HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundquist

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Lundquist

how GOOD has this guy been so far this year. Look at those numbers, wow. He's obviously the top keeper in Sweeden, right?

Old
10-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
how GOOD has this guy been so far this year. Look at those numbers, wow. He's obviously the top keeper in Sweeden, right?
I'm as big a fan of Lundqvist as any, but let's see what happens over at least 1/2 of the season before anointing him the next coming.

Also, it's good to remember that Lundqvist practiced with the World Cup team--he's in mid-season form.

Old
10-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Prucha73

I can't believe those ******** didn't let him play in the World Cup.

Old
10-08-2004, 05:00 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
I can't believe those ******** didn't let him play in the World Cup.
Especially when you consider how Salo and Tellqvist were playing (awful...)

I'm not annoyed that the Swedes got Salo anymore

Old
10-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Especially when you consider how Salo and Tellqvist were playing (awful...)

I'm not annoyed that the Swedes got Salo anymore
i think i read somewhere it was because the games were played on smaller nhl ice surfaces. i could be wrong though

Old
10-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Balej20*

i heard that too, they felt Lundquist wouldn't be ready for the NHL size ice or some crap

Old
10-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Stop and think about it for a second...

Did you really want Lundqvist's first game experience on the smaller ice surfaces to come against the best players in the world?

Why would anyone want to do that to a young goaltender, especially when many of the games were played in Sweden and there was tremendous interest there?

The Swedes did absolutely the right thing. Once Lundqvist gains a little more experience (and assuming he continues to improve and impress) he'll be Sweden's starting goaltender for the next 10 years.

Old
10-12-2004, 04:57 AM
Thundermare

Smaller Ice Rink

Why does everybody make such a big thing of smaller ice rink experieence. If anything shouldn't it be easier for a goalie since the game is so much slower and defensive on smaller ice surface.

Old
10-12-2004, 05:46 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
Lundqvist is arguably the best goalie in the SEL. It's not just his stats, he plays a very mature game. He is cool and reads the game well, and of course his huge pads helps him a bit.

He should have been given a chance during the WC. Even the stupid media in Sweden is starting to realize that now. The Rags has a great prospect in Lundqvist..

Old
10-12-2004, 07:20 AM
Ola

Its only speculation how well Lundqvist would have played in the WC but I doubt there is anyone with insight in Sweden who wouldn´t like to turn the clock back and give him the starting job. But Hardy was confident with Tellqvist who played for him for 2 years in Djurgården and didn´t want to "gamble" with Lundqvist. There was also very little time with only three exhebition games.

Quote:
Lundqvist has said several times in interviews that he is extremly motivated to prove that he is the best goalie in Sweden. I am impressed with his play but I am even more impressed with his attitude... Lundqvist plays for a good team with a extremely good penalty kill. They have two PK tandems with PJ Axelsson(boston)-Sammy Pahlson(anaheim) and Niklas Andersson(younger brother of ex ranger Mikael)-Tomi Kallio who have killed of 97% of all powerplays which defenitly has helped Lundqvists stats. What I am getting at is that despite he plays for the best team in SEL he has worked extremly hard in all situations(like beeing up 4-0 with a period to go) to play as good as possible. The start he has had in the SEL has really built up his confidence. He is starting to sound like Kipper in some situations, you know "I didn´t really have any problem with saving any of the shots today"...

Old
10-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
You could always take a look at Johan's prospect progress report of Lundqvist over at eliteprospects.com. Enjoy...

Old
10-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartender
Why does everybody make such a big thing of smaller ice rink experieence. If anything shouldn't it be easier for a goalie since the game is so much slower and defensive on smaller ice surface.
Because it is a very different game for a goalie. There are different angles because with the smaller rinks players have the ability to shoot from the boards and get off a good shot. Also, there is much more activity around the net in a smaller rink and players are much more physical here and there is much more tolerance for bumping the goalie here (and running him over).

I don't think Lundqvist will take years to adjust, but it probably would be helpful for him to get some experience in the minors before he is thrown into NHL play. Hopefully, if there is hockey next season, he will be ready by Christmas to come up and start his NHL career.

Old
10-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Because it is a very different game for a goalie. There are different angles because with the smaller rinks players have the ability to shoot from the boards and get off a good shot. Also, there is much more activity around the net in a smaller rink and players are much more physical here and there is much more tolerance for bumping the goalie here (and running him over).

I don't think Lundqvist will take years to adjust, but it probably would be helpful for him to get some experience in the minors before he is thrown into NHL play. Hopefully, if there is hockey next season, he will be ready by Christmas to come up and start his NHL career.
Good call. Its not that a goalie has to change his game/style. Its more a that he has to get used to the pace and like you said that the shoots will come from all angles of the ice and at all times. You know the SEL game is kind of like having Hlavac-Nedved-Dvorak on the ice for 60 minutes.

Also for a goaltender confidence is A&O, in the minors he will be able to get used to the pace and build confidence at the same time. Getting killed in the NHL won´t help him all that much. But if he were put in a position like Blackie was his rookie year I am not sure if it would "kill him".

Old
10-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Good call. Its not that a goalie has to change his game/style. Its more a that he has to get used to the pace and like you said that the shoots will come from all angles of the ice and at all times. You know the SEL game is kind of like having Hlavac-Nedved-Dvorak on the ice for 60 minutes.

Also for a goaltender confidence is A&O, in the minors he will be able to get used to the pace and build confidence at the same time. Getting killed in the NHL won´t help him all that much. But if he were put in a position like Blackie was his rookie year I am not sure if it would "kill him".
But there's no reason to rush him at this point. He's had the best experience in the world to get ready, but a couple of months in the AHL would not be a step back. It would only complete his education and help with his transition.

Of course, after watching Sather and Co. over the last 4 years leads me to imagine that they will manage to screw this up somehow.

Old
10-12-2004, 06:05 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Is there any reason why he is not on the Wolf Pack?

Old
10-12-2004, 06:31 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER#11
Is there any reason why he is not on the Wolf Pack?
Blackburn. He could/would/should/might/is supposed to be back in December (or that was the case this summer). And with the NHl influx to the SEL they could both develop.

Old
10-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Blackburn. He could/would/should/might/is supposed to be back in December (or that was the case this summer). And with the NHl influx to the SEL they could both develop.
That's only part of it. If the Rangers had signed Lundqvist they would have had to pay his Swedish team a transfer fee. Needless to say it wouldn't have been chump change we're talking about (one rumor had it at $400,000).

Closed Thread