HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ken Hitchcock: Why the Canucks are hated

Old
01-14-2012, 03:38 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
people hate the canucks because they talk the talk but don't back it up. Super skilled, but a very soft team which starts at the top, IMO.
I don't understand the whole soft team thing. Soft because they don't fight or what? From what I know, Henrik has the second longest ironman streak in the NHL right now with +500 games, you can't tell me that's soft?

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:14 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
people hate the canucks because they talk the talk but don't back it up. Super skilled, but a very soft team which starts at the top, IMO.
Yes. 1 game from winning the Cup. You sure got us there. Stick to dumping the puck in on a breakaway Mikko

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:14 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
I don't understand the whole soft team thing. Soft because they don't fight or what? From what I know, Henrik has the second longest ironman streak in the NHL right now with +500 games, you can't tell me that's soft?
Van is 7th in fighting majors.
Their just soft.. Van, TB and MTL would have to be the 3 softest teams.

Add to that the Canucks have had some of the more 'hated' players in the last decade (ie Ruutu, Cooke) They have a few similar guys on this years roster too.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:15 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Yes. 1 game from winning the Cup. You sure got us there. Stick to dumping the puck in on a breakaway Mikko
Irrelevant

Old
01-14-2012, 04:16 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:

Add to that the Canucks have had some of the more 'hated' players in the last decade (ie Ruutu, Cooke) They have a few similar guys on this years roster too.
The Wild are softer than the Canucks. Nice try though.

Old
01-14-2012, 04:17 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Irrelevant
So they DIDNT back it up? Is that what you're saying?

Old
01-14-2012, 04:22 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
The Wild are softer than the Canucks. Nice try though.

I respectfully disagree.

Old
01-14-2012, 04:28 AM
Abaddon*

In other news, the Wild wish they could generate a millionth of the amount of caring the Canucks do.

Abaddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:30 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
So they DIDNT back it up? Is that what you're saying?
I'm not trying to start an argument just giving my opinion on why the Canucks are hated .

Old
01-14-2012, 04:50 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
I'm not trying to start an argument just giving my opinion on why the Canucks are hated .
So how did they not back up their talk then?

I'm also fairly sure your definition of soft isnt what a lot consider. I bet you think the Sedins are soft.

Old
01-14-2012, 05:28 AM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Yes.

Maybe this is just neurotic self-loathing but I think it is Vancouver itself, in a way, or how Vancouver people relate to the rest of Canada.

Consider how Vancouver has this weird relationship to Toronto, our population generally speaking prides itself on hating Toronto as though that was a tendency that we should find laudable instead of pointless and pathetic. Toronto people aren't oblivious to this; when they move here they quickly make Toronto jokes.

My suspicion, unverifiable but long-developing, is that we come off as smug jerks. Everyone knows that year after year Vancouver winds up near the top of those most liveable cities rankings put out by the Economist and whatnot.

And is a beautiful place, up there with San Francisco and Geneva for natural beauty (albeit for culture and architecture it doesn't rate in the top 200 probably). It is a year-round liveable place. The last time I had to dig my car out of the snow was 1996. This is a big deal in Canada.

So I think that a significant part of the hatred comes from the Vancouver part as much as the Canuck part of the Vancouver Canucks. Whether or not the rest of Canada envies us, we think they do.

I would add to that some of the on-ice stuff too of course. Pat Quinn was a notorious jawer of referees and I think that reputation developed and is hard to shake. As for the dirty play, we are the team of Burrows and Kesler and that disgusting "Kelly is a nice girl" type of smack. Before that was Torres and before that Cooke and J. Ruutu (who I thought was great, but, c'mon).
This pretty well explains why I cheer against the Canucks.

Really though, if the following players weren't on the Canucks (and were replaced with identical players stats-wise without the following issues), I guarantee you that they wouldn't be as hated:

Alex Burrows - Complaining publicly about the reffing, his propensity to dive, his constant complaining to the refs during games, the finger-biting incident, his arrogance in the media, his face
Ryan Kesler - His propensity to dive, his constant complaining to the refs during games, trash talking Team Canada during the Olympics ("I hate them"), his arrogance in the media
Max Lapierre - His constant complaining to the refs during games, his arrogance to the media, his super-pest-ness, his face
Kevin Bieksa - His constant complaining to the refs during games, his supreme arrogance to the media, his playing on the edge, his face
Roberto Luongo - His constant complaining to the refs during games, his arrogance to the media, anytime anyone chants "LOUUUU", his sad puppy-dog eyes

Oh, and Alain Vignault and Mike Gillis also fit into this category with how they deal with the media. They play a huge role in how I perceive the Canucks.

Contrast this with the Sedins. People rag on the Sedins, but I don't think anyone really hates them, other than the fact that they play for Vancouver and dive some. They're open for criticism because they folded in the playoffs, but they seem like really nice guys (and from talking with people who work with them directly, they are incredible human beings).

Hamhuis and Edler are two of the best defenders in the West, and people only hate on them because they're so good. I've never heard a bad word spoken about Raymond or Malhotra.

I actually liked the Canucks quite a bit and cheered for them in the 06-07 playoffs. It had a lot to do with them being a team lead by Naslund, Morrison, and Linden. These were guys that seemed to be above a lot of the cheap stuff, and let their on-ice skill do the talking (even though they were on the decline). I even liked Luongo a lot back then.

These are just my opinions, and I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'm just trying to be helpful and on topic.

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:42 AM
Abaddon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
Alex Burrows - Complaining publicly about the reffing, his propensity to dive, his constant complaining to the refs during games, the finger-biting incident, his arrogance in the media, his face
Ryan Kesler - His propensity to dive, his constant complaining to the refs during games, trash talking Team Canada during the Olympics ("I hate them"), his arrogance in the media
Max Lapierre - His constant complaining to the refs during games, his arrogance to the media, his super-pest-ness, his face
Kevin Bieksa - His constant complaining to the refs during games, his supreme arrogance to the media, his playing on the edge, his face
Roberto Luongo - His constant complaining to the refs during games, his arrogance to the media, anytime anyone chants "LOUUUU", his sad puppy-dog eyes
Try those crimes in a court above the hellhole of Edmonton fandom and you've got the average NHL player.

Abaddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Bermynuck

The amount of hate for the Canucks is proportional to the amount of joy I get from kicking other teams @ss on a regular basis.

Do people actually care that we're hated???? Do you want to be the best in the NHL and also be liked and admired by all the other teams/fans?? Not going to happen folks..

Bermynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermynuck View Post
The amount of hate for the Canucks is proportional to the amount of joy I get from kicking other teams @ss on a regular basis.

Do people actually care that we're hated???? Do you want to be the best in the NHL and also be liked and admired by all the other teams/fans?? Not going to happen folks..
No doubt, the big bad bruins, the hawks, they get hate, but they go about their business trying to win games.

And that's all we should worry about is winning games, and hope we finalllllly win a championship.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:58 AM
bradrich99

I think that the difference is that teams like BOS hold up the hatred banner as a sign of pride and embrace it. They love the fact that teams/fans hate them. VAN is like the 8th grade girl worried that others don't like her.

and yes, having turtles like Lapierre on the team doesn't help much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
It's no secret that the Canucks have a lot of players that aren't easy to like. Burrows pulls hair and bites fingers, I find him hard to like sometimes too. If he wasn't working his ass off every night and scoring big goals for our team, I wouldn't like him at all either.

Kesler is yappy, Hansen must be annoying as hell to play against, one look at Lapierres smirk would make you want to punch him in the face, Bieksa beats the piss out of guys that don't fight, Luongo makes stupid comments to the media and has shown poor body language in the past. I'm not sure why everyone seems so surprised that this team isn't well liked.

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
VAN is like the 8th grade girl worried that others don't like her.
We embrace the hate, gtfo of here.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
This is just my opinion but I think it starts in Calgary and Edmonton. I really do. The hate and venom spewed on that board was amplified and regurgitated throughout the playoffs and people of the media especially the other teams the Canucks played and just picked up on it and ran with it.

What it stems from is the fact the Canucks, in their minds, are losers, will always be, it is the order of the universe and the Canucks should always be the worst inept Francise. They hate the fans because we cannot accept this fact.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:15 PM
yourideahorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
This is just my opinion but I think it starts in Calgary and Edmonton. I really do. The hate and venom spewed on that board was amplified and regurgitated throughout the playoffs and people of the media especially the other teams the Canucks played and just picked up on it and ran with it.

What it stems from is the fact the Canucks, in their minds, are losers, will always be, it is the order of the universe and the Canucks should always be the worst inept Francise. They hate the fans because we cannot accept this fact.
Thanks for adding something new! I am convinced that the Canucks long history of being irrelevant has some impact on the hatred, especially from the old boys club of the NHL. For decades, no one had to think about the team on the other side of the Rockies, the team that is the most remote location in the league. Now they have to pay attention and its annoying because it takes up some of the time they use to wax nostalgic about Bobby Orr, the original six or the heyday of the Edmonton Oilers.

Obviously, there are many reasons the Canucks are hated starting with success as Hitchcock says, followed by McLean and subsequent (eastern) media coverage, then a few "cocky" players/some unskilled diving, and a huge fanbase with its corresponding number of children and childish trolls. Wrap that up with being forced to pay attention and a whole wack of confirmation bias and you've got this situation.

yourideahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Cooke gained most of his notoriety AFTER he left the Canucks. Prior to that, he was nothing more than Clutterbuck lite. Ruutu? meh, Avery lite. lol - the Pens have had BOTH of these guys for a number of seasons - AFTER their "rep" had been earned.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:33 PM
PearJuice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
Not all teams that win are hated. I have never met anyone who has hated the Flyers. Maybe Penguins fans might, but thats just due to the rivalry. Teams can lose and still be hated as well just because theyre a bunch of goons. Either way, I like Hitch's comments.
When was the last time the Flyers won? 37 years ago.

I hate the Flyers, and I know plenty of non-pens fans who share this opinion.

PearJuice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:36 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
When Edmonton and Calgary made the playoffs almost all of Canada were cheering for them. It was the opposite for the Canucks.
This isn't entirely true. It may have been too long ago for some but there was a time when we did actually suck, and no one hated us then. Even when we first squeezed into the playoffs as an underdog team, people cheered us on.

Problems started in year 2 of the playoffs when we gave up a 2-0 lead to Detroit, that infamous Cloutier red line goal. This gave an endless amount of food to rival Canadian trolls, and as we started turning into a good team at that point it's where it all started going down hill. First it was just among rival Canadian fan bases as we were the best team in Canada, or at least Western Canada, for a while. Becoming among the best teams in the entire league invited everyone in on it.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:45 PM
PearJuice*

Personally, I don't care if the Canucks are hated. Actually, I kind of enjoy it.

PearJuice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:51 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:

7th in fighting majors. So are 23 other teams that have less fighting majors softer teams than the Canucks?

You do realize that the Canucks lead the playoffs in hits last year right?

Old
01-14-2012, 01:54 PM
ladyicefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
When Edmonton and Calgary made the playoffs almost all of Canada were cheering for them. It was the opposite for the Canucks.
yes, thanks largely to Cpt. Hendrik Sedin, who said he did'nt care if the rest of Canada was rooting for Boston. Great leadership.

ladyicefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:55 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
Arrogance to the media? Ok that explains it, you don't watch the Canucks at all. And when you bring up the person's appearance, you know there is something wrong with your list.