HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Beast of the East; Bruins or Rangers?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
  #926
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz
 
McDonagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
The Pens are 2-2 against the Rangers and all of those games were without Crosby and both losses without Letang. I wouldn't get too cocky about that matchup yet.
Actually Crosby played in a loss to the Rangers, I believe.

McDonagh is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 12:12 PM
  #927
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP
 
poeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
Congrats on being regular season champs.
who said they were regular season champs?

Read the post again, instead of writing something that you think is witty.

poeman is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 12:15 PM
  #928
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
who said they were regular season champs?

Read the post again, instead of writing something that you think is witty.
Nah I'll stick to it thanks, and congrats to you sir for being a Bruins hater.

ryedog* is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 12:21 PM
  #929
MrBrightside
Registered User
 
MrBrightside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Franklin Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
Actually Crosby played in a loss to the Rangers, I believe.
I stand corrected...my bad. The Rangers did win the one game that Crosby played in the matchup on November 29. Letang was out, but Sid was in.

MrBrightside is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
  #930
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
If Sid and Letang are healthy for the playoffs, the Pens are the clear and prohibitive favorite to win the East. I don't think anyone who's not viewing it through the goggles of their own team colors would disagree.
Honestly the only thing I can hope for is that Sid is rusty as hell (well, that's almost a given, I can't imagine he's going to be back up to 100% this year even if they go deep in the playoffs) and that he ends up taking icetime from Malkin so he can't dominate as much as he has been

Anything can happen in the playoffs but a healthy Pens team is the best lineup in the NHL

Levitate is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
  #931
Rangerfans
Registered User
 
Rangerfans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
An an opposing fan, if I had to choose between Crosby and Letang as to who I prefer to be out...



....I'm choosing Letang.

Rangerfans is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
  #932
panny2727
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Honestly the only thing I can hope for is that Sid is rusty as hell (well, that's almost a given, I can't imagine he's going to be back up to 100% this year even if they go deep in the playoffs) and that he ends up taking icetime from Malkin so he can't dominate as much as he has been

Anything can happen in the playoffs but a healthy Pens team is the best lineup in the NHL
what i would like to see is healthy pens, vs healthy Bruins vs healthy Rangers vs healthy Philadelphia with a real goalie. 4 team tourney see who wins

panny2727 is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 01:34 PM
  #933
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow
 
Net Front Presence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 6,173
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
Nah I'll stick to it thanks, and congrats to you sir for being a Bruins hater.
Stating facts = being a hater


Net Front Presence is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 01:42 PM
  #934
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post
Stating facts = being a hater

Well.. yeah, tiss the guy who started the popular Thomas bashing thread. Just stating a fact.

ryedog* is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
  #935
HockeyBurd*
 
HockeyBurd*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727 View Post
what i would like to see is healthy pens, vs healthy Bruins vs healthy Rangers vs healthy Philadelphia with a real goalie. 4 team tourney see who wins
No thank you. I'll go with injury riddled Pens vs unhealthy Bruins vs Philadelphia with their current goalies vs completely healthy Rangers at their absolute peak. But that's just me.

HockeyBurd* is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
  #936
TimmytheTank
Registered User
 
TimmytheTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrusezincate View Post
The other thing which we all should know by now is it isn't always who is best. In fact, it's usually more

1) Who's healthy?

and

2) Who gets the right matchups?

For instance, I tend to think Pittsburgh matches up better against the Rangers than it does Boston. I think the Rangers match up better against Boston than they do Pittsburgh. And I think Boston matches up better against Pittsburgh than they do the Rangers.

Who's better? It really really depends. Any of these teams (and several others) can win it, which is the fun of it.
I agree with all these points. The playoffs should be fun. I just hope all three teams get their star players back for the playoffs (Crosby, Letang, Horton, Rask, and sorry Rags fans, don't know if you're missing anyone big, but if so, I hope they come back for the playoffs). It will be great to watch the playoffs this year if these teams are all on their game and healthy.

TimmytheTank is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
  #937
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil
 
The Perfect Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
Well.. yeah, tiss the guy who started the popular Thomas bashing thread. Just stating a fact.
Just because he bashed a player doesn't mean he hates the team. You assumed that he hated the Bruins because he bashed Thomas.

According to your "logic", since I always despised Donald Brashear as a player, I must've hated the Rangers when he was on their roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post
Stating facts = being a hater

Don't bring logic into this.

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 03:05 PM
  #938
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
I don't like when fans cite standings as indisputable evidence that team A is better than team B. If that were the case, then we should rename the thread "Who is currently in first place?".

This thread is asking which Eastern Conference team should be expected to go the furthest in the playoffs.

Right now, it's a toss up between the Rangers, Bruins, and Penguins, IMO.

Crease is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 03:10 PM
  #939
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I don't like when fans cite standings as indisputable evidence that team A is better than team B. If that were the case, then we should rename the thread "Who is currently in first place?".

This thread is asking which Eastern Conference team should be expected to go the furthest in the playoffs.

Right now, it's a toss up between the Rangers, Bruins, and Penguins, IMO.
When there is such a huge gap between teams in the standings it does become indisputable proof of one team being better than another. There's no other unbiased way of looking at it. Standings aren't biased. Standings aren't subjective, opinions about future forecasting are very much so.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 03:14 PM
  #940
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
When there is such a huge gap between teams in the standings it does become indisputable proof of one team being better than another. There's no other unbiased way of looking at it. Standings aren't biased. Standings aren't subjective, opinions about future forecasting are very much so.
I usually agree with everything you say but can't here. Standings don't account for the fact that a team's playoff roster is going to be drastically different than what they went to battle with for a large portion of the regular season. If the Rangers blew up the roster for Nash at the deadline, it would be hard to use regular season success as a predictor for post season success. The Penguins look like they are getting a healthy Crosby and Letang back for the post-season. They haven't had a healthy roster all year. It's a completely different team, and you have to account for that.

Crease is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 03:15 PM
  #941
Control Denied
Registered User
 
Control Denied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
When there is such a huge gap between teams in the standings it does become indisputable proof of one team being better than another. There's no other unbiased way of looking at it. Standings aren't biased. Standings aren't subjective, opinions about future forecasting are very much so.
I would like to see the statistical evidence that a 65 game sample is enough to make such claims.

Control Denied is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
  #942
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
I stand corrected...my bad. The Rangers did win the one game that Crosby played in the matchup on November 29. Letang was out, but Sid was in.
I hate this injury excuse. Big deal, Letang and Sid have been out. Sid hasn't been relevant for over a year now. Sure he's the best player in the game, but he hasn't played and you can't say, well if we had him, etc etc.

The Rangers didn't have Marc Staal in the first meeting against the Pens. He is just beginning to get back into top pairing form. Sauer hasn't played in 3 of the matchups and he's in our top 4. Injuries happen, they are a part of the game.

For what its worth, the pens are the last team i want to play in the playoffs. I think they matchup the best against the Rangers and Henrik.

But at the same time, to act like they are certainly better or whatever is just not true. They bowed out in the playoffs like the Rangers last year and haven't had the better season thus far this year.

So all anyone can definitively say is "let's see what happens." No crosby then whatever. No sauer then whatever. I didn't hear many Rangers fans whining last year when Callahan missed the end of season and entire playoffs and when Biron was injured on trade deadline day.

**** happens, the Pens team is performing miraculously well without two of there big stars. Instead of using excuses you should be saying we're awesome. And if you do get back crosby and letang for the playoff run then that just makes you better.

Puckface NYR* is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 03:22 PM
  #943
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Agent View Post
I hate this injury excuse. Big deal, Letang and Sid have been out. Sid hasn't been relevant for over a year now. Sure he's the best player in the game, but he hasn't played and you can't say, well if we had him, etc etc.

The Rangers didn't have Marc Staal in the first meeting against the Pens. He is just beginning to get back into top pairing form. Sauer hasn't played in 3 of the matchups and he's in our top 4. Injuries happen, they are a part of the game.

For what its worth, the pens are the last team i want to play in the playoffs. I think they matchup the best against the Rangers and Henrik.

But at the same time, to act like they are certainly better or whatever is just not true. They bowed out in the playoffs like the Rangers last year and haven't had the better season thus far this year.

So all anyone can definitively say is "let's see what happens." No crosby then whatever. No sauer then whatever. I didn't hear many Rangers fans whining last year when Callahan missed the end of season and entire playoffs and when Biron was injured on trade deadline day.

**** happens, the Pens team is performing miraculously well without two of there big stars. Instead of using excuses you should be saying we're awesome. And if you do get back crosby and letang for the playoff run then that just makes you better.
How is it an excuse? It's not just about missing a Norris candidate and one of the top 3 forwards in the world, it's also about missing $13M in assets that can't be made up.

MtlPenFan is online now  
Old
03-06-2012, 04:11 PM
  #944
Holocene
Registered User
 
Holocene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
The Pens are 2-2 against the Rangers and all of those games were without Crosby and both losses without Letang. I wouldn't get too cocky about that matchup yet.
Uh, no. First game we played Crosby and Letang were both in the lineup.

Edit: I see this was covered already.

Holocene is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 04:26 PM
  #945
Mr Wu
Registered User
 
Mr Wu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deadwood
Country: Canada
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Uh, no. First game we played Crosby and Letang were both in the lineup.

Edit: I see this was covered already.
It was covered correctly, and now you've ****ed it up again.

Letang didn't play.

Mr Wu is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 04:36 PM
  #946
TCL40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,527
vCash: 500
I hate it when fans of one team brush off how injury affects the success of the other team. The facts are that injuries do matter. One reason the Bruins won last year is they were healthier and their depth was able to overcome the injuries they did have. The Canucks were pretty battered, bruised and injured and their defensive depth just wasn't there. I think injury is a part of the game and successful teams find ways to overcome, but let's not pretend injuries play no part in whether teams win or lose.

Quote:
An an opposing fan, if I had to choose between Crosby and Letang as to who I prefer to be out...



....I'm choosing Letang.
I think I agree. It isn't that I don't think Crosby is an impact player, but I don't think the Pens have anyone who can really step in and fill Letang's shoes. Malkin has pretty much shown that he can produce points. Maybe not at a Crosby like rate, but a high enough rate that his team can win games.

Either way-Crosby and Letang back healthy for the playoffs makes the Pens IMO a very scary team to match up against.

TCL40 is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 04:43 PM
  #947
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 39,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
An an opposing fan, if I had to choose between Crosby and Letang as to who I prefer to be out...



....I'm choosing Letang.
As long as we have 1 of Malkin or Crosby I might have to agree that Letang is at least arguably more valuable than the other. It's a tough call.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 05:25 PM
  #948
MrBrightside
Registered User
 
MrBrightside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Franklin Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
The fact that the Rangers top 9 forwards have missed something like a combined total of 7 games all season certainly has helped them achieve the record that they have.

MrBrightside is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
  #949
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 34,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
When there is such a huge gap between teams in the standings it does become indisputable proof of one team being better than another. There's no other unbiased way of looking at it. Standings aren't biased. Standings aren't subjective, opinions about future forecasting are very much so.
Standings tell you the past. They do have some value as a predictor, but given injuries always play a role, how healthy a team is going into the playoffs can skew the value of the regular season standings markedly. Does every president's trophey winner win the cup? Not even close. With Crosby coming back and the Pens possibly healthy going into the playoffs, the Pens would, again on paper, appear to be stronger than their regular season record. But honestly the regular season means nothing to me. The Pens have one of the best records in hockey. And what do they get for it? Likely play Philly. Do you think that I would care if they were 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th or even 8th seed? All those matchups look the same to me, and I respect each, but do not really fear any of them more than the others. An extra home game? How many times does the home team lose that the first night? And the difference over the last ten years between the team with the home ice 'advantage' has been negligible. The regular season means next to nothing.



Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 03-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 06:12 PM
  #950
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
When there is such a huge gap between teams in the standings it does become indisputable proof of one team being better than another. There's no other unbiased way of looking at it. Standings aren't biased. Standings aren't subjective, opinions about future forecasting are very much so.
There is still a chance the Penguins catch the Rangers in regular season anyway. Also, the Penguins have had so many injuries this year I'm not sure how you can say this and be serious about it.

And the Pens are only 8 points behind. I would say that is just as "clear" that the Pens are better than the Rangers than the other way around.

metalan2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.