HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WolfPack Close to Signing Hamilton

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

vCash: 500
WolfPack Close to Signing Hamilton

http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hockey/h...adlines-hockey

Quote:
With Rangers general manager Glen Sather looking on, the Pack finished the exhibition season 3-0 and are said to be close to signing Hamilton. A right wing, Hamilton scored 43 goals, including a league-record 15 game-winners, despite missing 13 games with an eye injury.

Hamilton, Yale's career scoring leader, reportedly was offered a six-figure contract from the Islanders but was holding out for $200,000 after two seasons with the Tigers. He was in the Pack's training camp in 2001 before signing with Karpat Oulu in Finland.
Jeff Hamilton is 27 years old and 5'10'' 180 lbs. Does anyone not like this move? I mean we could certainly bump a useless on the second line Craig Weller for this guy, but is there no room? Garth Murray is out with an injury, Helminen is out right now also. Murray is a definate stay in HFD, but is going from Michigan to the ECHL a big downgrade for him? I wouldnt mind it if he wasnt ready for the AHL though.

Charlotte really should be stacked if Hamilton does get signed. Cullen, Lawson, Helminen, Falardeau, Cuthbert, Stals, Liffiton, Taylor, and Pock if they go with the preseason roster.

And Gernander has a spot when he returns. Yeesh, too much depth.

Old
10-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Fish

Actually yesterday I was commenting somewhere about the lack of scoring depth on the right wing. You really have Balej, Ortmeyer, Gernander and Weller as your right wings now...

If they sign him in favor of Henrich then I think we're square in terms of roster spots...and if the AHL does go to a 20 man starting roster then there again will be less pressure.

It's not the perfect scenario, but I'm not particularly against it if it means that some of the other players get to win a few more games and gain a little more confidence.

If anything, I think it puts more pressure on guys like Weller, Ulmer, Stals and Falardeau to pick up their game. I only expect Ulmer to stay with the Pack to start the season.

Old
10-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Kubera55

Ugh.

What does is say that the Rangers are considering paying more than $200,000 for a 27-year-old career minor leaguer and they weren't willing to pick up some extra insurance for 23-year-old Jamie Lundmark?

Nothing good I suspect.

Old
10-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera55
Ugh.

What does is say that the Rangers are considering paying more than $200,000 for a 27-year-old career minor leaguer and they weren't willing to pick up some extra insurance for 23-year-old Jamie Lundmark?

Nothing good I suspect.
I guess its a matter of assets. Lundmark is someone they were gonna have no matter if they paid the insurance or not.

If you dont pay this Hamilton guy, its safe to say you wont have him playing for you now or ever. So what, get an asset if you can. lol.

Old
10-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Kubera55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
I guess its a matter of assets. Lundmark is someone they were gonna have no matter if they paid the insurance or not.

If you dont pay this Hamilton guy, its safe to say you wont have him playing for you now or ever. So what, get an asset if you can. lol.
*chuckle* I suppose . . . but a 27-year-old asset during a lockout with size issues?

Jamie Lundmark looks like Bill Guerin compared to the dimunitive Hamilton, and by the time the lockout is over, Hamilton could be nearly 30.

Old
10-10-2004, 10:15 AM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
* and by the time the lockout is over, Hamilton could be nearly 30.

u arent serious are u? cause if so there are some issues u need to take care of. imo.

people act like this is some big government issue, its a stupid 8union contract where one will give in adventually with in the next 3 months or so i figure hockey by mid jan no later hopefully.

Old
10-10-2004, 12:31 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Ugh.

Nothing good I suspect.
it tells me that the rangers don't see lundmark as part of the teams future and that the rangers are still run by idiots

Old
10-10-2004, 12:32 PM
NYR469

also to note, hamilton is a RFA with the isles so he would be signed to play in hartford only, he isn't being brought in as part of the rangers future plans.

Old
10-10-2004, 12:34 PM
NYR469

the addition of hamilton would give hartford 2 great offensive lines with balej, hamilton, ulmer, moore, wiseman and giroux making up the top 2 lines...and right now they lack a scoring rw behind balej.

but my question and concern is who gets bumped from the lineup?

if hamilton's signing simply means that craig weller sits then its a great move, but if his signing means that someone like helminen gets bumped from the lineup and shipped to charlotte then i'm not so sure.

Old
10-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Prucha73

This doesn't make any sense, what about developing our prospects? Why sign some AHLer who would take away top icetime from Balej. This management is so idiotic.

Old
10-10-2004, 04:00 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
This doesn't make any sense, what about developing our prospects? Why sign some AHLer who would take away top icetime from Balej. This management is so idiotic.
How the hell would it do that? Balej is the first RW on the depth chart. It wont effect him.

Old
10-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
How the hell would it do that? Balej is the first RW on the depth chart. It wont effect him.
You expect a 40 goalscorer who is getting paid more than anyone on the team to not get top line minutes and top PP time?

Old
10-10-2004, 04:13 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
You expect a 40 goalscorer who is getting paid more than anyone on the team to not get top line minutes and top PP time?
No I do not. The first line of Giroux-Ulmer-Balej has done wonders. The second line is Wisemen-Moore-Weller. Hmmm I wonder who is going to leave the top 6. For some reason I bet its Weller.

The Rangers pay Holik 10 mil a year and hes not 1st line center.

Old
10-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Fish

I'm kind of curious how much insurance would be on a 1.1 million (or thereabouts) contract for a hockey player. I mean you have to figure it's got to be pretty high, because the chance of getting hurt are pretty high and the insurance companies need to make a profit.

Old
10-10-2004, 06:46 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I'm kind of curious how much insurance would be on a 1.1 million (or thereabouts) contract for a hockey player. I mean you have to figure it's got to be pretty high, because the chance of getting hurt are pretty high and the insurance companies need to make a profit.
not long ago there was an article about alfredsson not playing in europe because of insurance and he said that it would cost $33,000 to insure every $1 mil

Old
10-10-2004, 06:48 PM
NYR469

Quote:
balej is still the #1 rw...they didn't have a 2nd scoring RW, so now hamilton replaces craig weller on that line and gives the pack 2 great offensive lines.

the only forward of importance that is on the bubble to be sent to charlotte is helminen and he isn't going to be the 2nd line RW anyway, so really the signing doesn't effect anyone that matters.

Old
10-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
not long ago there was an article about alfredsson not playing in europe because of insurance and he said that it would cost $33,000 to insure every $1 mil
To be honest, I'm surprised it's that low. That's basically saying they're betting they'll lose only one game in every 33 across all players the insurance company insures. I would have thought it would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 75k per million.

Old
10-10-2004, 06:52 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
To be honest, I'm surprised it's that low. That's basically saying they're betting they'll lose only one game in every 33 across all players the insurance company insures. I would have thought it would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 75k per million.
i'll try to find the article...maybe he was talking about insurance in sweden

Old
10-10-2004, 07:33 PM
NYR469

according to this article from slam No Swede deal it would have cost alfredsson $1.2 mil (US) to insure the rest of his $32.5 mil contract...

this wasn't the article i was thinking of but if my math is right that comes to $36,923.08 per $1 mil...

of course the article doesn't specify if he was getting the insurance here or in sweden...the insurance in sweden might be completely different then here.

Old
10-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
according to this article from slam No Swede deal it would have cost alfredsson $1.2 mil (US) to insure the rest of his $32.5 mil contract...

this wasn't the article i was thinking of but if my math is right that comes to $36,923.08 per $1 mil...

of course the article doesn't specify if he was getting the insurance here or in sweden...the insurance in sweden might be completely different then here.
From reading the article, I don't think it would matter where the contract was written (I'm assuming that Alfredsson's representatives would shop around and get the cheapest quote). And (again from the article), the insurance issue doesn't even seem to be the main problem preventing him from playing in Sweden right now (for Lundqvist's team by the way); it's the fact that Sweden has a wealth tax on all assets (regardless of location) if a person is a resident of Sweden for more than 6 months out of the year.

Closed Thread