HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread (Part Ten)

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Skead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsbeaver View Post
and then a pick to montreal for moen and we would be set.
plus we'd have a guy who is a proven scorer in regular, ot, and shoot out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BD6DCyGO2M

Old
01-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
That defense sucks
And keith ballard is the one thing keeping it? Remember, Salo isn't in that line up either because he's injured but we're going to have to replace him too.

I'm just saying Keith Ballard is the only guy removed from that equation and I don't think he's the reason for our good defense.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
And keith ballard is the one thing keeping it? Remember, Salo isn't in that line up either because he's injured but we're going to have to replace him too.

I'm just saying Keith Ballard is the only guy removed from that equation and I don't think he's the reason for our good defense.
I'm saying, forget Parise and focus on defense. I like our forward depth at the moment.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I'm saying, forget Parise and focus on defense. I like our forward depth at the moment.
With Parise we have two first lines, a second line and a solid third line going into the playoffs. This means we likely won't see another 8 goal in 7 game series.

Nuckles
On the IR

vCash: 50
I guess this take Beauchemin off the list of wanted d-men.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1085737

Old
fancouver

Getting Parise makes zero sense, because that means gutting our depth. We need more balance within the line-up, not more scoring.

We need guys who bring a dimension that is lacking on the team, see: Downie.

We need to sacrifice some speed to get some more physical prescence. We already have a guy like Booth and Hansen for the speed.

And another thing we need to focus on is getting a solid, stay-at-home RH type defenceman, see: Schenn.

If we can get these pieces on our team using Raymond, Ballard, prospects and picks, we need to highly consider it.

Right now, this team looks less balanced than last year. Last year we had a #1 defenceman in Ehrhoff and a gritty bruiser in Torres.

Say what you want in Torres, but he singlehandedly took out Thornton and Seabrook.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:55 PM
David71

Take Francois beachimin off the market

Old
01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
David71

Want more scoring depth? Milan hedjuk could be a nice fit

Old
01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I guess this take Beauchemin off the list of wanted d-men.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1085737
Dammit

Old
01-20-2012, 04:02 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I don't see why Gillis should worry about his goaltending more than his team defense or scoring...
At the deadline, team defense is probably the most important.

After the season, it's addressing the goaltending in a cap world and see what his options are.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
At the deadline, team defense is probably the most important.

After the season, it's addressing the goaltending in a cap world and see what his options are.
Goaltending is not a problem on this team, we have a luxury. We will either trade Schneider in the offseason or re-sign him at a cap hit near $3M per season. Our goaltending position will still carry a smaller % of cap allocation than it did a couple years ago when we went with Luongo and Raycroft.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:09 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
With Parise we have two first lines, a second line and a solid third line going into the playoffs. This means we likely won't see another 8 goal in 7 game series.
The plan shouldnt be that we need to score 30 goals while our goalie allows 28

Old
01-20-2012, 04:11 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
The plan shouldnt be that we need to score 30 goals while our goalie allows 28
But what happens if our current top line comes up lame in the playoffs again? The plan also shouldn't be to hope Luongo can carry our team with little offensive support either.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:11 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Goaltending is not a problem on this team, we have a luxury. We will either trade Schneider in the offseason or re-sign him at a cap hit near $3M per season. Our goaltending position will still carry a smaller % of cap allocation than it did a couple years ago when we went with Luongo and Raycroft.
3M and moving Luongo is still around 1.5M in savings when you include a backup. Something that could be used to give Edler a raise or dropping a guy like Ballard + signing a big name player.

It's something they're going to have to look at. We also dont know if the cap is going to drop given that the current CBA expires.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:13 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
But what happens if our current top line comes up lame in the playoffs again? The plan also shouldn't be to hope Luongo can carry our team with little offensive support either.
That's the thing. We need to shore up the D. Having Ehrhoff back there trying to play defense was a joke. Especially with a bum shoulder. Hamhuis went down as well. Depth is required and another 20-25min horse. It easier to defend than score. I think rolling the dice on things such as chemistry between players to score goals is high risk at the deadline.

I'd rather have that than a guy like Parise.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
3M and moving Luongo is still around 1.5M in savings when you include a backup. Something that could be used to give Edler a raise or dropping a guy like Ballard + signing a big name player.

It's something they're going to have to look at. We also dont know if the cap is going to drop given that the current CBA expires.
Moving Luongo shouldn't be an option unless we are exploring moving a couple of our other vets too.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Skead

Quote:
Moving Luongo shouldn't be an option unless we are exploring moving a couple of our other vets too.
Not to mention I've never heard Mike Gillis ask or move a player with a NTC/NMC.
It just doesn't seem his style.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:17 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
If you're suggesting that without Luongo, the Canucks may as well go into a rebuild I strongly disagree. He's not "the franchise". Far from it actually.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:19 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
If you're suggesting that without Luongo, the Canucks may as well go into a rebuild I strongly disagree. He's not "the franchise". Far from it actually.
We have TWO "franchise" forwards who dominated the regular season yet no-showed the SCF. Everyone talks about Luongo but doesn't hold our offense accountable. Offense was our problem, not goaltending.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:19 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Not to mention I've never heard Mike Gillis ask or move a player with a NTC/NMC.
If Gillis has a move that will make the team better but won't even consider asking a player to waive his NTC in order to project a veneer of player friendliness, then he's not doing his job.

Obviously there are different ways to handle it. As long as it was done with the utmost respect and completely behind closed doors (i.e. if the player doesn't want to waive the public never hears about it) and with no pressure on the player, then it's something he has to consider.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Skead

Quote:
No he's not, but it's on the record that Him, the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, and Salo are the core of the team. That was said before Hamhuis but I'm sure him and a few others would be added.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:21 PM
hlrsr

I don't think it's possible (with a deal in mind) to ask a player to waive his NTC with no pressure.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Mike Gillis may not have to ask. If Luongo is even perceived as having a meltdown people will be all over him. The people on Luongo's side get smaller with every failure, wether it's his fault or not. He might get tired of the constant media and fan bashing and want out on his own.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
If Gillis has a move that will make the team better but won't even consider asking a player to waive his NTC in order to project a veneer of player friendliness, then he's not doing his job.

Obviously there are different ways to handle it. As long as it was done with the utmost respect and completely behind closed doors (i.e. if the player doesn't want to waive the public never hears about it) and with no pressure on the player, then it's something he has to consider.
Q. You’ve seen how other GMs have dealt with players with no-trade clauses. How have you and how might you do things differently in discussions with those players at this time of the season?

MIKE GILLIS: Well, you know, having been on the player’s side for a number of years, I know that there is a quid pro quo that goes along with no-trade or no-movement clauses. The players are making a commitment to that city and team for a variety of reasons. There’s a price to be paid for that commitment and the security of not moving.

My philosophy has always been not to waive a no-trade clause. If a player comes to us and is dissatisfied or feels they might have a better opportunity elsewhere, obviously we would listen and try to accommodate those wishes.

But I am not going to ask a player to waive a no-trade. If we felt that there was dissatisfaction on the player’s part, we would perhaps discuss what his wishes would be. But that would be the extent of it.

Old
01-20-2012, 04:26 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
His contract is.

Gillis, the lawyer, honours nothing more than a contract he signed himself.
I think if Gillis could change one thing. He'd do that. More than the Ballard trade.

Closed Thread