HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Beast of the East; Bruins or Rangers?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Hensch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It's the Bruins. The Rangers are a good team, but the Bruins are the best team, IMO, in the league.

Although the Rangers haven't been healthy all year so maybe if they can get healthy they can make a run.

Nice to see (2) Original 6 teams doing well and it's funny that they play similar styles.
^^^^^ This

Agree 100% with this and i'm not surprised Boyler said it

Old
01-13-2012, 12:57 PM
BrainOfJ
Stone Clode

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Here's the way I see it as a Rangers fan, and as the teams are configured right now:

Goaltending - Edge: Rangers
Defense - Edge: Rangers (Only b/c BOS has no one really solid to step up in case of injury - in a perfect world with no injuries, I'd call this even)
Scoring - Edge: Bruins
Size - Edge: Bruins
PP - Edge: Bruins
PK - Edge: Rangers

Overall I give the edge to Boston unless the Rangers can get their 3rd and 4th lines to produce and they can fix their powerplay. That's my $.02.
yikes....so you're saying the defense is NY just incase of injuries(which is incorrect anyways) but then what about Goaltending? Fake injuries don't count there?

Old
01-13-2012, 01:02 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBadBoys22 View Post
You're definitely a Rangers fan.

Let me know when Henrik has 2 Vezinas, a Conn Smyth and a ring.

And on defense its a wash at best

Let me know when Thomas plays a full season.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
What, the 82 games of dominance wasn't good enough for you last year?

Old
01-13-2012, 01:07 PM
putabergeronthegrill

Quote:
uhh what? First of all, thomas has as many wins in about 20 less games slast year as lundqvist.

and I don't know what you mean by "full season" but he played a full season last year... if you mean played every game...will lundqvist hasnt done that either.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Anomander Rake

Anyone saying the NY defense is stronger then Boston's is just wrong. Boston has the best defense in the league and it isn't even close. That's why both Boston goaltenders can put up Hasekian numbers. The Boston defense is just overwhelmingly strong, and the absolutely dominant 5v5 numbers and the gaudy goaltender statistics are indicative of that.

To be clear Boston has great goaltending as well, but I feel that there really isn't any separation between Thomas and goaltenders like Lundqvist and Luongo(inb4 lol he's a choker because when the Canucks play superior teams he tends to lose). In fact I would take Lundqvist over Thomas, even for just one season.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
I don't know how anyone can definitively say the NYR goaltending is stronger than Boston's. A wash/tie? Sure, I can see that. But to say the Rangers' goaltending is unequivocally better than the Bruins' is downright absurd.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:27 PM
IBLeaf*

Boston AINEC to me.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

BOSTON

/thread

Old
01-13-2012, 01:30 PM
BrainOfJ
Stone Clode

Quote:
Let me know when playing a full season has worked for ol Hank.

in fact, in 24/7 they made it a point that they DIDN'T want to do this anymore...but you're still bragging about it.

viezna, cup, conn smythe in 82 games>playing 70+ during the regular season...sorry to burst your bubble guy.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

The problem with the Rangers is that alot of times they make back-up or mediocre starting goalies look like All-Stars where they can't finish.....The B's bury those goalies.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsox View Post
yikes....so you're saying the defense is NY just incase of injuries(which is incorrect anyways) but then what about Goaltending? Fake injuries don't count there?
You make a fair point about goaltending, and in all fairness, counting injuries, Boston has a better backup than NY. Not sure I get your point about team D though - if one of your top 6 gets injured, I wouldn't want to rely on Kampfer or Bartkowski. i think the Rangers have better fill in men in Bickel, Erixon and Woywitka, but maybe that's a matter of opinion. At any rate, I did already say Boston has the edge over the Rangers, though I don't think it's as gigantic a chasm as some people think.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:40 PM
BrainOfJ
Stone Clode

Quote:
You make a fair point about goaltending, and in all fairness, counting injuries, Boston has a better backup than NY. Not sure I get your point about team D though - if one of your top 6 gets injured, I wouldn't want to rely on Kampfer or Bartkowski. i think the Rangers have better fill in men in Bickel, Erixon and Woywitka, but maybe that's a matter of opinion. At any rate, I did already say Boston has the edge over the Rangers, though I don't think it's as gigantic a chasm as some people think.
But I'd take Bostons regulars(including the best shut down man in the game right now) over NY's personally. Bruins don't have any real flashy stand out names after Chara, so guys like Siedenberg, Ference, McQuaid don't get credit even though they rarely make mistakes.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsox View Post
But I'd take Bostons regulars(including the best shut down man in the game right now) over NY's personally. Bruins don't have any real flashy stand out names after Chara, so guys like Siedenberg, Ference, McQuaid don't get credit even though they rarely make mistakes.
I agree with you 100% about Boston's starting D. However, I feel the Rangers D is just as strong (once Staal and Sauer are fully healthy), and I think our reserves are stronger than Boston's - that was my original point.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bruins will get depth D at the deadline and have a ton of cap space to do it.

Goalie = even

D = Bruins (Rangers can't match Chara)

F= B's have more depth which will help in a 7 game series while Chara and the Bergy line shut down the superstars

PP = Even

PK = Even

Would be a very even series but right now slight edge to the Bruins mostly do to Chara.

This one upcoming game means nothing.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Old
01-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Sheer Con*

The Bruins have been making other teams question their identity when they play them all year long. I expect that to continue with the Rangers.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
If we're going to compare goalies, though, it shouldn't just be starter vs. starter ... but tandem vs. tandem.

Much the same way that depth among the forwards & blue liners is important, depth in net should be considered, too.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

vCash: 50
How is Lundqvist better then Thomas

Last 4 years

2011-2012 (so far)
Lundqvist - Thomas
.937 SV% .939 = Thomas
1.89 GAA 1.95 = Lundqvist
3 SO 4 = Thomas

2010-2011
.923 SV% .938 = Thomas
2.28 GAA 2.00 = Thomas
11 SO 9 = Lundqvist
(Thomas wins Vezina, Conn Smyth)

2009 - 2010
.921 SV% .915 = Lundqvist
2.38 GAA 2.56 = Lundqvist
4 SO 5 = Thomas
(thomas was playing hurt and got hip surgery after the season)

2008 - 2009
.916 SV% .933 = Thomas
2.43 GAA 2.10 = Thomas
3 SO 5 = Thomas
(Thomas wins Vezina)

So over that time Thomas has better numbers and two trophies for being the BEST goalie in the NHL and Playoff MVP as well as setting the best SV% ever in the NHL yet he is not as good?

I think it is close to equal but I give the edge to Thomas.

Edit: and don't tell me that one plays more than the other because that means nothing in a 7 game playoffs. I can do the above for playoff stats and I bet it is more in the favor of Thomas

Old
01-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Sheer Con*

^ Not to mention Lundqvist has literally done nothing in the Playoffs, and his stats actually take a big nosedive.

Not considering Thomas the best is absolutely ridiculous, and when you consider the tandem of Thomas/Rask compared to Lundqvist/Biron I don't see how you can give the edge in goaltending to the Rangers.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:22 PM
5 Minute Major

Have to go with the Bruins.

I just don't see any team beating them in a 7 game war.

Old
01-13-2012, 06:28 PM
eco's bones

I expect both teams to go right after each other--so a fight or two or three IMO is likely. A rematch between Lucic and Prust. Thornton-Rupp?

Anyway Bruins have been really smashing teams this year but their games with the Rangers the last couple seasons have been really tight and the Rangers have won the last two season series 3 games to 1.

So for Bruin fans it may be easy but don't count on it.

Old
01-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Bruins pretty easily. Rangers are a REALLY good team this year but Boston knows what it takes to win. I hope they meet in the playoffs.

Old
01-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I view what's happening with the Rangers as some form of senseless streak and they will eventualy crash a wall because they don't have the tools. They remind me of the Habs in 2009 where they finished first in the East while not being close to be the best.

Old
01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I view what's happening with the Rangers as some form of senseless streak and they will eventualy crash a wall because they don't have the tools. They remind me of the Habs in 2009 where they finished first in the East while not being close to be the best.
Rangers may hit a mini-wall but they definitely won't crush and burn. We're a legit top 4 team.

Old
01-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Hugo Sham

As a hab fan the big dog is the Bruins. they are the cup champion and at the top of the East / league standings again - until further notice

Closed Thread