HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Ken Hitchcock: Why the Canucks are hated

Old
01-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Crows*

vCash: 500
Yeah damn that bieksa playing on the edge ! Lol are you serious buddy ? Gtfo .

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:20 PM
tesplen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Too simplistic. Teams win all the time and aren't hated.
We're hated both because we win, and we're a Canadian team that's been dominant for some time. Being at the top comes with hate, and it's not at all unique to Vancouver, though it might FEEL like it because Canucks fans aren't used to it. Theoretically if, say, the Leafs had been perennial contenders for the last 5 years, and had won a Presidents' Trophy and been to the Finals, the hatred for them across the league would likely be much stronger than hatred felt for Vancouver right now.

It just comes with the territory. I remember a time on these boards when nobody gave a **** about the Canucks. It'll happen again once the Canucks are losing team.

Embrace the hate, because it means your team is doing well.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post

How come all the other teams that have missed the playoffs once and failed to win the cup even once in the past five years aren't hated so much?

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post
We're hated both because we win, and we're a Canadian team that's been dominant for some time. Being at the top comes with hate, and it's not at all unique to Vancouver, though it might FEEL like it because Canucks fans aren't used to it. Theoretically if, say, the Leafs had been perennial contenders for the last 5 years, and had won a Presidents' Trophy and been to the Finals, the hatred for them across the league would likely be much stronger than hatred felt for Vancouver right now.

It just comes with the territory. I remember a time on these boards when nobody gave a **** about the Canucks. It'll happen again once the Canucks are losing team.

I don't buy that at all.

I think that the leafs are already disliked. I agree that because they haven't won and have had miserable success lately, people aren't as vocal about it, and a sudden cup run would make the hate for them explode, but replace the leafs with a team like Ottawa or Montreal and I don't believe that they would be hated league-wide.

To be honest, I think alot of fans didn't like Vancouver all that much long before our cup run. They've just gotten more vocal about it with greater exposure.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:54 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
Arrogance to the media? Ok that explains it, you don't watch the Canucks at all. And when you bring up the person's appearance, you know there is something wrong with your list.
Yeah, that's the really annoying one. "Constant complaining to the refs". I don't care about the hate in general, it's when stuff like that just gets repeated ad nauseum by people who clearly just bought into whatever they were told by people playing up the good guys vs bad guys schtick and only watch a game or two a season I just shake my head. I don't mind if the hate is genuinely earned, it's when people just stick a label on and never bother to watch the team and find out if it's apt that annoys me.

And this isn't some "Oh noes, somebody says mean things about my team!!!1!!!" thing for me, I'm just getting sick and tired of not being able to have even the most basic conversation about the Canucks outside this forum without it degenerating into a flame/spam war within two or three pages.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:54 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
Alex Burrows - Complaining publicly about the reffing, his propensity to dive, his constant complaining to the refs during games, the finger-biting incident, his arrogance in the media, his face
Ryan Kesler - His propensity to dive, his constant complaining to the refs during games, trash talking Team Canada during the Olympics ("I hate them"), his arrogance in the media
Max Lapierre - His constant complaining to the refs during games, his arrogance to the media, his super-pest-ness, his face
Kevin Bieksa - His constant complaining to the refs during games, his supreme arrogance to the media, his playing on the edge, his face
Roberto Luongo - His constant complaining to the refs during games, his arrogance to the media, anytime anyone chants "LOUUUU", his sad puppy-dog eyes

The complaining to the refs bit is such ********.

1) EVERY player in the league does it at some point. Heck one of the most highly regarded players in the league, Toews, is perhaps one of the worst offenders for it. Yet he never gets crapped on.

2) You don't know what they are saying and if they are actually whining, or if they're whining about what you think they are.

3) Just because after a scrum or something they turn to the refs doesn't mean they are complaining or "looking" for a call, you do know that the refs speak to the players and that most people turn to the direction of where someone is getting yelled at/talked to from.

It's a myth that has exploded for the Canucks with greater traction thanks to idiotic media homers (for example Dan Tencer and Jack Edwards) and people on the internet who gobble up what those type of people say and the group-think mentality otherwise that creates this self-fulfilling prophecy situation that make it seem that they are the worst.

Canucks whine, but they whine no more than any other team or player in the league. They're just 'called' for it more because they are one of the more relevant teams that is easy to hate.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Name one. Successful teams and players always have their legions of detractors in the moment.

Detroit was soft euros and the refs were on their side.
Colorado were cheapshot artists and Forsberg was a diving whiner and Roy was a jerk.
Anaheim were thugs on ice.
Pittsburgh - do I even have to start on that one?
Chicago only won because they tanked for a billion years and Toews is overrated and Kane is a dink and so on and so on.
Boston are mean thugs that can't take their own medicine and the league is in their pocket.
Carolina, I can't remember. Probably something like they were flukes and they didn't deserve it because nobody in Carolina knows what a hockey is.
The Devils were horrible trappers that ruined hockey and made it boring.
The Rangers bought their cup.

Even for non-cup winners:

The Senators, Sabres, when they were successful etc. etc. have all had crowds of people looking to shout them down at every turn. Winning the President's Trophy somehow means you're certain to lose the Stanley cup and that's why my hometown team that finished 7th in the conference is way better. Team X that has dominated all year actually sucks, and the REAL best team is team Y that sucked until January and then caught fire down the stretch. And so on.

Mario Lemieux was a whiner.
Gretzky was a whiner and was allowed to do whatever he wanted because the league had an unwritten "don't touch Gretzky" rule.
Marty Brodeur is fat and washed up year after year after year.
Dom Hasek is just lucky.
Crosby is a big wimp meanie that actually sucks and is ugly and stupid and lives with his owner and blah blah blah.
Ovechkin is a classless dangerous player that takes steroids and is a me-first player.
(Insert high pick here) is a bust because he's not tearing up the league as a rookie and I told you he'd never amount to anything blahblahblah.
And so on.
There was no league-wide hatred towards those teams (Detroit?? Are you ****ing kidding me?). Every team has their detractors, but guys stupid enough to make most the comments that condemned entire teams that you pointed out were rarely taken seriously or embraced league-wide like this.

Anaheim was definitely hated league-wide for a while, but it was in combination of the way they played and their success, not their success alone.

I just completely disagree with your perception of what's happened in past years.

Again, I'm not saying the criticism Vancouver receives is fair, but it isn't just because they're successful-- that's preposterous, IMO. It was because in the single run where they were exposed to most hockey fans, the way they were perceived to have played/acted inspired alot of negativity in people. And yes, maybe alot of unsuccessful teams would play in such a way that would inspire similar negativity had they had greater success and exposure, but all of them?? It just comes with the territory and has nothing to do with the team itself? Give me a break.

I think there's alot of pro-Vancouver bias and rose-coloured glasses in this thread. Like it or not, fair/uncharacteristic or not, Vancouver did not appear very favorably to viewers during their run in comparison to many other teams who have had great runs. Like other Canuck fans, I rationalized/excused them, and in my opinion, Boston was even worse, but I don't believe that this was the case for every team in the finals ever. Even I, biased in favor of Vancouver and everything, reacted more negatively to the way Vancouver handled themselves in certain situations than many other finals appearances from other teams.

Blame media bias and stories blown out of proportion, sure, but to blame it on jealousy couldn't be any more dumb, IMO.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-14-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old
01-14-2012, 03:05 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
I don't buy that at all.

I think that the leafs are already disliked. I agree that because they haven't won and have had miserable success lately, people aren't as vocal about it, and a sudden cup run would make the hate for them explode, but replace the leafs with a team like Ottawa or Montreal and I don't believe that they would be hated league-wide.

To be honest, I think alot of fans didn't like Vancouver all that much long before our cup run. They've just gotten more vocal about it with greater exposure.
I want your opinion on a few teams

Calgary Flames 03-04 vs Calgary Flames 10-11
Colorado Avalanche 03-04 vs. Colorado Avalanche 11-12
Toronto Maple Leafs 00-01 vs Toronto Maple Leafs 09-10
Ottawa Senators 06-07 vs. Ottawa Senators 10-11
Detroit 08-09 vs. Detroit 11-12

Think of how much you may have despised the earlier version of these teams when they were 'good' versus how irrelevant they are in the other years seemingly, because they are 'bad' or not as great as they were before.

Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal all had support in their runs recently because they were seen as the underdog and everyone loves that storyline.

Think of how much support we had from Eastern Conference teams 3-4 years ago in playoff runs when we were considered more 'underdogs'. That's pretty much the genesis of the flak we get, the underdog card.

When we faced the fresh faced Chicago Blackhawks in the playoffs, we were a pretty confident bunch, thought we'd make it to the finals, that were easy to hate because the underdog Blackhawks were more exciting. Couple that with Luongo melting down and the Hawks getting under our skins so that we lost our composure, it became something the media could run with not only that playoff series but in future years as well. It's easier to forgive the Hawks the first time we met for all their stupid antics because they were the underdogs. Similar to Boston this year, they were portrayed as the underdog, so it's ok to give them an 'edge' and ignore the stuff they do as compared to the Canucks.

We also have a very sensitive fan base that often can't just turn the cheek on what is said.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
I want your opinion on a few teams

Calgary Flames 03-04 vs Calgary Flames 10-11
Colorado Avalanche 03-04 vs. Colorado Avalanche 11-12
Toronto Maple Leafs 00-01 vs Toronto Maple Leafs 09-10
Ottawa Senators 06-07 vs. Ottawa Senators 10-11
Detroit 08-09 vs. Detroit 11-12

Think of how much you may have despised the earlier version of these teams when they were 'good' versus how irrelevant they are in the other years seemingly, because they are 'bad' or not as great as they were before.

Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal all had support in their runs recently because they were seen as the underdog and everyone loves that storyline.

Think of how much support we had from Eastern Conference teams 3-4 years ago in playoff runs when we were considered more 'underdogs'. That's pretty much the genesis of the flak we get, the underdog card.

When we faced the fresh faced Chicago Blackhawks in the playoffs, we were a pretty confident bunch, thought we'd make it to the finals, that were easy to hate because the underdog Blackhawks were more exciting. Couple that with Luongo melting down and the Hawks getting under our skins so that we lost our composure, it became something the media could run with not only that playoff series but in future years as well. It's easier to forgive the Hawks the first time we met for all their stupid antics because they were the underdogs. Similar to Boston this year, they were portrayed as the underdog, so it's ok to give them an 'edge' and ignore the stuff they do as compared to the Canucks.

We also have a very sensitive fan base that often can't just turn the cheek on what is said.
My opinion about those teams have actually been pretty consistent from when they were good vs. when they were bad-- I hated some of them and I liked some of them-- probably just as ignorant of an opinion that comes from making my mind up about them when they were good and sticking with that regardless of how they've changed because I didn't care enough to pay attention to them when they were bad.

Again, I agree that exposure has alot to do with how much anyone will care enough to hate a team-- which is how I felt about those underdog teams before I got to see them play firsthand. Again, some of them I ended up liking, some of them I didn't. Most of the ones I didn't like came from first-hand rivalry bias/hatred and should be taken with a grain of salt. Who knows how I'd feel about Calgary if we hadn't been knocked out by them and developed this heated rivalry. For the most part, they're just a team that at one point was tough and hard-working, but aren't anymore.

I never at any point felt anything negative towards Detroit, Ottawa, or Colorado. The Leafs and the Flames I'll probably just never like because they're the Leafs and the Flames. I don't like the Leafs or Flames any more now that they're miserable (although I definitely care less about them) than when they were good. And I never felt any animosity towards the way Detroit or Colorado played even when they were kicking everyone's ***es.

People don't hate a team just because they're successful, even though it helps, and people don't like a team just because they're not, even though they're easier to ignore when they're questionable.

Just like how people don't actually dislike popular music just because it's popular-- it's always a combination of legitimately disliking it as well as the popularity fanning the flames, and people don't like underground music just because it's underground, even though it's easier to ignore the ones that aren't any good.

These types of misconceptions really bother me. They're so reductive, ignorant, and stupid that it's like covering your ears and saying "Everyone's wrong and I'm right," coming up with some stupid excuse to easily write off the credibility of anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint.

I do however, buy into the underdog thing that you're saying. I do think that a bigger part of the hatred/ridiculing of the Canucks than simply because they're successful, is the fact that we've had many cases where we expected to be good (which might be perceived as arrogance), but failed in some spectacular fashion (that could be perceived as a mental collapse or choke). People generally don't support teams who go out in this fashion. I don't know if that's fair, but it makes more sense than "jealousy". People seem to make fun of the Sharks or Joe Thornton just like they do the Canucks and Henrik Sedin, and if were the Sharks who made it to the final, going out in a similar fashion, I'd expect closer to the same reaction, especially if the Sharks did some of whining that they've been known to do. Similarly, if we had convincingly beaten Boston, the choker tag instantly comes off Luongo, the soft pansies tag immediately comes off the Sedins, and suddenly there's alot less (but not nothing) to hate about the Canucks.

The hatred is more based on the perceived "character" of the team, fair or not, IMO. Again, blame the media for perpetuating some of that, but it has to come from somewhere other than just success and jealousy. For people who think otherwise, I can't help but think "Get over yourselves".

Edit: If anything, I think jealousy works against how much you hate a team. You're more likely to hate a team who is exposed/shoved down your throat, is portrayed to have questionable qualities, that you're NOT even jealous of and think are overrated/mentally weak that you don't believe deserves the success than you are a team who just dominates everyone that you're really envious of even taking into account questionable play (Boston).

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-14-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old
01-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Chubros

I think the Sedins are overlooked as a reason for this hatred. The best players on a team are the biggest reason to cheer for or against a team. Although Pittsburgh has Cooke, supposedly the most hated player in the league, whether or not you like that team pretty much comes down to whether or not you like Crosby. Although it is hard to find fans who outright say they hate the Canucks because of the Sedins, I think you'd be hard pressed to find people outside of Vancouver who say they are Sedin fans. Because out of market fans don't actively cheer for the Sedins, they find it hard to cheer for the team. Lack of support for the team turns to hatred when fans find themselves cheering for the opposition or focusing on our role players.

The reason why few fans cheer for the Sedins is that they are simply difficult to relate to. They are virtually indistinguishable, which is a bit freakish, and it makes them seem less human in a way, especially when combined with the uncanny way they play the game. Add to that their level-headed temperaments; they rarely lose their cool on the ice and never in front of the media. This lack of demonstrativeness makes it difficult to relate to them on a personal level. Cheering for the Sedins is like cheering for the Borg. They are highly efficient and methodical clones.

Though the world doesn't often come out and say outright that they hate the Sedins, there are all sorts swipes taken at them; media pundits openly insult them, fans call them soft, people question Henrik's captaincy, and even our own fanbase is sometimes guilty of not giving them the credit they deserve. Despite this lack of respect, all they show is pure class. They don't rise to public baiting, they never complain about anything, they always take personal responsibility for the team coming up short, and they made an unbelievable charitable donation after signing for less than they could have elsewhere.

Search all of pro sports and I doubt you will find an example of such morally upstanding human beings that are treated with such disrespect. Why? Human nature dictates that we fear those that are different from ourselves. People simply have a hard time relating to them because they are so unlike average human beings. Make no mistake, based on results alone, these guys are the league's biggest stars over the last two and a half seasons, yet they are not promoted that way because they are not marketable. Their lack of marketability is the same reason why people don't cheer for the Canucks: they are hard to relate to and therefore difficult to like.

I for one, am an unconditional fan of the Sedins and of the team. On the flip side, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who avows hatred for the Canucks who doesn't hold the Sedins in disdain. A lot of people are probably unaware of the connection.

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:15 PM
gurfling

I dunno, I think a lot of it has to do with all the extra coverage everyone gets nowadays.

People just have so much more information at their disposal, with all the extra coverage you have a lot more bad journalists and people writing about the sport, so fans of other teams read this garbage and take it as gospel, and so hate the Canucks when really they have done nothing except be good.

gurfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:55 PM
rusty890

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Yeah, that's the really annoying one. "Constant complaining to the refs". I don't care about the hate in general, it's when stuff like that just gets repeated ad nauseum by people who clearly just bought into whatever they were told by people playing up the good guys vs bad guys schtick and only watch a game or two a season I just shake my head. I don't mind if the hate is genuinely earned, it's when people just stick a label on and never bother to watch the team and find out if it's apt that annoys me.

And this isn't some "Oh noes, somebody says mean things about my team!!!1!!!" thing for me, I'm just getting sick and tired of not being able to have even the most basic conversation about the Canucks outside this forum without it degenerating into a flame/spam war within two or three pages.
Yep. The hate for the Canucks is like a religious or ideological fervor - it is utterly impervious to facts. The biggest thing for Canuck fans to learn is to not try to reason people out of a position that they were not reasoned into. They are determined to hate and you cannot stop them.

rusty890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:55 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui

This is funny.

I'm flat out telling you why a lot of people dislike the Canucks. This isn't a guess. It's what I feel and what many other people who I've spoken to feel.

Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre, and Luongo come across as whiny, dirty, and arrogant, while Vigneault and Gillis come across as whiny and arrogant as well.

Are they whinier, dirtier, or more arrogant than other players? Not necessarily; the media could certainly be playing a large part.

But if you're asking the question, you can't just put your fingers in your ears and say "No, no, it's just because we're successful, and because people always cheer for the underdog" while others (including some Canucks fans) are giving you real answers.

Last edited by ZugNugget: 01-14-2012 at 06:13 PM.
ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:01 PM
rusty890

Quote:
The complaining to the refs bit is such ********.

1) EVERY player in the league does it at some point. Heck one of the most highly regarded players in the league, Toews, is perhaps one of the worst offenders for it. Yet he never gets crapped on.

2) You don't know what they are saying and if they are actually whining, or if they're whining about what you think they are.

3) Just because after a scrum or something they turn to the refs doesn't mean they are complaining or "looking" for a call, you do know that the refs speak to the players and that most people turn to the direction of where someone is getting yelled at/talked to from.

It's a myth that has exploded for the Canucks with greater traction thanks to idiotic media homers (for example Dan Tencer and Jack Edwards) and people on the internet who gobble up what those type of people say and the group-think mentality otherwise that creates this self-fulfilling prophecy situation that make it seem that they are the worst.

Canucks whine, but they whine no more than any other team or player in the league. They're just 'called' for it more because they are one of the more relevant teams that is easy to hate.
The question becomes "Why are they gobbling it up". It is because they already hate the Canucks and are looking for things that confirm their bias. They will then amplify those things across the media and this board leaving out the context because it would destroy their case.

rusty890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:08 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
I think the Sedins are overlooked as a reason for this hatred. The best players on a team are the biggest reason to cheer for or against a team. Although Pittsburgh has Cooke, supposedly the most hated player in the league, whether or not you like that team pretty much comes down to whether or not you like Crosby. Although it is hard to find fans who outright say they hate the Canucks because of the Sedins, I think you'd be hard pressed to find people outside of Vancouver who say they are Sedin fans. Because out of market fans don't actively cheer for the Sedins, they find it hard to cheer for the team. Lack of support for the team turns to hatred when fans find themselves cheering for the opposition or focusing on our role players.

The reason why few fans cheer for the Sedins is that they are simply difficult to relate to. They are virtually indistinguishable, which is a bit freakish, and it makes them seem less human in a way, especially when combined with the uncanny way they play the game. Add to that their level-headed temperaments; they rarely lose their cool on the ice and never in front of the media. This lack of demonstrativeness makes it difficult to relate to them on a personal level. Cheering for the Sedins is like cheering for the Borg. They are highly efficient and methodical clones.

Though the world doesn't often come out and say outright that they hate the Sedins, there are all sorts swipes taken at them; media pundits openly insult them, fans call them soft, people question Henrik's captaincy, and even our own fanbase is sometimes guilty of not giving them the credit they deserve. Despite this lack of respect, all they show is pure class. They don't rise to public baiting, they never complain about anything, they always take personal responsibility for the team coming up short, and they made an unbelievable charitable donation after signing for less than they could have elsewhere.

Search all of pro sports and I doubt you will find an example of such morally upstanding human beings that are treated with such disrespect. Why? Human nature dictates that we fear those that are different from ourselves. People simply have a hard time relating to them because they are so unlike average human beings. Make no mistake, based on results alone, these guys are the league's biggest stars over the last two and a half seasons, yet they are not promoted that way because they are not marketable. Their lack of marketability is the same reason why people don't cheer for the Canucks: they are hard to relate to and therefore difficult to like.

I for one, am an unconditional fan of the Sedins and of the team. On the flip side, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who avows hatred for the Canucks who doesn't hold the Sedins in disdain. A lot of people are probably unaware of the connection.
This. This this this.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:18 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
This is funny.

I'm flat out telling you why a lot of people dislike the Canucks. This isn't a guess. It's what I feel and what many other people who I've spoken to feels.

Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre, and Luongo come across as whiny, dirty, and arrogant, while Vigneault and Gillis come across as whiny and arrogant as well.

Are they whinier, dirtier, or more arrogant than other players? Not necessarily; the media could certainly be playing a large part.

But if you're asking the question, you can't just put your fingers in your ears and say "No, no, it's just because we're successful, and because people always cheer for the underdog" while others (including some Canucks fans) are giving you real answers.
Yes. An Oiler fan giving his unbiased opinion. Stop being so butt hurt that the Oilers "future" is a 20 years and counting plan of having a competitive team.

Taylor Hall dives and whines and cries on the ice every game.

Eberle, same thing.

Nugent has also caught on and done his best to blend in.

Ryan Smyth. Dirty and a diver. Shocking. Hemsky is a diver. Peckham is a dirty plug who is your new stortini.

Your coach whines and cries after almost every game. Although I doNt blame him. Must suck coaching in edmonton.

Your GM had to go cry to the in house statistician because they set a franchise low for shots and didn't want it to be registered.

The reason no one hates the Oilers is because they suck and are irrelevant. The players sure don't seem to like Edmonton, considering no decent player wants to sign there.

The Canucks are cocky and back it up. Especially against lesser teams like Edmonton.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
This is funny.

I'm flat out telling you why a lot of people dislike the Canucks. This isn't a guess. It's what I feel and what many other people who I've spoken to feel.

All of that may be true, but if the Canucks rolled over every night like the Oilers do then no one would care.

They are hated because they are a top team that has a lot of edge to their game.

It's not surprising that they are hated, though the reason they are "the most hated" is mostly media driven.

All of Alberta and Toronto hate us automatically, Chicago, Boston, and LA also all hate us because we have played them all in very hotly contested playoff series.

Alberta, Toronto, Chicago, LA, Boston, NBC, and CBC, pretty much make up 75% of the total media, so really it's no wonder that the Canucks hate reached a fever pitch during last years post season.

The Bruins on the other hand are far worse then the Canucks, but the western parts of the US and canada are mostly ambivalent. HNIC love them as do NBC. Toronto doesn't care that much, and neither does the NY area (although the hate is growing big time in both areas).

Montreal detests the Bruins but their media is totally disconnected due to cultural barriers.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:37 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Yes. An Oiler fan giving his unbiased opinion. Stop being so butt hurt that the Oilers "future" is a 20 years and counting plan of having a competitive team.

Taylor Hall dives and whines and cries on the ice every game.

Eberle, same thing.

Nugent has also caught on and done his best to blend in.

Ryan Smyth. Dirty and a diver. Shocking. Hemsky is a diver. Peckham is a dirty plug who is your new stortini.

Your coach whines and cries after almost every game. Although I doNt blame him. Must suck coaching in edmonton.

Your GM had to go cry to the in house statistician because they set a franchise low for shots and didn't want it to be registered.

The reason no one hates the Oilers is because they suck and are irrelevant. The players sure don't seem to like Edmonton, considering no decent player wants to sign there.

The Canucks are cocky and back it up. Especially against lesser teams like Edmonton.
You'd think a guy could bring up why the Canucks are hated in a thread called "why the Canucks are hated". What does Edmonton have to do with anything?

Like I said in my post, "Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre, and Luongo come across as whiny, dirty, and arrogant, while Vigneault and Gillis come across as whiny and arrogant as well." They do. That's how they're perceived by many players, by a lot of media, by other coaches and GMs.

Also like I said, "[a]re they whinier, dirtier, or more arrogant than other players? Not necessarily; the media could certainly be playing a large part."

I'm not sure why you're so upset with what I wrote and got, to use your own vocabulary, butt hurt about it. Understand that that's the way the Canucks are largely perceived. You can choose not to care about it (which is exactly what I would do if I were a Canucks fan) or you can choose to be upset about it and make threads about it every few weeks. Enjoy the consistent winning, and tune out the rest.

Old
01-14-2012, 06:42 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
You'd think a guy could bring up why the Canucks are hated in a thread called "why the Canucks are hated". What does Edmonton have to do with anything?

Like I said in my post, "Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre, and Luongo come across as whiny, dirty, and arrogant, while Vigneault and Gillis come across as whiny and arrogant as well." They do. That's how they're perceived by many players, by a lot of media, by other coaches and GMs.

Also like I said, "[a]re they whinier, dirtier, or more arrogant than other players? Not necessarily; the media could certainly be playing a large part."

I'm not sure why you're so upset with what I wrote and got, to use your own vocabulary, butt hurt about it. Understand that that's the way the Canucks are largely perceived. You can choose not to care about it (which is exactly what I would do if I were a Canucks fan) or you can choose to be upset about it and make threads about it every few weeks. Enjoy the consistent winning, and tune out the rest.
I'm not upset with what you wrote. It's laughable to me when people say stuff and act like their **** dont stink.

There isn't any difference most teams in the league yet people always see what they want to see.

And yes, I don't care what others think. I do however get annoyed by national media outlets that are supposed to be objective but are far from it.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
How come all the other teams that have missed the playoffs once and failed to win the cup even once in the past five years aren't hated so much?
Man up! sheesh!

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:06 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
I'm not upset with what you wrote. It's laughable to me when people say stuff and act like their **** dont stink.

There isn't any difference most teams in the league yet people always see what they want to see.

And yes, I don't care what others think. I do however get annoyed by national media outlets that are supposed to be objective but are far from it.
That's fair, actually. I did come across that way, my bad.

It's not just the media though, that perceives the Canucks this way. Many players from teams that the Canucks played against feel the same way. The obvious thing to point out is that, "Well, of course they don't like the Canucks, they're playing a grueling series against them and are probably not going to beat the Canucks".

But this kind of talk didn't happen in the Red Wings/San Jose series or the Nashville/Anaheim series. Or any other series for that matter (other than perhaps the Canadiens/Bruins, to a lesser extent).

I don't think players develop their opinions about other teams from the media, but fans certainly develop their opinions about other teams in part from players' opinions. For example, when the media makes claims that the Canucks are divers, people listen and figure that the Canucks are probably divers. But that opinion is strengthened when Dan Boyle, an otherwise quiet guy who doesn't speak negatively about other teams, says the same thing, after playing against the Canucks.

You could say that the Canucks don't dive more, aren't dirtier, don't whine more, and aren't more arrogant than than any other team, and that virtually every non-Vancouver media source, a relatively high number of players, and some GMs and coaches who all feel that they do are just jealous or are somehow missing some sort of essential truth. But it doesn't seem like the most obvious answer.

Old
01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Yammer

Quote:

You could say that the Canucks don't dive more, aren't dirtier, don't whine more, and aren't more arrogant than than any other team, and that virtually every non-Vancouver media source, a relatively high number of players, and some GMs and coaches who all feel that they do are just jealous or are somehow missing some sort of essential truth. But it doesn't seem like the most obvious answer.
I agree. It comes from somewhere. It is exaggerated, but the hate has a basis.

And Kelly IS a nice girl, damn it

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 08:36 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:

The hatred is more based on the perceived "character" of the team, fair or not, IMO. Again, blame the media for perpetuating some of that, but it has to come from somewhere other than just success and jealousy. For people who think otherwise, I can't help but think "Get over yourselves".

Answer this

Andrew Ladd - villain in Chicago - "hero" in Winnipeg.

Old
01-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
The Wild are softer than the Canucks. Nice try though.
Who cares, being tough means **** when your team is horrible.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Answer this

Andrew Ladd - villain in Chicago - "hero" in Winnipeg.
Is Ladd hated anywhere other than in Vancouver?