HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Devils and Capitals trade idea

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Jasper17

vCash: 500
Devils and Capitals trade idea

To Washington
Scott Gomez

To New Jersey
Jeff Halpern
2nd RD Pick

My thinking here is that the Caps really need a playmaking center. And I remember hearing some rumors that the Devils may be willing to move Gomez and make room for another playmaking center in Parise.

I would think Jersey would be interested in Halpern because of how well he and Langenbrunner (along with Kono who is a UFA) played together in the World Cup.

The major problems in this deal are that the Caps would hate to have to trade Halpern as he is a fan favorite. And that the Devils would prob want a physical defensman in return for Gomez more than a center. Witt would be a good option to go, but I don't think the Caps are in any shape to be trading away defensman.

at least it will give us something to talk about for a minute or two what does everyone think?

Old
10-08-2004, 10:03 PM
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes

Oh boy...look out here comes a bombshell

Old
10-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Brodeur

We got Madden locked up longterm now, and the Devils' forwards are somewhat offensively challenged so we probably don't need to trade our top center for a checking line center. You'd probably see Kozlov or Friesen traded before Gomez at this point.

Anybody who thinks Parise is already making Gomez expendable probably spends a little too much time on the prospects board.

Old
10-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
We got Madden locked up longterm now, and the Devils' forwards are somewhat offensively challenged so we probably don't need to trade our top center for a checking line center. You'd probably see Kozlov or Friesen traded before Gomez at this point.

Anybody who thinks Parise is already making Gomez expendable probably spends a little too much time on the prospects board.
Don't get me wrong, i don't think any rookie can come in an take the place of a teams top and really only offensive center. To be honest I don't agree with the idea of trading Gomez now or when Parise is an NHL regular.

That being said I can't be the only person on the board who has heard the Gomez trade rumors.

Old
10-08-2004, 11:26 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

...and why would NJ would make this trade?

Points to consider:

- his performance last season?
- his performance in the 2nd half?
- who does he play with?
- how many points did he end up getting?
- where did he finish in the scoring leader board?
- where did he finish in the assists leader board?
- how old is he again?

Now think again...and why would NJ would make this trade?

Old
10-09-2004, 06:41 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Resounding and definite NO.

Old
10-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Sykie

Send a message via ICQ to Sykie
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
...and why would NJ would make this trade?

Points to consider:

- his performance last season?
- his performance in the 2nd half?
- who does he play with?
- how many points did he end up getting?
- where did he finish in the scoring leader board?
- where did he finish in the assists leader board?
- how old is he again?

Now think again...and why would NJ would make this trade?

They wouldn't.

I'm not a great fan of Gomez, and I like Halpern but really, the Devils need offensive talent, not defensive forwards. Not a chance they would make that deal.

Old
10-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Resounding and definite NO.
I second that. Right now in terms of trade value:

Gomez>>>>Halpern

Old
10-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

That trade proposal is bloody terrible for the Devils, and I'm a Caps fan. Gomez is a #1 center, is younger than Halpern, and is about twice as productive. On top of that, the Devils already have a much better version of Halpern in Madden. What they do not have is a player with the skill set to replace Gomez... not until Parise spends a couple of seasons maturing.

Lamoriello probably intends to bring his payroll down (though a year-long lockout will take care of some of those one-year contracts all on its own) but he will get full value for whatever player(s) he elects to deal. This does not fall into that category.

Incidentally, Colorado re-signed Konowalchuk to a three-year contract on June 17, 2004.

Old
10-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Trottier
Very Random

A younger first-line center (and yes, anyone who leads the league in assists and gets first-line minutes on a Cup team is a certifiable first-line center) for a third-line center? On the belief that totally unoproven kids (Parise, etc.) will step in and fill the role? That's called: deconstructing a Cup contender in no time!

Sidenote: why is it that in every "homer" trade proposal here, the home team is always "evening" out the deal with a 2nd rounder? Ever notice that? Rarely does anyone dare offer a 1st rounder.

Regardless, even with a #1 in this deal instead of a 2nd rounder, it would still be a steal for Washington.

Not ripping the original poster here, but even if Gomez were tradebait, at his relatively respectable contract, and given his resume/age, he would command much more in a return.

Key to a good trade offer: you (your team) has to feel at least some pain. There's none here for Washington, whatsoever.

Old
10-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
A younger first-line center (and yes, anyone who leads the league in assists and gets first-line minutes on a Cup team is a certifiable first-line center) for a third-line center? On the belief that totally unoproven kids (Parise, etc.) will step in and fill the role? That's called: deconstructing a Cup contender in no time!

Sidenote: why is it that in every "homer" trade proposal here, the home team is always "evening" out the deal with a 2nd rounder? Ever notice that? Rarely does anyone dare offer a 1st rounder.

Regardless, even with a #1 in this deal instead of a 2nd rounder, it would still be a steal for Washington.

Not ripping the original poster here, but even if Gomez were tradebait, at his relatively respectable contract, and given his resume/age, he would command much more in a return.

Key to a good trade offer: you (your team) has to feel at least some pain. There's none here for Washington, whatsoever.
I wouldn't say there is NO pain for Washington here, as Halpern is a pretty decent player for what he does. But, it is clearly a ridiculously one-sided deal.

Old
10-09-2004, 07:19 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
there's quite a few juicy young players i'd like to get my hands on if i was to deal gomez to washington, and one of those guys is semin

Old
10-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

That sounds reasonable. While Washington probably wouldn't deal Semin, a young player like that is the value of a dynamic, young, legitimate 70- to 80-point center in the NHL today like Gomez.

Old
10-09-2004, 07:52 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
That sounds reasonable. While Washington probably wouldn't deal Semin, a young player like that is the value of a dynamic, young, legitimate 70- to 80-point center in the NHL today like Gomez.
If the Caps were in the position to sacrifice the future for a Cup run, Semin for Gomez would be an equitable deal. But they aren't, they're rebuilding and have every reason to keep the guy w/the upside.

Semin has the talent to be an elite goal scorer/playmaker.

Gomez is a good 2nd-line center. He's scored 10, 13, and 14 goals his last three seasons;- on very good hockey teams at that.

Old
10-09-2004, 08:04 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i should have said that i'd want more than just simply semin, and i'd have to be offered far more to move gomez off the devils roster..

Old
10-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
If the Caps were in the position to sacrifice the future for a Cup run, Semin for Gomez would be an equitable deal. But they aren't, they're rebuilding and have every reason to keep the guy w/the upside.

Gomez is a good 2nd-line center. He's scored 10, 13, and 14 goals his last three seasons;- on very good hockey teams at that.
Jeez, you make it seem like Gomez is 35.

Old
10-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Jeez, you make it seem like Gomez is 35.
Yeah really. Heads up people - Scott Gomez is 23!!!! He is the future!
Semin is only three years younger. 23 is damned young... especially for a proven 70 point center!

Last edited by Classic Devil: 10-09-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old
10-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:

Take off the homer glasses man. I'd trade Semin for Gomez any day of the week. I agree that Semin has the higher upside, but he also has several obstacles to reaching his potential.

Old
10-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Though rumors persist that the Devils might move Gomez, I can't for the life of me think of a single reason why Lamoriello would in fact do such a thing. He has no young center of Gomez' abilities right now. In a few years, he may with Zach Parise, but the kid will need time. Gomez brings such a rare mix of talent, proven production and youth that I can't think of too many players they could get back in exchange to replace him down the middle.

Knocking Gomez for his goal scoring is baloney. The kid's a 50-assist man. That's #1 center material there. Not all top centers are goal scorers.

Old
10-09-2004, 11:36 PM
GoM

I think Lou and George would be burned at the stake for that...

Washington trading Halpern, to me, is almost as unthinkable as trading Bondra was...

And why in the blue hell would NJ trade Gomez

Old
10-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Yeah really. Heads up people - Scott Gomez is 23!!!! He is the future!
Semin is only three years younger. 23 is damned young... especially for a proven 70 point center!
True, and not to belabor a point, but Gomez is a good "second line center"? No way.

In the NHL of yesteryear, where many guys averaged 100 points, perhaps. (If he remained at his points totals.)

Gomez is a second line center on an all-star (or fantasy league) team, only. Not on many NHL teams. Certainly not on one we can all name which has won the Cup with him getting major minutes.

Darth - You are 100% correct. Halpern is a solid player, so the Caps would, in fact, be feeling some pain. But not nearly enough, as you seemingly agree!

Last edited by Trottier: 10-10-2004 at 02:23 AM.
Old
10-10-2004, 03:11 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative
Take off the homer glasses man. I'd trade Semin for Gomez any day of the week. I agree that Semin has the higher upside, but he also has several obstacles to reaching his potential.
I don't mean to diminish Gomez and I know this can come off as pious or homeristic. I'm just saying he's not what I'd consider a top 15-20 1st line centerman, a top assist guy, or a good goal scorer. He's been on some Stanley Cup caliber teams as well. I realize he's young and he's a great team guy, and leader, and a big part of that Devils team.

I'm of the opinion that both Washington and New Jersey are better off standing w/what they have. I believe Semin has more talent at 20 than Gomez at 23, and despite the natural obstacles, he has what looks to be a very bright future w/Ovechkin. At times last year he looked better than Jagr, and that's hard to do, even when Jaromir took nights off. He's the most skilled forward to come through the Caps system since Bondra and an elite talent. He's not perfect, but I haven't seen better hands on a player that age.

It's all premature, but that's just my take.

Old
10-10-2004, 05:11 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
I'm just saying he's not what I'd consider a top 15-20 1st line centerman, a top assist guy, or a good goal scorer.
Not a top assist guy? Yet Semin has elite goal scoring skills? Congratulations, you've taken homerism to a brand new level.

Old
10-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Not a top assist guy? Yet Semin has elite goal scoring skills? Congratulations, you've taken homerism to a brand new level.
Yeah really. He only led the league in assists. How is he not a top assist guy?
Name 15-20 centers better than Gomez, please.

Old
10-10-2004, 09:33 AM
DownFromNJ

Quote:
First off, Gomez scored 19 his rookie year. He also has led the league in assists, and was the top point scorer during the second half last year... at 23.

I wouldn't trade Gomez for Semin either. Semin has the potential to be where Gomez already is. Gomez isn't slowing down either. I've already predicted that if the EGG line stays uninjured, Gomez and Elias both contend for the Art Ross.

Closed Thread