HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Look for a comparison in tomorrow's game

Old
01-15-2012, 02:29 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

vCash: 500
Look for a comparison in tomorrow's game

Tomorrow, the Isles will go up against Nashville and verse arguably one of the best d-men in the NHL: Shea Weber.

Now I know that every Islander fan thinks Hamonic is going to be a beast (and right now, he has been showing it). But watching his style, he looks pretty to similar to Shea Weber. The fact that they play physically and take the game into their own hands in the defensive zone is pretty cool to watch.

However, Weber is better offensively and Hamonic needs to work on that. But other than that, I am looking forward to watching these two play against each other. Hopefully Hamonic develops into a Weber-type player or even better. It will be a fun matchup.

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:41 PM
scott99

Hamonic is light years away from being a Shea Weber type. He's closer to Luke Schenn. Which isn't a bad thing. Defensively, he's already the Isles's best. Not saying he can't be a Weber type, but he reminds me of Schenn.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:55 PM
LAIslanderFan

Weber will be a RFA after this season. Suter will be a UFA. I don't think Nashville can afford both.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:59 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Hamonic is light years away from being a Shea Weber type. He's closer to Luke Schenn. Which isn't a bad thing. Defensively, he's already the Isles's best. Not saying he can't be a Weber type, but he reminds me of Schenn.
Hammer is much more mobile than Schenn and has more poise under pressure. Weber is a true man-beast, 6-4, 232 lbs and he can skate.
Hamonic is listed as 6-2, 203 although he plays bigger. Schenn is also bigger than Hammer at 6-2 229 lbs but he is not nearly as good a skater or as smart a player.
IMO, Hammer is already well above Schenn but not close to Weber but if the size disparity can be overcome to some degree, Hammer has the best chance of being a Weber-lite, but not as good as the original.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
Tomorrow, the Isles will go up against Nashville and verse arguably one of the best d-men in the NHL: Shea Weber.

Now I know that every Islander fan thinks Hamonic is going to be a beast (and right now, he has been showing it). But watching his style, he looks pretty to similar to Shea Weber. The fact that they play physically and take the game into their own hands in the defensive zone is pretty cool to watch.

However, Weber is better offensively and Hamonic needs to work on that. But other than that, I am looking forward to watching these two play against each other. Hopefully Hamonic develops into a Weber-type player or even better. It will be a fun matchup.
Every isles fan does not think he is going to be a beast. I think he will be solid. However FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR from a beast

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Boik14

The biggest things I see that differentiate Hamonic and Weber:

Weber has a booming shot that hes not afraid to let rip. He scores a lot more goals as a result. hamonic has a good shot but from what I have seen its not as accurate or as hard. If he shot it more Hamonic would create more putback opportunities and rebounds for his forwards.

Weber controls the puck a lot better and hes a better passer. Both on outlet passes and within his own zone Weber has a nice touch on his passes and its a skill you can tell hes refined. Hamonic needs work there.

From a skating standpoint I think theyre close but I give an edge to Weber who can really pursue and offensive play and still get back defensively. We saw Hamonic do it last night and the result was a good save by Enroth on a wrister but its not something we see Hamonic do regularly or even once a week.

Defensively I give a slight edge to Hamonic. I see him having better position and he really gets after offensive players.

If Hamonic ends be a Luke Schenn type thats fine. If he ends up being a Weber type with better defensive play...thats Norris caliber

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:15 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Hammer is much more mobile than Schenn and has more poise under pressure. Weber is a true man-beast, 6-4, 232 lbs and he can skate.
Hamonic is listed as 6-2, 203 although he plays bigger. Schenn is also bigger than Hammer at 6-2 229 lbs but he is not nearly as good a skater or as smart a player.
IMO, Hammer is already well above Schenn but not close to Weber but if the size disparity can be overcome to some degree, Hammer has the best chance of being a Weber-lite, but not as good as the original.
I like where you mention Hammer's intelligence. I notice that every game, he's so smart. At first, especially last season, he reminded me of a young Scott Stevens. The difference is, at the same age, Stevens had no self control, he would just go ape-**** and lose his temper. Hamonic is so smart, plays a clean game, and never loses his temper or flips out, he keeps his cool. Does he hit hard, hell yeah, does he play hard ? Hell yeah. Will he fight and stick up for his teammates, definitely. But he never does anything stupid.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:36 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Weber will be a RFA after this season. Suter will be a UFA. I don't think Nashville can afford both.
I think we have a chance at Hamhu-oh, wait

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's not closer to Schenn, he's better than Schenn.

Hamonic is a 2-way dman, he is great physically, defensively and can contribute offensively. He can do that via his passing (great outlet pass) or with his slapshot which he uses for some great shot passes. One thing I'd like to see him do more is pinch in more by the high slot. The first line is always circling behind the net and he'd have some great oppurtunities there.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:07 PM
BillD

Quote:
I like where you mention Hammer's intelligence. I notice that every game, he's so smart. At first, especially last season, he reminded me of a young Scott Stevens. The difference is, at the same age, Stevens had no self control, he would just go ape-**** and lose his temper. Hamonic is so smart, plays a clean game, and never loses his temper or flips out, he keeps his cool. Does he hit hard, hell yeah, does he play hard ? Hell yeah. Will he fight and stick up for his teammates, definitely. But he never does anything stupid.
What I love about Hammer is that he recognizes mistakes and very rarely if ever repeats the same one. He is a kid that definately learns from his mistakes, whether figuring it out himself or the coaching staff teaching him. It is one of the most impressive things about him. He can stand to gain some muscle, he was listed at 215 when he was in his draft year with the Wheaties, so he probably dropped to add to speed.
Denis Potvin has said that it takes a professional defenseman at least 200 NHL games before he begins to understand the position and what is needed.
No matter how Hammer matches up to Weber, he will be a good one, in his prime near All-Star. That's my projection and I'm sticking to it. If Girardi is an All-Star, then make room for Hammer.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:13 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
He's not closer to Schenn, he's better than Schenn.Hamonic is a 2-way dman, he is great physically, defensively and can contribute offensively. He can do that via his passing (great outlet pass) or with his slapshot which he uses for some great shot passes. One thing I'd like to see him do more is pinch in more by the high slot. The first line is always circling behind the net and he'd have some great oppurtunities there.
this is also what I believe.....

I used to say Hammer would be Shea Weber but after looking at Webers Offensive numbers I dont see Hammer getting as much as Weber....But thats Fine hes still going to be more than good enough for us...and as of now hes our best Dman....

Also I like Schenn but I would take Hammer over him

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:35 PM
ScaredStreit

I know he's our only bright spot on D...so fans tend to overrate him (I think right now he's a solid second pairing), but by no means is he anywhere near being as good as Weber. Suter is better than Hamonic too.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:47 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

I never stated that Hamonic was on the same level as Weber. I am stating that they have similarities in their game yet they are on different levels.

Old
01-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Stercrazy

The one thing that I have noticed is Hamonic is working on his off and it has shown some improvement from last year. He moves up more in the off zone and has been working on his one timer. Hopefully he continues to improve.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

This is why fans can't appreciate good players. You try to compare them to Shea Weber or Crosby, etc.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Actually, as far as types go, Hamonic has much in common with a young Shea Weber. The way he goes about his business in all three ends and the amount of shots he takes has very much emulates what Weber did in his younger days.

When Hamonic was drafted, a scout said he was a poor man's Luke Schenn.

With his developmental explosion in the years following the draft, it was noted that he'd become a poor man's Shea Weber.

Statistically, we shouldn't deny Hamonic's 26 points in 62 games as a rookie being more than what Schenn did in any of his first three seasons.

As for the original post, Nashville is a club that should be looked to as inspiration for Snow, especially when it comes to drafting and player development. However, Snow has to this point done a better job with retaining players. Nashville has lost many over the years to the free agency game and look to suffer another hit this summer.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:24 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
This is why fans can't appreciate good players. You try to compare them to Shea Weber or Crosby, etc.
I still don't get how you can take this wrong way. Obviously I appreciate Shea Weber, which is why I am saying that Hammy and Weber have similar styles of play and Travis can learn a thing or two from Weber. I'm not sure why you are being negative towards a comparison of play style.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
I still don't get how you can take this wrong way. Obviously I appreciate Shea Weber, which is why I am saying that Hammy and Weber have similar styles of play and Travis can learn a thing or two from Weber. I'm not sure why you are being negative towards a comparison of play style.
I didn't mean to be negative, just making a general observation. I think it can be a little silly to measure worth through comparison to other players, especially players that are top 10 in their position.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Hamonic will never be as physically imposing as Webber (despite Hammer player bigger than he is, his frame is simply smaller than Webbers) but he can certainly be as good if not better than him in the D zone.
He's very smart about his positioning and boxes out opposing players well in front of the net and along the boards.

On the offensive side, I don't think he will ever reach Webber status, but he will certainly put up points. Those who remember his rookie season recall how well he got the puck to the net. Early on this season he struggled and wound up too much for the big slapper n got blocked a lot. Recently he has been better. Im totally cool with Hammer being in our top 4 for years to come with no Webber.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:36 AM
Bauer Warrior*

I don't know how it was invented that Hamonic was somehow a Shea Weber clone. I first heard it a few years ago. Really, I don't see any similarities. I like the way Hamonic plays in just his 2nd year. But Shea Weber is a guy who could have gone 1st overall in a draft that included Eric Staal, Zack Parise, Dion Phaneuf, Ryan Suter, and many more. In turn, making Shea Weber a generational defenseman. He's arguably the best defenseman this league has to offer.

I don't think Hamonic will reach that status. I think that Hamonic could be named to an All-Star Team someday, but I don't think he'll reach that status. I like Hamonic's game a lot, but I don't see any reason to overreact to what he can be. I can't speak for what his, or any player's, limit will be, but I think that we'll see a player who is comparable to Mathieu Schneider. He'll be tough and responsible in his own zone, he'll skate well, he'll show some offense, but I don't think he'll reach the height of Weber.

I have Hamonic as one of our 3 main building cogs. It's Hamonic, Tavares, and Matt Martin. I think these are the guys who will be the heart and soul of this team for quite a while.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Fantom

Quote:
I never stated that Hamonic was on the same level as Weber. I am stating that they have similarities in their game yet they are on different levels.
you did not have to. you stated that we all think he is a beast ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:28 AM
leeroggy

No one noted the worst part of this story:

From the 2nd round of the 2003 Draft!!

2 46 Columbus Dan Fritsche C Sarnia Sting [OHL]
2 47 San Jose Matt Carle D River City Lancers [USHL]
2 48 NY Isles Dmitri Chernykh R Voskresensk [Rus-1]
2 49 Nashville Shea Weber D Kelowna Rockets [WHL]
2 50 NY Rangers Ivan Baranka D Dubnica Jrs. (Slovakia)
2 51 Edmonton Colin McDonald R New England Jr. Coyotes (EJHL)
2 52 Chicago Corey Crawford G Moncton Wildcats [QMJHL]
2 53 NY Isles Evgeny Tunik C Elektrostal Elemash [Rus-1]
2 54 Dallas B.J. Crombeen R Barrie Colts [OHL]

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:42 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
you did not have to. you stated that we all think he is a beast ?

You're in the minority here. Beast is one thing, but most Isles fans think he is going to be great, and already very good. I even saw one thread somehwere where fans were talking about how Hammer and JT are two of the best players we've had since the dynasty years. So, nobody knoss what will happen in the future, but most fans love him.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:54 AM
AEM6729

Since I don't see a GDT yet...just wanted to say, Preds fan here visiting Nassau for the first time for the game today. Excited to see it and hope all the fans play nice!!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Since I don't see a GDT yet...just wanted to say, Preds fan here visiting Nassau for the first time for the game today. Excited to see it and hope all the fans play nice!!
Unless things have changed drastically in the last 10 years (last time I was at the Coliseum), you'll be left alone. I can only imagine that things have gotten more tame in that time. Pretty much, as long as you don't bring a wolf pack of your drunken friends and start problems, there won't be any trouble. We hate Flyer fans, Ranger fans, and Penguin fans.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote