HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Datsyuk playing hurt?

Old
05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Datsyuk playing hurt?

What ailment was Datsyuk playing with, I have to wonder? Everyone could tell that Datsyuk was physically struggling when he was out on the ice. He still had his vision, but his body was not doing what it normally does. He didn't look injured during the Anaheim series, where could he have gotten hurt?

Cursed Lemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:23 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

His skating was horrid for what it usually is. He was getting knocked down left and right.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:24 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Chicago did key on him in a big way but I have never seen him that invisible in a series.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:28 PM
RandR

He may have been simply worn out. The guy is in great shape but the Anaheim series was 7 games with all that cross-country travel, and that followed a tough stretch drive to make the playoffs.

I was actually surprised how well Howard played given he had played so many games in a row.

RandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandR View Post
He may have been simply worn out. The guy is in great shape but the Anaheim series was 7 games with all that cross-country travel, and that followed a tough stretch drive to make the playoffs.
I don't buy that for a second. You don't just lose 80% of your stamina in one year, transitioning from one series.

Cursed Lemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:31 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Chicago did key on him in a big way but I have never seen him that invisible in a series.
I've seen him that invisible in a series.

I think he had a broken wrist the last time. We'll see what it is this time.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

I think it was pretty obvious that Hossa was hurt as well. He was pretty much invisible. The Wings were just outmatched when it came to the top 6. They did a good job shutting down Toews and minimizing Kane. Just coudn't do a good enough job on Bickell and Sharp.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:29 PM
RedWingzz
#20in07

he had to be hurt...there is no other explanation to his play.

RedWingzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
I think it was pretty obvious that Hossa was hurt as well. He was pretty much invisible.
Hossa is a tremendous talent, but I think he's just one of those guys who has no extra gear.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingzz View Post
he had to be hurt...there is no other explanation to his play.
This. He had to be hurt with how he was playing.

Hendricks433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I don't think he was hurt, I just think he got shut down by some really good defensive players. We did it to Toews, they did it to Datsyuk.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:06 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Give him some competent wingers. Abdelkader had some good games, but he is NOT a top 6 forward. Franzen has had 3 poor playoffs in a row now. He plays better with Zetterberg.

I think Brunner is the sniper Datsyuk needs. The puck seems to follow him and Datsyuk can find anyone on the ice. Rotate a gritty player like Tootoo, Torres or Clarkson or a speedy scoring type player like Tatar on that line and Datsyuk will thrive. The reason he was shut down offensively is because his linemates don't have enough offensive power.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Give him some competent wingers. Abdelkader had some good games, but he is NOT a top 6 forward. Franzen has had 3 poor playoffs in a row now. He plays better with Zetterberg.

I think Brunner is the sniper Datsyuk needs. The puck seems to follow him and Datsyuk can find anyone on the ice. Rotate a gritty player like Tootoo, Torres or Clarkson or a speedy scoring type player like Tatar on that line and Datsyuk will thrive. The reason he was shut down offensively is because his linemates don't have enough offensive power.
If how well Abdelkader was playing in the playoffs is an indication of how he'll be playing next year, I think he'd be fine on Datsyuk's wing - or at least as good as a guy like Torres or Clarkson. Gator really upped his game over the last 20 or so games (including playoffs).

Agree about moving Brunner up. Or put Nyquist/Tatar there. Should be easier to do next year with a full season and training camp.

05-30-2013, 10:36 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
His skating was horrid for what it usually is. He was getting knocked down left and right.
i wouldn't say horrid, but it was certainly not as good as usual. not as bad as last season after his knee injury, but pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I don't think he was hurt, I just think he got shut down by some really good defensive players. We did it to Toews, they did it to Datsyuk.
i disagree for a couple of reasons. his skating was missing, both strength on his skates and speed. got knocked down a lot and had very little burst in his skating. lost far more pucks on the boards than usual. he also bobbled pucks more than usual, but that may be just due to bad ice.

those are not really matters of opposing defense.

in addition, he and franzen did not work well together at all, partly b/c neither played very well.

i may have been worrying too much about his knee injury last season precipitating his decline, but the combination of his age and knee injury could be a serious problem.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:44 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think there was more to it in Datyuk's case. There is little question in my mind that he was hurt. Seemed obvious the last few games of the series at least. Lower-body injury, probably a knee. He just didn't have his normal quickness. Any time he had to go from a standstill or completely change direction, he turned into a snail.

In short, I agree with nik jr. Though I'm not too worried about Dats health going forward.

Last edited by jaster: 05-30-2013 at 10:53 AM.
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Johnny Law

He couldn't make the super quick pivot move at the dots, additionally he added a chop step to his stride when starting from a complete stop.

IDK maybe not an injury but just sore, we will know for sure shortly.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:42 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
Hossa is a tremendous talent, but I think he's just one of those guys who has no extra gear.
I agree. I've been in the "shoulda signed him" camp since he went to Chicago, but that series didn't make me miss him. He's not on Datsyuk's or Zetterberg's level at all. When you compare him and Franzen's production and contract, you basically get exactly what you pay for. And with the young forwards we have coming up, I'm glad we don't have Hossa's lifetime contract to deal with.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Yzerman1919*

My issue with Abby is he cannot handle the puck. He forechecks and gets in front, but he is never going to rush down the ice for a goal. Problem.

Yzerman1919* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Yzerberg

I'm waiting for news to break that Datsyuk has a groin pull because that's what it looked like to me. He just wasn't getting around. He looked like he could give max effort maybe 4 shifts a game and the rest was just sorta meandering around the ice.

Yzerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:50 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

I wonder if his knees were acting up again... Oh well. Whatever ails him will hopefully be gone by training camp.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
bababooeyII

Anyone think the Russian rumors were a distraction? Or, perish the thought, that he actually is thinking of moving on when his contract is up and it was weighing on his mind?

bababooeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooeyII View Post
Anyone think the Russian rumors were a distraction? Or, perish the thought, that he actually is thinking of moving on when his contract is up and it was weighing on his mind?
No. Pavel isn't some simpleton. He's mentally strong.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:11 PM
TatarTangle

What ailed him? Missingtop6wingeritis. WebMD that.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:14 PM
bullocks

Datsyuk disappears every couple playoffs so it's not shocking. That's why I laugh when some Wings fans say he's better then Zetterberg in the playoffs.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:10 AM
InjuredChoker

He just choked.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote