HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ballard to NYI

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2012, 10:00 AM
  #1
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,245
vCash: 500
Ballard to NYI

After last night, it's become very clear that AV has no interest in giving Ballard any opportunity in Vancouver. He expects Ballard to play the simple game of a bottom pairing defenseman, and simply put, that isn't Ballards game. Salo is currently injured which opens up a spot in our top 4, instead of giving Ballard that spot AV gives it to AHL defenseman Alex Sulzer and scratches Ballard. Ridiculous.

Anyways, Ballard has been playing quite well over the last 20-25 game stretch. But if AV is going to use him as a bottom pairing defenseman and not give him minutes then we simply MUST move him for salary cap space. I know NYI have been hunting for a top 4 defender for a while, I thought Ballard may be a good fit as he is signed for another few years and he'll come pretty cheap.

Over the last stretch...

Keith Ballard, 22gp, 0g 6a, +10 ~15:00 TOI/game (while playing out of position on the right side)

Any interest? Matt Martin and a pick maybe? PA Parenteau if you don't think he can be re-signed?

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:05 AM
  #2
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,929
vCash: 50
I'd take Ballard in Edmonton, but I don't think any team is giving up much other than a player they don't want and maybe a 6th rounder.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
  #3
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Big Brock
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,454
vCash: 500
Matt Martin and a pick for Ballard? Martin is the best hitter in the NHL and has become a part of the core, I don't think he'll be traded any time soon.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
  #4
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
After last night, it's become very clear that AV has no interest in giving Ballard any opportunity in Vancouver. He expects Ballard to play the simple game of a bottom pairing defenseman, and simply put, that isn't Ballards game. Salo is currently injured which opens up a spot in our top 4, instead of giving Ballard that spot AV gives it to AHL defenseman Alex Sulzer and scratches Ballard. Ridiculous.

Anyways, Ballard has been playing quite well over the last 20-25 game stretch. But if AV is going to use him as a bottom pairing defenseman and not give him minutes then we simply MUST move him for salary cap space. I know NYI have been hunting for a top 4 defender for a while, I thought Ballard may be a good fit as he is signed for another few years and he'll come pretty cheap.

Over the last stretch...

Keith Ballard, 22gp, 0g 6a, +10 ~15:00 TOI/game (while playing out of position on the right side)

Any interest? Matt Martin and a pick maybe? PA Parenteau if you don't think he can be re-signed?
I would have to think Martin's value is considerable higher to Snow then Parenteau's.

Martin's on his ELC and playing very well.Parenteau's on pace for about 60pts,but an impending ufa.

Parenteau+pick?How high a pick(please don't come back and suggest the isles 1st).

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:11 AM
  #5
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,354
vCash: 500
Matt Martin no.....A pick yes.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:41 AM
  #6
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I would have to think Martin's value is considerable higher to Snow then Parenteau's.

Martin's on his ELC and playing very well.Parenteau's on pace for about 60pts,but an impending ufa.

Parenteau+pick?How high a pick(please don't come back and suggest the isles 1st).
Probably around a third. We have a 4th from the Isles already, but I have a hard time nailing down Parenteau's value.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
  #7
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,701
vCash: 500
If Gillis has a plan to utilize the cap space this season, then I can see Ballard being moved. But otherwise, keeping Ballard until the off-season makes more sense for depth purposes.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:02 PM
  #8
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,245
vCash: 500
Parenteau and a 3rd? Wasn't aware Martin had that type of value.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:10 PM
  #9
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Ill offer you P.A. alone OR a 2nd and 5th in 2012 straight up for Ballard if this is a cap move.

Martin is not available.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
  #10
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If Gillis has a plan to utilize the cap space this season, then I can see Ballard being moved. But otherwise, keeping Ballard until the off-season makes more sense for depth purposes.
My dream plan in the realm of realism...

Ballard to NYI for 3rd + Parenteau

Gleason to VAN for 2nd

Moen to VAN for NYI 3rd

Playoff line-up when healthy..

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Hodgson-Parenteau
Moen-Malhotra-LaPierre
Hansen*, Weise

Edler-Salo
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Rome-Gleason
Tanev, Alberts, Sulzer

Luongo/Schneider

* I realize Hansen won't be sitting, it'd likely be someone else. Bound to be an injury somewhere anyways.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
  #11
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Parenteau and a 3rd? Wasn't aware Martin had that type of value.

To the isles he does.

Not only is Martin the team's leading hitter,he shows a willingness to do the dirty work on his line:fighting for loose pucks,going hard to the net.

He's on very cheap ELC.

Ballard is a $4m healthy scratch,that Snow would be gambling on.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:41 PM
  #12
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Ballard's only a healthy scratch in Van because he doesn't suit our system that we expect out of our D-Men. He's good, but he doesn't work here and should be playing Top 4 minutes on a team that needs him.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:48 PM
  #13
KrisBeKreame
Registered User
 
KrisBeKreame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
My dream plan in the realm of realism...

Ballard to NYI for 3rd + Parenteau

Gleason to VAN for 2nd

Moen to VAN for NYI 3rd
How did Van get the NYI 3rd? I know the Isles traded thier 4th to Van for early access to Erhoff, which he then traded to buf for their 4th.

Edit: Sorry didnt see the above trade for Paranteau + 3rd.


Last edited by KrisBeKreame: 01-13-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Didnt see above
KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
  #14
ephmrl
#tanknation
 
ephmrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
How did Van get the NYI 3rd? I know the Isles traded thier 4th to Van for early access to Erhoff, which he then traded to buf for their 4th.

Edit: Sorry didnt see the above trade for Paranteau + 3rd.
Re read the Parenteau trade again.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:06 PM
  #15
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,742
vCash: 500
If you're looking for a cheaper bottom pair dman, Islanders have plenty to offer. You're not getting Matt Martin, who at age 22 is already a top-4 guy with lots of upside. You might be interested in Mark Eaton. Solid stay at home dman who would do very well on the bottom pair for a good team. Won a Cup with Pitt a few years ago, so he adds that experience. Makes 2M less than Ballard, and is UFA after this season. Ballard for Eaton and a 4th would be a good salary dump move that would net VAN a better fit on the bottom pair and free up a lot of cap room for the future.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:07 PM
  #16
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If Gillis has a plan to utilize the cap space this season, then I can see Ballard being moved. But otherwise, keeping Ballard until the off-season makes more sense for depth purposes.
A trade during the offseason would definitely make more sense for the Islanders. The Islanders will not be taking on any heavy contracts during the season, but they have a lot of money coming off the books this summer. The isles will be losing Eaton, Mottau, Jurcina, Staios. Snow will definitely be in the market for a defenseman VIA trade/free agency.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
  #17
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
If you're looking for a cheaper bottom pair dman, Islanders have plenty to offer. You're not getting Matt Martin, who at age 22 is already a top-4 guy with lots of upside. You might be interested in Mark Eaton. Solid stay at home dman who would do very well on the bottom pair for a good team. Won a Cup with Pitt a few years ago, so he adds that experience. Makes 2M less than Ballard, and is UFA after this season. Ballard for Eaton and a 4th would be a good salary dump move that would net VAN a better fit on the bottom pair and free up a lot of cap room for the future.
Does Eaton play on the right? I'd do it if he does. But what fourth would that be, we already have the 2012 fourth from the Ehrhoff rights trade.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:13 PM
  #18
seafoam
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,516
vCash: 70
I would welcome Ballard

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:15 PM
  #19
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,355
vCash: 500
How about

Keith Ballard for
Jurcina + 2nd round pick?

Van flips that pick and the 4th they got from the Islanders for Gill + Moen?

Out - Ballard + NYI 4th, NYI 2nd
In - Jurcina, Gill , Moen

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:18 PM
  #20
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Gleason to VAN for 2nd
If Gleason was available for a 2nd, why would the NYI trade for Ballard, when they could get the much better defenseman?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
  #21
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Ballard's only a healthy scratch in Van because he doesn't suit our system that we expect out of our D-Men. He's good, but he doesn't work here and should be playing Top 4 minutes on a team that needs him.
Ballard's had a couple of rough seasons.The team trading for him has to believe he simply needs a change of scenery,to get out of the Canucks defensive system.

It'd be a gamble for the isles because unlike some teams,the isles don't have deep enough pockets to bury Ballard on the 3rd pairing.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
  #22
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
If Gleason was available for a 2nd, why would the NYI trade for Ballard, when they could get the much better defenseman?
Gleason is a rental for playoffs, which at this time NYI doesn't appear to be in the running for.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:22 PM
  #23
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Does Eaton play on the right? I'd do it if he does. But what fourth would that be, we already have the 2012 fourth from the Ehrhoff rights trade.
Isles received Buffalo's 4th when they flipped Ehrhoff's right to them.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
  #24
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
If Gleason was available for a 2nd, why would the NYI trade for Ballard, when they could get the much better defenseman?
1) Because Gleason is not better than Ballard. If I had a choice between either defenseman at an equal cap hit I take Ballard. Ballard does need a change of scenery, but most of all he needs an opportunity to play his game.

2) Go ahead and trade for Gleason then. He'll walk in the offseason and you'll be down a 2nd rounder. It'll be a nice 2 month run though, sure. Ballard is signed for 3 more years, if he turns it around you get a top 4 defender for a steal of a price.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:36 PM
  #25
seafoam
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,516
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdan85 View Post
How about

Keith Ballard for
Jurcina + 2nd round pick?

Van flips that pick and the 4th they got from the Islanders for Gill + Moen?

Out - Ballard + NYI 4th, NYI 2nd
In - Jurcina, Gill , Moen
I wouldn't even trade a 2nd straight up for Ballard let alone our 4th best dman.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.