HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Beast of the East; Bruins or Rangers?

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Andrew83

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
I'm not going to lie. The only thing that's got me a little afraid of the Rangers, (besides the tender) is the fact that last 3 champs I believe, have all started their seasons in Europe.
It must really help team bonding a lot.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
The Rangers should just forfeit on the 21st if they would take Jim's advice. Why bother playing a game? We'll probably lose 15-1 or something like that.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:33 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
I think a healthy Penguins team could still take-down both the Bruins and Rangers.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:34 PM
BlueDream

Bruins. More complete, tough team.

The Rangers don't scare me.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:37 PM
PearJuice*

Bruins, and it's not even close.

The Rangers are a team on the upswing, but this is he I see the east:

1. Bruins
2. Penguins (when healthy)
-----------------
3. Rangers
4. Flyers
-------------------
5. Devils
6. Capitals
7. Panthers
8. Leafs
9. Senators
------------------
10. Sabres
11. Lightning
12. Jets
13. Habs
14. Islanders
15. Hurricanes

Two elite teams, 2 more very good teams.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:46 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segchise View Post
The bruins this year are not the same as the last two years and lol ok Tim Thomas is a scrub, right?
The Rangers this year are not the same as the last two years. Far, far better than the last two years, really.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:47 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearJuice View Post
Bruins, and it's not even close.

The Rangers are a team on the upswing, but this is he I see the east:

1. Bruins
2. Penguins (when healthy)
-----------------
3. Rangers
4. Flyers
-------------------
5. Devils
6. Capitals
7. Panthers
8. Leafs
9. Senators
------------------
10. Sabres
11. Lightning
12. Jets
13. Habs
14. Islanders
15. Hurricanes

Two elite teams, 2 more very good teams.
I think if Giroux continues his rise, and Schenn and Cotourier develop into the all around players their projected to, not to mention Bryz recovering his Phoenix form, the Flyers could be as elite as anyone.

Same for Washington if AO recovers his form, Green stays healthy, and Vokoun starts stealing games.

1-5 (if you swap the Caps and Devils) in the East can all make a case for themselves being beasts of the East in 7 game series'.

The NYR have a few prospects (Hagelin, Kreider, McIlrath) that, if they also reach their projected levels, could make them one of the perennial elites in the East for a long time to come.

NJD, Leafs, Habs, and Lightning seem to be a few pieces away from reaching top contender potential, but a well developed prospect and a trade apiece could put them in the grouping of serious contenders as well.

Last edited by SlingshotVv: 01-12-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old
01-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
Are you implying Lundqsvist(however you spell) has been the best goalie over the past few years?
I think he is. And he is wrong how? What, 3 or 4 Vezina nominations? How many 30 win seasons in a row, 6?

01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHockeyBro View Post
Sabres captain, Jason Pominville says the Bruins are the beasts of the east. http://tiny.cc/eicx7

The question is: Do you think the Rangers can beat them in a seven game series.

I say if the Rangers get the goaltending, they have a shot -- home ice is a must.
Any team can beat any team in a seven game series. 95-96 Red Wings are a testament to that. So, yes, the Rangers have the ability to beat them in a seven game set. But, so too do the Panthers, Flyers, Senators, etc. There is enough parity in the NHL now where upsets are fairly common.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
The bruins this year are not the same as the last two years and lol ok Tim Thomas is a scrub, right?
Actually, the Rangers were 3-1 against the Cup Winning Bruins last year. Lundqvist has routinely outplayed Thomas head to head throughout their careers. Their records against each other and stats against each other prove that.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Soderberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The Rangers this year are not the same as the last two years. Far, far better than the last two years, really.
And that's exactly why using the past 2 years as reference is stupid.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Soderberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Actually, the Rangers were 3-1 against the Cup Winning Bruins last year. Lundqvist has routinely outplayed Thomas head to head throughout their careers. Their records against each other and stats against each other prove that.
And what was montreals record vs the bruins last year? It really doesn't matter. The bruins still have better depth and id take timmy despite their records head to head. All that matters is what happens when they play in the playoffs.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
And what was montreals record vs the bruins last year? It really doesn't matter. The bruins still have better depth and id take timmy despite their records head to head. All that matters is what happens when they play in the playoffs.
Agreed, but I'm sure fans from both sides will use January 21st as the end all measuring stick as to who is the better team.

That said, I am extremely confident in Lundqvist vs Thomas. As I said, throughout their entire career's Lundqvist has been fantastic against Thomas and the Bruins. Whether it was a good Bruins team or Elite one, Lundqvist usually finds a way against that team. Now Montreal vs Lundqvist is a different story.

But one thing is for sure, Boston and New York would be a boring series. Their regular season games are generally some of the most boring regular season games I see.

That being said, I'd give the Bruins the edge in the series, not because of Lundqvist vs Thomas, but because of they are deeper.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
I don't think any one can argue that OVERALL the Bruins have the edge, even Rangers fans. But the assessment of it not even being close is completely unfounded and ignorant. The Rangers are not at the top of the NHL by accident. They have tremendous defensive depth, alot of toughness, multiple scoring threats maybe I am biased as a Rangers fan but the best goaltender in the NHL.

The Bruins are the defending champs and have un matched offensive firepower and depth. I think its a great match up and anything can happen.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:53 PM
SnowblindNYR

If the Rangers keep playing offensively like the last few games, especially today, this isn't even frigging close it's Boston.

Old
01-12-2012, 08:13 PM
NYRKING30

what happens january 21st really has no bearing on anything at all and neither would the following 3 regular season games with these 2 teams. nobody gets trophys or cup rings or mvps in january. we all know it matters what you do come playoff time. for all we know these 2 teams could both be heading in the opposite direction for the next 40 games. way way too much hockey to be played.

with that said, when they are all healthy the penguins are the team to beat in the east. having crosby and malkin 100 percent healthy really does wonders for them. sidney took his game up a few levels at the start of last season till he went down. more remarkably he picked up pretty much right where he left off in his brief stint this year.

Old
01-12-2012, 08:13 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Bruins. More complete, tough team.

The Rangers don't scare me.
what team do you root for?

Old
01-12-2012, 08:17 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
I think if Giroux continues his rise, and Schenn and Cotourier develop into the all around players their projected to, not to mention Bryz recovering his Phoenix form, the Flyers could be as elite as anyone.

Same for Washington if AO recovers his form, Green stays healthy, and Vokoun starts stealing games.

1-5 (if you swap the Caps and Devils) in the East can all make a case for themselves being beasts of the East in 7 game series'.

The NYR have a few prospects (Hagelin, Kreider, McIlrath) that, if they also reach their projected levels, could make them one of the perennial elites in the East for a long time to come.

NJD, Leafs, Habs, and Lightning seem to be a few pieces away from reaching top contender potential, but a well developed prospect and a trade apiece could put them in the grouping of serious contenders as well.
we have many prospects. top is obviously kreider as he has the most potential. don't forget about miller,st.croix,thomas,fogarty,noreau,ceresnak,mcc olgan plus others i know im forgetting to mention. thats the beauty of it all we finally have a farm system. it took me about until 2 weeks ago to come to reality this is true.

Old
01-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
what team do you root for?
Going through his posts he is a Blues fan.

Old
01-12-2012, 08:25 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Going through his posts he is a Blues fan.
that explains it, i forget they are a far more superior team. i actually really enjoy watching the blues. they are a team i like in the west. can never go against JD.

Old
01-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

When you dig a little deeper, you find that the Bruins have the 25th toughest schedule in the league. The Rangers? 14th toughest. In the Conference, Rangers have the 6th toughest schedule. Bruins - 13th.

Just sayin'...

Old
01-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
It's only Januray and alot can change but the Bruins are looking like they will repeat.

Old
01-12-2012, 09:04 PM
sixwings

What's Gaboriks speed like? I remember when he played for Minny he was wicked fast but I haven't followed him through his string of injuries. If he's still as fast as he once was he could be the deal breaker giving Chara and co fits.

Old
01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occidentalist View Post
When you dig a little deeper, you find that the Bruins have the 25th toughest schedule in the league. The Rangers? 14th toughest. In the Conference, Rangers have the 6th toughest schedule. Bruins - 13th.

Just sayin'...
You aren't sayin' anything here. You just posted their SOS including games against opponents they haven't played yet, which means very little.

To date, their SOS (of opponents played so far) are pretty much equal.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:03 PM
StandingCow

Bruins.

Rangers, imo, are over-achieving. Their loss to ottawa is probably the beginning of them evening out.

Closed Thread