HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daniel Larsson and the Red Wings

Old
01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Unsportsmanlike
Marc Madsen

vCash: 500
Daniel Larsson and the Red Wings

I always liked Daniel Larsson and would have, obviously, preferred he never left NA. That being said, he had a really solid year last year in the SEL and is doing quite well again. It's been rumoured that Larsson would only come back to NA (and the Wings organization) if he was guarateed a roster spot on the big club.

Personally, I think when prospects head (back) over to Europe their tenure is more often finished with an NHL club (with the exception of some prospects who develop completely in Europe - I'm talking about guys who come to the AHL for one+ years and head back to Europe). I know there were some posters on LGW that thought the Wings should have brough Larsson over as the back up this season. Any thoughts or impressions on his play, the chances you feel the Wings even entertain the idea of having Larsson at camp next year, and if Larsson will eve end up in Detroit/NHL?

Unsportsmanlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:59 AM
DetBigWangs

Perfect timing for him. Conklin hasn't been too hot and has only looked like an NHL goalie the last couple games.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Unsportsmanlike
Marc Madsen

That's what I'm thinking. Ultimately, the Wings would be looking for a vet back up but the options are thinning. I would think they wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Larsson as the back up especially since Joey MacDonald is signed for next season as well. So if things don't go as planned he can fill in.

Unsportsmanlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
joe89

Actually, he's not doing very well sadly.. When he came back to Europe he was a name for the National team, he's not really close at that anymore. His stats(.914 SVS%, 2,39GAA) are mediocre for being in the SEL and he plays on a good team.

That said, I still think he could do better than Conklin and McDonald and still has potential..

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:33 PM
FabricDetails

When he left for Europe the Wings organization said he was still too skinny and didn't spend enough time being aggressive outside of the paint. That standard probably isn't going to change. Unless he can come into camp with significant improvements in those areas I wouldn't slot him in for any potential rosters.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:04 AM
Sykie

Send a message via ICQ to Sykie
Just curious...

What happens with Daniel Larsson ? Is it still possible that he comes back, or do his chances seem over as a legitimate prospect ?

Sykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:15 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykie View Post
Just curious...

What happens with Daniel Larsson ? Is it still possible that he comes back, or do his chances seem over as a legitimate prospect ?
Totally over as a legitimate NHL prospect, since a goalie of his calibre would need to be in the AHL to have a legit chance at the NHL. He would need a spectacular season in Europe to be considered making the jump into an NHL backup role, and from my understanding he's not slightly interested in the AHL. He just signed a new two year deal with AIK. KHL is probably closer for him than North America.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:00 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykie View Post
Just curious...

He's finished. He doesn't play in North America again.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Dynheart

Isn't this the dude who was livid that it was Howard that was moved up and not him? "Swept him under the rug." I believe is what he said. Nothing but bad vibes in the locker room if you ask me if you bring this dude over.

Howie will be OK with it, I'm sure. This Larsson guy on the other hand? I'm sure he's still bitter. He went from outplaying Howie (I'm sure he was at one point in the AHL...Howie for some reason was just meh in the AHL), to getting pissy and leaving for Europe. Then, he starts to play bad to mediocre all together.

I'm sure he regrets his decision for leaving the Griffs. But he seems like a hot head.

Then again, it could have been another Daniel -------, I don't know. I'm pretty sure this is the guy.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:01 AM
Deemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynheart View Post
Isn't this the dude who was livid that it was Howard that was moved up and not him? "Swept him under the rug." I believe is what he said. Nothing but bad vibes in the locker room if you ask me if you bring this dude over.

Howie will be OK with it, I'm sure. This Larsson guy on the other hand? I'm sure he's still bitter. He went from outplaying Howie (I'm sure he was at one point in the AHL...Howie for some reason was just meh in the AHL), to getting pissy and leaving for Europe. Then, he starts to play bad to mediocre all together.

I'm sure he regrets his decision for leaving the Griffs. But he seems like a hot head.

Then again, it could have been another Daniel -------, I don't know. I'm pretty sure this is the guy.
Can't remember any quote like that, the reason he bolted from AHL was that he was told he'd be third stringer in the Griffins behind McCollum and McDonald, despite putting up vastly greater numbers than McCollum the previous season. He wasn't exactly given much of an option there, chances of getting anywhere as the 3rd goalie in the AHL is slim to none. Unfortunate situation, I suppose Holland didn't want to admit that his 1st round pick was a bust yet.

Deemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:10 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Larsson bolted because he thought he should be in the NHL and wasn't.

The best part is, if he'd stuck around that season he would have gotten plenty of chances to prove himself in the NHL because that was the year they had such awful goalie injuries.

Dude took the short view, threw a tantrum, and ran away. No big loss.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:54 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Larsson bolted because he thought he should be in the NHL and wasn't.

The best part is, if he'd stuck around that season he would have gotten plenty of chances to prove himself in the NHL because that was the year they had such awful goalie injuries.

Dude took the short view, threw a tantrum, and ran away. No big loss.
I wonder if he regrets that now.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote