HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predator Special Teams

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2004, 12:59 PM
nine_inch_fang

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I would think Legwand should be on the first pk unit playing on the backside. With his size and back-checking ability he should be able to tie up the high-slot better. Itís hard to watch Walks and Sully out there together because I just get this feeling if they donít intercept a pass the puck will go straight to the slot where the opponent will be covered but not tied up good enough to stop the shot.

Did they use Orszagh on the strong side for the quick pressuring of the puck and Leggy back side for covering the high slot when they were paired together last year?

Again sink or swim for Legwand this year.

Old
10-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Pred303

the best i remember fangs,they played leggy on the left side as the primary chaser and orszagh on the right most of the time those two were out there...but i have to admit i cann't see it in my mind exactly who played where between the two of them..but you would think if he was paired with johnson he would take the right point and let johnson do the chasing at the left point

....one thing that some people consider(or used to)about who plays where out front on the pk is whether you were a righty or lefty...used to be,teams talked about wanting forwards sticks to be in the middle to cover better(i.e.left hander playing the right side and a righthander on the left side)with the idea to take away the center and force action to the outside,but i never hear that talked about anymore

Last edited by Pred303: 10-20-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old
10-21-2004, 10:17 AM
nine_inch_fang

Would it make sense to use a rangy back-checker on the backside or is there a flaw in that strategy?

I would think this would be good because that person could cover both the point man as the puck is passed cross ice and a roving forward that is trying to sneak into the slot.

Old
10-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Pred303

of course that makes sense...the other things you're looking for in pk forwards in our high pressure system has to be that anyone we put out there can be an aggressive forechecker to pressure down ice and a good backchecker because of the high slot territory our large box leaves open oftentimes...so speed and quickness of course is the first priority in the our pk system...leggy,johnson,walks,sully,orszagh all fit this description you would think

Old
10-21-2004, 12:11 PM
nine_inch_fang

If and when the NHL starts back up will Trotz put Leggy on the ice more? This kid should get the most minutes of any forward we have. I would think around 20-21 minutes/game.

Legwand has to be our best forward this year. He should center the top line even strength and on the pp. David ranked 55th in the league for centers in pp time/game last year and 43rd at even strength. Seeing that there are only 30 teams in the league these numbers seem low for our first #1 pick.

Rem Murray was our best pker but since we donít have that option anymore imo Legwand is the next best option. What other forward do we have that has his reach, skating ability, and defensive smarts. To me itís almost a no-brainer. I really think this would help our pk numbers from last year. For comparison David ranked 137th in pk time/game, which seams strange if he is our best two-way forward and our #1 center.

This is Davidís year. We now have the talent and depth to compliment him plus he now has a full 5 years of experience. Itís time to feed him to the wolves. If he doesnít survive then we know what we have, but if he does, I shudder to think.

Any thoughts?

Old
10-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Pred303

i agree with your points completely fangs...now since i think trotz has demonstrated he's going to roll all four lines even strength(then going 1-2 heavy in the 3rd),i'm guessing a breakdown that'll look something like 14-12-10-8 even strength minutes per line...then you figure an average of 8 pp minutes,8 pk minutes per game(we have always averaged slightly more than 4 pp and pk per game)...so it's reasonable if you're a forward on the first line and the pp and the pk you would log about 20-22 average minutes...personally i hope they throw sully-leggy-walks out there 20 minutes a game and see what happens

Old
10-21-2004, 01:14 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
i agree with your points completely fangs...now since i think trotz has demonstrated he's going to roll all four lines even strength(then going 1-2 heavy in the 3rd),i'm guessing a breakdown that'll look something like 14-12-10-8 even strength minutes per line...then you figure an average of 8 pp minutes,8 pk minutes per game(we have always averaged slightly more than 4 pp and pk per game)...so it's reasonable if you're a forward on the first line and the pp and the pk you would log about 20-22 average minutes...personally i hope they throw sully-leggy-walks out there 20 minutes a game and see what happens
anyone else think that an erat-leggy-sully 1st line would be a good one??? you've got marty who can really work the corners and has good passing skills, you've got sully who has a goal scoring touch and leggy who has above average offensive instincts and excellent defense. Plus you have 3 speedy players on one line. only problem is maybe a slight lack of grit

Old
10-21-2004, 01:25 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
anyone else think that an erat-leggy-sully 1st line would be a good one??? you've got marty who can really work the corners and has good passing skills, you've got sully who has a goal scoring touch and leggy who has above average offensive instincts and excellent defense. Plus you have 3 speedy players on one line. only problem is maybe a slight lack of grit
Well I can see Marty dancing behind the net or in the corner with the puck waiting for the opportunity to get the puck to Leggy or Sully.

*where is the smiley that drools?*

Old
10-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Pred303

i have to admit i tend to always think of lines that are balanced....a puckhandler(playmaker),a speedy forward(scorer), and a banger(grinder)....

so don't shoot me here,this is assuming many unknowable things like 1)we don't sign another centerman 2)arkhipov gets another chance 3)hall and erat return 4)none of the rookie forwards make the case 'hey i have to start'

i see two possible answers then

1)sully-leggy-walks
2)harts-johnson-hall
3)erat-arky-orszagh

or to try to get depth to each line;

1)harts-leggy-sully
2)erat-johnson-walks
3)orszagh-arky-hall(i've always thought arky would make a better winger than center with his speed and wrister)so could go say arky-hall-orszagh(but it won't)

then you have the scenario where one of the left wingers upshall..or shishkanov...or pivko...or gamache makes the squad...and arky doesn't...AND hall is put fulltime at center

harts-leggy-sully
erat-johnson-walks
(insert rookie LW of your choice)-hall-orszagh

:lol of course this is impossible to know how it will play out

Old
10-22-2004, 08:42 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Hello! First post for me... been lurking almost a week to get a feel for the boards. This thread is specifically in regards to the special teams, but I have a question that relates to specific players and how you all think it might affect the line ups (special teams or even strength).

Last season everyone came to think of Scott Walker as the heart and soul of the Preds (or maybe even in other seasons, but last season that phrase was passed around so much for him). Some were a little peeved at his playing mouth for the NHLPA and even mentioning how contraction, while not the best idea, was still a possibility for viability for the league.

And then one of the people in management for the Preds said that some vets wouldn't be returning. At the time, the rumor was Hall and Erat because they hadn't yet signed with the Preds and were considering overseas options. Those two I guess make for a different situation as we have their rights for a couple more years, right? So IF they want to return after the lockout, they have to sign with us. So my question is, what if one of the vets being referred to by management included Scott Walker? I'm not saying that's so, but how could that affect our line ups?

Please forgive me if I have posed the question OT on this thread, but it is a concern that's been growing on me for a couple of weeks. Thanks!

--qm29

Old
10-22-2004, 09:03 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

First, I lets all agree that Walker will not be traded, this is all indeed hypothetical.

Ok, I'd guess his return would bring in a top line center, couple this with bringing up a top line winger like Shishkanov to score some more goals (along with the top line center)

Old
10-22-2004, 09:06 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Walker just signed a 3 year deal worth 2 million per. The only way we let him go is if we trade him, and since he just came off his best year......we would get quite a bit in return. Still, I seriously doubt Walker is even considered to be traded. I think the people the quote was referring to were players like York and AJ.

10-22-2004, 09:09 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Yah... I suppose that is accurate (York and AJ). I am just worried is all.

--qm29

Old
10-22-2004, 09:19 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
Yah... I suppose that is accurate (York and AJ). I am just worried is all.

--qm29
scott walker is arguably my favorite player to ever step foot on the ice. but being hypothetical triggs is right. walker's return right now would be VERY high. I mean he's got grit, heart, leadership, plays good D, can drop the gloves if need be, never takes a shift off, and can chip in 50+ points to boot. what team wouldn't want a guy like that??? plus he just came off his best season to date. now, being realistic the chance of him being traded is pretty low. I'd say the only people LESS likely to be traded than walks are hartnell and vokoun. I wouldn't worry too much. besides we have to have a season first, don't we?

Old
10-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Pred303

let me preface this and say no i don't think walks is being considered being traded and lord no i hope he isn't...but trades are always fun to speculate on,trying to get inside gm's heads....and remember large trades of a team's best players are never "expected"..they cann't be anticipated obviously

but just wargaming this all out in your head...
1)we all know we have a huge need for a true 1st-2nd line centerman
2)we have an abundance of natural rightwingers,it's our deepest natural position by far....sully,walks,hall,orszagh,tootoo...so moving a rightwinger is certainly in the realm of possibility(now most will argue that this is what makes orszagh the most tradeable of the 5 listed here)
3)for the first time in our history we go into a season with 6 men capable(and almost expected) of scoring 20 goals apiece(walks,sully,hartnell,leggy,erat,orszagh)... so offensively we are in better shape then ever before to make deals
4)walks is getting older,the second oldest player on the roster now in fact(behind johnson)...
5)walks has two years left on his contract which makes him actually more attractive to other teams
6)IF walks could be traded for a true,younger 20 goal/60 pt.+ type scoring 1st line proven centerman(not many of these available,admittedly) AND you thought Upshall/Pivko/Shishkanov were ready to step in and start on a top 3 line LW position and contirbute in a big way you would think it could make sense

high risk certainly,because of how invaluable walks is to this team....with the veteran leadership this young team needs and how versatile walks is you just think this is highly unlikely

not impossible,just highly unlikely

Last edited by Pred303: 10-22-2004 at 10:55 AM.
Closed Thread