HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 - Montreal Impact - 2012 MLS Entry Season Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2012, 11:47 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

vCash: 500
Bit off topic, But since I'm jumping on the Impact Bandwagon, I wanted to be a knowledgeable person. I'm the kind of guy that likes to know everything about a certain subject. So I picked up Fifa 12, went to Career Mode as a manager, Playstyle difficuly as Pro and Board Difficulty as Amateur...

Here's the roster I came up with **This is after 1 complete season** (I also have Lahm, Podolski, Benzema & Ozil as reserves, trying to transfer a few of them)

I obviously know Ronaldo, Casillas & Sergio Ramos. Also learned about Eriksen this week watching a Road to the Euro12 show on TSN..

. But can anyone else give me a breif idea on the players I got? Are they over rated, or are they really people i have to look forward to see in the Euro12/World Cup. Most of them are under 25

Thanks in advance

Old
01-28-2012, 12:27 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I know I'm not answering directly your question but if you want to learn about soccer, get Football Manager 2012.

Old
01-28-2012, 02:09 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I know I'm not answering directly your question but if you want to learn about soccer, get Football Manager 2012.
I think im pretty "ok" as for the game knowlage. It's more the players my thing. I know most of all the big names, but thats about it(Mostly those you see in the world cup). Getting to know them, the primed players, busts, upcomming stars, etc.. So if that's what Manager 2012 is about, Ill give it a shot

Old
01-28-2012, 06:03 AM
jamz

Football manager is like GM mode, you don't actually play the game, you play the role of the manager. You oversee transfers, decide tactics, make substitutions, give touchline instructions, etc. It's amazing if you want to learn about the players and teams.

For your team, well you pretty much only have superstars so there's not much to say...

Vincent Kompany is a belgian defender playing for Manchester city. He is young and is already one of the best in the premier league.

Mats Hummels is a young german defender plaing for Dortmund in the Bundesliga and for the German national team. Also a future star.

Criscito went to Russia last summer. He was a good left back in Italy before that, haven't watched him play since the transfer.

Jack Wilshere is a young promising midfielder for Arsenal. He is always injured because his manager Arsene Wenger insists on playing teenagers for 50 games in a season when their bodies are not ready for it.

Christian Ericksen is a Danish attacking midfielder playing for Ajax. He is very promising and very good in the Eredivisie (although he had a bad start of the season), but he is not yet ready for one of the bigger European leagues in my opinion.

Eden Hazard is probably the most sought after youngster in the world right now. Very good in the not-so physical Ligue 1, he plays for Lille, who surprisingly won the French league last season. All the big European clubs are looking at him, but he might sign for PSG who were bought by an arab billionaire.

Cavani is one of the best young strikers in the world. He plays for Napoli and Uruguay. He scored a pretty amazing goal against Inter this week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8zWKcAXzyk&t=0m30s

Old
01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
Football manager is like GM mode, you don't actually play the game, you play the role of the manager. You oversee transfers, decide tactics, make substitutions, give touchline instructions, etc. It's amazing if you want to learn about the players and teams.

For your team, well you pretty much only have superstars so there's not much to say...

Vincent Kompany is a belgian defender playing for Manchester city. He is young and is already one of the best in the premier league.

Mats Hummels is a young german defender plaing for Dortmund in the Bundesliga and for the German national team. Also a future star.

Criscito went to Russia last summer. He was a good left back in Italy before that, haven't watched him play since the transfer.

Jack Wilshere is a young promising midfielder for Arsenal. He is always injured because his manager Arsene Wenger insists on playing teenagers for 50 games in a season when their bodies are not ready for it.

Christian Ericksen is a Danish attacking midfielder playing for Ajax. He is very promising and very good in the Eredivisie (although he had a bad start of the season), but he is not yet ready for one of the bigger European leagues in my opinion.

Eden Hazard is probably the most sought after youngster in the world right now. Very good in the not-so physical Ligue 1, he plays for Lille, who surprisingly won the French league last season. All the big European clubs are looking at him, but he might sign for PSG who were bought by an arab billionaire.

Cavani is one of the best young strikers in the world. He plays for Napoli and Uruguay. He scored a pretty amazing goal against Inter this week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8zWKcAXzyk&t=0m30s
Thanks! Appreciate it!

Do you think there are any chances to see Eriksen in a Arsenal jersey? I'm not really commited on being a Arsenal fan, but I'm looking for a club to root for, and on the international level, I like Netherlands (I was in vacation @ Amsterdam when they were in the world cup finals, the city's vibe made me fall inlove with them, Robin van Persie & Sneijder). When i was watching the Euro 2012 feature on him, they mentionned EPL Clubs looking at him before he makes the big jump to Barca/Real Madrid

Second of all, It seems almost impossible to find Left Back's and Right Back's (Sergio Ramos is the best RB i have found) but as for Left Back's, i can't find any. Is there any reason why?

Also. In order of interest by young/current players... How does it go?

1) Spain
2) EPL
3) Italy
4) France
5) Netherlands

Last edited by LaurentHabs: 01-28-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old
01-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Huge94

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Thanks! Appreciate it!

Do you think there are any chances to see Eriksen in a Arsenal jersey? I'm not really commited on being a Arsenal fan, but I'm looking for a club to root for, and on the international level, I like Netherlands (I was in vacation @ Amsterdam when they were in the world cup finals, the city's vibe made me fall inlove with them, Robin van Persie & Sneijder). When i was watching the Euro 2012 feature on him, they mentionned EPL Clubs looking at him before he makes the big jump to Barca/Real Madrid

Second of all, It seems almost impossible to find Left Back's and Right Back's (Sergio Ramos is the best RB i have found) but as for Left Back's, i can't find any. Is there any reason why?
You can play Gareth Bale as a LB if you wish. Depends on the style you prefer.

A really good LB is very difficult to find. Try Yuto Nagatomo from Inter, Aleks Kolarov from Man City, Marcel Schmelzer from Dortmund, Leighton Baines from Everton, Fabio Coentrao from Real Madrid, Éric Abidal from Barça, Patrice evra from Man U and Ashley Cole from Chelsea. They are regarded as the best or some of the best LB's in the world.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:01 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Thanks! Appreciate it!

1) Spain
2) EPL
3) Italy
4) France
5) Netherlands
Europe:
Premier ~= Liga
Bundesliga
Serie A
Ligue1
Eredivisie
Belgian League

I think...

Scandinavians and players from smaller Euro countries tend to go to Belgium or Netherlands to make a name for themselves. Similarly, African players tend to go to France.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Huge94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Europe:
Premier ~= Liga
Bundesliga
Serie A
Ligue1
Eredivisie
Belgian League

I think...

Scandinavians and players from smaller Euro countries tend to go to Belgium or Netherlands to make a name for themselves. Similarly, African players tend to go to France.
I would definitely put La Liga before EPL, not exactly on par. But they are the two best leagues in the world for sure. Also, the Ligue 1 better and better with more money coming in (PSG). The Belgian Pro League is definitely not on par with any of these. The bigger clubs (I'm a huge fan of Anderlecht), have not been in the European top mix for quite a while.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:37 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I still think Ligue1 has a ways to go as a whole. Sure PSG is slated to rack up some players (Chelsea style?), but the whole league in general is too far from the level of the top leagues. Yea... I suppose you could say that La Liga is #1 as a whole, but I still think it's toe to toe with the Premier League.

I have to admit I haven't followed the Belgian league in quite a few years. Same with the Turkish teams.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Thanks a lot guys, and sorry for the IMFC diehard fans if i went a bit off topic here..

Lastly (hopefully lol)... Whats the point of all these European cups, Champion Cups etc in a season? Is it just a "event" used to make all the teams play against each other, from PSG to Barca back to Man U & etc..?

Old
01-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Huge94

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys, and sorry for the IMFC diehard fans if i went a bit off topic here..

Lastly (hopefully lol)... Whats the point of all these European cups, Champion Cups etc in a season? Is it just a "event" used to make all the teams play against each other, from PSG to Barca back to Man U & etc..?
For a lot of players (and companies), the European matches are the most important events of club-play. They're the club matches filled with the most anticipation, thrill, glory etc. Even more so with players who do not have the chance to compete with their national team.

Old
01-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Huge94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I still think Ligue1 has a ways to go as a whole. Sure PSG is slated to rack up some players (Chelsea style?), but the whole league in general is too far from the level of the top leagues. Yea... I suppose you could say that La Liga is #1 as a whole, but I still think it's toe to toe with the Premier League.

I have to admit I haven't followed the Belgian league in quite a few years. Same with the Turkish teams.
Even though it,s hard for me to admit this, I could see PSG becoming a new Chelsea. Buying players without developing your own leads to one or two years of solid success but plenty of more difficult years. You can't build a dynasty without homegrown talent.

Old
01-28-2012, 01:34 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge94 View Post
For a lot of players (and companies), the European matches are the most important events of club-play. They're the club matches filled with the most anticipation, thrill, glory etc. Even more so with players who do not have the chance to compete with their national team.
Talking about those games.. Does anyone have Videotron? both Real Madrid and Chelsea are playing, but I need to pay for the channel. Only one i can get right now is the PSG game. Are there any other channels that are showing these games charge-free? Or streams only

Old
01-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Talking about those games.. Does anyone have Videotron? both Real Madrid and Chelsea are playing, but I need to pay for the channel. Only one i can get right now is the PSG game. Are there any other channels that are showing these games charge-free? Or streams only
You get a good load of EPL games on TSN2 & Sportsnet splits up games between the 4 regular channels East-Pacific. Those 5 channels are pretty much one step above basic Cable. If you go with Bell you also get SportsnetOne which gives you an extra game that isn't on the other 4 sportsnets. Also you can pay for Sportsnet World(Old Setanta) which gives you another game & the Sunday/Monday EPL ones & a few Championship & Scottish games a week. But Sportsnet world is a premium channel.

Old
01-28-2012, 02:03 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
You get a good load of EPL games on TSN2 & Sportsnet splits up games between the 4 regular channels East-Pacific. Those 5 channels are pretty much one step above basic Cable. If you go with Bell you also get SportsnetOne which gives you an extra game that isn't on the other 4 sportsnets. Also you can pay for Sportsnet World(Old Setanta) which gives you another game & the Sunday/Monday EPL ones & a few Championship & Scottish games a week. But Sportsnet world is a premium channel.
I got TSN2,RDS2 and All the Sportsnet's (Asides Sportsnet World) but no games on. Oh well, thanks for your help

Old
01-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
I got TSN2,RDS2 and All the Sportsnet's (Asides Sportsnet World) but no games on. Oh well, thanks for your help
There were no games this weekend, here's my fav place for schedules.

http://www.soccerway.com/national/en...egular-season/

Old
01-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Padrino86

Cavani is a top 10 striker in the world and he is going upward so you definitely have a gem there. He can play any striking role effectively. He was the best striker in serie A last year. I'm not sure about this year but I'd be surprised to see him not ranked anywhere but #1 this year at the end, again.

Other then that, I'll just repeat what other before me have said. PICK UP football manager 2012. It is very complex, hard to master but it is worth it. I did the same thing as you did 3 years ago when I wanted to know the game better, and football manager has no equal. It's a gem of a simulation game.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Padrino86

Quote:
If you prefer Serie A(like I do!) you can pick up The Score and/or Fox sports network(24/7 soccer reports, soccer games and soccer news)

They both show serie A games live every sunday.

Old
01-28-2012, 05:06 PM
jamz

Quote:
Thanks! Appreciate it!

Eriksen said he only wanted to move to Barcelona, but I don't see that happening soon. Manchester United were said to be interested and they need an attacking midfielder so there might be something there. Arsenal have sold Fabregas, Wilshere and Ramsey are injury prone and Benayoun, Arteta and Arshavin are not good enough to bring them trophies so it's definitely a possibility. Wenger likes young boys too.

Quote:
There aren't a lot of amazing young left backs in the world. Ashley Cole is still one of the best. Marcelo is good too in FIFA 12. Gareth Bale can play as left back although he's better as a left midfielder/winger. One who I find truly amazing is Jose Enrique for Liverpool. He will no doubt be part of the Spanish setup in the near future.

Quote:

1) Spain
2) EPL
3) Italy
4) France
5) Netherlands
Spain's La Liga has 2 clubs who can win, 3-4 who can compete for the other Euro places, and then a bunch of near-bankruptcy clubs who can't buy players or sell tickets. Lots of young players want to play for either Real or Barca, not so much for the rest of the league.

The English Premier is the best league to watch for the competition. Promoted clubs like Swansea winning against Arsenal, Blackburn beating Manchester United, Bolton beating Liverpool.. You don't see that in Spain or Italy, because only the top teams get TV revenue. Pretty much every team in England can buy good young players, the bigger clubs tend to buy more established players.

Italy is always empty stadiums with no atmosphere unless it's 2 giants playing eachother. You rarely hear of young players dreaming of a move to AC Milan or Inter anymore. They have rules about the number of non-Euro players they can buy/play so that might be one reason. There used to be lots of South American lining up to play in Serie A.

The German Bundesliga is pretty great for competition, and unlike Italy their stadiums are pretty much always full. Lots of young players are developping there. And most of the German National team play and were developped in the Bundesliga.

Eredivisie/Ligue 1 are great developmental leagues, feeding players to the bigger (richer) Euro leagues. They can't keep their best players because they just don't have the money, so many of the French and Dutch superstars play outside of their country of origin. That is why they tend to be good at developping players, since they can't just buy all the best players from around the world and can't keep them for long once they become great.

Last edited by jamz: 01-28-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old
01-28-2012, 10:46 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Eriksen said he only wanted to move to Barcelona, but I don't see that happening soon. Manchester United were said to be interested and they need an attacking midfielder so there might be something there. Arsenal have sold Fabregas, Wilshere and Ramsey are injury prone and Benayoun, Arteta and Arshavin are not good enough to bring them trophies so it's definitely a possibility. Wenger likes young boys too.
Whats with all the grudge against Real Madrid? I mean, it seems like everyone always puts them behind the shadow of Barcelona. Personally, I'm leaning towards being a Real fan rather than a Barcelona (I still don't know.. I'm on the fence ). I went to both places this summer, and Madrid had a better overall vibe in my books. There were jerseys everywhere. Not as Barcelona didn't, it just seemed like a more "diverse" city. I mean 1 day isn't a lot to rate, but still... I mean, Eriksen being a CAM, isn't it more realistic to go to Real where he can compete with Ozil rather than going to Barcelona and having to compete with Cesc Fabregas/Iniesta/Xavi for a spot?

Quote:

The English Premier is the best league to watch for the competition. Promoted clubs like Swansea winning against Arsenal, Blackburn beating Manchester United, Bolton beating Liverpool.. You don't see that in Spain or Italy, because only the top teams get TV revenue. Pretty much every team in England can buy good young players, the bigger clubs tend to buy more established players.
Yeah.. I agree, makes me sort of think of Canada and Hockey. Most of all the EPL games I have watched are always full action packed, some stadiums are obviously bigger, which makes everything look and sound better, but even the small ones make me think of the MTS Center @ WPG..

Anyways, Thanks for your POV guys. Once again, Soz to the Diehard IMFC fans if im going off topic

Old
01-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Huge94

People hate Real Madrid because they're a bunch of ****ing whiny ********** and because Barcelona has had a lot more success in the last couple of years and, IMO, are a lot more deserving.

For better explanation, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWV1YBxQo44

Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixxt3nVORVs

Pepe is a ****ing psycho and the least likable man in the world and it's way too easy to hate C. Ronaldo and/or Jose Mourinho.

Old
01-29-2012, 06:59 PM
JtotheC

For those who are interested, on Sportsnet..there's the 2012 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying final. Canada vs USA. Obviously, I will be cheering for Canada.. but I like Alex Morgan and Hope Solo..talent and beauty.

Old
01-29-2012, 07:39 PM
tobo

Quote:

There aren't a lot of amazing young left backs in the world. Ashley Cole is still one of the best. Marcelo is good too in FIFA 12. Gareth Bale can play as left back although he's better as a left midfielder/winger. One who I find truly amazing is Jose Enrique for Liverpool. He will no doubt be part of the Spanish setup in the near future.

Spain's La Liga has 2 clubs who can win, 3-4 who can compete for the other Euro places, and then a bunch of near-bankruptcy clubs who can't buy players or sell tickets. Lots of young players want to play for either Real or Barca, not so much for the rest of the league.

Italy is always empty stadiums with no atmosphere unless it's 2 giants playing eachother. You rarely hear of young players dreaming of a move to AC Milan or Inter anymore. They have rules about the number of non-Euro players they can buy/play so that might be one reason. There used to be lots of South American lining up to play in Serie A.

The German Bundesliga is pretty great for competition, and unlike Italy their stadiums are pretty much always full. Lots of young players are developping there. And most of the German National team play and were developped in the Bundesliga.

Eredivisie/Ligue 1 are great developmental leagues, feeding players to the bigger (richer) Euro leagues. They can't keep their best players because they just don't have the money, so many of the French and Dutch superstars play outside of their country of origin. That is why they tend to be good at developping players, since they can't just buy all the best players from around the world and can't keep them for long once they become great.
I agree with you on everything you said about these competitions. But I want to add that the French Ligue 1 is one of the most exciting competitions. Lots of teams can potentially win the title. The last three years, three different teams won the championship. Now PSG has been bought by Arabs and has a good chance of becoming the fourth team. You don't have that in any European competition anymore. Another upside with the sale of PSG: other teams are forced to spend more money if they want to keep up with the Parisians. So that means we'll see an overal increase in talent.

People also tend to forget the football in Belgium. It sucked massively the last decade, but we're starting to rise again (yay). Our clubsides like Anderlecht, Standard and Club Bruges are performing well in the Europa League and won their groups. I also don't understand why the Dutch competition is being held in such high regard. Our competition isn't any better (or weaker) than theirs. + we have the advantage that our teams are much healthier. Lot's of Dutch teams are on the verge of going bankrupt. I also want to show off with our national team. if we qualify for Brazil, I see us getting very, very far in that tournament. There aren't many countries who can put an equally talented team on the pitch. If I were coach, this is what I should do:

GK: Courtois (Chelsea)
RB: Vanden Borre (Genk)
CB: Kompany (Man City)
CB: Vermaelen (Arsenal)
LB: Lombaerts (Zenit)
DM: Nainggolan (Juventus)
DM: Witsel (Benfica)
RM: Hazard (Soon to be Chelsea?)
CM: Defour (Porto)
LM: De Bruyne (Soon to be Chelsea?)
ST: Lukaku (Chelsea)

There isn't even place for players like Fellaini, Mertens, Chadli or Dembélé on this squad.

Old
01-29-2012, 08:44 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezc View Post
For those who are interested, on Sportsnet..there's the 2012 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying final. Canada vs USA. Obviously, I will be cheering for Canada.. but I like Alex Morgan and Hope Solo..talent and beauty.
Agreed. Was watching a show with Alex Morgan yesterday on Sportsnet.. Don't remember the name, but had challanges with goalkeepers

Old
01-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Really interested in the team, but I dont know anything about their players..

Closed Thread