HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Continue here.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
03-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
If, at #2-3, we had to choose between Grigorenko and Galchenyuk, who do we pick?

Old
03-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

The more I look at this team, the more I feel our true need is on the wings, or even on defense, rather than center. Yes, we need a franchise center, but I'm not entirely convinced that Grigorenko or Galchenyuk can assume this role, since they both have a rather high bust possibility, due to different reasons.

Is spending a 3rd overall pick, as it stands, on Forsberg a smart move? I'm not completely sold on him either to be honest. Yakupov appears to be the only surefire superstar in this draft, and we only have a very slim chance at drafting him. So, what are the options left? A defenseman.

I wouldn't see it as a bad thing, honestly, especially if the consensus BPA is considered a defenseman on draft day.

We can't put too much faith on Markov, so we need to find a legit n.1, minute eater, franchise defenseman for the next decade if we want to have a successful franchise. Subban could definitely be that guy, he has the potential to be even more than that. We have very good prospects in the system as well. But adding to that a guy like Dumba or Murray could turn our "good" depth into something special, comparable to the Nashville model. Price would be stellar with an elite defense in front of him, and we can always find key pieces up front on the UFA market.

I personally think an elite winger would be the ideal situation, but beside Yakupov, there's no such elite winger in this draft. Grigorenko can play right wing, and that is definitely an interesting possibility, but I think it would be a waste to put him on the wings considering we've been looking for a big talented center for so long... But then, we would have 4 centers in the line-up able to play in a top 6 role, 3, if you consider Eller a bit too raw to assume 2nd line duties.

I'm really confused about this draft. We haven't have the opportunity to draft into the lottery for so long that I can barely figure out what I want. I'm like a kid in a candy store! That's why I'm glad we have Timmins. Whoever he picks, I'll give it a few years before criticizing. Remember 2005...

Old
03-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
The guy we feel that can become the best player for our team.

I prefer Galchenyuk but I would not be dissapointed with Grigorenko!

I also have never seen Forsberg play and his stats are quite average but if we feel he is the BPA and we go for him than I will still be happy!

Old
03-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
If, at #2-3, we had to choose between Grigorenko and Galchenyuk, who do we pick?
I like either one. I will let Timmins chose who would be better for us. Some say Galchenyuk is an intense gritty player with massive skills. He also has been injured all season, which cant be good for his development. Some say Grigo has sometimes a dissapearing quality yet he is really tall 6'3'' and will get larger with massive skills, Being compared to a poors man Malkin.

Grigo is said to have the build to start next season in the NHL.
Galchenyuk will probably not be ready to make the jump next year.

So, considering i havent seem them play that much, i will bet on Timmins drafting talent. Plus Radek Faksa is also a candidate to be top two in many draft analysis.

Either way, we really, really, really need to draft an elite #1 center with size. ANd those are hard to come by trade or free agency. Wingers you can get them thrue free agency. So it will go between these 3.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:14 AM
donghabs98

vCash: 335
Man this thread has been popular

Old
03-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
Man this thread has been popular
We've never been swimming in this part of the ocean.

Everything is shiny and brand new.

Old
03-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Awesome, awesome tank day. Woute!

Old
03-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Erik Estrada

My early concerns about Yakupov:
-He's a smallish player for no.1, so he needs to be extraordinary (Patrick Kane had much better numbers in his draft year... but he was playing with Gagner and SKost...)
-He plays an aggressive, dynamic style of play that makes him more prone to injuries or concussions.
-He's a winger (less important position, less thinking and responsibilities... is he that much superior to the top centers in the draft?)

Old
03-04-2012, 02:17 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Basically

Galchenyuk is a potential mix of a toews and a hossa

Grigorenko is a potential kix of a thornton and a spezza

I like both equally

Old
03-04-2012, 02:23 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
My early concerns about Yakupov:
-He's a smallish player for no.1, so he needs to be extraordinary (Patrick Kane had much better numbers in his draft year... but he was playing with Gagner and SKost...)
-He plays an aggressive, dynamic style of play that makes him more prone to injuries or concussions.
-He's a winger (less important position, less thinking and responsibilities... is he that much superior to the top centers in the draft?)
He's heads and tails above Pat Kane. It's not even close. He's a very special player, close to Bure territory, and you can quote me on this (but you won't have to) in 4 years.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
He's heads and tails above Pat Kane. It's not even close. He's a very special player, close to Bure territory, and you can quote me on this (but you won't have to) in 4 years.
Kane is soft and overrated.

If we don't win the lottery I believe that Forsberg will be Timmins pick. Grigorenko is a bum and Timmins won't want any part of Morozov v2.0 because he is just waaayyy too much of a gamble. Galchenyuk would be the ideal pick but his injury history will probably scare Timmins off.

Forsberg may not be the sexiest pick but he is the safest forward pick after Yakupov and that will probably be the determining factor. I believe that it will be between Forsberg and Trouba as Timmins isn't afraid to go with his BPA despite popular opinion.

Old
03-04-2012, 03:24 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
I'm not saying I disagree with you, but Patrick Kane is a hell of a player. Can you tell us why you think Nail is "heads and above Kane?"

Old
03-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Galchenyuk was supposed to see his doctors a few days back. Anyone know the verdict? Has he been cleared for play?

Old
03-04-2012, 07:14 AM
habshound247

If Ryan Murray is available it may be hard for Timmins to pass on him. A Top 2 pairing defenseman who has been compared to Niedermeyer. He would improve the overall defense and be someone who could quarterback the powerplay and penalty kill and insulate the team when/if Markov goes into decline, presuming he returns. It also could help alleviate some of the pressure on PK Subban.

Old
03-04-2012, 07:21 AM
BigHabs

For some reason I can just picture the last night Forsberg on a Habs jersey alot more than the other names. Something about it looks great. Also Grigorenko, wear #25 a favorite of mine, I think 25 on a Habs jersey is rocking as well. Staubitz wheres it now and I find its a good #.

I would also like Ryan Murray also, just don't know with the Habs defense already have some promising prospects.

Back to the main centers. I think each player will have their knocks on them.

Galchenyuk - injuries
Grigorenko - consistency, effort

I think the consistency factor can be worked on, I know Kostitsyn isn't the best example but his defensive game has improved greatly as it took time to work with him on it in Montreal.

Grigorenko if someone can stays on him to help keep him going it would be ideal. He can look to the likes of Malkin and think he could, "you can be as good as him", or "you can play lazy". I think if we get a coach that could use him and make him into a star player it would be worth it.

The Habs have to look more at what they bring to the table than just the knocks on them. They are ranked where they are ranked because they have more assets to offer than the average players. Galchenyuk's talent is there and he could and some say he should be ahead of Grigorenko but the injuries had played a factor in that.

You have to wonder in that situation, especially with the injury riddle season's the Habs have is it a gamble or can the guy stay healthy. If he does stay healthy you get the reward, if he doesn't you lose a key player. Habs are used to the latter on a yearly basis. One guy though would be Brett Connolly for Tampa. His status of where he would be picked was up in the air because of injuries. He slipped from top 5, to be taken at 6. He is a decent forward. A gamble some teams will take I guess.

I honestly think that we probably will never know until the player is picked.

Last edited by BigHabs: 03-04-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old
03-04-2012, 07:47 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
If Ryan Murray is available it may be hard for Timmins to pass on him. A Top 2 pairing defenseman who has been compared to Niedermeyer. He would improve the overall defense and be someone who could quarterback the powerplay and penalty kill and insulate the team when/if Markov goes into decline, presuming he returns. It also could help alleviate some of the pressure on PK Subban.
Murray is not as dynamic as Niedermayer.

I personally question how his offensive game will translate in the NHL.

I mean he'll score 30 pts. But I don't think he's gonna be remembered for his O zone, but rather his steadiness overall.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:22 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Don't we have a fourth round pick from Columbus from the wisnewski trade

Old
03-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Natural Habs Fan

I don't follow junior players personally so all I know is what I read in the rankings.

Grigorenko sounds like our man. The comparisons to Malkin (my favourite non-hab) are exciting.

If Cbus drafts first is there a chance they take him over Yakupov to play with Nash?

Old
03-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Xss

We had a fifth but they traded it to the flames in the cammalleri trade

Old
03-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
I haven't seen Galchenyuk ranked that high... right now some have him at 7 (McKenzie), 8 (RLR), 16 (ISS) and 6 (McKeen's). Maybe he climbs with a dynamite playoff run, but for now, it looks as though draft fans (especially on this board) are creating a myth out of early reports of potential and youtube highlights.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:39 AM
FrankMTL

It will definitely be Timmins biggest decision since he's been with the Habs...especially if he picks number 2. There will be about 5 players who could be picked in this slot including Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Murray and Dumba...

That's the frustrating part of this draft, is that while Grigorenko is seen as probably the second best prospect...there's no clear cut unanimous choice after Yakupov goes number 1. It'll be very interesting to read about these players leading up to the draft. If Galchenyuk goes on a big run when he comes back from his injury, expect him to get even more consideration for number 2.

I like Forsberg, but frustrating when you don't see a player at besides a few games at the WJC in which he didn't stand out all that much IMO. Also, you hear good things about his game, but he doesn't seem to be scoring much at any level, that's kind of worrying..

Obviously with that last few comment about Grigorenko's lack of "passion" it makes you think twice, but the guy still has 80 points including 38 goals in 53 games as a true 17 year old (May '94). You add his 6 foot 3 fame and 200 pound body to the equation, and he has the potential to become the big #1 center the habs have lacked since forever.

I'm a little less keen on the 2 defenceman...not because i think we're well stocked at that position, but because we're just lacking some high end offensive talent on both the big team and the farm (save for a few decent forwards).

Either way, whatever direction Timmins goes, I trust his instincts. He's also had a long time to evaluate the top players as we've know that habs were going to be a bottom team for the last couple of months more or less...

Old
03-04-2012, 08:47 AM
juve

What are the chances Columbus doesn't pick Yakupov or Grigorenko because they are scared of drafting Russians?

Old
03-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Right now, looking at the standings, we are almost sure to be in the top 5. We could always start a wining streak and fell off the top 5, but the odds are on our side,

I know a lot of you are saying we need to draft a center, but the fact is, we need everything. It's true that we could really use a big center, but with Timmins, we will use our pick to draft the guy with the highest potential vs. the less chance to bust. I don't know if Grigorenko is that high on his list...skill wise, he is for sure, but he's not his type of player.

We can safely assume that Yakupov, Forsberg and Murray are all in his top 5. I know we all want a sexy pick...I want one too...but Murray could look great on our blueline. And please guys, stop staying we don't need a D because we have Tinordi, Beaulieu and the others in our system. We don't even know if they will be good NHL players. And anyways, if they do, we can swap them for another asset...

Old
03-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
What are the chances Columbus doesn't pick Yakupov or Grigorenko because they are scared of drafting Russians?
Slim to none for Yakupov...high for Grigorenko.

Closed Thread