HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

2012 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Old
01-14-2012, 06:38 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhockeylover96 View Post
How ignorant. I didn't know REAL Coyotes fans could ONLY reside in PHX. I grew up in PHX but my job has me in Texas now. Guess I should have converted to a Dallas fan then? What about Tucson? Flagstaff? Are they fake fans too? Ever thought that a Canadian that spends the winters spending money in PHX (you know that time hockey is ongoing?) may have grown to love this team? Your comments prove that elitists don't just live in the north.
Not to speak for Sinurgy, but I don't think he was arguing that anyone isn't a "real" fan. He was just confused as to why someone who didn't live within driving distance of the stadium would feel they had a stake in where the team played. As someone who lives and has always lived in the Northeast, I understand completely where mitch27 is coming from, but I also understand why that might not make sense to a local fan.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:54 PM
zerekstar

I'm Canadian and grew to be a fan when they were in Winnipeg. I contract for a large company that has properties all over and while I am not able to work in the states, I can stay at our properties in Phoenix to take in the games from time to time. And because I have arthritis from a time when I broke my neck as a kid, I hope to retire in Arizona as my doctor says the climate there would probably do me wonders. So even as a Canadian, they are my team too and I want them to stay right where they are.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Every thread turns into a relocation/ownership thread.

Can we just talk about the topic at hand here? I'm sick of this political ********.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:19 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Not to speak for Sinurgy, but I don't think he was arguing that anyone isn't a "real" fan. He was just confused as to why someone who didn't live within driving distance of the stadium would feel they had a stake in where the team played. As someone who lives and has always lived in the Northeast, I understand completely where mitch27 is coming from, but I also understand why that might not make sense to a local fan.
Yah I didn't take offense at all and that's why I just answered the question to the best of my ability. No harm, no foul. Thanks none-the-less to crazyhockeylover for sticking up for me though. I think we need to do more of that instead of being at each other's throats.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Yes exactly, that's why I didn't mention the phrase "real fan" at all. I was merely trying to understand why someone who doesn't live here would seem to genuinely care so much if the team relocated. I wasn't attacking anyone, as far as I'm concerned if you follow the team regularly you're definitely a fan.

Anyway, thank you mitch27, zerekstar and even crazyhockeylover (though you got a little crazy on me) for explaining your reasoning.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:56 AM
Builditagain*

Can everyone out there please e-mail GMDM and request that he actually make some deals before the deadline and prefably now, while this team implodes before our eyes.

Builditagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:41 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
Can everyone out there please e-mail GMDM and request that he actually make some deals before the deadline and prefably now, while this team implodes before our eyes.
No thanks. Have some faith.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:40 AM
AZcoyotes33

I feel like this club is only a few pieces away from being a playoff team. If you look back at some of the games that the Yotes have lost, they were by very small margins. Both Dallas games, the 1st Rangers game, etc.

As of right now Im not sure this team could make the playoffs, but I think if we can add some offensive players we will be able to make a run into the postseason. The Yotes need a playmaking forward. Someone who can enter the zone with speed and CONTROL the puch into the offensive zone. He does not need to be someone who scores an incredible amount of goals, but someone that gives this team some offensive pressure.

Last edited by AZcoyotes33: 01-15-2012 at 11:46 AM.
AZcoyotes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:55 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
I feel like this club is only a few pieces away from being a playoff team. If you look back at some of the games that the Yotes have lost, they were by very small margins. Both Dallas games, the 1st Rangers game, etc.
I agree.

To be honest, I expected to see the Yotes get killed by the Bruins. And the Rangers. And the Red Wings. I haven't followed hockey long enough to be an expert, but I knew enough to recognize those teams as some of the big players.

Instead, they not only take them to OT, they give them a run for their money! In the case of the Rangers, it wasn't OT - but it was a lucky shot in the last 1/10 second.

If they weren't a decent team, they would have been shut out or we would have seen them lose 4-1 or 5-2 in RT.

They've come thisclose to actually winning some big games against some very good teams. Teams that tend to go far in the playoffs. So they're definitely not a BAD team.

Then again, you see something like Friday night and it kind of destroys faith. I look on that as a fluke though - they were on the road for so many games, and had played such a good game the night before, I think they probably relaxed a bit in the hopes of an easy win. Maybe they relaxed a bit too much...

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:06 PM
crazyhockeylover96

I totally agree that the team needs more offense. We also need a backup that can win more than 3 out of 14 GPI. Might as well let a rookie goalie get some experience with that kind of record. I know LOL is suppose to be great in the locker room but we're not looking for mister nice guy who will help pack up your stall at the end of the regular season. The team has no confidence in him. Even his mustache has a giant 5 hole.

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Hanzal is a huge piece, the defense just struggles when he's not there. When he returns, it lifts everyone's game.

As an very infrequent observer of games at 3am, the most notable players to me are Boedker and OEL. Boedker is a true 200 foot player, just everywhere. Both he and OEL are learning to control and dictate the play more and more. Whitney is the only one who does that. Yandle did it last year but seems to be doing it far less now.

The playoffs look tough to reach but I'm sure we wont end up with a top 10 pick either.. the worst of both worlds. However we have a great GM and coach in place. I guess we'll see Rundblad flipped for a centre prospect like McNeill.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
The playoffs look tough to reach but I'm sure we wont end up with a top 10 pick either.. the worst of both worlds. However we have a great GM and coach in place. I guess we'll see Rundblad flipped for a centre prospect like McNeill.
One can hope. There will always be teams looking for a young blueliner with top-3 upside, and Don Maloney has a couple in the system, even excluding Yandle and OEL. A major trade just seems so unlikely right now. Basically, every team with a young center who could help us now will be asking for Yandle or OEL. Not happening. Or, at least, I hope it doesn't.

If we're out of the race at the deadline, maybe a Whitney + Rundblad package could get us our center. Do you think there's a contender out there who would part with a young, skilled center in exchange for A) a skilled veteran winger for the playoffs and 2) blueline scoring for the future?

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I'm bowled over with OEL's progress. If Yandle doesnt improve, it wont be much longer before OEL is the #1 defenseman which he might be anyway. He's basically improving twice as fast as Yandle or Mara did, plus he has physical presence too.

If we're out, trading Whitney makes sense, virtually every team would want him. I would rather not package Rundblad since I dont see any available young centre who is worth that much. Just look at the interest in Turris who has a poor track record and a bad reputation. Plus Whitney would get to choose his team.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:04 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
One can hope. There will always be teams looking for a young blueliner with top-3 upside, and Don Maloney has a couple in the system, even excluding Yandle and OEL. A major trade just seems so unlikely right now. Basically, every team with a young center who could help us now will be asking for Yandle or OEL. Not happening. Or, at least, I hope it doesn't.

If we're out of the race at the deadline, maybe a Whitney + Rundblad package could get us our center. Do you think there's a contender out there who would part with a young, skilled center in exchange for A) a skilled veteran winger for the playoffs and 2) blueline scoring for the future?
Very rare a team would part with a young skilled center currently on the roster. Your best hopes would be for a prospect not in the big leagues yet.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Plus Whitney would get to choose his team.
Haha, when it comes to trade speculation, NTC's do have a way of crashing the party.

Assuming for the moment that we find a contender that Whitney would waive his NTC to join, I still think we'd need to include one of our D prospects in the deal. I agree that Rundblad is not just a minor-league throw-in. The point of including him in an offer would be to attract attention from the big boys, the clubs who can afford to trade away a young "plus" center who is unquestionably ready for prime time. To get that kind of value, it seems like a safe bet that DM will need to give up more than a rental player, of which the Wizard would be the dictionary definition.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:13 PM
hbk

Any moves by Maloney will likely focus on assets that help in the long run. My initial thought on the Turris deal was Maloney was merely stock piling pieces that would help him move up on draft day to grab an impact forward prospect. Something that could be packaged up with other pick(s) to grab an asset. My initial thoughts were tempered by the sell job Maloney gave in the press conference where we talked about comparisons to Zubov and specific fit of right handed shooting d men in our top 4. That being said, an additional late first and/or 2nd round picks all help Maloney come the draft.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I really really REALLY hope the team doesn't end up in ****ing Quebec. If that's the case, **** it, I hope DM goes on a buying spree. Mortgage the future in an effort to make one last run at finally getting out of the first round of the playoffs. Gormley, Rundblad, their 1st and 2nd rounders would fetch some very nice rental players.
I can certainly understand being pissed off that the team is relocating. I'm confused about why you would be pissed about QC specifically, however. What's the scoop?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:08 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Tippett has been in either Texas, California or Arizona since 1994. I don't think after 18 years in the Southwest, he's just dying to go live in Quebec City. I seriously doubt it. He's too good. He can get a job anywhere he wants. Any low budget team should be DYING to add him.

Patrick Roy, on the other hand has been a god in QC with the Ramparts for a half decade.
You are right on about Tip! he has no interest in QC or a few of the cold weather cities.

mesamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:50 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Even his mustache has a giant 5 hole.
This is amazing.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:06 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I totally agree that the team needs more offense. We also need a backup that can win more than 3 out of 14 GPI. Might as well let a rookie goalie get some experience with that kind of record. I know LOL is suppose to be great in the locker room but we're not looking for mister nice guy who will help pack up your stall at the end of the regular season. The team has no confidence in him. Even his mustache has a giant 5 hole.
The mustache bit made this the post of 2012.

I agree. If the guys love him so much, make him assistant mascot and junior assistance equipment manager. Then go get a real back up. Everybody wins.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Yup - McBackup looked ok. He should get some time up here. LaBarbara lost it. I don't know why, but like a pitcher who loses the strike zone, LOL lost it.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:45 PM
SR

What do you guys think about brining in Ryan Malone?

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
What do you guys think about brining in Ryan Malone?
As a UFA signing at some point or as a trade? The latter scenario has zero chance of happening given a NTC and our ownership situation. We are just not an attractive franchise right now.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Speaking of buying and selling, I think the relocation writing is pretty much on the wall at this point. I'd ask Doan if he'd like a chance to go to Vancouver and contend.

Doan to Vancouver a 1st+2nd
If you offered this one season ago, the Canucks would do it.
But since we acquired Booth, we have zero interest in Doan, especially if that's the price for him. We have 8, maybe 9 top 6 forwards on the team right now, we don't have room for another.

What the Canucks do need is a top 4 d-man, and I know Morris has been bad this season, and you guys want him out.

Would you move Morris + a little something for Ballard?
Ballard started off the season very poorly (going -11 or something in a month and a half), but he went a month and a half with no minus games, and is currently even +/- and has been playing decently.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:55 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
If you offered this one season ago, the Canucks would do it.
But since we acquired Booth, we have zero interest in Doan, especially if that's the price for him. We have 8, maybe 9 top 6 forwards on the team right now, we don't have room for another.

What the Canucks do need is a top 4 d-man, and I know Morris has been bad this season, and you guys want him out.

Would you move Morris + a little something for Ballard?
Ballard started off the season very poorly (going -11 or something in a month and a half), but he went a month and a half with no minus games, and is currently even +/- and has been playing decently.

Ballard's contract is awful pricey. Are you sure that something wouldn't need to come Phoenix's way instead?

The Canucks skill is impressive but teams prey on their lack of physical play and while the Vancouver PP is a very effective I'm not sure they can last if they draw teams like Chicago and the Bruins again in the playoffs. Can they withstand a 7 game war against a physical team? I'm not sold that they can duplicate a Stanley Cup Final appearance and even less so that they can win the cup without some added grit to their lineup. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.