HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Beast of the East; Bruins or Rangers?

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2012, 10:27 PM
ORRMAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occidentalist View Post
When you dig a little deeper, you find that the Bruins have the 25th toughest schedule in the league. The Rangers? 14th toughest. In the Conference, Rangers have the 6th toughest schedule. Bruins - 13th.

Just sayin'...
That's because the Bruins don't have to play the Bruins.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

To me, the Bruins are alone in the East unless Pittsburgh gets healthy.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:33 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Bruins.

Rangers, imo, are over-achieving. Their loss to ottawa is probably the beginning of them evening out.
That's what people keep saying after we have a stinker, and then we go and put together another 5-7 game winning streak.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Rangers take the underdog title, Big bad Bruins play the Wolf. I'm cool with this.

As for comments about NY "tapering off" or "coming back to reality", after half a season, that IS the reality. Bar is set, it's been proven they can maintain that win percentage.

Flyers with decent goaltending are in this conversation. They've been fighting it recently.

Penguins, ::sigh::, I don't know. Their healthy team on paper is most certainly up there, but we won't know this season. Earlier in preseason, we were all looking for a weakness in Pitt, and we found it: They can be broken.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Bruins. By a hair.

Bruins have the most complete roster in the NHL, skill, speed and size.

Rangers however, especially after watching 24/7, seem to have a damn good mental approach to the game.

Right now, it'd be a hell of a series, and in Lundqvist, the Rangers have the one goalie in the East who's capable of outplaying Thomas/Rask.

Old
01-13-2012, 05:21 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
As a Rangers fan I still think Boston is the beast of the east as of now. They have been dominating teams and are the defending champs.

Agree 100%. Rangers fan as well.

Old
01-13-2012, 05:27 AM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

It's the Bruins IMO. The Rangers are a very good, up-and-coming team that will only get better as time passes. However, right now, the Bruins have more depth at virtually every position. And how many teams could lose their starting goaltender and not have to worry at all about missing a beat?

Old
01-13-2012, 08:12 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

For now, can we start talking about Pittsburgh? "when they're healthy..." ok, but they aren't, and in all probability will not be healthy this season, so let's stop, and the bruins already beat the pens in their barn when Crosby and Malkin were both in the line up. It's the rangers and bruins, once Pittsburgh finally gets healthy, yes absolutely throw them in, but right now there are only 2 teams in the easy clearly above the rest. Talking about what ifs is pointless

As for the topic, I'm on the fence about facing the rangers in the playoffs. On one hand both teams are pretty evely matched, on the other, games against the rangers are always pretty boring...though I guess in a playoff series they would cease to be...hopefully. Right now the bruins are a better team slightly, but in a 7 game series? Well anything can happen.

Old
01-13-2012, 08:51 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Bruins.

Rangers, imo, are over-achieving. Their loss to ottawa is probably the beginning of them evening out.
I'm sure they overachieved the three times they played the flyers so far, right?

Old
01-13-2012, 09:03 AM
NYR Viper

It's the Bruins. The Rangers are a good team, but the Bruins are the best team, IMO, in the league.

Although the Rangers haven't been healthy all year so maybe if they can get healthy they can make a run.

Nice to see (2) Original 6 teams doing well and it's funny that they play similar styles.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:04 AM
ScotM

Boston is the team to beat right now. Their plus 70 goal differential and point total with the least games played are scary. As for the Rangers, last nights games showed that speed and good goaltending can shut them out.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

I think it would be a very close series if they were to match up against each other in the playoffs. It would probably be similar to the Bruins/Tampa series last year, but with more concentration on defense/goaltending than anything.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
I'm sure they overachieved the three times they played the flyers so far, right?
Of course. There is no way we could beat such an elite team. Clear overachieving.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
01-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
I think it would be a very close series if they were to match up against each other in the playoffs. It would probably be similar to the Bruins/Tampa series last year, but with more concentration on defense/goaltending than anything.
I really would love it if our teams met up in the playoffs. Some people whine about Bruins/Rangers games being boring, but they are some of the best games I see all year. On the edge of your seat the entire time, really.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:21 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I really would love it if our teams met up in the playoffs.
So would I, as it likely means ECFs.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:25 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I think it has to be Bruins overall, this year they are dominating. However, the Rangers are having an awesome season and in recent seasons have matched up very well against the Bruins.

So Bruins overall as beast of the east, but individually Bruins vs Rangers is closer.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
IHeartMattCooke

Here's the way I see it as a Rangers fan, and as the teams are configured right now:

Goaltending - Edge: Rangers
Defense - Edge: Rangers (Only b/c BOS has no one really solid to step up in case of injury - in a perfect world with no injuries, I'd call this even)
Scoring - Edge: Bruins
Size - Edge: Bruins
PP - Edge: Bruins
PK - Edge: Rangers

Overall I give the edge to Boston unless the Rangers can get their 3rd and 4th lines to produce and they can fix their powerplay. That's my $.02.

Old
01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
BeantownBadBoys22
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Here's the way I see it as a Rangers fan, and as the teams are configured right now:

Defense - Edge: Rangers (Only b/c BOS has no one really solid to step up in case of injury - in a perfect world with no injuries, I'd call this even)

Overall I give the edge to Boston unless the Rangers can get their 3rd and 4th lines to produce and they can fix their powerplay. That's my $.02.
You're definitely a Rangers fan.

Let me know when Henrik has 2 Vezinas, a Conn Smyth and a ring.

And on defense its a wash at best

Old
01-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBadBoys22 View Post
You're definitely a Rangers fan.

Let me know when Henrik has 2 Vezinas, a Conn Smyth and a ring.

And on defense its a wash at best
You're definitely a Bruins fan

Old
01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
MtlPenFan

Rangers I can see taking a step back. The scoring is something they've been doing by committee (aside from Gaborik) and I think they'll need one more goal scorer to go anywhere. I'd mention Lundqvist because I find he's still the best player on that team, but Thomas cancels him out in terms of head to head.

Boston is the beast.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:10 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHockeyBro View Post
Sabres captain, Jason Pominville says the Bruins are the beasts of the east. http://tiny.cc/eicx7

The question is: Do you think the Rangers can beat them in a seven game series.

I say if the Rangers get the goaltending, they have a shot -- home ice is a must.
Absolutely. The Rangers are mirror images of the B's, except for Chara, which will be the difference IMO. I would still pick the B's, but not be shocked if the Rangers beat them.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:19 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Absolutely. The Rangers are mirror images of the B's, except for Chara, which will be the difference IMO. I would still pick the B's, but not be shocked if the Rangers beat them.
Your scoring depth is superior I find. It's a constant barrage of awesomeness, and saying "except for Chara" is a hell of an exception.

For me the big thing is how Thomas and Lundqvist cancel each other out. Goaltending would be an advantage for either team against ANY other team in the League - except each other.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:40 PM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

if the game is played 5 on 5, I don't think anybody can beat the bruins in a 7-game series, they get in trouble once they start taking penalties .. rangers are very strong in all departments tho so it will be an exciting playoffs for these two teams, hopefully they'll meet in the conference championship series

Old
01-13-2012, 12:45 PM
VanIsle
Bruins/Canada 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post

When Thomas or Rask lead the league in GAA and SV% for the last 4 years, I repeat 4 years means that the Bruins have better goaltending then the Rangers. Lundvquist is a great goalie don't get me wrong, a top 3 or forsure top 5 goalie, but give me a break, Thomas and Rask are as good as it gets.

I would love to see the Bruins and Rangers meet up in the playoffs because of their amazing goaltending, the team who gets into the dirty areas the most will win the series.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:51 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Bruins have better goaltending. It's not even debatable

Closed Thread