HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread (Part Ten)

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2012, 11:46 PM
DFAC

vCash: 500
Man, I know I'm in the minority here, but I believe CS will one day be a franchise goalie in this league. I'd hold onto him and do anything in my power to try and move Luongo and his massive contract and improve the backend with that capspace.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:47 PM
JerkChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Gillis won't deal Schneider at the deadline, guaranteed. We are going into the playoffs _with_ Schneider. People need to get used to that idea.
Exactly.

At least barring an utterly stupid, mind-blowing, absolutely gross trade offer... which I'm not expecting. Not unless Mike Milbury lands a GM job before the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFAC View Post
Man, I know I'm in the minority here, but I believe CS will one day be a franchise goalie in this league. I'd hold onto him and do anything in my power to try and move Luongo and his massive contract and improve the backend with that capspace.

You may be in the minority...but you're definitely not alone. I'm with ya on that one.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:48 PM
whoshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFAC View Post

The only way I see this happening is if Lu has a meltdown in the playoffs and the Canucks go on to win with Schneider. Only then can Gillis ask Lu if he wants to be traded since he'll probably be a back up to schnieds for the next season.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Tonight was the nail in the coffin for Ballard. It was sad enough that he couldn't get consisten playing time over Alberts and Rome, now Sulzer even appears to be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Keeping Ballard might help MG save some face, but it's terrible asset management. That 4.2 million would be a lot better off using to get some help at the deadline. He needs to trade him. If AV is going to bench Ballard in the playoffs, it becomes bad use of valuable cap space.

Get rid of him now.
My thought exactly. I was pissed to see him scratched tonight. If we aren't gonna use the guy then clear his 4.2mil cap hit right away and use that space to upgrade the roster.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Gillis won't deal Schneider at the deadline, guaranteed. We are going into the playoffs _with_ Schneider. People need to get used to that idea.
"guaranteed"? Wow!

Schneider gets showcased vs. Boston and again against TB, who need a goalie (even though Lu coulda played fla and tb). Gillis announces he's "open for business" and the next day, mckenzie is reporting that several offers have come in for Schneider.

Schneider will be traded-guaranteed!

Old
01-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
My thought exactly. I was pissed to see him scratched tonight. If we aren't gonna use the guy then clear his 4.2mil cap hit right away and use that space to upgrade the roster.
They'll get absolutely nothing back for him, though, so how do you upgrade the roster? It's not like there are UFAs hanging around.

I don't think Vigneault is handling this particularly well from an asset management standpoint, even if it's not really his job.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
"guaranteed"? Wow!

Schneider gets showcased vs. Boston and again against TB, who need a goalie (even though Lu coulda played fla and tb). Gillis announces he's "open for business" and the next day, mckenzie is reporting that several offers have come in for Schneider.

Schneider will be traded-guaranteed!

Don't worry, I'll be on here after the deadline reminding you how off your guarantee was. Offers don't mean anything if MG doesn't want to move him right now. And he shouldn't... He won't. Period.

Book it: They'll play out the year with Schneider and then trade him at the draft.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:58 PM
yoss

My question is why was he a healthy scratch tonight? Not that Sulzer hasn't been playing solid, because i have been satisfied with his play as far as it goes. I honestly didn't even clue in, thought i missed some minor injury or something, hard to keep track of Defenseman injuries. Assumed it was the flu or something like that. Had no idea he was a healthy scratch til i came to the forums after the game.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:02 AM
dingdong

Gotta be honest, I was pissed when Ballard was getting no respect last playoffs, and thought for sure he'd show a whole other side this season, but he's been totally disappointing. Even though he occasionally does something exciting, his passing is subpar, he's barely physical at all, his shot is weak and always wide.... I mean, he just sucks. We need to get someone who's good at one of those aspects to replace him. He's outta here, make no mistake.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:04 AM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
They'll get absolutely nothing back for him, though, so how do you upgrade the roster? It's not like there are UFAs hanging around.

I don't think Vigneault is handling this particularly well from an asset management standpoint, even if it's not really his job.
Getting nothing back for him is a reward in itself. It frees 4.2 million of cap space that the Canucks could use to acquire another defenseman and/or forward without being constrained by the cap.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I dont think 'we' can guarantee anything.

If there is a deal on the table that blows Gillis out of the water, like one you absolutely cant refuse, he'll make it.

That said, I have no idea what this trade would look like.

It's as close as a lock as you're going to get.

Think about it, Schneider is Luongo insurance this year. Either Lu performs, or AV will have no qualms going with Schneider. That's his value to this team on a cup run.

On getting something utterly ridiculous: If some team offers a king's ransom for Schneider, it's a team that sees him as a long-term piece. Such a team will wait to the draft to get the player they want. In other words, you'll get value regardless. It's unlikely that the team that offers major pieces at the deadline later rescinds such an offer at the draft. MG is under no pressure to deal him sooner.

And here's the other big thing: It's unlikely Luongo gets moved instead, but his performance in the playoffs this year will determine his future here. If there are big swings in his play, ala Boston game 3, then it becomes a serious question between keeping Luongo or Schneider. Needless to say, MG won't have that option if Schneider is dealt...

Old
01-13-2012, 12:11 AM
The Big Foot

Luongo has shown over the past month or so that he can still carry a team. Especially one with a commitment to defense. If in fact he is the one to go, whatever team ends up with him will be successful for awhile. He's a really good hockey player. So it better be a good return, not just salary dumps.

Schneider, well I just really don't want him to go. He's definitely a core guy you can build around.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:12 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
It's as close as a lock as you're going to get.

Think about it, Schneider is Luongo insurance this year. Either Lu performs, or AV will have no qualms going with Schneider. That's his value to this team on a cup run.

On getting something utterly ridiculous: If some team offers a king's ransom for Schneider, it's a team that sees him as a long-term piece. Such a team will wait to the draft to get the player they want. In other words, you'll get value regardless. It's unlikely that the team that offers major pieces at the deadline later rescinds such an offer at the draft. MG is under no pressure to deal him sooner.

And here's the other big thing: It's unlikely Luongo gets moved instead, but his performance in the playoffs this year will determine his future here. If there are big swings in his play, ala Boston game 3, then it becomes a serious question between keeping Luongo or Schneider. Needless to say, MG won't have that option if Schneider is dealt...
Oh, I agree with you fully, I dont move him until the draft at the earliest...but we dont know what types of offers are out there....

Old
01-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Hollywood Burrows

He's been given every opportunity this season to find his role on the team. He's failed completely. He is terrible in his own zone. He brings zero offense. I'm trying to remember the last time he got a point shot past the first defender. It's blocked every time.

To me he's a good athlete and a bad hockey player. Poor decision making, basically zero hockey sense.

Gillis is good at recovering when he's made a mistake. He acts quickly and decisively. I'll be pretty surprised if Ballard is still on the team after the trade deadline.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Oh, I agree with you fully, I dont move him until the draft at the earliest...but we dont know what types of offers are out there....

Cool. I think we mostly agree. When rumours were swirling about MG being offered what COL paid for Varlamov, I was surprised he didn't take it. So if we take that as a baseline, then it will take gargantuan return to pry Schneider loose. If he's already rejected that, he'll reject anything similar.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Momesso

Gotta wonder what they were thinking when they scouted him.

Looks terrible considering we gave up on Willie Mitchell for him as well, not to mention the assets in the trade.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:23 AM
YogiCanucks

Schneider + 30th overall for Yukapov.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Getting nothing back for him is a reward in itself. It frees 4.2 million of cap space that the Canucks could use to acquire another defenseman and/or forward without being constrained by the cap.
This isn't the offseason, though. To acquire anything meaningful they're going to have to give up significant assets, whether players or high picks. I'm not sure they'll genuinely be better off giving up a lot of assets for what is likely to be a marginal upgrade on Ballard at best.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:31 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post

Looks terrible considering we gave up on Willie Mitchell for him as well, not to mention the assets in the trade.
To be fair, he was a pretty good defenceman in Florida averaging +20 minutes.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:31 AM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

Trade Suggestion

Hey guys,

Just thought of this now, didn't look up how the cap situation is and how much money these guys make but what do you guys think about this:

To montreal:

- Raymond
- Ballard
- 1st round pick

To vancouver:

- Cole
- Moen
- Gill

We'd be getting back size and tenacity but we'd be giving up some speed but we'd still have guys like kesler, burrows, hansen and higgins up front to provide tons of speed.

Anyways, comments/complaints welcome.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:32 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post

Mitchell hadn't played in how many months?

Besides, you can just as easily say we gave up Mitchell for Hamhuis which is a very big upgrade.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:34 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Cole, Moen, and Gill are probably their heart & soul players and I don't think Pierre Gauthier is THAT dumb (although you never know) to trade them.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

I would do that in a heartbeat... even though I'm not a fan of Cole's contract, he would be a nice replacement for Raymond, and having a guy like Gill instead of Ballard would be sweet, and ofcourse Moen to the 4th line would be nice.

Doubt MTL would do this.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:38 AM
a pony

Gill is probably the worst possibly addition there could be to this team, he makes Alberts and Rome look like track stars.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:39 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
My question is why was he a healthy scratch tonight? Not that Sulzer hasn't been playing solid, because i have been satisfied with his play as far as it goes. I honestly didn't even clue in, thought i missed some minor injury or something, hard to keep track of Defenseman injuries. Assumed it was the flu or something like that. Had no idea he was a healthy scratch til i came to the forums after the game.
My opinion is that AV is still expecting him to change his game to that of a safe no risk bottom pairing dman.

Ballard just doesn't seem to be that guy.

I can understand scratching him because he just isn't a good fit. But with Salo out how do you not at least give him a shot at being a more offensive guy? Give him some leeway and a good partner to work with and let him try to play the way his way. Worst case he gives up the puck too much and doesn't really produce offensively, which is what he does now. Best case he works well with Edler and ends up being a pretty good dman, with some defensive issues. Then you get to stick Salo who is extremely well suited for being that safe bottom 6 guy on the bottom pairing. It improves because Salo is able to cover for his partner better than ballard. Salo gets fewer minutes which is a good thing for him.

Instead he gets scratched after a game where he was even with an assist.

AV wants a Sulzer or Rome. It's pretty clear that he isn't going to accept anything but Ballard turning into that type of dman.

Pretty lousy time for Ballard. Hope he gets traded to a team that is willing to let him play. It's a good thing he seems to be a classy guy, there are players who would have demanded to be traded already (with good reason IMO).

Closed Thread