HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Plekanec?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
  #1
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Would you trade Plekanec?

We all know this team needs a rebuild, badly. Would you trade Plekanec if he could get a Richards like return?

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:00 AM
  #2
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
No, unless we've drafted Mikhail Grigorenko.

We're not in the same situation than Philly.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:01 AM
  #3
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,657
vCash: 500
We SHOULD trade him if we can get a good return.

This was all posted in the 'we should be sellers' thread though.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
  #4
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio
 
subbanged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Firstly Plekanec wouldn't fetch a richards like return of simmonds and schenn, Plekanec would fetch something more along the lines of just Schenn.

Secondly, yes I would, I know im going to get flamed but the fact of the matter is this team is minimum two to three years away from competing again. At that point Plekanec's best years will be behind him and will still be trying to peg him into the first line center role.

I say yes, but with Gionta done now I'm not really sure what to think of this season anymore.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that Plekanec has a no trade clause if I remember correctly.

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:10 AM
  #5
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
We all know this team needs a rebuild, badly. Would you trade Plekanec if he could get a Richards like return?
I don't see the point of doing that, unless you think Desharnais or Eller are ready to be #1 guys or Gomez makes some kind of miraculous return

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
  #6
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
Trade Plekanec and you're committing yourself to a full on, Edmonton style scorched earth rebuild.

Whether or not that is a good thing to do is up for debate but people should good into these things with both eyes open. Your committing to throwing away at least 2-3 seasons (sometimes much more like 5-6) with no guarantees that you'll be a better team on the other side of it.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:14 AM
  #7
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Firstly Plekanec wouldn't fetch a richards like return of simmonds and schenn, Plekanec would fetch something more along the lines of just Schenn.

Secondly, yes I would, I know im going to get flamed but the fact of the matter is this team is minimum two to three years away from competing again. At that point Plekanec's best years will be behind him and will still be trying to peg him into the first line center role.

I say yes, but with Gionta done now I'm not really sure what to think of this season anymore.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that Plekanec has a no trade clause if I remember correctly.
Why would we be 2-3 years from competing?

We have a better team on paper thn last year and the one before but a lot of small things have gone wrong which has derailed the season. I definitely think the odds of resurecting this year are pretty slim, but when you start throwing the towel on 2012-13 and 2013-14 you risk going in the basement and staying there Columbus style.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:16 AM
  #8
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't see the point of doing that, unless you think Desharnais or Eller are ready to be #1 guys or Gomez makes some kind of miraculous return
Usually, when you're a re-building team you give your younger players more ice time.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:17 AM
  #9
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Trade Plekanec and you're committing yourself to a full on, Edmonton style scorched earth rebuild.
I don't think so. We have great young players that Edmonton didn't have. They were basically starting from zero. Subban, Max, Price... that's a nice trio right there nevermind our other prospects.

We'll sink in the standings sure, but so what? I'd rather we spend a couple of years doing an actual rebuild and get it over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Whether or not that is a good thing to do is up for debate but people should good into these things with both eyes open. Your committing to throwing away at least 2-3 seasons (sometimes much more like 5-6) with no guarantees that you'll be a better team on the other side of it.
What guarantee do we have to make the playoffs even if we keep Pleks? Every year we barely make it in.

As for getting top picks, we'd have to really screw things up royally not to come out better on the other side if we had 2 or 3 (let alone 5 or 6) years of top picks. Unlike the expansion clubs we have amazing scouting and in 2 or 3 years guys like Subban will be much, much better than they are now. There's no reason to believe that it wouldn't work.

Moreover, there's no guarantee that we make the playoffs for the next year or two WITH Pleks anyway...

If you want guarantees, go talk with the tax man because they don't exist in hockey. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use common sense and rebuild this club.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:18 AM
  #10
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,919
vCash: 500
He is among the top players I would trade.....big time I would!

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
  #11
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,638
vCash: 500
Tough call. My immediate reaction is no, but if you can get a a return similar to Voracek and a top 10 pick, then sure. However, I doubt Plekanec gets that type of return and that is the type of move to be made more near the draft imo.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:22 AM
  #12
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,360
vCash: 500
Pleks isnt 1st line material so if we can get a top pick for him than yes. We have enough 2nd line centers.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:24 AM
  #13
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't think so. We have great young players that Edmonton didn't have. They were basically starting from zero. Subban, Max, Price... that's a nice trio right there nevermind our other prospects.

We'll sink in the standings sure, but so what? I'd rather we spend a couple of years doing an actual rebuild and get it over with.


What guarantee do we have to make the playoffs even if we keep Pleks? Every year we barely make it in.

As for getting top picks, we'd have to really screw things up royally not to come out better on the other side if we had 2 or 3 (let alone 5 or 6) years of top picks. Unlike the expansion clubs we have amazing scouting and in 2 or 3 years guys like Subban will be much, much better than they are now. There's no reason to believe that it wouldn't work.

Moreover, there's no guarantee that we make the playoffs for the next year or two WITH Pleks anyway...

If you want guarantees, go talk with the tax man because they don't exist in hockey. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use common sense and rebuild this club.
What guarantees do we have if we rebuild?

There are no guarantees that these top picks turn out to be stars.

There is no guarantee we even get a top pick, we could end up outside of the lottery.

There is the risk our young guys don't develop as well as they are in a losing environment and i'm sure the 21,000 people in the Bell Centre would love to pay to see this team losing every night.

This team doesn't need a total rebuild, keep veterans like Gorges, Cole and Plekanec and keep the young guys like Price, Eller, Subban, Max Pac then trade away the vets you're not going to re-sign (and higher paid veterans who aren't performing) and let some kids play and go from there. Plekanec doesn't have the value of a Richards and has more value to our team than on the trade market.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:24 AM
  #14
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
No, simply because he's extremely important to the PK. He's not lazy, terrible defensively and unidimensional like Cammy so he's still usefull even when in an offensive slump. He seems grumpy this year and, although this is only a hunch, I'm not sure how well he gets along with his teammates.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:26 AM
  #15
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,271
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Tough call. My immediate reaction is no, but if you can get a a return similar to Voracek and a top 10 pick, then sure. However, I doubt Plekanec gets that type of return and that is the type of move to be made more near the draft imo.
Exactly, I don't want Pleky traded but if you get what the Flyers got for Richards or Carter then you absolutely make that deal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM
  #16
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,290
vCash: 500
Only if the return is of the "offer we can't refuse" variety...

anything short of that would be stupid to consider.

Pleks, even if not scoring at the pace we'd like (and on this team, no one outside of Cole, or Moen, is), is still one of the top 10 defensive centres in the league, great on the PK, and producing even in an average year as an excellent 2nd C option.

that our other high paid assets are so underwhelming, thus putting more pressure (and more opposition focus) on him, shouldn't be held against him.

He's good value at 5M$. Loves playing in montreal. is a very good non-vocal leader.

the kind of player you keep while building a contender, unless the trade offer is too good to turn down.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
  #17
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,282
vCash: 500
For the fun of it, no... but if the offer is great or if we can package him for something better like Getzlaf or Staal, why not ?

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
  #18
snakeye
Registered User
 
snakeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,791
vCash: 500
He's the perfect 2nd line center. It would take a lot for me to trade him.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
  #19
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't see the point of doing that, unless you think Desharnais or Eller are ready to be #1 guys or Gomez makes some kind of miraculous return
The point is they aren't, so we get Grigorenko/Yakupov this year, and MacKinnon/Barkov/Drouin/Monahan the next year.

Lafleur's guy's ideas have been chipping away at me for a little while. Let me just say that I wouldn't be adverse to it.

Plekanec to Anaheim for Etem++

Cammalleri to a non playoff team for a first, and a prospect.

Draft Grigorenko with our pick, Gaunce/Girgensons/Zharkov/Faksa/Hertl with the other.

That is a tremendous shot in the arm to our prospect pool, and probably the strongest prospect pool from which to rebuild that we've seen in recent memory. If we blow goats again and get Barkov/MacKinnon, forget about it.


Last edited by NotProkofievian: 01-12-2012 at 11:47 AM.
NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:40 AM
  #20
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't think so. We have great young players that Edmonton didn't have. They were basically starting from zero. Subban, Max, Price... that's a nice trio right there nevermind our other prospects.

We'll sink in the standings sure, but so what? I'd rather we spend a couple of years doing an actual rebuild and get it over with.
Edmonton had some nice young pieces too, like Ales Hemsky. Joffery Lupul or Pitkanen, Stoll, Torres etc. Wasn't that big of an advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
What guarantee do we have to make the playoffs even if we keep Pleks? Every year we barely make it in.

As for getting top picks, we'd have to really screw things up royally not to come out better on the other side if we had 2 or 3 (let alone 5 or 6) years of top picks. Unlike the expansion clubs we have amazing scouting and in 2 or 3 years guys like Subban will be much, much better than they are now. There's no reason to believe that it wouldn't work.

Moreover, there's no guarantee that we make the playoffs for the next year or two WITH Pleks anyway...

If you want guarantees, go talk with the tax man because they don't exist in hockey. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use common sense and rebuild this club.
No guarentees anywhere sure. But getting a Chicago or a Pittsburgh isn't the only way this can play out. Especially since its hard to be sure ahead of time if your going to be at the very bottom or just mediocre unless you completely gut your teams ability to compete.

So by doing this your taking a certain major negative right up front for an imagined future positive. It might be necessary, it might not be. But forgive me if I'm less than enthralled by the prospect of years of losing hockey.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:42 AM
  #21
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,259
vCash: 500
F NO. His breed is very hard to find. If you MUST move him away from a first line role, fine, but keep him on the team.


It should also count when a guy genuinely cares for the organization and gives his 100% all the time and isn't *****ing and moaning about anything. He goes to work without complaining every day. Not so sure all these guys we would trade for would do the same. Character is another thing we cannot afford to lose/must acquire where it has gone missing in some.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
  #22
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,068
vCash: 500
He's been rather bad this year with all the ice time he's been handed. He needs to pick it up or he's trade bait.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
  #23
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He's been rather bad this year with all the ice time he's been handed. He needs to pick it up or he's trade bait.
I had posted an interesting stat the other day, no one picked it up, but I'll post it again.

I noticed that since the birth of his baby, Plekanec's game has been average, so I went to check out if it reflected in his stats.

His baby was born the 5th of december, prior to that date, Plekanec has 22 points in 27 games which is a .81 ppg pace.

Since december 5th Plekanec has 8 points in 16 games(only 2 are goals) which is a .5 ppg pace.

Take it for what it's worth, but my guess is that Plekanec has more important things on his mind that hockey right now,

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:55 AM
  #24
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Only if the return is of the "offer we can't refuse" variety...

anything short of that would be stupid to consider.

Pleks, even if not scoring at the pace we'd like (and on this team, no one outside of Cole, or Moen, is), is still one of the top 10 defensive centres in the league, great on the PK, and producing even in an average year as an excellent 2nd C option.

that our other high paid assets are so underwhelming, thus putting more pressure (and more opposition focus) on him, shouldn't be held against him.

He's good value at 5M$. Loves playing in montreal. is a very good non-vocal leader.

the kind of player you keep while building a contender, unless the trade offer is too good to turn down.
Agree with this. Trade has to make sense, but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:01 PM
  #25
xa123
Registered User
 
xa123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
F NO. His breed is very hard to find. If you MUST move him away from a first line role, fine, but keep him on the team.


It should also count when a guy genuinely cares for the organization and gives his 100% all the time and isn't *****ing and moaning about anything. He goes to work without complaining every day. Not so sure all these guys we would trade for would do the same. Character is another thing we cannot afford to lose/must acquire where it has gone missing in some.
This.


And we have to realize that chances are, Cammalleri, Gionta and Plekanec are all probably still going to be here next year and they can't have a worse season than this year.

xa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.