HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Should Fighting Be Abolished?

Old
01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Hawkman

vCash: 500
Should Fighting Be Abolished?

By Greg Wyshynski "The last week has been a useful snapshot of the muddled fighting debate in the National Hockey League.

Progressive hockey veteran Jimmy Devellano of the Detroit Red Wings wants to abolish it; fellow progressive hockey veteran Brian Bruke of the Toronto Maple Leafs thinks it's essential to the rat-proofing of the NHL.

Columnist Howard Herman wants it banned for the sake of player safety; John Scott of the Chicago Blackhawks wants more fights and the instigator rule dropped, because "it's increased the amount of dirty hits and dirty plays. It's taken out the honor and respect for the guys."

Meanwhile, in the Washington Capitals' victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday night, Matt Hendricks attempted to answer that timeless riddle of fighting's affect on a game's momentum: His fight win over Craig Adams was cited as a spark to his team in a frequently tedious 1-0 win. "When Hendy makes that good fight for us it just pumps the guys up," said Jason Chimera, who scored the game's lone goal after Hendricks' fight.

The debate rages about fighting in hockey, but here are the facts: It's down this season." By Greg Wyshynski

Last edited by Hawkman: 01-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Staged fights that happen just so the two players involved could duke it out without any real reason got to go, but fights that happen during the heat of the moment should stay as the part of the game IMHO.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Alan Jackson

I know this will come as a shock to some, but fighting is already illegal in the NHL.

Is fighting "banned" in the NFL, NBA, or baseball? Because you still see the occasional fight in those sports.

You can talk about stiffer penalties for fighting if you like, but it bothers me when people suggest fighting should be "banned". It is.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
All fighting should remain in the game, staged fights are used to energize the team early in a game. I do believe fighters need to be OK hockey players however. This hired goon stuff will only cost your team goals.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Illinihockey

Hockey is entertainment, fighting is entertaining, why take it out?

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Trevor Gillies should be abolished.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I know this will come as a shock to some, but fighting is already illegal in the NHL.
Shhhh, you're ruining the debate!

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:06 AM
BubbaBoot

You can add Boston Globe columnist, (and HF Bruins board's Hub of Hockey), Kevin Paul Dupont to those who want to see fighting stopped. Had a big column about it this past summer, saying his viewpont has switched, for the safety of the players.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-06-0...ey-renaissance

For me personally, it is a necessary evil that serves a purpose.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:07 AM
topliner967

Link for anyone who prefers to read it on the actual site, with the projection numbers from hockeyfights etc.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...150335981.html

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
SilverRiver89

Seems like it might be being phased out naturally anyway if the trend continues (but it's only been a few years since a big jump, so maybe it doesn't mean anything at all).

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:

Is fighting "banned" in the NFL, NBA, or baseball? Because you still see the occasional fight in those sports.

You can talk about stiffer penalties for fighting if you like, but it bothers me when people suggest fighting should be "banned". It is.
I always heard the phrase "hockey is the only sport with fighting in the rules." Whether it's true or not I don't know, but it makes sense. I would imagine if you squared off with another guy and exchanged punches in the NBA/NFL/MLB/MLS you're going to be ejected, fined, perhaps suspended. You do the same in the NHL and you get a 5 minute break and you're allowed right back in

I for one would be pro-remove the instigator penalty, but I know it's a pipe dream.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O View Post
Meanwhile, in the Washington Capitals' victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday night, Matt Hendricks attempted to answer that timeless riddle of fighting's affect on a game's momentum: His fight win over Craig Adams was cited as a spark to his team in a frequently tedious 1-0 win.
strange this. the nbc broadcast crew suggested that the fight might have sparked the penguins.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

Heat of the moment fighting should stay. Staged bouts off the faceoff between talentless goons should be abolished.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:34 AM
txpd

Quote:

also this is interesting. during that hendricks v adams fight last night doc emrick said, "fighting is tolerated in the national league of hockey".

as with most things in hockey the difference between legal, tolerated and banned is relative.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:36 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claimed Off Waivers View Post
Heat of the moment fighting should stay. Staged bouts off the faceoff between talentless goons should be abolished.
one more. the hendricks v adams fight was neither two talentless goons nor was it heat of the moment. it was tactical to gain an edge in the game. for both fighters it had more to do with the players on their own bench than the guy they were fighting.

most nhl fights are all about this.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:39 AM
dronald

Listen to the crowd during a fight and see what they think.

dronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Nope.

01-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronald View Post
People will cheer a fight in the waiting room of an orphanage. I guess that means it should be allowed.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:48 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronald View Post
well....its the same sound they make during the shootout.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:53 AM
TCL40

I am more in Burke's corner. I am not a huge fan of staged fights (although some of the bouts can be very good fights) but I admit I love the spontaneous ones that sprout up when one player does something to another and they fight.

However I would like to see teams move away from having the guy who is on the roster simply to fight. I like players more like Shawn Thornton (energy line guy) or Lucic (1st line power forward) who can play hockey and who aren't a detriment to their team when they are on the ice while not fighting.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:56 AM
3Four3

None of these "I'm going to land a blow and then go for the takedown." No grabbing on jerseys. Just fists to the face.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:56 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

saw my first live NHL this past sunday. it was right in front of me. it wasnt a huge fight, but it was still awesome

Canada loves fighting. Why do you htink the UFC does so well here?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Canada loves fighting. Why do you htink the UFC does so well here?
Not really saying much.

If Lucian Bute suffers a few defeats, will Canada all of a sudden think of boxing as an afterthought, again?

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Antsman41
Quack, Quack, Quack!

Why abolish fighting and turn hockey into a sally sport like baseball and basketball? More bs would end up happening in the long run then. Look at football, if they could fight... these qbs wouldn't be getting hit late.

Yes, they're dumb "staged" fights once in a while, but 75% of the time it's because they are pissed off and are angry.

Antsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsman41 View Post
Why abolish fighting and turn hockey into a sally sport like baseball and basketball? More bs would end up happening in the long run then. Look at football, if they could fight... these qbs wouldn't be getting hit late.

Yes, they're dumb "staged" fights once in a while, but 75% of the time it's because they are pissed off and are angry.
nobody wants to talk about this. the defensive fight, standing up for a teammate, is one fight in 10 in the nhl at best. most fights are offensive. they are about gaining an upper hand in the game like the fight last night in the pens/caps game. it was early in the game when there had been no dirty play and a mild body check between the two.
it was about creating some energy on the bench.

this is the real question for me about fighting in the game. its not the necessary fighting its the overuse of fighting for other things. the idea that removing the instigator would cut back on cheap shots doesnt ever consider the fighting that would open the door for cheap shots and open the door for all kinds of additional fighting that has nothing to do with deterring or paying off a cheap shot.