HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pegula not ready to pull the trigger

Old
01-13-2012, 01:37 PM
dire wolf
be cool

vCash: 500
This thread is filled with impatience, naiveté, lack of common sense, and poor reading comprehension.

I don't know, maybe some of you guys are just really young and don't have the experience to know how real businesses operate, and how meaningful changes are typically accomplished over time unless you get lucky. When I was a teenager, a year seemed like a long time. Now that I'm middle-aged, I understand how long processes take and how they can get derailed by intervening events.

If you want to achieve success, y'all need to have some degree of patience in life and a whole lot more critical, analytical thinking. Knee-jerking your way through problems is a sure path to failure. I'm pretty sure Terry understands this better than any of us.

I'm not defending the team's play, but then again, neither was Terry if you actually read what he said.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:40 PM
killface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Really?

The team won both games in Europe and were leading the division in mid-November.

It was around the time of the Lucic hit on Miller than the season really went in the tank.
Yes really. The home opener reminded me a lot of the team we had the years we missed the playoffs. There were some bad signs in that game. I had hoped we were passed that, given what had happened to this team, but it's apparent that this core hasn't changed.

Even without the Lucic incident, I'd still say this team would suck. We have the same core players we did during the mediocre years after 07, minus the veteran leadership with Grier and Nieds. We'd win 3-4 games, then go on a losing streak.

killface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:47 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
This thread is filled with impatience, naiveté, lack of common sense, and poor reading comprehension.

I don't know, maybe some of you guys are just really young and don't have the experience to know how real businesses operate, and how meaningful changes are typically accomplished over time unless you get lucky. When I was a teenager, a year seemed like a long time. Now that I'm middle-aged, I understand how long processes take and how they can get derailed by intervening events.

If you want to achieve success, y'all need to have some degree of patience in life and a whole lot more critical, analytical thinking. Knee-jerking your way through problems is a sure path to failure. I'm pretty sure Terry understands this better than any of us.

I'm not defending the team's play, but then again, neither was Terry if you actually read what he said.
Agreed. Some of the posts in here are an EMBARASSMENT to the city. Are you guys serious? 11 months into the job and you're all ready to crucify him? Holy ****in ****

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
killface

Quote:

I can agree with what you're saying. But I honestly think Pegula shouldn't have said anything if he wasn't going to call out his players or say something needed to be done (not that he should say either).

Its clear to people who've been watching this team since Briere and Drury left that injuries, while a factor, aren't the root problem as to why this team hasn't performed. I think the whole article is the exact opposite of what people want to hear, and people are going to be upset.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:51 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by killface View Post
I can agree with what you're saying. But I honestly think Pegula shouldn't have said anything if he wasn't going to call out his players or say something needed to be done (not that he should say either).

Its clear to people who've been watching this team since Briere and Drury left that injuries, while a factor, aren't the root problem as to why this team hasn't performed. I think the whole article is the exact opposite of what people want to hear, and people are going to be upset.
But giving the fans what they want to hear directly hinders the team's ability to get better. You want damaged goods? Would you trade for someone (Roy, stafford) if their current owner ***** on them in the press? No.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:52 PM
5 Minute Major

We need players like Stafford, Roy and Miller to play a heck of a lot better than they have been otherwise we will be stuck with them until the end of their deals.

Who is going to want to trade for non-productive, relatively expensive, players? (If the trade route is being considered)

I wouldn't give anything of any value for any of those three and certainly wouldn't even entertain taking on their salary.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:55 PM
killface

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
But giving the fans what they want to hear directly hinders the team's ability to get better. You want damaged goods? Would you trade for someone (Roy, stafford) if their current owner ***** on them in the press? No.
That's why he shouldn't say anything, like I said before.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:

I hated it when Pegula called out Miller & Enroth after the game in Pittsburgh.

Owners should own.

Mangers should manage.

Coaches should coach.

Players should play.

The GM, coaches, and players are the only ones I want calling players out to the media.

I think Pegula went a little overboard with the "you can't judge anything due to the injuries". But, he answered the question on whether he has lost any faith in his GM and his coach and that is the one thing that he SHOULD answer at this point.

The only other thing I would have liked to have seen would have been if the on-ice results don't improve, how long is it before he does lose faith in his GM and coach?

How patient Pegula will be with Ruff and Regier is the $1 million question that I think a lot of fans would be interested in hearing a truthful answer to.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:57 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
We need players like Stafford, Roy and Miller to play a heck of a lot better than they have been otherwise we will be stuck with them until the end of their deals.

Who is going to want to trade for non-productive, relatively expensive, players? (If the trade route is being considered)

I wouldn't give anything of any value for any of those three and certainly wouldn't even entertain taking on their salary.
The Rangers traded Scott Gomez to Montreal, so there is always hope!

Old
01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
The Rangers traded Scott Gomez to Montreal, so there is always hope!
HA! True.....

Old
01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post

You wouldn't, but some GM will. Mike Cammalleri got traded yesterday notwithstanding he's expensive, underproducing, and wholly willing to call out his team and coaches to the press.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
That's why he shouldn't say anything, like I said before.
Pegula says nothing = people piss and moan that he's an uninterested absentee owner.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
puckish66

Quote:

Terry's not defending his goalies when he explains away the poor goalie play by bringing up the "revolving door" of players in front of them? What does that have to do with all the soft goals?

The danger in relating whatever business you're in to professional sports is that sports is just different. Teams can turn things around on a dime. It's not manufacturing or the health care sector or anything else. Some teams don't even need to turn things around but they do and get even better, like the Flyers trading away a big chunk of their core this past offseason. Talking about how long the process is and how events can derail you sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy. It doesn't need to be that way with the Sabres.

If you want to relate Terry's real life business to this situation, the Sabres are a dry well. Terry knew to cut his losses and move on to the next one.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
You wouldn't, but some GM will. Mike Cammalleri got traded yesterday notwithstanding he's expensive, underproducing, and wholly willing to call out his team and coaches to the press.
Maybe we can hope that some of these players start mouthing off about the organization?

Old
01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
killface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Pegula says nothing = people piss and moan that he's an uninterested absentee owner.
Doesn't matter. When a team is losing, there's always going to be a group of people who are pissed off about something management does/doesn't do. Regardless of whether or not it's right or wrong.

Last edited by killface: 01-13-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old
01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Disenfranchised*

Quote:
Lack of continuity in the lines due to Lindy shuffling the lines = Lindy suxxxxxxxxx and he shouldn't mess with the lines so guys can build chemistry

Lack of continuity in the lines due to injuries = Lindy making excuses

Got it.

No.. it was pretty evident the team didn't have it well before the Boston game; That game was just the cherry on top that proved that they were absolutely gutless.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Agreed. Some of the posts in here are an EMBARASSMENT to the city. Are you guys serious? 11 months into the job and you're all ready to crucify him? Holy ****in ****
Our fanbase is like a woman who's been abused by her husband for 10 years; emotionally unstable. Everyone knows everything, but no ones spent a day owning anything bigger than their lemonade stand when they were 12. I try to avoid these topics.

I will say this, pegula stating the team will win a cup within three years was a mistake. I truly think he understimated the competitive level of the nhl. He set high standards, and a lot of fans will hold him to that. Id be happy if they built a legit contender by then, and I think they will.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
No.. it was pretty evident the team didn't have it well before the Boston game; That game was just the cherry on top that proved that they were absolutely gutless.
If 10-5-0 = not having it, let's get back to not having it!

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
gallagt01

While I would like for something to happen because I do believe this core is stale, having a year for evaluation isnt a bad thing.

We have 3 forwards on expiring contracts headed for ufa and a couple more after next season. He added 3 new core pieces this past summer (im in the minority that feels leino has been better than his production has shown and will be an important figure moving forward) and natural roster turnover is on the horizon. This team will not be the same next year or the year after.

He said 3 year plan, folks. Not 1. Not 1/2.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If 10-5-0 = not having it, let's get back to not having it!
A lot of revisionism happening around the forum lately.

The team's record at the end of last season up until the slump began was garbage, so why didn't ownership fix it??????

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:52 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
A lot of revisionism happening around the forum lately.

The team's record at the end of last season up until the slump began was garbage, so why didn't ownership fix it??????
That's because it fits with some folks' agendas. It does make it hard to have a rational discussion on the board right now though.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:23 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Come on guys, we all know how the front office operates

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

You've channeled everything I was thinking while reading through this (and more) into this response. Thank you.

01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Dreakon

I can see where Pegula is coming from. I'm not happy about it, but these guys are playing with different line-mates on almost a night to night basis. And we had more than a few additions/subtractions over the offseason that weren't a guarantee to gel in the first place. I don't care what team you are, if you don't keep a single line together more than two or three games... it's going to drag the whole team down.

The closest thing to consistency we have is Vanek and Pominville, and you know their health is probably hanging by a thread.

Roy and Stafford aren't "carry the team on their back" kind of guys. No matter how much we want them to be. Like most players, consistent linemates and chemistry would go a looooong way. This isn't the season for that apparently.

That said, I betcha even if we did give up half the team for Getzlaf he just gets injured for weeks shortly after landing in Buffalo.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:12 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Pegula's on WGR right now.

I like most of what he's said so far.

I raised an eyebrow when Vanek & Pominville were the only guys he mentioned when Schopp asked about the fans growing tired of the Core.