HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In your opinion : is Montreal now a better or a worse team?

Old
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
I guess the Cammy lovers were hiding the last few months, and cancelled hibernation to defend the majesty.

Has someone stated above, Bourque will be a more useful player. Why? because cammy was useless.

Simple.
I thought Cammy actually had negative value because of the salalry, and his brutal play...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

No different. We are still a piss poor team. And with Gauthier at the helm, no changes for the better are coming.

The only difference is that if Gauthier had waited a month for the deadline, we probably would have gotten a pick for this year instead of next and probably would not have been saddled with another team's problem child.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:22 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No different. We are still a piss poor team. And with Gauthier at the helm, no changes for the better are coming.

The only difference is that if Gauthier had waited a month for the deadline, we probably would have gotten a pick for this year instead of next and probably would not have been saddled with another team's problem child.
Which are Bourque's problems ? Is he alcoholic or on drugs ?

I think playing away from Alberta and the Flames will be good for him.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Price My Man Crush

In my opinion, I think that we do not have a better team when we talk on short term.

Of course, PG has saved 3m on the cap space but does it makes us a better team? No.
We need to see what Rene Bourque will do with the Habs before talking about if we have a better/worse team. Furthermore, I would like to see Bourque stats in playoffs.

But there's this second round pick and Patrick Holland. I don't know much about him but a second round pick is great. Three choices in the top 50 in 2013?

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Hilarious re: people complaining about PG buying high and selling low.

Halak - traded at the absolute peak of his career (people complained)
--
Kaberle - acquired at the lowest point in his career - yet people still complain despite his producing at almost a 50ppg pace
Bourque - acquired when his value has been the lowest - better numbers than Cammalleri for the past 3 seasons.
Eller - Acquired before he was able to show his value. (people complained that though we won the trade, Eller still wasn't enough of a return)
Cole - Acquired for nothing.
Pretty cleverly selective list of PG's transactions to date. Also demonstrates your asset evaluation "ability", if I'm honest. How exactly is Bourque's value the lowest it has ever been, btw? He just garnered Cammalleri as a return. And as much as Eller has begun to show hints of becoming a good player, in effect a goalie "at the peak of his career" was exchange for a "potential top 6" player who may not even score 15 goals at any point during the contract he was signed to.

And I mean, let's also forget about the number of 2nd round draft picks that have been used to acquire a few months out of some guys that ended up being rentals (but could probably still find a role on this team above some players in the current roster). In any event, there are certainly enough examples to at least use the expression loosely without such resistance from posters like yourself.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
habitue*

We will have a better team next season.

Lots of heavy clean up still to make, at every level of the organization.

Youth and more size are the way to go.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Think again. We signed Cammy as a UFA. We bought him for no assets. Try again.
Hmmm.

So if your company gives you some stock at a value of $30 per share and then the stock drops to $5 per share on bad news, you panic and immediately sell that stock. And 6 months later the stock rises back to $30. But you are OK with that since it was "granted" to you?

Maybe you should try again.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:07 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I don't think this trade makes the team better or worse. It may make it worse. While Cammalleri and Bourque have similar numbers I'm not really sure what "system" Calgary plays. And let's face it there are some nice playmakers on that team like Iginla and Tanguay.

Cammalleri was in a defensive system without the same type of playmakers. I guess I'll just wait to see what Bourque can do in Montreal. The cap space is nice.

Gauthier's comment that it's time to "get bigger players" is mystifying. I mean this man has been in the organization for how long?

When will he get the message that a booming shot from the point can be very useful? I mean he watched Souray, Streit, Wiz, MAB, Schneider. He saw what they did for a struggling powerplay. So the Habs end up with Kaberle.

When will he get the message that it may be wise to sign a top 4 d-man to an injury prone defense. That's been going on for the last four years.

He's still here so I don't think the team is better or worse and I don't know the direction it's even going.

He decided he wants a bigger team. I can appreciate that. Why not wait until the end of the year and until after the coaching issue is resolved to determine which big players to acquire.

PG apparently hasn't thrown in the towel so I'm a little fearful of what's going to happen next.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Dustermurphystyle

Hey folks, this is coming from a guy who probably doesn't know what he's talking about. Anywho, I like where this team is going, if we can plummet for the rest of the reason, and get a top-5 pick, i think we would be sitting real pretty for the next season. Hear me out, scope a forward in the draft, lose some of the deadweight on this team (aka kabs and the hispanic guy) and then we would be looking young, and dangerous again.

Dustermurphystyle is offline   Reply With Quote