HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

I'm very much looking forward to this coming hockey season

Old
07-03-2011, 05:34 PM
the doctor

vCash: 500
I'm very much looking forward to this coming hockey season

I'm kind of an old guy I guess when compared against what I think is the average poster age here. I haven't felt anticipation like I do for this coming year in quite a few years.

For sure I was curious as to what Kovalev and other such UFA signings were going to do but it's the young guys that I think are going to thrill us this year. We haven't seen this kind of potential in the young kids for a long time now, probably since the second year Martin coached here.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing all the kids push for jobs. Do I think all of them will thrill or that we will be contenders, not a chance. But I do predict that we have enough young talent assembled now to give us a good show, at least two of the kids are going to have big development years.

I wouldn't call myself the biggest of Murray fans, but I like what he's done here with the accumulation of youth.

Just my two cents, but I think we are going to see an entertaining year with a hint of what's to come in the future.

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Philadelphia Collins

The next couple of years is going to be fun to watch, hell even after trading some of the vets last year and watching the younger guys play was more exciting than seeing Kovalev float through 70+ games. Watching Filatov get a chance with Spezza in the top-6 will be a treat, and watching Cowen and (hopefully) Rundblad develop is gonna rule

Even if they crash and burn this season and end up a lottery team, the 2012 draft class will soften the blow

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:34 PM
the doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post
Even if they crash and burn this season and end up a lottery team, the 2012 draft class will soften the blow
Obviously no one else agrees and I get that. I know full well what they compare opinions with, everyone has one. I don't think this will be a lottery team. I think we are in for a treat/surprise and just wanted to get my opinion out there now instead of when it's happening.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
The King of Town

I agree with you, doctor.

I'm a season ticket holder and have been for a few years, and if it hadn't been for the last 2 months of the season last year, I don't think I would have renewed. The last two months were fun to watch again. They played with enthusiasm. They played for each other. They were a team. I'd almost forgotten what that was like.

It helped not to have to watch # 27 out there.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:15 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Young players will WOW us

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:29 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
I don't expect much from this coming season. The kids we just drafted are all years away. Even Zibanejad in all likelyhood.

This organization learned the hard way with Daigle. They sent Hossa back to Portland when he was easily one of the best players in camp. They've sent Cowen back to jr. twice now, and he'll probably at least start the year in the A.

Karlsson went back to the SEL and did his minor league time. Same story for Rundblad.

You can go back to Havlat and Spezza too. I think the last 18 year old to make the team was Mike Fisher.

We don't rush prospects.

We have a largely AHL calibre roster, and a couple of NCAA hopefulls. Next year isn't going to be pretty.

Our future looks good now, and after next year's draft it will surely look even better, but we are in year 1 of a rebuild.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 06:31 PM
the doctor

I'm not bumping this thread to suggest anything, because I know for a fact a few others here started similar threads.

I'm bumping this thread because of an interview I heard with Dean Brown on The Team yesterday. They were discussing the nice first half for the Sens and how all the pundits were way off. Dean then said how he had picked them as a lottery team too. He then said "I defy you to find Anybody that didn't pick them as a lottery team".

I know there were others that didn't and I would have bumped their threads but I couldn't remember who. I just find it interesting how the media is shocked just because they were wrong.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

I'm sure I made a prediction thread at one point...too lazy to find it. I think I was Ottawa's biggest advocate over the summer. I was ridiculed for it a lot. Oh well. I'm just glad they're doing well.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:00 PM
sensR4real

John Holmes were you wrong.!! I and many others believed.....never stop believing...
Next year isn't goingto be pretty???? Thanks for bringing back this old post guys, I needed a good laugh....GO SENS GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I don't expect much from this coming season. The kids we just drafted are all years away. Even Zibanejad in all likelyhood.

This organization learned the hard way with Daigle. They sent Hossa back to Portland when he was easily one of the best players in camp. They've sent Cowen back to jr. twice now, and he'll probably at least start the year in the A.

Karlsson went back to the SEL and did his minor league time. Same story for Rundblad.

You can go back to Havlat and Spezza too. I think the last 18 year old to make the team was Mike Fisher.

We don't rush prospects.

We have a largely AHL calibre roster, and a couple of NCAA hopefulls. Next year isn't going to be pretty.

Our future looks good now, and after next year's draft it will surely look even better, but we are in year 1 of a rebuild.

sensR4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I think I was Ottawa's biggest advocate over the summer.
Yes, but did you put your money where your mouth was?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=969667

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote