HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Panthers president Yormak interview with Forbes

Old
01-13-2012, 04:13 PM
flapanthersfan

vCash: 500
Panthers president Yormak interview with Forbes

Key points from the interview:

- Panthers TV ratings have more than doubled
- Attendance is up
- Sponsorships are up
- Single game ticket sales are up (i think it was 93%)

Team seems to be doing well with just half a seasons worth of success after 10 years of putrid play. Imagine if they had a legitimate contender year-in-year-out?

Move then to Quebec!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...-more-revenue/

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Undertakerqc

I guess it cant go down all the time.... althought i heard Phoenix officials say this year is much better for them as well. Will see where Phoenix will play next year...

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I guess it cant go down all the time.... althought i heard Phoenix officials say this year is much better for them as well. Will see where Phoenix will play next year...
If they can find an owner - they will be in Phoenix. That isn't the point, though, Phoenix is a totally different situation with a much different lease. These two situations aren't comparable [mod].

Last edited by Fugu: 01-14-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: not needed
Old
01-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Undertakerqc

I wonder what the TV rating are for the Panthers?

Old
01-13-2012, 04:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
I recall a thread last year about how infomercials had more viewers than the Panthers...not sure if that's still the case.

01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Undertakerqc

I read somewhere that Panthers and Coyotes had Tv ratings of close to 10000

Old
01-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Bob1321

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Key points from the interview:

- Panthers TV ratings have more than doubled
- Attendance is up
- Sponsorships are up
- Single game ticket sales are up (i think it was 93%)

Team seems to be doing well with just half a seasons worth of success after 10 years of putrid play. Imagine if they had a legitimate contender year-in-year-out?

Move then to Quebec!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...-more-revenue/
thanks to the snowbirds

Bob1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:39 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1321 View Post
thanks to the snowbirds
snowbirds are here every year - that doesn't alter the attendance figures from year to year. there was no more canadiens/rangers fans this year than there was last season. nice try though.

pathetic how people try and find every excuse they possibly can to try and chastise southern markets.

Old
01-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Coramoor

panthers are actually good this year, enough said... That's what it takes in southern markets, good teams and the panthers have been **** for a long time

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:49 PM
htpwn

Quote:
It was an abysmal .19 last year, or by comparison, less than a late night infomercial. Even if the TV rating have doubled, as Yormark suggests, they would still likely be the worst in the league.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
northeastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
panthers are actually good this year, enough said... That's what it takes in southern markets, good teams and the panthers have been **** for a long time
this is what I was thinking... if you win more people will go. but when you start to lose the bandwagon will empty... fast. but good news for the nhl

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Bob1321

Quote:
snowbirds are here every year - that doesn't alter the attendance figures from year to year. there was no more canadiens/rangers fans this year than there was last season. nice try though.

pathetic how people try and find every excuse they possibly can to try and chastise southern markets.

sorry, thanks to the new snowbirds

Bob1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:04 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Panthers' TV ratings have doubled, eh? Last published figures I've seen they had 13,400 viewers per game (that's not households, but an estimate on the actual number of people watching). Doubling a tiny number is not all that impressive.

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not from this quarter...

Interesting, and thanks for posting the link to the interview. Admittedly, ratings have been abysmal for quite some time however thats really rather moot IMO, ditto on the attendance. Anemic thanks to a combination of lousy management/coaching & location. But for sure, since Yormarks' arrival the building itself has been performing extremely well, giving the organization some air to breathe while Dale Tallon cleans up the mess on the ice left by his predecessors. Last I heard, Siegel was looking to sell. I suppose Yormarks' making the rounds with good news is all part of a prospecting campaign to find another investor or two. Id like to see them succeed, though it wasnt until a few years ago that I felt that way.

Last edited by Killion: 01-13-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Error; Siegel, not Viner looking to sell shares...
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:05 PM
goalie311

Interesting - you gotta spend money to make money, eh?

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:12 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
Panthers' TV ratings have doubled, eh? Last published figures I've seen they had 13,400 viewers per game (that's not households, but an estimate on the actual number of people watching). Doubling a tiny number is not all that impressive.
ever heard of the expression "rome wasn't built in a day"? it's been half a season of success as apposed to 10 consecutive years of abysmal hockey.

another crowd of 18,500+ tonight, although the play the panthers showed was awfully reminiscent of years past. terrible showing.

Old
01-13-2012, 11:15 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Not from this quarter...

Interesting, and thanks for posting the link to the interview. Admittedly, ratings have been abysmal for quite some time however thats really rather moot IMO, ditto on the attendance. Anemic thanks to a combination of lousy management/coaching & location. But for sure, since Yormarks' arrival the building itself has been performing extremely well, giving the organization some air to breathe while Dale Tallon cleans up the mess on the ice left by his predecessors. Last I heard, Viner was looking to sell. I suppose Yormarks' making the rounds with good news is all part of a prospecting campaign to find another investor or two. Id like to see them succeed, though it wasnt until a few years ago that I felt that way.
viner was looking to sell? i don't remember that....i remember cohen looking to sell 2 years ago and viner/seigel took over as general partners (with seigel relinquishing full control not too long after)

Old
01-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
viner was looking to sell? i don't remember that....i remember cohen looking to sell 2 years ago and viner/seigel took over as general partners (with seigel relinquishing full control not too long after)
Ooops, sorry about that. I meant Siegel. Heres a link to the story and theres a thread here on the boh boards that was started on the subject when it came up earlier this month.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/366737...HC-Sources-Say
http://twitter.com/stusiegel

Old
01-13-2012, 11:51 PM
jigglysquishy

13,400?

That's gotta be wrong. How can it be so low?

In my city of 275,000 there's probably 50,000 on average watching hockey on a given Saturday.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Undertakerqc

The Panthers will move at some point i am pretty sure. They just wont keep on finding owners who are willing to lose a ton of money every year. I hear Carolina still havenet found someone to buy the minory shares that are for sale. As soon as Karmanos retires or die this franchise will move. Same as for the Florida owner

Old
01-14-2012, 12:01 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ooops, sorry about that. I meant Siegel. Heres a link to the story and theres a thread here on the boh boards that was started on the subject when it came up earlier this month.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/366737...HC-Sources-Say
http://twitter.com/stusiegel
my computer is awful so the video wont play for me. what does it say? last i heard, siegel was only a minor partner of our ownership group , so i dont forsee it as a big deal if hes looking to sell off his part.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:03 AM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
It was 3000 households so now that would be 6000 households. Still a ways to go but a definate baby step in the right direction.

I would hazard to guess that a team like the Winnipeg Jets are drawing similar numbers in places like Brandon and Thompson Manitoba.

Quote:
The Florida Panthers continued to suffer through TV problems. The clubís 0.16 rating and 3,000-home average were both league lows. Atlanta didnít fare much better on FS South and SportSouth, finishing second to last in ratings and households.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...N-ratings.aspx

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
my computer is awful so the video wont play for me. what does it say? last i heard, siegel was only a minor partner of our ownership group , so i dont forsee it as a big deal if hes looking to sell off his part.
Not much really. Just that he's a minority partner & wishes to move on. Nothing earth shattering. The other links to his twitter account with plenty of "thanks" and "best wishes" from his friends & supporters in South Florida, and if you scroll down you'll see his comments confirming his intention to sell... I dont know that the timings the greatest, what with the possibility of a lockout or work stoppage next October combined with a sluggish economy but who knows?. Depends on how many shares he's got, price etc. Yormarks quite the salesman so I wouldnt sweat it.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:04 PM
EmersonBeatemEtem
Watcha gonna do!!!!

Quote:
The Panthers will move at some point i am pretty sure.
No.... they won't. Do you realize how much money there is down here? No way does the NHL abandon South Florida in the forseeable future. Hell, if its taken the league this long to finally give up on Phoenix (and only are they willing to give up on it since no one wants to own a team there) then there is no way the Panthers are going anywhere. Besides, as has been mentioned many times on this board, the Panthers have a sweetheart arena deal where they pocket revenue from non-hockey related events. Phoenix on the other hand is merely a tenant and doesn't see any non-hockey related revenue. No way are the two teams situations the same.

I would put the Panthers in the same category as say... Nashville. A team that is finally starting to turn the corner despite years of mismanagement. As someone else so eloquently put it, Rome wasn't built in a day.

EmersonBeatemEtem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:29 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marillion-fan View Post
No.... they won't. Do you realize how much money there is down here? No way does the NHL abandon South Florida in the forseeable future. Hell, if its taken the league this long to finally give up on Phoenix (and only are they willing to give up on it since no one wants to own a team there) then there is no way the Panthers are going anywhere. Besides, as has been mentioned many times on this board, the Panthers have a sweetheart arena deal where they pocket revenue from non-hockey related events. Phoenix on the other hand is merely a tenant and doesn't see any non-hockey related revenue. No way are the two teams situations the same.

I would put the Panthers in the same category as say... Nashville. A team that is finally starting to turn the corner despite years of mismanagement. As someone else so eloquently put it, Rome wasn't built in a day.
I believe that to be completely untrue. The NHL are currently being paid an arena management fee in Glendale (25 million) and also get to keep all the revenues from concerts, trade shows, bull riding etc...The COG receives some revenues through a ticket surcharge but the owners (NHL) keep all the revenues generated at jobing.com.

Florida appears to be a healthier market than Phoenix and the Panthers are not going anywhere in the near future.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote