HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 06:13 PM
m9

vCash: 500
I'd love to see Henderson vs Mir. If the Cain/Mir fight doesn't happen, it would be one of the few fights that makes sense for both sides. Could work for Fox, too.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I think in this specific instance it's more a case of Hendo not being interested in it because it does nothing for him.
Exactly.

During his media session today, Dana said Henderson wants to wait for the Jones/Evans winner and get the next title shot. So unless he has a sudden change of heart, he won't be fighting anytime soon.

According to Vitor Belfort, Henderson turned down a fight with Anthony Johnson at MW and after that he also turned down the Lil Nog fight. There's not much Joe Silva or anyone else can do when it comes to Henderson.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:12 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Having Henderson fight Rumble Johnson makes absolute no sense at all. No wonder he turned it down.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
02-02-2012, 07:19 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Exactly.

During his media session today, Dana said Henderson wants to wait for the Jones/Evans winner and get the next title shot. So unless he has a sudden change of heart, he won't be fighting anytime soon.

According to Vitor Belfort, Henderson turned down a fight with Anthony Johnson at MW and after that he also turned down the Lil Nog fight. There's not much Joe Silva or anyone else can do when it comes to Henderson.
Hendo/Rumble makes no sense, and Lil Nog isn't in Hendos league right now. Machida is a top 5ish LHW so that fight makes sense. I think Hendo is making a mistake at his age by sitting on the sidelines.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Hendo/Rumble makes no sense, and Lil Nog isn't in Hendos league right now. Machida is a top 5ish LHW so that fight makes sense. I think Hendo is making a mistake at his age by sitting on the sidelines.
He won't be sitting on the sidelines long. Bones vs. Rashad is the end of April. Bones is young and wants to fight, and its very likely he dispatches of Evans fairly easily and comes away injury free. Silva vs. Sonnen is July. Early August Bones and Henderson could go at it. Hendo fought Shogun at the end of October, so we'll say between Henderson's two fights, he has 10 months off. That's nothing Rashad Evans hasn't done. Heck, ZUFFA even forces some of these guys to take huge amounts of time off in between fights for TUF. Frank Mir was off 11 months between the first fight vs. Brock and the title fight against Nog. And really, looking at Henderson's track record, and his age, a little time off shouldn't hurt him. Hendo is a big time performer and will give the young buck a hell of a fight.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:51 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
He won't be sitting on the sidelines long. Bones vs. Rashad is the end of April. Bones is young and wants to fight, and its very likely he dispatches of Evans fairly easily and comes away injury free. Silva vs. Sonnen is July. Early August Bones and Henderson could go at it.
That's assuming everything goes according to plan, and as Rashad can testify it often doesn't go that way. Sitting on the sidelines forced Rashad to take fights against Tito & Davis when he was supposed to be fighting for the title after he fought Rampage. Hendo is no spring chicken, and one injury (either to himself or Jones/Rashad) could mean he goes a year between fights.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:52 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
On the contrary, I think its smart. He's what, 42 now? He just had an absolute war in his last fight but he came out on top. Why take another fight and risk injury this late in his career? My guess is he's holding out for one last fight for the title and then walks away after that.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:59 PM
m9

We'll see. If Jones or Rashad got injured before their fight, I'm sure Henderson will be in there. What if Jones/Rashad is a 5-round? They may want to do a rematch in the Summer. If the UFC is scrambling for a main event late-Spring, maybe Henderson gets big money to fight Rampage if he gets by Bader. I can see why Henderson would want to wait, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic because I really want to see Henderson fight.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
We'll see. If Jones or Rashad got injured before their fight, I'm sure Henderson will be in there. What if Jones/Rashad is a 5-round? They may want to do a rematch in the Summer. If the UFC is scrambling for a main event late-Spring, maybe Henderson gets big money to fight Rampage if he gets by Bader. I can see why Henderson would want to wait, but it doesn't always work out that way.

The UFC only does immediate rematches in case of fights like Shogun/Machida where it went to the judges and most people disagree with the ruling or Edgar/Maynard when it ends in a draw. Any other outcome from Jones/Evans, you have to think they throw Hendo a bone and give him the winner.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:23 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
The UFC only does immediate rematches in case of fights like Shogun/Machida where it went to the judges and most people disagree with the ruling or Edgar/Maynard when it ends in a draw. Any other outcome from Jones/Evans, you have to think they throw Hendo a bone and give him the winner.
Eh, they also did Penn/Edgar and probably would've done Silva/Sonnen if Sonnen was available. In most of the very competitive title fights, which aren't many, its at least been an option. Unlikely, yeah, but there are countless guys who tried to wait out their title shot and had it backfire for various reasons.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post

That could be a fight he would accept if Jones gets injured. I think it might have been before the Shogun fight but I remember him saying he would like to avenge that loss.

I think Jones will beat Rashad pretty easily though and there will be no need for a rematch. Henderson will get his title shot in the summer and if Rampage wins, maybe have him fight Rashad next. Jones/Henderson and Rampage/Rashad can headline their own cards and they will sell too. This might be the Rampage fan in me talking but Rampage wasn't right in their first fight. He had to cut like 40 lbs during that camp and there was a lot of ring rust. That was one of the worst performances of his career and it wasn't because Rashad is that much better than him.

Not sure where that leaves Shogun and Machida though.

Old
02-03-2012, 02:24 AM
BGDDYKWL

I personally think Henderson's playing this real smart. The Rumble and Nog fights made very little sense in general, and while Machida is still a top five 205er, where does it get Henderson to fight him? He's next in line for a title shot anyway. He wins, he gets the title shot. He sits, he gets the title shot. Why risk losing when winning offers you essentially no benefit. Henderson also has the option of fighting Anderson at 185 should he beat Sonnen. Highly unlikely both Jones and Anderson are out an extended period of time. Sure ring rust seems to be a real thing, but I'd much rather a longer layoff than to have to beat Machida to keep my title shot.

Old
02-04-2012, 03:49 PM
The Rage

People always bring up Rashad screwing up his title chance, but they largely ignore the counter argument. Look at Pettis losing his title shot by staying active. Look at SF`s Fedor-Overeem superfight going up in smoke because they tried to build it up with other fights for Fedor first. Rashad himself could have fought Jones in September if he had not taken a fight in August. Then the August fight ended in injury and he could not even fight Jones in September. He might have waited a year for nothing, but when he tried to stay active, he missed not one but two title shots (September and December). There is no right answer in this situation. It probably makes sense that a young guy like Pettis decided to stay active and continue improving, while a more mature fighter Henderson decided he didn`t want to risk the last title shot he is likely to get in his career. He`s not going to have the opportunity to put up another win streak to get another title shot if he loses his next fight.

Old
02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Brandon Vera is injured and just like that the rematch with Thiago Silva is off.

For such a bad/mediocre fighter, Vera talks a lot of ****. Silva would easily beat him. I thought this would finally be the end of Vera in the UFC but I guess this means he'll stick around for a bit longer.

Old
02-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Vera's heart isn't into it anymore.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:07 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Brandon Vera is injured and just like that the rematch with Thiago Silva is off.

For such a bad/mediocre fighter, Vera talks a lot of ****. Silva would easily beat him. I thought this would finally be the end of Vera in the UFC but I guess this means he'll stick around for a bit longer.
What the hell kind of a match was this anyway. Silva was cleared to fight in Jan, making him wait another four months was pointless, and his prize at the end of a 16 month absence was the last guy he faced who he beat pretty thoroughly to the point of having his opponent cut from the UFC. Silva is a relevant fighter who brings violence--give him a relevant fight Joe Silva.

Last edited by The Rage: 02-04-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old
02-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
What the hell kind of a match was this anyway. Silva was cleared to fight in Jan, making hime wait another four months was pointless, and his prize at the end of a 16 month absence was the last guy he faced who he beat pretty thoroughly to the point of having his opponent cut from the UFC. Silva is a relevant fighter who brings violence--give him a relevant fight Joe Silva.
Maybe they wanted Thiago to finish the job.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:35 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
What the hell kind of a match was this anyway. Silva was cleared to fight in Jan, making him wait another four months was pointless, and his prize at the end of a 16 month absence was the last guy he faced who he beat pretty thoroughly to the point of having his opponent cut from the UFC. Silva is a relevant fighter who brings violence--give him a relevant fight Joe Silva.
I didn't mind the idea, gives him a chance to prove that him clowning Vera in the first fight wasn't because of the 'roids. I'm really looking forward to Thiago coming back though, him vs Rampage would have been awesome.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:08 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Jones vs. Evans official for UFC 145.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ta-at-UFC-145/

Old
02-07-2012, 12:26 AM
CNS
A World Alone

I would thoroughly love to witness a one sided beating with Jones walking out looking worse than Hendo/Shogun combined from their fight and Evans with the gold around his waist. And I'm not even a Sugar Rashad fan.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:04 AM
DeathFromAbove

I don't see how Rashad wins that fight. I actually see some value in Jones at -475, and his odds to win inside the distance will be even better.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
I don't see how Rashad wins that fight. I actually see some value in Jones at -475, and his odds to win inside the distance will be even better.
I could see Jones losing. Ive kind of changed my stance on this a bit. Rashad is very familiar with Jones, maybe that gives him a bit of an edge that others havent enjoyed? Rashad is underrated as a fighter by many of us (including myself) because he is so despised.

Old
02-07-2012, 02:47 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Rashad definately has a chance.. He's very well rounded, can hold his own and throw KO power standing up, and can wrestle with the best of them

Old
02-07-2012, 03:09 PM
m9

I like Rashad's chances better than Machida or Henderson's, but I'm not betting against Jones anytime soon.

Old
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
BGDDYKWL

Vera just saved himself another beating. The guy talks too much. I'm not saying he's not legitimately hurt, but I don't think he wants to fight Thiago again near as much as he makes out.

Odds are about right on Jones-Evans IMO. I just can't envision how Rashad wins that fight (aside from the old puncher's chance).

Closed Thread