HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Old
01-27-2012, 09:18 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
It's a contract year in Washington, too. Semin is on pace for 49pts.

Carter? 35.

If your goal is to cash in the future for one last run, I really don't think this is the way to go.

Ribeiro and Morrow, for example, I feel would be a way better combo to throw the future away on if you have no care for life after this season.

Personally, I do not want to see us take that strategy. I figure we sell off Doan, Whitney, and Aucoin for young assets and pray we get an owner willing to spend, one way or another.

01-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It's a contract year in Washington, too. Semin is on pace for 49pts.

Carter? 35.

If your goal is to cash in the future for one last run, I really don't think this is the way to go.

Ribeiro and Morrow, for example, I feel would be a way better combo to throw the future away on if you have no care for life after this season.

Personally, I do not want to see us take that strategy. I figure we sell off Doan, Whitney, and Aucoin for young assets and pray we get an owner willing to spend, one way or another.
True on Semin but one could argue getting out of Washington might be good for him and Carter that's not really a fair assessment, he's been hurt a large portion of the season and in fact is hurt now. At any rate, I was just responding to rabbit's proposal, those aren't players I would necessarily target if DM decided to go with the big splash strategy.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I think many might agree on Semin, but Semin would probably be the last guy to agree. He's never even bothered to learn English, he's so insulated in Washington. He's got Ovechkin's shadow to hide behind so the spotlight never shines too bright. He's like jay bouwmeester but worse, because he's a foreigner. This might be a great market for him because there is no media and no pressure. But he'd probably be miserable without a handful of Russians on the team. Thats just not a demographic we have in the valley.

Carter is a fantastic player. I won't take anything away from his game. Carter and Hanzal would give us unbelievable size and dynamism up the middle. I'm not worried about Carter the player. It's the man and the market I'm not sold on. He signed a deal to stay in Philly forever and Paul Holmgren stabbed him in the back. Now he's sulking in Columbus. He's saying all the right things but sleeping through the season. A whole lot like Kyle Turris' little stint in Phoenix this season. I just don't see any reason why he'd be any happier in either Phoenix or Quebec than he is in Columbus.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:01 PM
MP

Quote:
Now he's sulking in Columbus. He's saying all the right things but sleeping through the season. A whole lot like Kyle Turris' little stint in Phoenix this season. I just don't see any reason why he'd be any happier in either Phoenix or Quebec than he is in Columbus.
To be fair, Columbus's season was over almost as soon as it started. Carter isn't the only Blue Jacket who's having a hard time pretending to care.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

They said the same thing about Jokinen.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, and I'm not trying to be right. I'm just saying it seems like a HUGE gamble.

I'm eager to see how all of our young D pan out. I'm not at all turned on by moving ANY of them before we know exactly what we've got.

Old
01-27-2012, 03:17 PM
MP

Push comes to shove, I doubt I'd trade for Carter either. If we got the 30-30-60 Carter the Flyers traded away, I'd be ecstatic. If we got the "Crying in Columbus" Carter, we'd look like fools. And I think I know which one we'd end up with.

I thought the "trade all our assets and act like the NHL is a fantasy league" schtick was a joke anyway. I knew I should have used more exclamation points.

Old
01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, and I'm not trying to be right. I'm just saying it seems like a HUGE gamble.

I'm eager to see how all of our young D pan out. I'm not at all turned on by moving ANY of them before we know exactly what we've got.
He was a drunkard. He was. He sobered up 2 years ago and is now starting to play up to his potential. It was in some article I read a couple of months ago. I can't remember where to site, to take it for what it's worth.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
He was a drunkard. He was. He sobered up 2 years ago and is now starting to play up to his potential. It was in some article I read a couple of months ago. I can't remember where to site, to take it for what it's worth.
I mean "cite".

Old
01-27-2012, 03:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

No. That article stated he sobered up in Florida.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
To be fair, Columbus's season was over almost as soon as it started. Carter isn't the only Blue Jacket who's having a hard time pretending to care.
Not to mention Carter has lost almost 2 months of his season to injury.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
I thought the "trade all our assets and act like the NHL is a fantasy league" schtick was a joke anyway. I knew I should have used more exclamation points.
I don't think it's a joke, if DM is almost certain the team is relocating I say why the hell not?!

Old
01-27-2012, 05:13 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I don't think it's a joke, if DM is almost certain the team is relocating I say why the hell not?!
Blowing up the future for the sake of a half-baked attempt at a Cup run would not a good way to ingratiate himself with the new owner. Even if we assume Maloney would be let go if the team relocates, he's got a career to think about. He's not going to go crazy here.

Maybe you don't plan on following the team if it moves, but you never know. The NHL could pull a local buyer out of its ass at the last minute. Then you would be stuck with a team that drained its prospect pool and sold off its draft picks.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
If not employment, than reputation.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
If not employment, than reputation.
I doubt there would be much damage to his reputation and what little there was would almost certainly be negligible.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Carter is the only center right now that is a true number one, that is available. No other team is looking to move theirs. Why? It's an extremely important position. We know Carter is a skilled player, he's scored 40, and multiple 30 goal seasons. He was a valuable player for them even when Philly was struggling. He's having a rough year do to injuries and a complete ship wreck of a season by the Blue Jackets. All I'm saying is, we always complain about not having a true number one center. This may be the best center on the market in a long while. A man can dream.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Carter is the only center right now that is a true number one, that is available. No other team is looking to move theirs. Why? It's an extremely important position. We know Carter is a skilled player, he's scored 40, and multiple 30 goal seasons. He was a valuable player for them even when Philly was struggling. He's having a rough year do to injuries and a complete ship wreck of a season by the Blue Jackets. All I'm saying is, we always complain about not having a true number one center. This may be the best center on the market in a long while. A man can dream.
I agree with you 100%. I we get a shot at Carter, we should take it. We've been playing two second lines a, a third and a fourth for far too long. With Carter, we could actually roll 4 lines just like Scotty Bowman and tell the league - just try to match up with us. We won't bother to match up with you.

Old
01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I agree with you 100%. I we get a shot at Carter, we should take it. We've been playing two second lines a, a third and a fourth for far too long. With Carter, we could actually roll 4 lines just like Scotty Bowman and tell the league - just try to match up with us. We won't bother to match up with you.
Exactly. I'm not saying we have the opportunity to nab him, but I sure as hell hope we do.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 07:40 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Exactly. I'm not saying we have the opportunity to nab him, but I sure as hell hope we do.
Carter has blown out the same shoulder a few times now after playing with a separated shoulder (possibly both) during one playoff run. I think this is the new normal, and I imagine it has a lot to do why Philly was willing to move him. I think he's done.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Kaizen

In any event, the story was/is he's a bit of a locker room cancer. I'd want some comfort that there is little to no truth to these rumours before I'd entertain trading for Carter regardless of the cost in terms of assets.

Last edited by PhoPhan: 01-27-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Let's not be hasty.
Kaizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Kaibur

Quote:

I agree with you, but I think it's a catch-22.

We can't attract a premier 1C via free agency.

Any 1C that would be available in trade for anything we wouldn't puke at giving up will come with some warts.

Our track record indicates that we can't draft & develop goal scoring forwards (two 20+ goal scoring seasons in 15 years).

We all seem to agree that for this club to take the next step forward, we need a 1C, yet there are risks no matter which way we try to fill that role. We can try to mitigate those risks as best we can, but inevitably we'll still be taking a chance. I think the real problem is for a deal of this magnitude and length to be approved, new ownership would need to be in place and give the nod.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
All of those things were true of Jokinen, too. Just sayin'...

Old
01-27-2012, 10:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I agree with you, but I think it's a catch-22.

We can't attract a premier 1C via free agency.

Any 1C that would be available in trade for anything we wouldn't puke at giving up will come with some warts.

Our track record indicates that we can't draft & develop goal scoring forwards (two 20+ goal scoring seasons in 15 years).

We all seem to agree that for this club to take the next step forward, we need a 1C, yet there are risks no matter which way we try to fill that role. We can try to mitigate those risks as best we can, but inevitably we'll still be taking a chance. I think the real problem is for a deal of this magnitude and length to be approved, new ownership would need to be in place and give the nod.
Tank. Trade up. Pick Galchenyuk.

Old
01-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Tank. Trade up. Pick Galchenyuk.
We've been terrible at developing. And last year when we drafted a guy who had missed a whole year of hockey, you weren't all that thrilled. What would make him any different and doesn't that mean waiting that much longer before he actually plays an NHL game? We need a 1C sooner than later, no? Doan's not getting any younger, for instance.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
We've been terrible at developing. And last year when we drafted a guy who had missed a whole year of hockey, you weren't all that thrilled. What would make him any different and doesn't that mean waiting that much longer before he actually plays an NHL game? We need a 1C sooner than later, no? Doan's not getting any younger, for instance.
What makes Galchenyuk different from Murphy? Galchenyuk has played hockey the two years leading up to the draft. Murphy hadn't. Galchenyuk put up 1.22ppg in the OHL PREVIOUS to his draft year. Seguin did 1.10. Hall 1.43. Skinner 0.81. Landeskog 0.75. Strome 0.44. Scheifele was still in Jr. A. Tavares 2.00(freak). Duchene 0.78. Kadri 0.96. Stamkos 1.46

Shane Doan isn't winning a cup as a Coyote.

Old
01-28-2012, 01:06 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
What makes Galchenyuk different from Murphy? Galchenyuk has played hockey the two years leading up to the draft. Murphy hadn't. Galchenyuk put up 1.22ppg in the OHL PREVIOUS to his draft year. Seguin did 1.10. Hall 1.43. Skinner 0.81. Landeskog 0.75. Strome 0.44. Scheifele was still in Jr. A. Tavares 2.00(freak). Duchene 0.78. Kadri 0.96. Stamkos 1.46

Shane Doan isn't winning a cup as a Coyote.
Yeah but would he develop his game any here since our coach thinks it isn't his job to develop players? That's my only fear about drafting a great offensive player at the top of the draft. You mention Tavares. Look at Mac's numbers in the OHL leading up to his draft year. How much has he developed here? Sure, people will say he played with Tavares and it was all Tavares. That's crap imo. You don't put up those kinds of numbers just because you are playing with someone good. You have to be pretty damn good yourself. Our coaches have no desire and/or ability to take a guy with great scoring potential and give him the opportunity and coaching to translate that to the NHL. If we get that high pick and take a top scorer, I'd feel a lot better about his chance for success if we hired an assistant with a reputation of developing those kinds of players. The track record of the current group of coaches just doesn't cut it. If not, I'd rather we traded the pick in a package for an established player.

Some interesting reading not related to my comment.
http://networkedblogs.com/tg57h
Quote:
Has Jeff Carter Played His Last Game as a Blue Jacket?

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote