HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#43|Jan. 14, 2012|Flyers at Predators|8:00 p.m. ET

Old
01-14-2012, 10:50 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
if you only read game day threads you might get that impression
Fair enough, I'm not on here as much as before.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:03 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Jagr?

Also I think they should go with:

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr (for one more game atleast. If they continue to struggle badly you switch it up)
Simmonds-Couturier-Read (Probablly our best line tonight. Read and Couturier have this chemistry together and it showed yet again. Couturier gets points while playing on a line with Read. They work well together)
Briere-Schenn-Voracek (Little razzle dazzle and hopefully Briere starts doing something)
Rinaldo-Talbot-HarryZ (I think Talbot should be on the 4th line compared to Couturier or Schenn and plus this line can hit hard and maybe the odd goal)
Yes, totally agree. Key there IMO is Briere to the wing and talbot on the 4th

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Bryz to the break.

As much I think Bob has played better, but what happens if we see a Bob of last year do we turn to Leights?

Bryz has to be the guy. He needs to playing out there and this has to be his team.

If he gets his games and fails then I have no issue letting Bob do the job but Lavy needs to let this guy play and Bryz has to take this chance and run with it.

I agree. This is the only way to go. This back and forth crap has to stop.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:23 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo View Post
Preds fan in peace.

I don't think Ilya was as bad as you guys seem to think he was tonight. The all around effort wasn't that great. Hopefully you guys can turn it around, and do good in the East!
It's the fact that a good game is the exception for Bryz that is annoying us. If Rinne was putting up near league-worst stats more than half way into the season you'd know how we feel. Lucky man....

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:26 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Jagr?

Also I think they should go with:

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr (for one more game atleast. If they continue to struggle badly you switch it up)
Simmonds-Couturier-Read (Probablly our best line tonight. Read and Couturier have this chemistry together and it showed yet again. Couturier gets points while playing on a line with Read. They work well together)
Briere-Schenn-Voracek (Little razzle dazzle and hopefully Briere starts doing something)
Rinaldo-Talbot-HarryZ (I think Talbot should be on the 4th line compared to Couturier or Schenn and plus this line can hit hard and maybe the odd goal)
Not bad... my lines would be:

Hartnell-G-Jagr
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Voracek-Schenn-Briere (Briere is right hand stick, Voracek is lefty)
HarryZ-Sestito-Talbot

But my real ace in the hole is: SERGEI BOBROVSKY

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Orange Crush 89

At this point **** Bryzgalov. I thought the Flyers were getting an elite goaltender this off-season and here we are pretty much halfway through and the only words I have for my thoughts on him is "he sucks." He's just not anything like I was expecting and he sure as hell isn't living up to the money he's being paid. Such a complete and utter letdown and waste. He seems like a nice guy, and he's funny. That's all well and good, but when it comes to hockey he's just really disheartening.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:08 AM
CerpinTaxt

How was Gus Gus?

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:27 AM
kimmofan44

just watched the game.... bryz let up 3 goals on the first 20 shots. i know the 3rd goal was a little flukey but still, i'm starting to wonder how many more times i can call goals flukey when it seems like every game.
can people start to agree with me that teams know how to effectivly shut down the g line? they don't give them any space and no quality chances. its apparent that giroux is getting frustrated that he has no room out there.
the pp combos aren't getting it done and i'm getting tired of watching our guys struggle to maintain possesstion with the man advantage.
glad to see couturier getting ice time!

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:03 AM
SolidSnakeUS

The only goal I can remember that I can't blame on Bryz is the 2nd one, considering it doesn't look like he saw it at all.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:13 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
How was Gus Gus?
Made a few nice plays. Didn't really have a strong impact negatively nor positively.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:34 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I am really, really getting tired of Bryzgalov's act. His bad positioning, his bad body language on the ice, the ****ing excuses for him. It has gotten old and old really, really fast. He is getting paid a lot of money. too much in fact. Make the saves you are supposed to make, make a big ****ing save every now and then and shut up. Please the media is trying to bait you into saying something dumb and to make you look bad and you fall for it.
Jagr needs to rest. he isnt healthy, I know we have issues with JVR out now, but hes sure not helping out there. I would sit him for a couple weeks.
Giroux needs to shoot the puck more. too many forced passes.
There is no way we can go into the playoffs with this group of defenseman.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:48 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I think the third Predators goal is one that, if Bryzgalov had had a 2.37 GAA and a .917 sv% (fairly average numbers, that is) we would have shrugged off as a flukey goal that happens sometimes. They're happening a bit too often this season however.

Anyway, too bad that the third period wasn't the best. I thought we played pretty good otherwise for the most part. At least offensively. We created a lot of chances, and had a lot better movement than the past few games. Defensively we could definitely play a better positional game, especially the first period was terrible.

The last minute or so was pretty much an instructional video in how to not play 6 on 5 hockey though. I don't know what the hell Giroux tried to do. Him and Jagr had another really rough game (Jagr is most definitely injured). Until they get their act together again, someone should knock them on their heads and yell "keep it simple". They probably shouldn't have been out on that PP either. I have to give some credit to Hartnell though. He's always giving a solid effort all over the ice, even if that line can't get anything going offensively at the moment.

Bourdon had a pretty strong game as well. Gustafsson was better than Lilja's been I think, but if he wants to stay up after we've hopefully acquired some other dman he has to do a little better. I thought Coburn played pretty well as well. He could perhaps done a better job on the first goal, but overall he had a solid game.

It's no shame to lose to Nashville in their arena though, Rinne was great in goal for them and for as much *****ing about Giroux and Jagr as I've done, one has to remember that they were up against pretty good defenders tonight. Weber didn't give Jagr much room to work with.
Agree with most of this...Bourdon was pretty solid all night, snuffing out puck carriers and making clearing plays and quick outlets...I thought he looked better than Gusty, who seemed a bit over-anxious at times.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The only goal I can remember that I can't blame on Bryz is the 2nd one, considering it doesn't look like he saw it at all.
So what was he supposed to do on the third one? Go into butterfly mode, exposing the upper part of the net? There's pros and cons to each stance, but seeing as how the puck was deflected and he saw it late I don't see how the blame is on him.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:47 AM
BillDineen

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/

Bryz interview. Stupid beat writers playing up hard shots and Bryz saying "what can I do?". He is paid to make the hard saves Rinne, Lundqvist, Thomas make. Makes me sick. These excuses are complete crap.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:40 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Well, current Bryz is as good or worse then Leighton is.

I like when Bob plays. We dont have to hear the 10000 reasons as to why Breezy didnt play good.
That explains why I get at least as nervous (if not moreso) when the other team gets a shot on Bryz as I did when it was Leighton.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:27 AM
CSKA1974

Last night loss for me was one of the many latest games (including wins), that are very frustrating to watch. And not taking anything away from poor goaltending, but the whole team has been looking weak.
My next statements will draw ire, but there they are:

Flyers do not look like a well coached team, where people know, understand and execute their assignments. Flyers look lost on the ice at times in all 3 zones, sometimes it feels like they do not know what to do with the puck. There appears to be no offensive zone enter of own zone exit strategy.

Offence: Passing (tape to tape) game has been sporadic at best; there is no consistant screening in front and too much play behind the goal line. At times, they look like a "pick-up" hockey team- the team that has not practiced together.

Defence: There is no real system in place and the players often chase the puck in their own zone, just to turn it over again. In a lot of cases they do not take of the porch and commit too many breakdowns in all 3 zones leading to way too many goals against (regardless who is a netminder).

Goaltending: there is enough said about this. Bob has earned to start, but the "musical chair game" started last p/o continues.

So, in conclusion, I do not believe that the coaching staff are doing their job well and deserve at least a fair discussion on this forum.

CSKA1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:04 AM
PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Even on this play about ten seconds earlier there was a weak shot that came in to his blocker side, I felt he could have reached across and caught that stopping the play.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:23 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Last night loss for me was one of the many latest games (including wins), that are very frustrating to watch. And not taking anything away from poor goaltending, but the whole team has been looking weak.
My next statements will draw ire, but there they are:

Flyers do not look like a well coached team, where people know, understand and execute their assignments. Flyers look lost on the ice at times in all 3 zones, sometimes it feels like they do not know what to do with the puck. There appears to be no offensive zone enter of own zone exit strategy.

Offence: Passing (tape to tape) game has been sporadic at best; there is no consistant screening in front and too much play behind the goal line. At times, they look like a "pick-up" hockey team- the team that has not practiced together.

Defence: There is no real system in place and the players often chase the puck in their own zone, just to turn it over again. In a lot of cases they do not take of the porch and commit too many breakdowns in all 3 zones leading to way too many goals against (regardless who is a netminder).

Goaltending: there is enough said about this. Bob has earned to start, but the "musical chair game" started last p/o continues.

So, in conclusion, I do not believe that the coaching staff are doing their job well and deserve at least a fair discussion on this forum.
I partially agree.

On offense: You really just mean the Giroux line plus Briere, right? The other lines are playing at least adequately, and players like Couturier and Simmonds have been working really hard. Our problem is that when the G line doesn't produce, we have issues scoring enough to win, -plus- it takes down the PP too. It's probably time to mix up the lines a little bit, but I expect this to be a short term issue that will sort itself out over the next couple of weeks.

On defense: I agree this is a coaching issue, but I don't think you fix it without getting rid of Lavy. He was brought in to coach a team where he had a defensive that can play his style, and right now we don't have that. When you have Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, and Mezaros spread out over your 3 pairings, you can get away with the aggressive forechecking, because when it fails, the defense can handle the 3 on 2 coming back the other way. But Coburn can't anchor a rookie by himself, so without Pronger the whole thing kind of falls apart. The Flyers need to address this, but I suspect they are going to wait until they decide if they are a Cup contender or not.

On Goaltending: Bob should be the starter right now, no doubts about it. But you have 8 more years of Bryzgalov, so you can't just bench him. I would hope that Bob gets 6 out of 10 starts the rest of the way, but Bryzgalov is going to get his share of games to keep him involved and hopefully work his way out of the slump. He's a much better goalie than we've seen here in Philly, and if we don't give up on him, we'll see it eventually, even if it is next season.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Kaktus*

Bryzgalov is lucky we play a lot of game on the road. If he plays like that in Wachovia center Flyers fans will boo him. I have no doubt.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:19 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
good lord. you made my point for me. GAA and Save% have nothing to do with whether a goal bouncing off a guys pants, then off the ice is a 'bad goal' ..... it's either a flukey goal that happens sometimes or it isn't.

my point is that people here are not being objective. ever think that the other team's player might have made a great shot Like Couturier did ?
That was kind of my point as well. I guess I should have been more clear about it, but I blame it on being 5 AM here when I wrote it, my brain ain't wired to function properly at that time.

If Bryzgalov had those numbers, that goal wouldn't have been considered a bad goal I think, at least not by most people here. He's having terrible numbers though and this is the gdt. People aren't objective. We've had quite a few more or less unlucky bounces going in against us this season as well. At one point you ask yourself if it really is bad luck, or is it something else.

Now, I've never played goalie, but I think that the goal last night was that kind of flukey goal that just happens. Bryzgalov has to open up to follow the puck initially and then it deflects. Some of the other deflections this season he should have had, had he been properly positioned though.

That's the main problem for him I believe. Bryzgalov is a goalie that lives off his positioning, he is not gonna wow you like Thomas or Fleury, or even Bobrovsky. He doesn't quite have that lateral movement or athleticism in general. His positioning this year is a bit off though. He's much too deep in net, I think. In part, I would imagine, because of his rough start. It's a false comfort kind of thing.

I didn't want Bryzgalov in the summer, but he is a good goalie. I'm confident he'll get out of this slump, I just hope he can turn it around sooner rather than later.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:24 AM
311unity13b

Send a message via AIM to 311unity13b
I went to the game last night and it just seemed that nobody has that jump in their skates at all. It was frustrating to watch. Bryz is just a $50, 000, 000 piece of cheese.

311unity13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:41 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

The problem with Bryzgalov is that he's out of shape. Look at his games from Phoenix and watching him now, it's very clear that he's labouring out there trying to make the initial stop. Previously, he makes those first stops and he also makes saves on most deflections and screens just by his positioning. Even his positioning is terrible this year. On top of it, he just doesn't seem to have the lateral movement that he had last year.

Bryzgalov has never really had a bad season before and he was due to have one. Yes, it sucks that this year had to be the year, but none the less, he's never really had a bad year or faced any sort of adversity like he's facing now. It's kind of like Joacim Eriksson last year in Sweden - last season was the first season he faced any sort of adversity and this year, he's a better player because of it. I'm thinking the same thing of Bryzgalov - next year will be a stellar year because he was horrible this year and took a lot of things for granted.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
just watched the game.... bryz let up 3 goals on the first 20 shots. i know the 3rd goal was a little flukey
and which of the first 2 goals was his fault ?

the one where the entire rink thought the puck was shot one way, but was blocked, then the guy gets a follow up shot through a crowd ? 1st

the one he never saw ? 2nd

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The problem with Bryzgalov is that he's out of shape. Look at his games from Phoenix and watching him now, it's very clear that he's labouring out there trying to make the initial stop
what??

i watched him track the puck and move very well last night, never was flopping, or on his belly like Bob was .... he was calm and in control all night

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
and which of the first 2 goals was his fault ?

the one where the entire rink thought the puck was shot one way, but was blocked, then the guy gets a follow up shot through a crowd ? 1st

the one he never saw ? 2nd
You know that you are trying to find explanation for a goalie that 41st in GAA and 43rd in Sv%. At some point fans have to admit something just ain't right.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote