HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

How good was Bob Probert? (Awesome Tribute Video @ Post #1)

Old
06-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Killerguitar101*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
#1 of all time.

Better than that? He could score 20 goals a year in his hayday

Killerguitar101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:38 PM
alpine4life

to me me its pretty simple, I've started watching hockey in the mid 80's and he's the only goon that I've only respected in the NHL (If he can actually be called a goon)

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
BerSTUzzi

29 goals with 400 PIM, could you imagine if he only had 300 PIM how many goals he could have scored.

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Flex Buff Chest

Against most enforcers today I would still pick Probie.

RIP

Flex Buff Chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Flex Buff Chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
29 goals with 400 PIM, could you imagine if he only had 300 PIM how many goals he could have scored.
Oh Probably 40-50 goals, easy.

Flex Buff Chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:12 PM
FMichael

Probert - one of my all time favorite Red Wings...His book is a good read - def worth checking it out...Made an interesting comment on how much $$$ he'd make in todays game when ya consider how there is a depletion of players in the "power forward" mold (as in 20 plus goals with 150 plus pims).

FMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:42 PM
PelagicJoe

vCash: 570
R.I.P. Bob Probert. In my opinion, he was the best there was.

PelagicJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Helm

IMO, it's between Probert and Kocur as the greatest fighter in the history of the NHL. Probert was one bad dude.

Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyofail View Post
To say Berube "shouldn't be anywhere near a best fighter discussion" knocks Probert down another few pegs -- very similar guys. Pretty much an equal amount of fights against much of the same opposition and with basically the same sort of W-L record -- and as I mentioned Berube was better than Probert head-to-head.

As far as Kocur goes, since you like putting up clips, go ahead and put up a clip of Kocur's fight vs Dave Richter. It pretty much puts to rest any discussion of Kocur in a best fighter discussion -- hard puncher, not a great fighter
Glad I changed your name, your post is all kinds of dumb and so disingenuous that I honestly think you are just a nonsensical troll.

Lol wow Kocur lost a fight, heavens to Bettsy. Players I have spoken to, that played in the NHL during this time, say those 2 to a man, were the consensus toughest, with Kocur getting the nod by most. But I should take your word over them...............yeah ok.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Does Rick Tocchet head butt Probert in this vid? Look at .26 second on.

[YT]http://youtu.be/qdgwSBRUwEc[YT]

edit: My embed didn't work, but the link does

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:54 PM
mcbain942*

Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Troy Crowder NJ Devils

he was the best, until Troy Crowder of the New Jersey Devils beat him 2/3 times and tied on the third. Still Troy is the Rocky Marciano who didnt last in the nhl to injury or talent.

I would have to listen for the rematch on radio when some away New jesey devil games wouldnt be telivised back then

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:14 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Just realized yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of his death. RIP to the heavyweight champ. I met him once and he was a real class act to this fan.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:44 PM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by traditionalhockey View Post
Probert was/is "The King." As far as enforcers are concerned, he is #1 all-time... and no one touches him. Not Wendel Clark... not Schultz... not Twist. No one. As a matter of fact, most "top three" lists are 1) Probert; 2) Behn Wilson; and 3) Dave Brown. Who's #2 and #3 is debatable.

Probert is #1 for a few reasons. When judging fighters, you have to look at:

- Fight Card - His is top three.
- Results - He beat just about everyone he fought.
- Avenging Losses - He lost some too; but he came back to beat guys like Domi, Ewen, D. Brown, and Crowder.
- KO/TKOs - Curran, Nylund, Semenko, D. Brown, McGill, Crowder, Maguire, Grimson, Odgers, Smith, Quintal, Simpson, Kimble, Domi, Parker.
- Enforcing - He was a legendary enforcer. He protected Yzerman. Look no further than --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOI3mwK5YLw
funny thing is on the tribute video there's no clark vs probert.why is that maybe because clark would beat his ass down.close those eye' clarkie and swing.it was fun to watch R.I.P PROBIE

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:10 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

There wasn't a tougher enforcer who could take an honest shift in NHL history. Nobody in this era could touch him outside of a few 3 min or less a game players (MacIntyre, Boogaard, Laraque).

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:13 PM
J Murda

Hockeyfights's yt channel has recently put up some beauties.

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:29 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyofall View Post
Like Ken Belanger for one. That loss all by itself drops Probert at least 1 place on any all-time list; probably the most lopsided and embarrassing loss ever suffered by an elite heavyweight.

His chin was suspect on more than one occasion -- dropped by Todd Ewen, Morrisette, and Chris Tamer. These guys are not all-time fighters; the last two are run-of-the-mill guys.

Chris Simon gave Probert a lopsided beating. Sandy McCarthy easily beat Probert even after Probert jumped him. Probert was so soundly beaten and embarrassed he resorted to headbutting McCarthy. Troy Crowder manhandled Probert twice -- Probert fans brag up his "revenge" win over Crowder, but don't remember Crowder beat Probert worse than the first beating later in the same game. Paul Laus ragdolled and busted Probert open. Way too many lopsided beatings

Probert is a top 5 guy in DET. In CHI he embarrassed himself more than anything
Man you are ignoring a lot, pretty much any decent list composed has Probie number 1. Taking fight card, longevity, win loss, everything like that, there are some guys you can debate with about it but none that are decisively better. And even the "losses" on Probies fight card usually came with a beating much worse then the previous loss.

You clearly are off your rocker, especially saying probie was a top 5 in Detroit. You take away his Chicago years and its easily Probie number 1

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'd rather be blind folded and have to fight Chara than fight Probert with a 2 X4 and he was blindfolded...

Guy was insane. I'm sure there were players who were tougher than he, but they didn't last because they had less skill than me in the playing department.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:02 PM
fetalposition

I guess people have different opinions about how head to head fights went, living in Calgary, I go to every flames wings games, saw probie fight berube and sandy live, and saw probie destroy both. (great games those were, also got to see Mccarty fight stern and kruse lots)

fetalposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

If probert were forced to tie down half his legend disappears.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:00 AM
halloffame
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweed View Post
the man was unreal. his stamina was off the charts.

in his prime, probert was the most feared heavyweight ever. yzerman was a lucky SOB!
probie kocur gallant

halloffame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 07:02 AM
halloffame
Rookie User

i would love to see a young probie and larryrobinson

halloffame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Trognitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Niedermayer View Post
Indeed. Probert never got his ass kicked by Larry Robinson.

he lost. hardly an ass kicking

Trognitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:03 PM
57special

vCash: 335
Larry Robinson was a great player, but not a great fighter. He might've won the odd fight against a tough guy, but that wasn't his role. Bouchard, Lupien, or Lambert did that. Wendel was a SUPER tough guy, but again, that wasn't his main role. Same with Cam Neely. You don't waste that sort of talent by having them be the team's fighter. Al Secord and Ted Lindsay would be two examples of players that straddled the line between goon and player

Probert was right up there with best. I always thought John Ferguson was one of the best punchers i ever saw. Probert was like that, but bigger and with more boxing skills.
Kocur was a rung below.

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 07:06 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Berube shouldn't be anywhere near a best fighter discussion.

Most of the guys you mentioned were never near as prolific. Crowder, Twist, Worrell etc. please, I played with a few of them (not professionally) and they weren't even good beer league players. Every fighter has taken his lumps if he fights 15 + times a season. That means double when said fighter actually fights and doesn't hold on he is dancing with his girlfriend, like some of the above you mention.

That said Probert wasn't the toughest guy on his own team, Kocur was.
Wasn't that berube's rookie season? read the book goon and the writer in there said he heard stories after those two losses berube contemplated another career.. who could blame him. He fought two pretty tough dudes there and he was a rookie... anyways i think the way it should be said is that Shultz made the enforcer position and probert perfected it. Shultz scared the crap out of guys of his generation but they still fought him. Probert scared the crap out of guys in his generation and some of them were very tough. I'm only 28 but from the youtube videos i've seen this is my quick list.. its obviously not the be all end all

Probert
Shultz
Gilles
Brown
Behn Wilson
Playfair
Kocur
Kordic
O'Reilly
Berube

I was gonna give them rankings but it would be a **** show of crap flying everywhere. Others can add to that list if they want. I'm sure theres more.

Obviously you can look up the stats

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Trognitz

Berube fan but don't se him in the top 20

Trognitz is offline   Reply With Quote