in the league for so long they should of atleast seen the bad side of this. I think the worse was far more probable and we are seeing that now. Seriously the center was not there we needed and if they needed to revaluate they should of did that with the same offence they had last yr. Then waited for next yr. to pull the trigger on a center. Just my opinion.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Does anyone think that if they didn't sign Leino, and just signed the Defencemen they did. Let the offence continue there run from last yr. Then there would of been no chemistry issues believe we would be earing about. Every one would have known who they were playing with on offence then. I believe this was a descision made by Darcy and Lindy. They have been in the league for so long they should of atleast seen the bad side of this. I think the worse was far more probable and we are seeing that now. Seriously the center was not there we needed and if they needed to revaluate they should of did that with the same offence they had last yr. Then waited for next yr. to pull the trigger on a center. Just my opinion.
The Leino deal was a mistake, because it seemed like they just wanted everybody to know that they had resources now, and it wasn't about the hockey. They said he would be the answer at center, and they were very wrong about that.

The Sabres can't make any more hockey-2nd moves. They need to stay focused with the on ice product. Do that, and everything else will fall into place.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:40 PM
killface

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Could you find a quote or something where someone within the organization says injuries are the sole root cause of all their problems? Because every mention I've seen of it has been them saying it was merely a factor in their situation, which it is. I haven't seen anyone say "we're losing because of our injuries", or use it as an excuse.

killface is offline   Reply With Quote