HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread (Part Ten)

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
skg

vCash: 500
Ballard a healthy scratch tonight according to Murph. Hmmm.....

Old
01-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
That's pretty crazy risky alright, tempting however if we don't win the cup, we'll lose basically 4 roster players just like that.

If we are trading Ray, I'd hope to get a guy whose under contract for at least another year.
Ya, definitely super risky.

I'm just operating under the assumption maybe Ballard just needs to go; if he continues to be scratched or play auxiliary minutes his value is only going down, and his contract is horrendous. Apparently the coaching staff think you can replace him with nearly minimum salary players and not have a drop-off. Concerning.

We ditch him at the cost of Raymond, and also acquire two pieces (Ruutu and Gleason) pretty much tailor made for our playoff run (rough, tough, big).

For the record puckmonster, I'm viewing Ruutu as a third liner; I don't think he's a top six player. He is, however; a hard-nosed type with a scoring touch who would give Hodgson two puck-hounds as wingers (Ruutu/Hansen).

Old
01-12-2012, 05:44 PM
thepuckmonster
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra View Post
Yes part 10....now you guys can listen to my rambling and remember this is in the offseason:

You know the more i think about it the more i am comfortable trading luongo. Not because i think schneider is better(still belive lui is) but i belive that with the assets we get from trading lui we would be a better team. If there is truth to the rumor from the start of the year that upper management is undecided which to go and it will depend on the playoffs, assuming lui falters i think he could be moved as we have seen AV and the nucks trust schneider to play the big games as much as they trust lui.

for example here's something i could see being done at the draft

To Tampa Bay:
Luongo
3rd

to Vancouver:
Downie
Connolly

reasons:
tampa: gives up a player in downie who can be replaced in FA and a top prospect to get a top5 goalie in the league

Vancouver: allows them to do the next deal

then after that:

To Nashville:
Connolly
Downie/hansen
Raymond
Ballard (cap purposes)

to canucks
Shea Weber

Reasons:
Nashville: Nashville does this because they get good young forwards in raymond and one of downie/hansen that can contribute to their forward core right away. They also get Connolly who can become a force for them and be a number 1 center in the near future. Ballard i said is a cap dump but if there is one team that can turn around a defensemen i think it would be Nashville

Vancouver: they get the #1 dman that the team is missing for so many years and cap space to help fill out any holes they are missing.

the canucks then have a roster of:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
????-Hodgson-Downie/Hansen
Weise-Lappy-Malhotra

Edler-Weber
Bieska-Hamhuis
Tanev-Salo (assuming no retirement)
Alberts

Schneider
Lack/veteran

So basically with just the two trades we would save about 4million in cap space assuming signing Weber long term at 7million to sign a 3rd line winger and a backup goalie before any cap increase which should be something like 2million

Out
Lui(5.1)
Ballard(4.1)
Raymond(2.5)
Total: 11.7

In
Weber (7)

net gain roughly 4 million
Why would Lu waive his NTC and move from a cup contender to a struggling defensive team? Their main issue isn't just Roloson, it's that their defense is about as sturdy as cheesecloth.

Old
01-12-2012, 05:48 PM
The Vengabus

Hodgson will be traded before Raymond.

Old
01-12-2012, 05:51 PM
thepuckmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vengabus View Post
Hodgson will be traded before Raymond.
I'm willing to bet a lot of money Raymond gets traded before Hodgson.

Old
01-12-2012, 05:55 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Ya, definitely super risky.

I'm just operating under the assumption maybe Ballard just needs to go; if he continues to be scratched or play auxiliary minutes his value is only going down, and his contract is horrendous. Apparently the coaching staff think you can replace him with nearly minimum salary players and not have a drop-off. Concerning.

We ditch him at the cost of Raymond, and also acquire two pieces (Ruutu and Gleason) pretty much tailor made for our playoff run (rough, tough, big).

For the record puckmonster, I'm viewing Ruutu as a third liner; I don't think he's a top six player. He is, however; a hard-nosed type with a scoring touch who would give Hodgson two puck-hounds as wingers (Ruutu/Hansen).
i love tuomo. but he is risky because injury prone. if healthy, he's a smarter, more offensively gifted torres.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:07 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
Ballard a healthy scratch tonight according to Murph. Hmmm.....

Mmmmmmmm I can't see why unless he has a minor injury. He's been great by his standards over the last 15 or so games.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Why would Lu waive his NTC and move from a cup contender to a struggling defensive team? Their main issue isn't just Roloson, it's that their defense is about as sturdy as cheesecloth.
I can think of a few reasons.

1. Maybe he's tired of the constant bashing he gets from portions of this fanbase and media?
2. Tampa may not have a stellar defense but they have a stellar offense. And their goaltending has been a serious issue.
3. Closer to his wife's home.
4. If its the Canucks intention to go with Schneider as their #1, why would he want to stay?

I seriously don't think they are going to trade Luongo (barring an epic meltdown in the playoffs), but TB wouldn't be a bad choice for him if it were to happen.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:17 PM
thepuckmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I can think of a few reasons.

1. Maybe he's tired of the constant bashing he gets from portions of this fanbase and media?
2. Tampa may not have a stellar defense but they have a stellar offense. And their goaltending has been a serious issue.
3. Closer to his wife's home.
4. If its the Canucks intention to go with Schneider as their #1, why would he want to stay?

I seriously don't think they are going to trade Luongo (barring an epic meltdown in the playoffs), but TB wouldn't be a bad choice for him if it were to happen.
Gillis has already gone on record multiple times that he won't ask Bobby Lu to waive his NTC. He earned it, whether many of you believe it or not. If Luongo couldn't deal with the media pressure in Vancouver you can bet that he would have got just as big of a payout from Philly, Tampa, etc at the time. He knew what he was getting into and he still signed for 12 years. If he gets tired of being 1a/1b with Schneider, then maybe, but he's also stated he wants Schneider to succeed in Vancouver and they're a tandem and treat each other as equals.

Edit: That's a collective 'you', not the specific 'you'.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:18 PM
xtra

Quote:
why because all said and done i don't think he wants to be a backup goalie. if he can go back to florida and be close to his wifes family i don't think that he would stay in the way if the canucks made it clear he was the backup to schneider now.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:21 PM
jimmythescot

I would hate to imagine what it would be like on here if Luongo was actually traded to Tampa. A few months of him playing amazing hockey behind a defensive system and everyone would be calling for Gillis' head. Unless he got something ridiculous like Stamkos.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:27 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
I'm willing to bet a lot of money Raymond gets traded before Hodgson.
Yeah, I'd throw down some cash on that as well

Old
01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
thepuckmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
I would hate to imagine what it would be like on here if Luongo was actually traded to Tampa. A few months of him playing amazing hockey behind a defensive system and everyone would be calling for Gillis' head. Unless he got something ridiculous like Stamkos.
No ****. Schneider hasn't played 30+ games in a season yet, and he struggled in that 8th start in a row against Nashville. I don't know if I have faith he can do 50+ starts plus playoffs. Not yet at least.

Give him another year, see how he handles 40 starts and then talk about trading Luongo. For now, Schneider has proven he's good for 25-30 games a season. Luongo has proven he can play 80 games (including playoffs), be a perennial Vezina candidate and Jennings winner. Remember when he was in talks for Conn Smythe? Yeah, you don't trade that.

Keep both, find another way to get Weber. Yes, that includes waiting till he becomes a UFA. If he wants to play for Vancouver, he'll play for Vancouver. He can sign a 1 year in Nashville and then PTFO like Hamhuis did.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Canucker

Quote:
No ****. Schneider hasn't played 30+ games in a season yet, and he struggled in that 8th start in a row against Nashville. I don't know if I have faith he can do 50+ starts plus playoffs. Not yet at least.

Give him another year, see how he handles 40 starts and then talk about trading Luongo. For now, Schneider has proven he's good for 25-30 games a season. Luongo has proven he can play 80 games (including playoffs), be a perennial Vezina candidate and Jennings winner. Remember when he was in talks for Conn Smythe? Yeah, you don't trade that.

Keep both, find another way to get Weber. Yes, that includes waiting till he becomes a UFA. If he wants to play for Vancouver, he'll play for Vancouver. He can sign a 1 year in Nashville and then PTFO like Hamhuis did.
Schneider isn't going to get 40 games with Luongo as the #1, unless he gets injured.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:11 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
This would be the WORST way to aquire Weber.

Nashville would match that in a heartbeat. The best way to aquire Weber, if you're going to try through offersheet, is to make a one year offersheet of 7m/year. This way if Nashville matches, they can NOT trade him next season and then he becomes a UFA at the end of next season and this gives the Canucks the chance to aquire him without giving up assets (Aside from cap room they need to make, but those assets can at least be traded for picks, etc).

If Nashville does not match the Canucks offersheet, which is a VERY reasonable possibility as they could be very scared they would get absolutely nothing if they do match, then they get their draft picks which the Canucks would happily give up.

Giving Weber a 7 year contract offersheet does nothing but guarantee that Weber is a Predator for 7 years.
The same thing could be done to us with Cory Schneider...

01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

I know I've heard people mentioning Moen & Gill. I like the idea of getting these guys because they have Cup rings & add more experience while filling holes in our line up. They are also 2 guys that have gone through battles with the Bruins & I think that would help in case we have to face them again in the SCF.

It would be nice knowing their stats over the past few seasons against the Bruins.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:28 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul View Post
I know I've heard people mentioning Moen & Gill. I like the idea of getting these guys because they have Cup rings & add more experience while filling holes in our line up. They are also 2 guys that have gone through battles with the Bruins & I think that would help in case we have to face them again in the SCF.

It would be nice knowing their stats over the past few seasons against the Bruins.
Career numbers against Boston:

Hal Gill: 32pg 1g 6a 7pts -6
Travis Moen: 19gp 0g 5a 5pts +3

Old
01-12-2012, 07:30 PM
thepuckmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Career numbers against Boston:

Hal Gill: 32pg 1g 6a 7pts -6
Travis Moen: 19gp 0g 5a 5pts +3
I don't know why it matters, if it comes down to the east I think NYR has more skill to get out of it than Boston does. They'll beat the **** out of each other first though.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
David71

does keith ballard still have value to teams who want a offensive dman that could thrive in a different environment? this trade already looks bad on mike gillis.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
does keith ballard still have value to teams who want a offensive dman that could thrive in a different environment? this trade already looks bad on mike gillis.
It sure does...if you have 20/20 hindsight.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:43 PM
thepuckmonster

Ballard most certainly has value. To a team with a glut of injuries in their Top 4 or just a plain lack of Top 4 D talent. Ballard is a good defenseman, he just needs more minutes and an environment in which he can succeed. NYI, Montreal, Columbus, Tampa, Colorado, Carolina, etc. Those teams haven't got a solid top 4 defense right now, and Ballard is likely intriguing to them. Depends what MGs asking price is.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
It sure does...if you have 20/20 hindsight.
There was me and a few other's who were against this trade since day one.

And I have fought many, many battles over this trade with countless of posters, with whom I do not want to ever get into ever again in my life.

Anyways why is Ballard scratched again? injured? or...

Old
01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

If I'm Ballard I'm just about at the end of my rope and quietly asking for for a trade.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
There was me and a few other's who were against this trade since day one.

And I have fought many, many battles over this trade with countless of posters, with whom I do not want to ever get into ever again in my life.

Anyways why is Ballard scratched again? injured? or...
Most people who argued against the trade weren't happy because they liked Grabner, not because they didn't like Ballard. IMO it was the right move, and still is, despite Ballard's place.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:54 PM
thepuckmonster

Grabner wasn't going to try anyway and would have been lost to waivers anyhow. At least we got something for it.

Not all trades pan out, thankfully MG righted the ship with the Booth trade.

Closed Thread