HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Around the League X

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
  #226
Nex06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Wings one goal down after same mistake Kings did : bad line change. I think teams should be much nastier when it comes to that, trying to exploit line changes more often.

Nex06 is offline  
Old
01-23-2012, 10:48 PM
  #227
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,387
vCash: 500
Tim Thomas Refuses to Visit the White House

Quote:
Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas released the following statement Monday evening regarding his absence from the Bruins' visit to the White House this afternoon:

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=613279

I love this guy!

johnjm22 is offline  
Old
01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
  #228
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nv.
Country: United States
Posts: 26,163
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Tim Thomas Refuses to Visit the White House


http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=613279

I love this guy!
I'll let the announcement stand, but everyone be forewarned that discussion of politics needs to take place on the politics boards: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1088771

Any political discussion here will be deleted.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline  
Old
01-23-2012, 10:56 PM
  #229
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
one time edmonton.

bobafettish* is offline  
Old
01-23-2012, 11:25 PM
  #230
LAsusan
Dry Island
 
LAsusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
Edmonton wins in a shootout.

LAsusan is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 12:11 AM
  #231
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,387
vCash: 500
Kind of OT, but I thought this was interesting and post worthy:

Quote:
From Jan. 7-18, SportsCenter Devoted 13.5 Minutes to Hockey Total, And Other Fun Facts

TIME DEVOTED TO INDIVIDUAL SPORTS
NFL: 225.5 minutes (40.2%)
NBA: 106.5 (19%)
College basketball: 76 (13.6%)
College football: 55 (9.8%)
MLB: 16.75 (2.9%)
NHL: 13.5 (2.4%)
Other sports: 18 (3.2%)
SportsCenter staples (things like the "Top 10," "Encore," "What 2 Watch 4," etc.): 48.75 (8.7%)

ESPN doesn't give a **** about the NHL:
Perhaps this isn't shocking to most of the audience, but the extent to which The Worldwide Leader ignores hockey is astounding. Despite being in the middle of the regular season, the sport was granted all of 13.5 minutes, or less than three percent of the content. That's less time than was devoted to the MLB, a sport in the middle of an offseason with few newsworthy events since Albert Pujols joined the Angels in December. The NHL is the only major sport that does not have a television deal with ESPN.

MOST-MENTIONED ATHLETES:
Tim Tebow: 154 mentions
Aaron Rodgers: 54
LeBron James: 52
Tom Brady: 45
Kobe Bryant: 38
Dwyane Wade: 38
Drew Brees: 30
Alex Smith: 25
Demaryius Thomas: 23
Eli Manning: 22
http://deadspin.com/5878032/bristolm...f-sportscenter

johnjm22 is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 12:33 AM
  #232
LAsusan
Dry Island
 
LAsusan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
Feisty Howard
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=152069

LAsusan is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:29 AM
  #233
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France
 
savemefromtears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: City of Angels
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
And Kelly started a fight win a visor on and only got an extra 2 minutes, just unsportsmanlike conduct instead of the instigator. . The NHL refs are so inconsistent across the league.

Richards gets an extra 4 and a misconduct for the same play.
Thank God in retrospect Richards spoke out about it.

Hopefully the league looks into this and makes some adjustments.

savemefromtears is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 08:03 AM
  #234
Inner Turbulence
Registered User
 
Inner Turbulence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
And Kelly started a fight win a visor on and only got an extra 2 minutes, just unsportsmanlike conduct instead of the instigator. . The NHL refs are so inconsistent across the league.

Richards gets an extra 4 and a misconduct for the same play.
I think there was a subtle, yet important, difference in the situations. Kelly had a visor and the guy he fought had a visor.

For Mike Richards he instigated a fight with a player who DIDN'T have a visor. And there is all the difference I believe. If you instigate a fight while wearing a visor against a guy who doesn't then it is a mandatory Misconduct + Unsportsmanlike.

At least that is what my fuzzy memory can recall from the Richards' incident. Jim Fox explained it during the game as he had received an email from Toronto on the subject.

Inner Turbulence is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 09:50 AM
  #235
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,884
vCash: 500
Reminder... this is around the league. Please stay on topic.

TonySCV is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 09:54 AM
  #236
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 8,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I'm glad the Ducks are winning some games. I don't want them to get a top 5 pick.
GMs have been known to miss on top 5 picks before, so... the lower the Ducks finish the better.

Butch 19 is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 10:32 AM
  #237
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Turbulence View Post
I think there was a subtle, yet important, difference in the situations. Kelly had a visor and the guy he fought had a visor.

For Mike Richards he instigated a fight with a player who DIDN'T have a visor. And there is all the difference I believe. If you instigate a fight while wearing a visor against a guy who doesn't then it is a mandatory Misconduct + Unsportsmanlike.

At least that is what my fuzzy memory can recall from the Richards' incident. Jim Fox explained it during the game as he had received an email from Toronto on the subject.
I was gonna say the same thing and I want to sound like I know what I'm talking aobut so I quoted you and responded. In all seriousness, I thought the rule was guy with a visor gets the extra penalty when the other guy doesn't have a visor. Anyone know for sure?

Buddy The Elf is online now  
Old
01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
  #238
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
GMs have been known to miss on top 5 picks before, so... the lower the Ducks finish the better.
This draft is supposedly REALLY good, so i'd rather thay not have a shot at Dumba, Murray or Ceci.

KopitarFAN is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
  #239
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
This draft is supposedly REALLY good, so i'd rather thay not have a shot at Dumba, Murray or Ceci.
Yea they are really talkin this draft up. They kind of do that every year but still....this one more then usual.

Jason Lewis is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 01:18 PM
  #240
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
Uhhhh wow.


http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home


Kind of a ******** excuse there Ovi.....

Jason Lewis is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 01:21 PM
  #241
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Uhhhh wow.


http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home


Kind of a ******** excuse there Ovi.....
I kind of agree. The media is going to make such a big deal about it. It's up to him. He hasn't even been playing that well in the first place.

Shellz is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
  #242
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,615
vCash: 500
The all star game is such a waste of time.

Buddy The Elf is online now  
Old
01-24-2012, 02:11 PM
  #243
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,268
vCash: 500
I'm not sure who I want to win tonight... SJ or Calgary...

kingsholygrail is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
  #244
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
The all star game is such a waste of time.
They all are. I don't really watch any of the all-star games. It's really more of an excuse for the players to get a break and the GMs to get together before the trade deadline than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I'm not sure who I want to win tonight... SJ or Calgary...
Calgary. The Sharks' board is almost as bi-polar as we are. Someone started a thread last night after their SO loss to Edmonton asking if the Sharks are the most boring team in the NHL. Seriously?

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 02:41 PM
  #245
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I'm not sure who I want to win tonight... SJ or Calgary...
Calgary, but a regulation win either way is fine with me.

The Pacific winner would get at least a 3 seed.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:11 PM
  #246
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I kind of agree. The media is going to make such a big deal about it. It's up to him. He hasn't even been playing that well in the first place.
I'll agree. He hasn't been that good. But to use his absence at the all-star game as some form of protest to his suspension. Pretty silly imo.

Jason Lewis is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:17 PM
  #247
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 11,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Yea they are really talkin this draft up. They kind of do that every year but still....this one more then usual.
They kinda talked down 2011, at least in terms of the depth in the bottom half of the first round. I thought that the Kings and Predators trading their top pick was two good scouting staffs relaying that they wouldn't be giving up first line/pairing talent.

This draft was supposed to be reminiscent of 2008 with the number of good D prospects. Then you have Yakupov, who broke Steven Stamkos' junior franchise rookie record for goals, slated to go #1. There's been quite a few injuries to guys slated in the top 20, so it seems like a little more of a guessing game than usual.

To me, the trade deadline is usually a bit representative of the first round draft quality. In 2006/07, both drafts were thought to be average/below average. Then we saw 1st rounders swapped for not so elite talent like Brendan Witt, Craig Rivet, a productive but aging Bill Guerin, Shane O'Brien, etc. In 2008, only San Jose dealt their first.

Brodeur is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:19 PM
  #248
cheap77
Go Kings!
 
cheap77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
They all are. I don't really watch any of the all-star games. It's really more of an excuse for the players to get a break and the GMs to get together before the trade deadline than anything else.



Calgary. The Sharks' board is almost as bi-polar as we are. Someone started a thread last night after their SO loss to Edmonton asking if the Sharks are the most boring team in the NHL. Seriously?
Wow. Those sharks don't know how good they have it.

They have one of the best coaches in the league.

They have really good players that are fun to watch.

They score goals.

And they contend for the cup and win the division almost every year.

They don't have a cup yet, but they have only been around 20 years or so.

cheap77 is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
  #249
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
They kinda talked down 2011, at least in terms of the depth in the bottom half of the first round. I thought that the Kings and Predators trading their top pick was two good scouting staffs relaying that they wouldn't be giving up first line/pairing talent.

This draft was supposed to be reminiscent of 2008 with the number of good D prospects. Then you have Yakupov, who broke Steven Stamkos' junior franchise rookie record for goals, slated to go #1. There's been quite a few injuries to guys slated in the top 20, so it seems like a little more of a guessing game than usual.

To me, the trade deadline is usually a bit representative of the first round draft quality. In 2006/07, both drafts were thought to be average/below average. Then we saw 1st rounders swapped for not so elite talent like Brendan Witt, Craig Rivet, a productive but aging Bill Guerin, Shane O'Brien, etc. In 2008, only San Jose dealt their first.
Nice post man, yea actually that's really heads up scouting and a good gage.

And Yakupov currently is a debated #1. That's kind of scary to think about.

That a guy who could go MAYBE in the 3 or 4 spot (Behind arguably Grigorenko, Murray, Dumba depending on what teams have 1/2/3 pick.) Is as good or better then Stamkos.

Jason Lewis is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:36 PM
  #250
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Turbulence View Post
I think there was a subtle, yet important, difference in the situations. Kelly had a visor and the guy he fought had a visor.

For Mike Richards he instigated a fight with a player who DIDN'T have a visor. And there is all the difference I believe. If you instigate a fight while wearing a visor against a guy who doesn't then it is a mandatory Misconduct + Unsportsmanlike.

At least that is what my fuzzy memory can recall from the Richards' incident. Jim Fox explained it during the game as he had received an email from Toronto on the subject.
I went ahead and looked it up because I as curious.

Here is the rule:

Quote:
(iv) When a player, including a goalkeeper, is penalized for being the instigator of an altercation and who is wearing a face shield.
Quote:
6.6 Face Protection - If a player penalized as an instigator of an altercation is wearing a face shield (including a goalkeeper), he shall be assessed an additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Should the player (including a goalkeeper) who instigates the fight be wearing a face shield, but removes it before instigating the altercation, the additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty shall not apply.

They only called unsportsmanlike in the Philly game, no instigator. I think they did not make the right call. The condition for getting a minor for wearing a face shield is being the instigator which is a penalty in itself. It is either all (4 mins) or nothing with the face shield instigator. It appears it does not matter if the other guy has a shield or not.

Buddy The Elf is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.