HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

2012 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 03:00 PM
DesertDawg

vCash: 500
Too hard to move Nash for what the BJs wanted for fair value. Look for them to move Nash during the off season. And the Coyotes play the BJs 3 more times this season.

Last chance to tweak their lineups.

I really didn't expect Maloney to mess up the roster, considering how they are doing ATM.

Also read on the web site that Whitney wants to play a few more years...

Canucks traded Hodgson (for Kassian) after acquiring Pahlsson, that'll make it harder for the Coyotes to win the conference...

DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

When Maloney addresses the media I hope he gives an update on our injured guys. I imagine if Maloney thought Klesla and/or Brule was going to be out for a long period of time that he would've made a few moves. All in all, I'm happy with the deadline. San Jose will be a little tougher to play against with Winnik and Galiardi, but at least they didn't acquire Nash. L.A. does have a significant amount of scoring on their roster after the Carter deal, but they gave up defense. It will be an interesting ride from here on out.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:19 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Don't forget Dom Moore. San Jose basically replaced half of their bottom six forwards. Interesting.

02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

We got Vermette, I'm ok with standing pat today. I would have liked to have moved DeMo/Pyatt for pics but it's ok to have that depth, we can still move DeMo in the summer.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:37 PM

I was not shocked about the lack of moves today for the Coyotes. I figured if there was anything it would be a small move, so no move isn't far off. In a lot of ways I'm not surprised by the lack of moves overall.

With the deadline being 2 weeks earlier now than it was years ago, and the increased parity in the league, it just makes sense. More teams are "in it" and there are not as many sellers. I think if the deadline was in 2 weeks you'd see a lot more movement as teams settle into place and know where they will be in April.

San Jose definitely improved and you would think they would surge back into the division lead. Nashville definitely solidified it's position so you don't expect them to slip in the standings. Fortunately none of the teams on the bubble below the Coyotes made much of a move to make the playoffs (Avs, Flames, Wild, etc.).

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Howson is such a moron. Exposes Nash's trade request. Then tries to act all coy and close to the vest by refusing to answer minor questions. Straight up IDIOT. No, no you can't have any details that have no impact on anything, but i will GLADLY share with you information that will completely compromise my trade leverage in talks with other teams. How the **** does a guy like that get GM job in the NHL? My god.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Howson is such a moron. Exposes Nash's trade request. Then tries to act all coy and close to the vest by refusing to answer minor questions. Straight up IDIOT. No, no you can't have any details that have no impact on anything, but i will GLADLY share with you information that will completely compromise my trade leverage in talks with other teams. How the **** does a guy like that get GM job in the NHL? My god.
he drove the bus over Nash.

That was all designed by Howson to put the pressure entirely on Nash in hopes it opens it up for him to trade him to any team in the NHL rather than the short list he was provided. A nice little FU to the agent as well after he went public over the weekend.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:37 PM
CitizenCoyote

Did anyone expect the Avs to be sellers to this extent? They are playing really good hockey and are only two points out of a playoff spot.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I don't know if you can really blame Nash. I feel terrible for Blue Jackets fans, but Nash has done more than given that team a chance and it's pretty clear that franchise is going nowhere, especially since no one higher up has the decency to fire Howson.

Blubba Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Don't forget Dom Moore. San Jose basically replaced half of their bottom six forwards. Interesting.
San Jose would be a much bigger worry if they landed Nash but we lucked out as their time of overpaying for players is finally catching up with them as they didnt have the resources to do it and Columbus didn't give in at all.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
I don't know if you can really blame Nash. I feel terrible for Blue Jackets fans, but Nash has done more than given that team a chance and it's pretty clear that franchise is going nowhere, especially since no one higher up has the decency to fire Howson.
To be fair, Nashville had more to give than any of the other teams Nash had put in his list and he wasn't willing to goto Nashville even though Nashville would instantly be a Cup Contender with him. Plus the likes of Suter and Weber would re-sign extensions as a result, so I don't feel too bad for Nash in this case but I do feel for the fans.

Also, compared to Doan, Doan would be more worthy of wanting out of this team than say Nash out of Columbus.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 02-27-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
MP

Howson knows how important this trade is, both for the franchise and for his future in the NHL. There's a good chance that he will not be Columbus's general manager next year, but if he "wins" this trade for the BJs, he may not fall off the map entirely.

Unfortunately for him, openly discussing Nash's trade request pretty much takes him out of the driver's seat. Now he's trying to play hardball? It is to laugh.

MP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

As far as SJ's moves I'd say the Sharks are going to miss McGinn as much as they added in Winnik. If Galiardi can turn a switch on and play to his potential then SJ got stronger for the push this year, otherwise Doug Wilson is just further emptying an already bare cupboard but giving up more prospects. Getting Nash would have been a disaster for SJ, they have top players, they needed the depth they picked up, though I'm still suspect of they're depth on D and goaltending.

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct
Getting Nash would have been a disaster for SJ, they have top players, they needed the depth they picked up, though I'm still suspect of they're depth on D and goaltending.
Couture getting injured the other night may have been a blessing in disguise because it kept San Jose from doing something stupid (rumors of trading Couture as part of deal for Nash). Not sure how these moves will effect their play right now, hopefully they continue to struggle.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Here's a link to Maloney's post-deadline press conference.

Blubba Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Fantastic presser. I love Don Maloney. Guy is hilarious and awesome.

"I don't do anything but drink coffee and worry". Haha.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:24 PM
amjay13

You have to wonder if Maloney was the Yotes GM 10 years ago if they'd be in this current financial situation. The man knows what he's doing.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:45 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Man I always love hearing what Don Maloney has to say, the guy just gets it!!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:53 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
You have to wonder if Maloney was the Yotes GM 10 years ago if they'd be in this current financial situation. The man knows what he's doing.
Moyes would have run the team into the ground regardless. Columbus is going through what the Coyotes endured during the Gretzky years. Wonder how long they will be able to keep it up.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote