HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ot learning French aps

Old
01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Ot learning French aps

Would anyone know of good iPhone aps to teach oneself how to read French?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:44 PM
NotProkofievian

Lingq is probably the best one I've found. A bit pricey at 10 bucks per month, but you can use it on your computer, iphone, Ipad etc.

Not to mention it's actually a very good program, contrary to many other programs out there.

edit: I should say that it's a tool that can be very good if you are a dedicated learner. It's not a "spoon-fed" approach. It's 100% in the target language. The main exercise of the program is to understand the meaning of the text, and mentally to associate it with the spoken language.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Prospector

Randy is that you?

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Rickkins

Rosetta Stone, for the computer. Not sure if there's an app for that.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Lingq is probably the best one I've found. A bit pricey at 10 bucks per month, but you can use it on your computer, iphone, Ipad etc.

Not to mention it's actually a very good program, contrary to many other programs out there.

edit: I should say that it's a tool that can be very good if you are a dedicated learner. It's not a "spoon-fed" approach. It's 100% in the target language. The main exercise of the program is to understand the meaning of the text, and mentally to associate it with the spoken language.
Is it good for spanish also ?

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 800
if you want to learn french, an iphone app isn't going to help you beyond a few words here and there.

best way to learn the language is make friends who speak the language, text them in french, talk to them in french, and go from there - that will give you the basic "everyday" type of stuff, then go to the french area of your town or a french restaurant and start ordering in french (assuming you live in Canada and in a city with strong french influence or at least some influence)

there really is no better way to learn a language than go immerse yourself in it i.e. surround yourself with those people. The Canadian government has programs and can aid you in this, if you check out the website....also assuming you are canadian lol

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Moen is Gone
@MoeninGlory

1. Watch RDS all day everyday for 2 or 3 months (you will learn all basic french words like Gros-bonhomme, etc)

2. Find a french-speaking psychiatrist

3. Voila!

Moen is Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
LyricalLyricist

Learning basic french isn't too difficult. There's like several main verbes you should know. After that constructing a few phrases with the regular fill ins and you can probably get by in montreal and comment on how you suck at french in past, present and future tense. I kid on last part but practice is best thing. Sure getting rosetta stone helps but conversing, reading books or even writing on a french forum might help.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Speak to a Quebecois. Seriously. Talking is the best way. Obviously, if you have zero background in French, take lessons/go online and study, etc.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:23 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Is it good for spanish also ?
Certainly. Russian, German, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto, Japanese etc etc as well as about 5 or 6 "beta" languages(ones they haven't developed completely).

Old
01-13-2012, 03:29 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Speak to a Quebecois. Seriously. Talking is the best way. Obviously, if you have zero background in French, take lessons/go online and study, etc.
Or rather, listen to native speakers of french, and associate the correct meaning to what they're saying as often as possible. So called "input based" learning.

I speak French as well as I ever have, which is to say at an advanced level, despite the fact that I speak it maybe a couple times per year. The reason is simple. I read french, and listen to french almost every single day.

Old
01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Or rather, listen to native speakers of french, and associate the correct meaning to what they're saying as often as possible. So called "input based" learning.

I speak French as well as I ever have, which is to say at an advanced level, despite the fact that I speak it maybe a couple times per year. The reason is simple. I read french, and listen to french almost every single day.
In that vein, CBC's C'est la vie word of the week podcast is great for learning expressions and stuff, especially for people interested in Canadian/Quebec French because it's practically the only podcast on the web in a semi-teaching aspect that is by Canadians.

Pince-sans-rire. Deadpan. Never would have learned that in a million years of francais metropolitaine podcasts.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:14 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm just attempting to learn to read it then I will get involved in online forums of allowed

Old
01-13-2012, 04:33 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
I'm just attempting to learn to read it then I will get involved in online forums of allowed
Taking a linguaphone course, or an Assimil course is probably the best self study option to build a foundation in a language.

After that, Lingq, pimsleur, podcasts, grammar readers, graded readers, dual-language texts, and of course, teh internets, are probably the best resources available.

Teach Yourself ____ is also a good series, particularly if you are learning a rare language like Icelandic or Sanskrit.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:36 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
In that vein, CBC's C'est la vie word of the week podcast is great for learning expressions and stuff, especially for people interested in Canadian/Quebec French because it's practically the only podcast on the web in a semi-teaching aspect that is by Canadians.

Pince-sans-rire. Deadpan. Never would have learned that in a million years of francais metropolitaine podcasts.
Absolutely, that's a very good program.

Lol, pince-sans-rire. I did an exchange in Quebec and didn't even learn that.

I don't really have any motivation to learn French better than I know it now, as it's good enough for what I need it. For example, it's good enough to use as my "base language" for the Assimil courses, which actually have some rare languages with French as their base.

I just don't really like the language all that much, compared to Germanic or Slavic languages. If you're gonna learn something, you're going to have to enjoy it.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Bieber fever

Op is Randy Cunneyworth

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Habs

Quote:
my wife used the ifrench app, it worked well for her and got our kids till grade 2.. now half-way in grade 2 ,they speak the language too fast and know too many words for us to keep up.

I guess we should have been prepared to be outspoken by 7 yr olds..

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:40 PM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
Rosetta Stone, for the computer. Not sure if there's an app for that.
That. Best one available for PC by far

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
That. Best one available for PC by far
I'd just like to take this opportunity to emphasize this point. It is far from the best language learning system, however. Especially for a grammatically complex language like Russian or German coming from a relatively grammatically simple language like English.

Furthermore, it is frustratingly slow, and prohibitively expensive.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:

Pronunciation is important too. Whatever makes you happy though.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:05 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Pronunciation is important too. Whatever makes you happy though.
You learn correct pronunciation not by speaking, or hearing, but by listening. Of course, you must practice the learned pronunciation; but of these factors, actually speaking the language is the least important one.

Not least because simply, most native speakers are too polite to correct your pronunciation, no matter how awful it is.

What's with that snarky as **** "whatever makes you happy though"?

Old
01-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Op is Randy Cunneyworth
Or perhaps one who could coach the Habs better than Cunneyworth...

Mathradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 08:13 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks guys.