HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Jets and playoffs

Old
03-06-2012, 02:09 AM
KareyPrice

vCash: 500
The Jets and playoffs

I'm curious with the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg they have seem to have found some home success. Last year Atlanta was 11th in the East I believe and this year in Winnipeg they are in 8th do you guys feel with the change in the fans being more into the team etc having a big enough impact to carry them into the playoffs or just the team changing a bit?

p.s if any mods can think of a better title please do.

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:35 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

No doubt the crowd helps

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Also remember that they have an extremely young roster. Player growth on a lot of them surely helps as well.

Hell, look at Wheeler alone compared to last year.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:39 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Also remember that they have an extremely young roster. Player growth on a lot of them surely helps as well.

Hell, look at Wheeler alone compared to last year.
This in a nut shell.

The crowd at home does help though. There is no denying that.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Aerial

Homer talk here.

I think the Jets overachieve at home -- the crowd does get their butts hustling, and they visibly have more fun on the ice with that, which loosens them up and makes them play a bit beyond themselves.

On the other hand, they have underachieved on the road -- they aren't as bad as too many of their road games would suggest.

What happens next? They played their best hockey of the year on this last homestand and are super positive, cohesive and hungry right now. So I'm optimistic we might see a slightly better road record for them to close out the year. If we do, my guess is they'll stay a step ahead and make it in. But anything can happen, of course.

I don't know that it's all or even mostly the crowd -- we've also had a lot of talk about culture change with a new organization, and that seems to be taking hold. I'm also a fan of our coaching -- it took awhile to get a full buy-in from the guys (lots of change, I get it), but we seem to have 100% buy-in right now and that's produced strong results.

Plus, lots of young guys on the team and they're all a year older and getting better as one would expect -- Kane, Burmistrov, Bogosian. Wheeler's breaking out as a result of his first full season with first-line time and responsibilities after being traded last year, and is carrying the forwards with him. Pavelec has continued to develop. We have a pretty great leadership core, lots of really solid character guys all over the roster.

Long story short -- if they end the year off better than last, it's part fans for the home record, for sure. But also part players maturing, part a change in coaching, and some good leadership internally that's stepped up to drag the team out of a few pretty rough patches.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:45 AM
StandingCow

Hope they do make it, can't wait to see that crowd during the playoffs.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:48 AM
KareyPrice

I forgot to ask this in my op do you guys feel if the team was still in Atlanta they would be in a playoff postion this late into the season?

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:55 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

no. That home situation would be demoralizing to any athlete, and the jets without their home record are not a playoff team.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:57 AM
Eamonn*

Look at their home record, and look at their away record.

Case closed

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Definitely does help, as ^.

However, like someone else said, they have a very young roster with extreme potential. Every year, they'll get better.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:22 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Last night was the loudest I have heard it all year.
The home crowd has to help.
Even if they say it doesn't, they are lying.

Just look at the road record. I can't even call it mediocre.
Once they figure out how to play on the road like they do at home... watch out.

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KareyPrice View Post
I forgot to ask this in my op do you guys feel if the team was still in Atlanta they would be in a playoff postion this late into the season?
No way. As much as they can feed of the crowd energy, I think playing for an organization that's committed to winning as opposed to an organization that's committed to dropping you like a bag of dirt the first chance they get makes a huge difference in your performance. I've been very happy with their home record this season. Last weeks game against Florida was another telling moment. Historically, "must win" games have been meet with less than satisfactory results. Not this time.

As hard as this has been for the fans in Atlanta, at least I feel somewhat vindicated. For the last 3 years I've been telling anybody that would listen, the only thing wrong with this team is management. I've only seen a few Jets games this season. I hope that changes very soon in the playoffs.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:36 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Look at their home record, and look at their away record.

Case closed
Yep, it couldn't be more obvious. It's not a bad thing at all, though. I like to watch the Jets play at home because of their crazy loud fan and I have a very soft spot for teams who overachieve at home.
Also, they are not the only team still fighting for a playoff spot because of such an impressive home record.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Yep, it couldn't be more obvious. It's not a bad thing at all, though. I like to watch the Jets play at home because of their crazy loud fan and I have a very soft spot for teams who overachieve at home.
Also, they are not the only team still fighting for a playoff spot because of such an impressive home record.
This:

Jets home record: 21-10-4
Caps home record: 21-10-2
Bolts home record: 20-9-2

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:21 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
I'll be rooting for the jets this year in playoff! After Montreal is eliminated only!

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

I def think the crowd and the city has something to do with it. You're showing up at your job and there is more people in the stands who actually care. Its gotta make ya feel good and I personally would love to see the jets get in the playoffs and make a run for it. I love their crowd and their fans.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:42 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Of course it helps. Those fans are pumped after their hiatus, all sth's who live for every game. Good on them.

Really wish the USA vs Canada stuff would go away though, as well as the Anglo French crap etc wtc , but that's asking too much.

7 of next 11 on road, big test.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Beezeral

A team that plays extremely well at home used an 8 game home stand late in the season to establish playoff position. Nothing surprising about that. What will surprise me is if they can play .500 hockey on the road to close out the season.

Beezeral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:57 AM
re5piration
'67 til

I'd like to see a Boston/Winnipeg match up. Both these teams' crowds should provide some interesting chants for each other.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 2084
can we play philly, lol we always seem to give them trouble

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KareyPrice View Post
Of course not. Playing in Canada makes them a playoff team.

That's what you want to hear, right?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:32 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

I thought they had a good chance of making the playoffs last year before they fizzled out in the last month or so...

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
SilverRiver89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
No way. As much as they can feed of the crowd energy, I think playing for an organization that's committed to winning as opposed to an organization that's committed to dropping you like a bag of dirt the first chance they get makes a huge difference in your performance. I've been very happy with their home record this season. Last weeks game against Florida was another telling moment. Historically, "must win" games have been meet with less than satisfactory results. Not this time.

As hard as this has been for the fans in Atlanta, at least I feel somewhat vindicated. For the last 3 years I've been telling anybody that would listen, the only thing wrong with this team is management. I've only seen a few Jets games this season. I hope that changes very soon in the playoffs.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
I thought they had a good chance of making the playoffs last year before they fizzled out in the last month or so...
They bombed the entire month of February. Only like two wins that entire time against mostly easy opponents. It was awful.

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:13 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

They'd play the Rangers in the first round and be lucky to win 1 game. They can't keep up with NY's physical play and brick walls.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:43 AM
deckercky

Last year the Thrashers were a playoff team until the wheels fell off. I'd put most of the improvement on player growth.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote