HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Beast of the East; Bruins or Rangers?

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
The Pens are 2-2 against the Rangers and all of those games were without Crosby and both losses without Letang. I wouldn't get too cocky about that matchup yet.
Actually Crosby played in a loss to the Rangers, I believe.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:12 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
Congrats on being regular season champs.
who said they were regular season champs?

Read the post again, instead of writing something that you think is witty.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:15 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
who said they were regular season champs?

Read the post again, instead of writing something that you think is witty.
Nah I'll stick to it thanks, and congrats to you sir for being a Bruins hater.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:21 PM
MrBrightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
Actually Crosby played in a loss to the Rangers, I believe.
I stand corrected...my bad. The Rangers did win the one game that Crosby played in the matchup on November 29. Letang was out, but Sid was in.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Levitate

Quote:
If Sid and Letang are healthy for the playoffs, the Pens are the clear and prohibitive favorite to win the East. I don't think anyone who's not viewing it through the goggles of their own team colors would disagree.
Honestly the only thing I can hope for is that Sid is rusty as hell (well, that's almost a given, I can't imagine he's going to be back up to 100% this year even if they go deep in the playoffs) and that he ends up taking icetime from Malkin so he can't dominate as much as he has been

Anything can happen in the playoffs but a healthy Pens team is the best lineup in the NHL

Old
03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Rangerfans

An an opposing fan, if I had to choose between Crosby and Letang as to who I prefer to be out...

....I'm choosing Letang.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
panny2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Honestly the only thing I can hope for is that Sid is rusty as hell (well, that's almost a given, I can't imagine he's going to be back up to 100% this year even if they go deep in the playoffs) and that he ends up taking icetime from Malkin so he can't dominate as much as he has been

Anything can happen in the playoffs but a healthy Pens team is the best lineup in the NHL
what i would like to see is healthy pens, vs healthy Bruins vs healthy Rangers vs healthy Philadelphia with a real goalie. 4 team tourney see who wins

Old
03-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 152
Quote:
Nah I'll stick to it thanks, and congrats to you sir for being a Bruins hater.
Stating facts = being a hater

Old
03-06-2012, 01:42 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post

Well.. yeah, tiss the guy who started the popular Thomas bashing thread. Just stating a fact.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727 View Post
what i would like to see is healthy pens, vs healthy Bruins vs healthy Rangers vs healthy Philadelphia with a real goalie. 4 team tourney see who wins
No thank you. I'll go with injury riddled Pens vs unhealthy Bruins vs Philadelphia with their current goalies vs completely healthy Rangers at their absolute peak. But that's just me.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
TimmytheTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrusezincate View Post
The other thing which we all should know by now is it isn't always who is best. In fact, it's usually more

1) Who's healthy?

and

2) Who gets the right matchups?

For instance, I tend to think Pittsburgh matches up better against the Rangers than it does Boston. I think the Rangers match up better against Boston than they do Pittsburgh. And I think Boston matches up better against Pittsburgh than they do the Rangers.

Who's better? It really really depends. Any of these teams (and several others) can win it, which is the fun of it.
I agree with all these points. The playoffs should be fun. I just hope all three teams get their star players back for the playoffs (Crosby, Letang, Horton, Rask, and sorry Rags fans, don't know if you're missing anyone big, but if so, I hope they come back for the playoffs). It will be great to watch the playoffs this year if these teams are all on their game and healthy.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Well.. yeah, tiss the guy who started the popular Thomas bashing thread. Just stating a fact.
Just because he bashed a player doesn't mean he hates the team. You assumed that he hated the Bruins because he bashed Thomas.

According to your "logic", since I always despised Donald Brashear as a player, I must've hated the Rangers when he was on their roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post

Don't bring logic into this.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Crease

I don't like when fans cite standings as indisputable evidence that team A is better than team B. If that were the case, then we should rename the thread "Who is currently in first place?".

This thread is asking which Eastern Conference team should be expected to go the furthest in the playoffs.

Right now, it's a toss up between the Rangers, Bruins, and Penguins, IMO.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I don't like when fans cite standings as indisputable evidence that team A is better than team B. If that were the case, then we should rename the thread "Who is currently in first place?".

This thread is asking which Eastern Conference team should be expected to go the furthest in the playoffs.

Right now, it's a toss up between the Rangers, Bruins, and Penguins, IMO.
When there is such a huge gap between teams in the standings it does become indisputable proof of one team being better than another. There's no other unbiased way of looking at it. Standings aren't biased. Standings aren't subjective, opinions about future forecasting are very much so.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
When there is such a huge gap between teams in the standings it does become indisputable proof of one team being better than another. There's no other unbiased way of looking at it. Standings aren't biased. Standings aren't subjective, opinions about future forecasting are very much so.
I usually agree with everything you say but can't here. Standings don't account for the fact that a team's playoff roster is going to be drastically different than what they went to battle with for a large portion of the regular season. If the Rangers blew up the roster for Nash at the deadline, it would be hard to use regular season success as a predictor for post season success. The Penguins look like they are getting a healthy Crosby and Letang back for the post-season. They haven't had a healthy roster all year. It's a completely different team, and you have to account for that.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Control Denied

Quote:
I would like to see the statistical evidence that a 65 game sample is enough to make such claims.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
I stand corrected...my bad. The Rangers did win the one game that Crosby played in the matchup on November 29. Letang was out, but Sid was in.
I hate this injury excuse. Big deal, Letang and Sid have been out. Sid hasn't been relevant for over a year now. Sure he's the best player in the game, but he hasn't played and you can't say, well if we had him, etc etc.

The Rangers didn't have Marc Staal in the first meeting against the Pens. He is just beginning to get back into top pairing form. Sauer hasn't played in 3 of the matchups and he's in our top 4. Injuries happen, they are a part of the game.

For what its worth, the pens are the last team i want to play in the playoffs. I think they matchup the best against the Rangers and Henrik.

But at the same time, to act like they are certainly better or whatever is just not true. They bowed out in the playoffs like the Rangers last year and haven't had the better season thus far this year.

So all anyone can definitively say is "let's see what happens." No crosby then whatever. No sauer then whatever. I didn't hear many Rangers fans whining last year when Callahan missed the end of season and entire playoffs and when Biron was injured on trade deadline day.

**** happens, the Pens team is performing miraculously well without two of there big stars. Instead of using excuses you should be saying we're awesome. And if you do get back crosby and letang for the playoff run then that just makes you better.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:22 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Agent View Post
I hate this injury excuse. Big deal, Letang and Sid have been out. Sid hasn't been relevant for over a year now. Sure he's the best player in the game, but he hasn't played and you can't say, well if we had him, etc etc.

The Rangers didn't have Marc Staal in the first meeting against the Pens. He is just beginning to get back into top pairing form. Sauer hasn't played in 3 of the matchups and he's in our top 4. Injuries happen, they are a part of the game.

For what its worth, the pens are the last team i want to play in the playoffs. I think they matchup the best against the Rangers and Henrik.

But at the same time, to act like they are certainly better or whatever is just not true. They bowed out in the playoffs like the Rangers last year and haven't had the better season thus far this year.

So all anyone can definitively say is "let's see what happens." No crosby then whatever. No sauer then whatever. I didn't hear many Rangers fans whining last year when Callahan missed the end of season and entire playoffs and when Biron was injured on trade deadline day.

**** happens, the Pens team is performing miraculously well without two of there big stars. Instead of using excuses you should be saying we're awesome. And if you do get back crosby and letang for the playoff run then that just makes you better.
How is it an excuse? It's not just about missing a Norris candidate and one of the top 3 forwards in the world, it's also about missing $13M in assets that can't be made up.

Old
03-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Holocene

Quote:
The Pens are 2-2 against the Rangers and all of those games were without Crosby and both losses without Letang. I wouldn't get too cocky about that matchup yet.
Uh, no. First game we played Crosby and Letang were both in the lineup.

Edit: I see this was covered already.

Old
03-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Mr Wu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Uh, no. First game we played Crosby and Letang were both in the lineup.

Edit: I see this was covered already.
It was covered correctly, and now you've ****ed it up again.

Letang didn't play.

Old
03-06-2012, 04:36 PM
TCL40

I hate it when fans of one team brush off how injury affects the success of the other team. The facts are that injuries do matter. One reason the Bruins won last year is they were healthier and their depth was able to overcome the injuries they did have. The Canucks were pretty battered, bruised and injured and their defensive depth just wasn't there. I think injury is a part of the game and successful teams find ways to overcome, but let's not pretend injuries play no part in whether teams win or lose.

Quote:
An an opposing fan, if I had to choose between Crosby and Letang as to who I prefer to be out...

....I'm choosing Letang.
I think I agree. It isn't that I don't think Crosby is an impact player, but I don't think the Pens have anyone who can really step in and fill Letang's shoes. Malkin has pretty much shown that he can produce points. Maybe not at a Crosby like rate, but a high enough rate that his team can win games.

Either way-Crosby and Letang back healthy for the playoffs makes the Pens IMO a very scary team to match up against.

Old
03-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post

....I'm choosing Letang.
As long as we have 1 of Malkin or Crosby I might have to agree that Letang is at least arguably more valuable than the other. It's a tough call.

Old
03-06-2012, 05:25 PM
MrBrightside

The fact that the Rangers top 9 forwards have missed something like a combined total of 7 games all season certainly has helped them achieve the record that they have.

Old
03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Standings tell you the past. They do have some value as a predictor, but given injuries always play a role, how healthy a team is going into the playoffs can skew the value of the regular season standings markedly. Does every president's trophey winner win the cup? Not even close. With Crosby coming back and the Pens possibly healthy going into the playoffs, the Pens would, again on paper, appear to be stronger than their regular season record. But honestly the regular season means nothing to me. The Pens have one of the best records in hockey. And what do they get for it? Likely play Philly. Do you think that I would care if they were 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th or even 8th seed? All those matchups look the same to me, and I respect each, but do not really fear any of them more than the others. An extra home game? How many times does the home team lose that the first night? And the difference over the last ten years between the team with the home ice 'advantage' has been negligible. The regular season means next to nothing.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 03-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old
03-06-2012, 06:12 PM
metalan2

Quote:
There is still a chance the Penguins catch the Rangers in regular season anyway. Also, the Penguins have had so many injuries this year I'm not sure how you can say this and be serious about it.

And the Pens are only 8 points behind. I would say that is just as "clear" that the Pens are better than the Rangers than the other way around.

Closed Thread