HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Panthers president Yormak interview with Forbes

Old
01-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I believe that to be completely untrue. The NHL are currently being paid an arena management fee in Glendale (25 million) and also get to keep all the revenues from concerts, trade shows, bull riding etc...The COG receives some revenues through a ticket surcharge but the owners (NHL) keep all the revenues generated at jobing.com. Florida appears to be a healthier market than Phoenix and the Panthers are not going anywhere in the near future.
Ahh. What the op fails to perhaps understand or mention is that the NHL does in fact have the same ability as the Panthers in Sunrise to realize greater revenues through concert & event bookings in Glendale, but apparently have chosen not to pursue those avenues despite working with Lieweke & AEG in Phoenix. The Panthers, since Yormarks arrival, have been maximizing non-HR to the point now where the building is actually profitable and once Tallons' plans & acquisitions start catching up with the rest of the business plans you just watch; that franchise is going to blossom and become a model that most will want to emulate.

They also have a lease that runs through 2025 or something so anyone calling for relo outta South Florida should have another think & take a good long hard look at what there doing down there. Literally from the brink of death, worse even than Phoenix or Atlanta, this is one Hell of a story thats being written. I mean seriously, the frikin arena's in an area colorfully called Alligator Alley. You can practically get there by Airboat & Outboard. There shouldnt be any problems in Tampa, Carolina, Nashville, Phoenix or Dallas when you take a look at Florida & what theyve accomplished with far greater challenges. Add Houston, Birmingham & get Atlanta back in the game already. Now were talkin!...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Patofqc

I heard all about the sweetheart arena deals in the Phoenix situataion. There is just not enought hockey fans in Florida to make it work longtime.

Patofqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I heard all about the sweetheart arena deals in the Phoenix situataion. There is just not enought hockey fans in Florida to make it work longtime.
There won't be if the team continues to lose in perpetuity. However, since they've had a decent turnaround this year, if they can keep that up for a few years, they can improve their fan base with ease.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Jonas1235

Not many people know this, but the Panthers are among the top teams in the NHL with regards to local sponsorship money.

Biggest problem is that there isn't enough 18-25 year olds following the team. But that will come with winning. Yormark even said himself that the market is families down there.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:29 PM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
Not many people know this, but the Panthers are among the top teams in the NHL with regards to local sponsorship money.

Biggest problem is that there isn't enough 18-25 year olds following the team. But that will come with winning. Yormark even said himself that the market is families down there.
Yeah, definately no one in their 20's gives a damn about the Panthers down there.

I've been to Scottsdale and discussed the Coyotes, and I've been to fort lauderdale to discuss the Panthers and people have millions of excuses for not liking Hockey.

dronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jr Shabadoo View Post
Interesting - you gotta spend money to make money, eh?
spend money?

EDIT: Panthers are 6th or 7th in the league in payroll iirc.

Last edited by Finnish your Czech: 01-14-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:34 PM
KingLB

Nice article about a Southern market?!?!?!?!

Canadians unite! Burn this thread to the ground!

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post

Over-enthusiast article on a southern market. We're straigthening the facts.

Shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
spend money?

EDIT: Panthers are 6th or 7th in the league in payroll iirc.
http://capgeek.com/charts_index.php

assuming my counting is correct, the panthers have the 21st most expensive roster in the league

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Putting a better product on the ice and people will come, good for them.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:46 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
Over-enthusiast article on a southern market. We're straigthening the facts.
How do you straighten facts? They either are or they aren't...Was part of the article a lie?

Or do you mean to say, your putting a negative spin on the facts?

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:56 AM
razor ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post

Just a question by why are so many Canadian's against the growth of hockey? I rarely view these boards but just about every third post is moving teams back to Canada. I could understand wanting more teams in Canada but how does that help the game grow? I look at Nashville as a good success that could have never happened because the plug was almost pulled on them.

Having a bunch of NHL teams in small Canadian markets does nothing to help the growth of the game and the NHL. I don't get it.....but I'm also not Canadian.

razor ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:38 AM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor ray View Post
Just a question by why are so many Canadian's against the growth of hockey? I rarely view these boards but just about every third post is moving teams back to Canada. I could understand wanting more teams in Canada but how does that help the game grow? I look at Nashville as a good success that could have never happened because the plug was almost pulled on them.

Having a bunch of NHL teams in small Canadian markets does nothing to help the growth of the game and the NHL. I don't get it.....but I'm also not Canadian.
Three things:

First, a Canadian who lives in a place like QC, Hamilton or even Ssk who loves Hockey can not go see games on a regular basis.

Second, people in places like Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, etc would find a game facing a rival more exciting than some random team in the South.

And thirdly, why should we give a damn about growth into the Southern States where Hockey is mocked or looked down upon?

All Canadian sentiments are the same, put teams where they are wanted then expand to places where Hockey is not.

Old
01-15-2012, 11:54 AM
razor ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronald View Post
Three things:

First, a Canadian who lives in a place like QC, Hamilton or even Ssk who loves Hockey can not go see games on a regular basis.

Second, people in places like Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, etc would find a game facing a rival more exciting than some random team in the South.

And thirdly, why should we give a damn about growth into the Southern States where Hockey is mocked or looked down upon?

All Canadian sentiments are the same, put teams where they are wanted then expand to places where Hockey is not.

I do agree with point 3 but I think those perceptions are changing. I live in Phoenix and hockey is not looked down upon as we built ice rink number 10 (we had only a couple before the Yotes) with more on the way. The stadium is simply built in the absolute wrong place of town in the middle of nowhere and if they went with the original plan in Scottsdale the Yotes would likely not even sniff relocation. I also do business in Miami and I do agree hockey is not priority and is down the list.

As for points 1 and 2 can you really imagine a team in Ssk vs having a team in say Seattle? I cant imagine long term growth of the game and league really helping with moves like that. It would be like putting an NBA team in Evansville, Indiana.....die hard basketball fans but the NBA would never consider that. The NBA would put a team in Montreal or Vancouver before that.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:05 PM
blues10

Quote:
I do agree with point 3 but I think those perceptions are changing. I live in Phoenix and hockey is not looked down upon as we built ice rink number 10 (we had only a couple before the Yotes) with more on the way. The stadium is simply built in the absolute wrong place of town in the middle of nowhere and if they went with the original plan in Scottsdale the Yotes would likely not even sniff relocation. I also do business in Miami and I do agree hockey is not priority and is down the list.

As for points 1 and 2 can you really imagine a team in Ssk vs having a team in say Seattle? I cant imagine long term growth of the game and league really helping with moves like that. It would be like putting an NBA team in Evansville, Indiana.....die hard basketball fans but the NBA would never consider that. The NBA would put a team in Montreal or Vancouver before that.
The NBA would fail in Montreal and has already failed in Vancouver.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:22 PM
dronald

Quote:
Unfortunately it's too late for that now though, the team is stuck in Glendale and it's a poor excuse.

The perceptions are not changing when everyones watching College Basketball, College Football, NFL, NBA, Golf and anything else before even giving a damn about Hockey.
Quote:
That's it though, if you put a team in Ssk and then go to Seattle, everybody wins. Although Ssk is not ready for a team I was just using that as an example. The NHL should go places where they know it would work and then go to experiments.

And yeah, Montreal and Vancouver would fail.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:25 PM
matCH penalty

It's all well and good that florida is barely halfway through its second semi-sucecssful season in twenty years, but one season won't (and shouldn't) change anyone's perceptions of the franchise given how we've heard this story before. If in five years the television ratings are slightly less of a complete embarrassment, and the ownership hasn't moved drafted players because they can't or won't afford to pay them what they want to stay, then perhaps all this bluster will be deserved. Right now it's pretty hilarious.

Quote:
Just a question by why are so many Canadian's against the growth of hockey?

"Growing the game" is not a universal principle. It's an empty platitude that has absolutely no emotional draw for a lot of people. You need a new Canadian kryptonite line, because this one isn't working.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Um, speak for yourself dronald... the Genies' already out of the bottle. Has been since the first major wave of Expansion in 67. While I agree with your own and many others opinions that Expansion was was both ill-conceived & executed, we cant turn the clock back. The NHL is a business and in order to retain its status as the pre-eminent league & grow its revenues it was necessary. The WHL & the AHL/IHL were licking the NHL's boot heels and in order to keep them at bay, down, Expansion, take over their markets. That wasnt enough though, as witness the rise & fall of the WHA.

Now that its' done, teams in Florida, Texas, California X's 3, Arizona etc, it behooves the league to maintain, support & nurture those markets & ultimately expand even further to places like Houston etc. At the same time, its "core" market of the Northeast & Pacific Northwestern US & Canada should be shored up; teams awarded to Hamilton & Quebec City, Seattle & or Portland. Since 1980's Miracle on Ice, which inspired generations of American kids to pickup a hockey stick, the US has provided & continues to develop some unbelievable talent, some of them coming from places that only 10 years ago seemed completely improbable. This is a good thing. Why cant hockey have its cake & eat it too?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
The NBA would fail in Montreal and has already failed in Vancouver.
Not so much here in Vancouver blues. Con job. The Grizzlies were bought by a Carpetbagger and were absolutely on the rise. Intransigent ownership, Arthur Griffiths blowing his load on the Expansion Fee's and a new building, McCaw... Sterns' admitted on numerous occasions that the league was absolutely re-miss in not fighting harder to retain the market. Montreal as well IMO could shoulder an NBA franchise but thats another topic...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:57 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
The Panthers will move at some point i am pretty sure. They just wont keep on finding owners who are willing to lose a ton of money every year. I hear Carolina still havenet found someone to buy the minory shares that are for sale. As soon as Karmanos retires or die this franchise will move. Same as for the Florida owner
Then you've heard wrong. They announced close to a dozen new partial owners for the team earlier this season.

http://www.canescountry.com/2011/11/...north-carolina

Nice try though

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:00 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
It's all well and good that florida is barely halfway through its second semi-sucecssful season in twenty years, but one season won't (and shouldn't) change anyone's perceptions of the franchise given how we've heard this story before. If in five years the television ratings are slightly less of a complete embarrassment, and the ownership hasn't moved drafted players because they can't or won't afford to pay them what they want to stay, then perhaps all this bluster will be deserved. Right now it's pretty hilarious.

"Growing the game" is not a universal principle. It's an empty platitude that has absolutely no emotional draw for a lot of people. You need a new Canadian kryptonite line, because this one isn't working.
There is no way that TV viewership is any form of success. Yes it has doubled. but going from 3000 households to 6000 households and doubling from .16 -.19 to .40 does not make hockey TV viewership in Florida successful.

I have my doubts that the recent .38 local viewership for Panthers games would surpass the ever popular Doodlebops and new late night infomercial for the Schticky lint roller. I would call it a baby step in the right direction and nothing more.

An article from last season.

Quote:
Florida Panthers fans got round of bad news as their team made national headlines for having TV ratings in Florida that lose out routinely to infomercials and kids programming. Hockey has had a tough time grabbing attendance and TV ratings in many Southern markets. I’m not sure what the solution would be but when your games lose out to a kid’s show named Doodlebops, an AbCoaster exercise equipment infomercial, and the Ninja Professional Blender, Chopper and Ice Crusher infomercial you have a problem.

The Panthers .19 local rating was the worst in the NHL among the 22 teams studied by Sports Business Daily (numbers for Carolina, Nashville and Canadian teams were not available). That means that more people probably fall asleep to an old rerun of Baywatch than watch a Panthers game. Ouch!
http://thepuckdoctors.com/2011/02/fl...o-infomercial/

Old
01-15-2012, 01:04 PM
razor ray

"Growing the game" is not a universal principle. It's an empty platitude that has absolutely no emotional draw for a lot of people. You need a new Canadian kryptonite line, because this one isn't working.[/QUOTE]

Nashville worked out.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
You know this...how?? Lived here? Gauged the interest? Visited?? Doubt any of those are true, and you clearly DON'T know.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...-in-miami.html
Article about fans coming out to watch a publicly held practice. And here's the back of the building:

I avoid this area because I despise the uneducated who come in here claiming to know "facts," but don't have a clue. Especially the stupid post above.

Not going to waste too much of my time, but after 7 or 8 years of missing the playoffs, the arena was sold out down the stretch just a few years ago when we missed by half a point to Montreal. People love this team. People here LOVE hockey. Arenas have sprung up all over since hockey came to Florida. Kids in an NFL hotbed are foregoing the sport so they can play hockey. There's hockey in schools and the colleges, wasn't a thought when I was in school.

Let's see how teams when they miss for a decade...oh wait, two original sixes in Boston and Chicago had dismal attendance after being lousy for only a few years. Same with Pittsburgh, Washington, the Island, and supposedly Jersey struggles now while being a good team.

Please, educate yourselves, and don't speak of "fact" when you don't have a clue.

01-15-2012, 01:14 PM
razor ray

Quote:
Unfortunately it's too late for that now though, the team is stuck in Glendale and it's a poor excuse.

The perceptions are not changing when everyones watching College Basketball, College Football, NFL, NBA, Golf and anything else before even giving a damn about Hockey.

That's it though, if you put a team in Ssk and then go to Seattle, everybody wins. Although Ssk is not ready for a team I was just using that as an example. The NHL should go places where they know it would work and then go to experiments.

And yeah, Montreal and Vancouver would fail.
Vancouver and Montreal were examples as to growing the game of basketball like what the NHL is doing with hockey. Big untapped market with tons of growth vs. a small market with lots of fans.

Vancouver had a horrible owner, hardly won any games (terrible GM), and had no efforts in building the franchise and team yet had 13k per game. If Aquilini, I think we all agree is a very smart business man, has his way he will buy a NBA team and move them back to Vancouver so I guess he disagrees with you:

http://blogs.canada.com/2011/12/14/s...-to-vancouver/

So is my point as why move the NBA to say Tucson (which loves basketball) or to Montreal or Vancouver? Same thing with the NHL why move to Ssk or Hamilton when you could move to Seattle, Portland, Houston, etc?

I know emotion is involved in this topic and I'm not trying to offend any of our friends to the North its just more curiosity on my part.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 01-15-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: invalid link
Old
01-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
You know this...how?? Lived here? Gauged the interest? Visited?? Doubt any of those are true, and you clearly DON'T know.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...-in-miami.html
Article about fans coming out to watch a publicly held practice. And here's the back of the building:

I avoid this area because I despise the uneducated who come in here claiming to know "facts," but don't have a clue. Especially the stupid post above.

Not going to waste too much of my time, but after 7 or 8 years of missing the playoffs, the arena was sold out down the stretch just a few years ago when we missed by half a point to Montreal. People love this team. People here LOVE hockey. Arenas have sprung up all over since hockey came to Florida. Kids in an NFL hotbed are foregoing the sport so they can play hockey. There's hockey in schools and the colleges, wasn't a thought when I was in school.

Let's see how teams when they miss for a decade...oh wait, two original sixes in Boston and Chicago had dismal attendance after being lousy for only a few years. Same with Pittsburgh, Washington, the Island, and supposedly Jersey struggles now while being a good team.

Please, educate yourselves, and don't speak of "fact" when you don't have a clue.
They might sell some tickets, but they are selling them at redicously low price compare to true hockey market. I heard of promos in florida that if you did groceries in some supermarket you got 2 free tickets for a Panthers game... How many of those sellouts you tell me about were free tickets or really low price tickets

Patofqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:24 PM
blues10

Quote:
Nashville worked out.[/QUOTE]

I would say that Nashville has shown some decent fan interest the past couple of seasons. However, ticket prices remain low and that is not a sound busines model. It is hoped that by "luring" fans in at cheap prices the fans will be become "hooked" on hockey. Ticket prices would then be raised to a more sustainable level.

The jury is still out on this.